User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 2 Aug 2006, 13:35   #1
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of
Video Game Violence

I was watching the news and saw this story http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14027019/.

This story makes me wonder why people say that video games don't inspire violence.
Unread 2 Aug 2006, 14:04   #2
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future
Re: Video Game Violence

Argh...must...refrain from childish....insults....aaarrrgghh.

The video game didn't inspire the violence, the fact that the men LOST at a competitive game inspired it. They were nutters before they started playing computer games.
Unread 2 Aug 2006, 14:14   #3
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

I was completely in the assumption that he original poster was being sarcastic
Unread 2 Aug 2006, 14:16   #4
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't know about you but when I lost 12 pegasus the other day after being roided I was so MAD I wanted to just, I dunno, THROW MY MOUNTAIN DEW ACROSS THE ROOM
Unread 2 Aug 2006, 14:28   #5
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

But the argument was over property?
Unread 2 Aug 2006, 14:40   #6
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

hmm.. exactly. I fail to see how video game violence applies. Unless poster tried to initiate sarcastic analogy, wich is inappropriate in this situation.

Kid got scumbaged out of his property, so he got mad and killed people, now he is gonna die himself, also draggin his friend into the same exact situation and another friend to, most likely, life in jail. I dont find it a good enough reason for sarcastic remarks. Its a serious reason for intelligent discussion, rather then poor attempts at cynicall humor.
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you

Last edited by Mighteh; 2 Aug 2006 at 15:02.
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2006, 15:14   #7
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
I don't know about you but when I lost 12 pegasus the other day after being roided I was so MAD I wanted to just, I dunno, THROW MY MOUNTAIN DEW ACROSS THE ROOM
haha I remember one time when we were kids Jordan got his pegasus riding highelf hero killed due to some really bad dice rolls and his army pretty much got routed and he had a massive tantrum coz he lost so later he put one of Mike's expensive models under his foot when Mike wasnt looking and told Mike to stamp on his foot so he did and his model got broken then he went crazy and they had a fight good times man
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2006, 15:16   #8
ceres

ceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud of

Actually i'd say it was the lack of video games that provoked the violence...
________
HEAD SHOP

Last edited by ceres; 31 Aug 2011 at 07:10.
ceres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2006, 15:17   #9
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I'm sure these upstanding gentlemen would have done nothing bad had they not played computer games.

Tomkat is a thug !
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2006, 15:20   #10
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighteh
Kid got scumbaged out of his property, so he got mad and killed people, now he is gonna die himself, also draggin his friend into the same exact situation and another friend to, most likely, life in jail. I dont find it a good enough reason for sarcastic remarks. Its a serious reason for intelligent discussion, rather then poor attempts at cynicall humor.
yeah, totally

so what are your thoughts on this matter?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2006, 17:52   #11
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Who says this?
‘Video games beget violence’, it's been used by parental groups for years (at least in the US) to blame teen and adolecent violence.
Quote:
What do they even mean when they say this?
It's just another way parents decide to shift the blame of there children's violence and criminal behaviour to someone else, because it couldn't be there fault that there children are violent.
Quote:
What does that remotely have to do with the story you posted?
The X-Box (which is a type of video game), was one of the factors in motive.
Quote:
Why were you hoping for when you start this thread?
A discussion on whether or not people believe that overuse of video games does actually lead to violence in children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
I was completely in the assumption that he original poster was being sarcastic
Actually it was more facetiousness than sarcasm. I was merely trying to point out the stupidity of the man planning with his friends to murder his ex-gf and whoever was in the house or wherever with her, just because she got him evicted and took his X-box.
Unread 2 Aug 2006, 18:45   #12
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
The X-Box (which is a type of video game), was one of the factors in motive.

I was merely trying to point out the stupidity of the man planning with his friends to murder his ex-gf and whoever was in the house or wherever with her, just because she got him evicted and took his X-box.
I've only read the link you've posted and there was practically no information in it so this post my hold some innacuracies.

First off she was being a vindicive bitch (whether or not she had the right to be is an issue I'm not bothered with). Her intention (from what little I've seen) was to piss him off. Clearly she suceeded.

the fact that she was in posession of his games console (among other things) is of little relevance if she kept it because it was one of his favourite things. It could have been literally anything, from a guitar to a stuffed toy he had since he was a child.

Plus she got him evicted. And being his ex-gf you might have thought she would have noticed in him potential violent tendances. (I have no info on this but if anyone wants to add truth to this comment please feel free)

Clearly, this guy was crazy and this theft (for want of a better word) was just the catalyst. It was her actions that caused the incident, not the games console.

I am not in any way attempting to justify these killings, but I see no reason why the fact an X-Box being kept was mentioned except for all the hysteria surrounding the 'video games cause violence' argument.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2006, 19:16   #13
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
‘The X-Box (which is a type of video game), was one of the factors in motive.

A discussion on whether or not people believe that overuse of video games does actually lead to violence in children.
I think theft of property was the motive, the fact that it was a video game was inconsequential. There probably would have been the same results had they stolen a TV, but we already know that TV is responsible for the breakdown of society.

I don't think this could really be attributed to video games, there's no "kill people who stole your property" simulation, it's a totally different situation to say a teenager playing GTA going out, dragging someone from their car kicking them in the head and speeding off which is what the majority of the groups you talk about cite examples of how video games promote violence.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2006, 19:28   #14
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
I've only read the link you've posted and there was practically no information in it so this post my hold some innacuracies.
I found a link with a few more details.
Quote:
First off she was being a vindicive bitch (whether or not she had the right to be is an issue I'm not bothered with). Her intention (from what little I've seen) was to piss him off. Clearly she suceeded.
Reading this previous story, it seems that the girl didn't specifically take the X-Box out of vindictiveness, merely was clearing out his stuff from her grandparent's house after finding him living there. I seriously doubt she did it just to piss him off, surely if you had an ex who was 'squatting' at your grandparents house you would have them thrown out, not because you were trying to piss them off, but because they have no right to be there.
Quote:
the fact that she was in posession of his games console (among other things) is of little relevance if she kept it because it was one of his favourite things. It could have been literally anything, from a guitar to a stuffed toy he had since he was a child.
I will agree, the game console itself may just be seen as a favorite possession, however the point I was trying to make is whether or not people believe that the use of video games can inspire violent behaviour, I just merely used this story as an example due to the fact that a video console was a key factor in the case.
Quote:
Plus she got him evicted. And being his ex-gf you might have thought she would have noticed in him potential violent tendances. (I have no info on this but if anyone wants to add truth to this comment please feel free)
I'll agree to this, perhaps it wasn't wise for her to keep his things after having him evicted.
Quote:
Clearly, this guy was crazy and this theft (for want of a better word) was just the catalyst. It was her actions that caused the incident, not the games console.
I'll also agree to this, the guy was crazy. However, his obsession with the game console was what lead to this tragedy.
Quote:
I am not in any way attempting to justify these killings, but I see no reason why the fact an X-Box being kept was mentioned except for all the hysteria surrounding the 'video games cause violence' argument.
Yes, I was just using thie particular case as an example because it dealt with the obsession of the video game itself leading to the tragedy.
Unread 2 Aug 2006, 21:12   #15
Opi
Ensign

Opi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to all

Quote:
Yes, I was just using thie particular case as an example because it dealt with the obsession of the video game itself leading to the tragedy.
It is a pretty bad example though, since there are no hints of obsession with a video game. The guy just wanted his console back and completely freaked out.

To make a point for the discussion you tried to start: I think video games bring together the "violence-inducing" powers of normal media and the violent factors of games. An example for the first could be seeing how cool gangsters and mafiosi are displayed in movies and wanting to be a gangster because of this. An example for the second is being pissed of due to losing.

Now, if you have some way of combining these aspects you have something more prone to provoke violence than other(passive) media or games.
I don't really know if this is possible, though. As far as my experiences go, video games are pretty much the same as other forms of media, so they can of course cause violent behaviour in people, but not more than other things do.
Opi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2006, 21:35   #16
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks
I'm sure these upstanding gentlemen would have done nothing bad had they not played computer games.

Tomkat is a thug !
COME OVER HERE AND SAY THAT!!!

(right after I've played and lost at Wetrix a few times so I get really and get some sort of destructive streak through me )
Unread 2 Aug 2006, 22:50   #17
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
1. OK, so no one on this forum is likely to agree with your point then. In fact its possible that some video games to inspire violence, its completely beside th epoint though.
I'm pretty much sure I said the point was that video games do inspire violence.
Quote:
2. Again, no where have you sited such parents so not only are you straw-manning, you are straw-manning an argument which no one was going to have.
I purposely did not include a link to any sites, on the basis of wanting people to actually go out there and look it up themselves. After all, what is the point of debate if it's one sided, just people trying to tear down the other persons posts and not really adding anything. Perhaps I was looking for someone to post a link or site a study showing that this was perhaps not true. Since however it's as simple as typing in a few key words, here's a link.
Quote:
3. In your attempts to start a conversation about movie game violence did you just go to Google news and time in "X-box" without actually linking the story and the subject in anay way?
No, I think I said this earlier, but I was watching the news and they discussed this story, and that aspect or "link" between the two subjects, and figured I would try to see if I could get people to expand on it.
Quote:
4. Sure Ok then for the sake of this thread I believe that in conjunction with other factors violence in video games can lead to increased violence in children and adults. What of it?
The link I put a few lines up has some interesting facts about the results of obsession with video games.
Unread 2 Aug 2006, 22:58   #18
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
The link I put a few lines up has some interesting facts about the results of obsession with video games.
I do enjoy when people post websites which present arguments in a far and baanced way, just like Fox News.

Edit: this website is inspiring feelings that involve excessive violence and the propagators of this bullshit.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote