User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Roleplaying

Unread 11 Oct 2003, 18:40   #1
General Geiger

General Geiger is infamous around these partsGeneral Geiger is infamous around these parts
I'm back . . . Having some problems . . .

I've been out of the forums loop for a couple of months now, having been first accosted by all manner of weird shit, then starting university while unable to get the internet through a lot of frustrating bureaucracy involving slips of vitally-important-but-easily-lost paper and various multi-acronymed cards. And I'm still having problems.

Can anyone tell me how I might get MSN Messenger or mIRC without actually using the specific programs, or Trillian? mIRC is seemingly blocked by this *bloody* server network, and they haven't got MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger quite compatible yet, though someone in the flat I have has got it working, so there must be a way. I remember I used that crappy "pIRC" with Planetarion, and could access the Netgamers server without using the mIRC program with that. Are there any sites out there that would permit me to do that with any server I pleased?

Can anyone help me here? Is there any way I might get round the various protocols and stupidities of Bangor university's IT department and get mIRC and MSN functioning? I thought Storm might be able to help me, or Rich, or someone else suitably knowledgeable with computers.

I'll delete this thread as soon as I can.

Short version of this post:

I return! :eek:

*morg has never heard of GD
<@morg> sounds like an std to me

<.KraKto5is8> "you can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose"
General Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2003, 18:44   #2
Flik

Flik is infamous around these partsFlik is infamous around these partsFlik is infamous around these parts
Re: I'm back . . . Having some problems . . .

Welcome back...Unfortunantly i have no idea...Unless you have a labtop or notebook with a satalite receptor and satilite internet...

The only soverien you can allow to rule you is reason.
Deserve victory.
Flik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2003, 19:54   #3
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

i know of your problems GG, unfortunately the only way for getting around it i know of is to get to the mainframe and change the settings of the proxy and firewall

btw, i did that, i could because i was there to help the network manager fix it, i've set the modifications to only occur for admin accounts tough, guess what kind of account i get to use

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2003, 22:31   #4
Walrus
Paster of Muppets

Walrus is infamous around these partsWalrus is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Geiger
I've been out of the forums loop for a couple of months now, having been first accosted by all manner of weird shit, then starting university while unable to get the internet through a lot of frustrating bureaucracy involving slips of vitally-important-but-easily-lost paper and various multi-acronymed cards. And I'm still having problems.

Can anyone tell me how I might get MSN Messenger or mIRC without actually using the specific programs, or Trillian? mIRC is seemingly blocked by this *bloody* server network, and they haven't got MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger quite compatible yet, though someone in the flat I have has got it working, so there must be a way. I remember I used that crappy "pIRC" with Planetarion, and could access the Netgamers server without using the mIRC program with that. Are there any sites out there that would permit me to do that with any server I pleased?

Can anyone help me here? Is there any way I might get round the various protocols and stupidities of Bangor university's IT department and get mIRC and MSN functioning? I thought Storm might be able to help me, or Rich, or someone else suitably knowledgeable with computers.

I'll delete this thread as soon as I can.

Short version of this post:

I return! :eek:
The fact that pIRC is afaia a script for mIRC would make that a trifle uesless. Also, it would make it technically superior to raw mIRC as well, but never mind.

As for getting around port blocks, can't help as I only recently found out how to get around mine. So never mind...
Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2003, 23:01   #5
KraKto$is8
Lurker

KraKto$is8 is infamous around these parts

Ah, Alec. You called me, had a haphazard conversation with my father, then ran away. Jolly good.

Why don't you just ask your flatmate how he got MSN working?
Unread 11 Oct 2003, 23:04   #6
slick
Last Of The Soul Reaver

slick is on a distinguished road

www.mirc-x.com. its an online version.. dunno how 2 wor it tho

You're just jealous coz the voices are talking to me!

Rimmer: Step Up To Red Alet!
Kryten: Are You Sure Sir, It Does Mean Changing The Bulb!

Death to the deamoness Allegra Gellar!
slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2003, 23:24   #7
elsarius
----------

elsarius is infamous around these partselsarius is infamous around these parts

hey GG, long time no see!

The problem with big networks is they tend to be set up differently, depending on what services are available, what software they're using, what sort of settings the sysadmins have got on them, etc. So really, you need to find someone local to Bangor to help - preferably a sysadmin (or you could try a 3rd year Comp Sci student!). Sorry.
elsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 00:06   #8
lantadors evil twin
Retired

lantadors evil twin is infamous around these partslantadors evil twin is infamous around these partslantadors evil twin is infamous around these partslantadors evil twin is infamous around these parts

If your MSN is working (and i've seen you sign in so I assume it is) talk to me there. If not, PM me here or on meh forums and I will see what I can do.
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 18:39   #9
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

You could try www.mouselike.com (I think that's right). It's an online system I used to use to get around uni firewalls...

But as soon as you find an alternative use that instead as I found it to be fairly crappy.

"One hour of thinking is better than 70 years of divine service."
- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 21:51   #10
General Geiger

General Geiger is infamous around these partsGeneral Geiger is infamous around these parts

Thanks for all the general helpful stuff, Elsarius, Hewitt, Storm, Slick.

KraK: Yeah, can't remember what I was phoning about. Think it was this. I've no idea why I thought you could help me, though.

Walrus: Hello there, chummy.

Storm: It's not. This is a bit convoluted, but please bear with me. The network has MSN 4.6 compatible, but Microsoft, in it's f*cking stupid pit of braindead stupidity, demands that you install version 6.0 and won't allow you to use 4.6 anymore. The moment you sign in it logs you out, and tells you that you must install 6.0. Which the uni network doesn't have compatible yet. But a guy in my flat has Messenger working, so I assume it must be possible somehow. But he seems to have disappeared for a few days, God knows where . . . And mIRC is entirely blocked. It's all very irritating.

But I do have a kinky 2.2 ghz laptop, only £750!

<.KraKto5is8> "you can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose"

Last edited by General Geiger; 12 Oct 2003 at 22:06.
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 22:37   #11
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

hmm, what if you try to connect to netgamers on a different port then standard ?? there are sure to be a couple of other ports open, not sure which tough

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Oct 2003, 11:10   #12
Walrus
Paster of Muppets

Walrus is infamous around these partsWalrus is infamous around these parts

Tried Windows Messenger?
Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Oct 2003, 11:52   #13
Zappa Tenderlea
Grote Boze Rocker

Zappa Tenderlea is infamous around these partsZappa Tenderlea is infamous around these parts

tried Trillian?

I have but one wish: to see you all rot in hell before I trade this life for eternity

The truth can't hurt you, it's just like the dark, it scares you wittless, but in time you see things clear and stark
Zappa Tenderlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Oct 2003, 12:49   #14
lantadors evil twin
Retired

lantadors evil twin is infamous around these partslantadors evil twin is infamous around these partslantadors evil twin is infamous around these partslantadors evil twin is infamous around these parts

Since your PM box is full...

First try using mirc on the servers/ports below to see if its just a port block.
If that fails, try this:
<deleted>
with irc.netgamers.org

london.uk.eu.netgamers.org

qnps.tx.us.netgamers.org

trustnet.de.eu.netgamers.org

flashnet.qld.au.netgamers.org

firefly.no.eu.netgamers.org

Last edited by lantadors evil twin; 14 Oct 2003 at 00:32.
lantadors evil twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Oct 2003, 16:05   #15
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

*lestat worships storms knowlage*

wb alec. still sober?
Unread 13 Oct 2003, 21:18   #16
General Geiger

Zappa and Walrus: Yes to both of you, and same problem with both.

Lestat: Hello, and no, I'm averaging four bottles of lager a night.

Storm: Will do suggestions. My PM system has been f*cked for a while now; for no particular reason I haven't been able to access it for nearly a year.