User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 9 May 2007, 16:42   #1
sarahkrogers

sarahkrogers is an unknown quantity at this point
I played a long time ago - and I have questions! :)

Hello all!

I played Planetarion several years ago, and I played a few rounds - but I'm not sure which they were! I played the speed round at the i10 lan party, and I played some free rounds, followed by the first paid round.

Now I'm a hardcore WoW player and just remembered that Planetarion existed. I loved it dearly and want to get them (my guild) involved.

I wanted to check that we can all be in the same galaxy together, and how many people can we fit?

Furthermore, I'd really like some general information on the changes. Do we still have clustres? Does the game still play out much the same, or has it gotten more complicated? Is it still all about the roids? Is IRC still massively important for alliances, or is there support within the web interface for alliances? Is the community still healthy and fun to be part of, or is it too large to make any sense of?

I'd also appreciate anything else you want to add that'd be helpful Thanks so much for reading this far, I very much appreciate it!

(edit - clarified a bit)
sarahkrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2007, 16:54   #2
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold
Re: I played a long time ago - and I have questions! :)

Yes we are currently in round 21 its very ..... how do u say eh FUN.

Round 22 has just been announced as a free round so would be a good time to entice as many of your guild to join. I know many WoW players who play planetarion by checking every few hours or so whilst platying wow so give them a bell and wake them up. We are currently ranked #1 on that MMOPG site so get them onboard. Only 3 weeks of this round left so maybe just enough time to signup and launch a few attacks.

Yes theres still clusters
Theres 5 races now
infact theres many new changes read the manual or portal for them all.

Hope u make it to next round
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2007, 16:59   #3
Bane
Shadows and Dust

Bane is on a distinguished road

ALso if you want to get into a gal with your friends you can only have 2-3 together in one 'buddy pack'. So it would be a good idea to get as many buddy packs together (or you can have people going random if they want) then looking on the alliance recruitment thread at the start of next round to get yourself and friends in an alliance.

R3 or so - Cell/Elysium
Looong break
R20 - Orbit
R21 - Subh (Finished rank 58)
8 year break
R60 - ND -> Ultores (Finished rank 48)
R61 - Rogues

14:05 <Swing> I wear a cape and a burger king paper crown when i play pa
14:10 <Zwanstic> u also talk alot of shit
14:14 <Blue_Esper> you're a weird unit
12:33 <hone> oddr is where we send all the semi retarded and gay bashing ult has beens LOL
12:34 <hone> thats where u should be swing lol
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2007, 17:02   #4
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Hello, and welcome to PAX Planetarion.

The game itself has changed alot from when it was free. A few of the real changes can you find in the manual, It explains many of the changes. Main change you will find is the introduction of XP and the thing that ships do not multi target anymore. Combat ticks have changed from 3 combat ticks, down to one combat tick.

Alliances are more hard coded and works as a society more than before. The alliance can be seen as an extension of the private galaxies that was. Each alliance has the ability to hold about 70 members.

Galaxies have the 4 Commanders, GC, MoW, MoD, MoC. So basically alot of the same as before.

The biggest change perhaps is that there is only about 2k players in wich 12-1500 players plays active.

The game itself is undergoing alot of changes in this round and the next one. There is the introduction of population which is basically replacing engineering, and there is also the introduction of governments which gives you slight bonuses to your planet.

There are now 5 races. The terran, wich is the default starting race, allthough, this round i would not recommend playing terran. Terrans are armorheavy but lacks firepower.
There is the Xandathrii which is a cloaked race their ships are cloaked and only their asteroid stealers show on unitscans (everything shows on advanced unitscan though)
There is the Cathaar wich is still the emping race, it emps ships instead of killing them.
Then there is the zikonian, wich steals ships. The stealships die in the process when they steal though.
And last but not least, the Eitrades which is a merchant race ( I always think of them as Ferengies for some reason) They got a mix of every ship, and is probably the strongest race this round round.

If you want to have a laugh, play abit for fun and maybe land a few attacks you should sign up to try the game before the next round starts. The current round (Round 21) ends 1st of June.

In terms of galaxies we do no longer have private galaxies, but we have buddypacks. One buddypack is max 3 persons whom then end up in the same galaxy.

The cluster has been reintroduced earlier, and in cluster you have abit shorter eta's both in attacks and defense.

Yes, the game is still about the roids, but it is also about taking some risks and hitting the ones that are bigger than you instead of newbashing.

Irc is mainly the way to communicate with people in Planetarion. If you dont have mIRC or any of thoose programs you can use the ingame irc communicator.

About the community you will find that the it varies from person to person and alliance to alliance what you yourself will find yourself comfortable with. I would recommend that you check out the alliances recruitment threads and seek out the ones you feel you can connect with via thoose.
Alot of people will prolly say stuff like the community is shit etc, but there are still some places where the good old PA spirit can be found. Me personally would say the community is quite healthy but having a sneeze now and then.

If you got any questions or need help with anything, mIRC is the best place to be (as usual), look up people on irc.netgamers.org (irc server) in #support, or #planetarion. Me myself can be found in #tgv (the alliance i play for)

Good luck and thanks for looking us up again.
Unread 9 May 2007, 17:10   #5
sarahkrogers

These are some really helpful responses!

I'm very sad to hear about the loss of private galaxies. My WoW guild is very close to me, and it is a pity that we'd have to be split up. I understand why this might be best for the game and the community, but it is still a pity. I remember it being very difficult to get a very strong alliance functioning properly - is the potential there for my guildmates to still play as closely with one another as we are used to?

I'm really excited by the possibility of a free round, because it means I am more likely to get my friends interested Will buddy packs still be available in that round, even though one doesn't pay?

The introduction of races is a very interesting dynamic, so I'm excited to try that out I'll read the manual for more specifics on game play changes.
Unread 9 May 2007, 17:20   #6
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

In a free round every planet plays as if it was upgraded, so assuming they will not remove buddypacks from the game, it will be possible to team up with some of your mates.

The tutorial in the manual should get you to understand the new game mechanics. Its a reasonably long read, but if you read all 3 chapters of it, the game should be somewhat clear .
Unread 9 May 2007, 18:35   #7
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandows
Its a reasonably long read, but if you read all 3 chapters of it, the game should be somewhat clear .
I expected more when you used the word 'chapters' :-(
As reply to the original question:

If you want to play close with your guildmates and interact a lot with them (attack together and defend them) it might be a good thing to start up your own alliance. There are of course a lot of troubles for newcomers to start a new alliance but you have at least a good membercore for it in your guildmates.

And for a first round it is not that important to get involved into the politics and gather intel etc if you just want to explore the game together and have some fun fooling around instead of trying to win the game

Good Luck and i hope we can steal a lot of your and guild's roids in the upcoming round(s)!!

What's your guilds name by the way?

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2007, 20:26   #8
sarahkrogers

We are eXodus of Lightning's Blade (EU), we've been around since the server was released in September 2005

They are really enthusiastic about their WoW, but it would be so nice if some of them would play on the side. Some have actually played before, like me, so that is helpful
Unread 9 May 2007, 22:14   #9
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute

Around how many people from your guild would be playing?
If you are large enough (above 40 - ), you could function as a new alliance.
If you are around 20, you could still function as a battlegroup with an alliance tag, or you could also find an alliance to take you in as a battlegroup. I'd recommend going solo even if you are only around 20. If you are much less, the best thing would be for all of you to get into an alliance as a bg or just as normal members.
Whether you are a full blown alliance, or a bg, it's all about organization: You will need a couple of scanners to sort out scans for attacks and defence, you will need a couple of officers (we call them BCs) to sort out attacks for your group, and you will need a couple of defence officers (DCs) to sort out defence on your planets. You might also need some sort of High Command to sort out politics with other alliances.
The game itself is as exciting as a tick-based browser game can be. The single most addicting feature about PA is interacting with the community, getting to know new people and make new friends in your galaxies. Give it a try, just don't expect it to be WoW.
Unread 9 May 2007, 23:32   #10
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
The game itself has changed alot from when it was free.
I thought the new definition was something like "Planetarion is a free game, but by paying $XX you can get extra features"
Unread 10 May 2007, 14:28   #11
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
I thought the new definition was something like "Planetarion is a free game, but by paying $XX you can get extra features"
You joke, but that is indeed the case. Last round a free planet won, so free planets can indeed compete with paid ones, paid ones just get a few extra features to help them along.

Based on that I'd reccomend people sign up for the rest of this round and just get a feel for the game and how it works etc.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 May 2007, 18:49   #12
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

This may or may not be an appropriate time to plug the renewal of private gals.

()
Unread 10 May 2007, 20:46   #13
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
You joke
Actually I wasn't joking