User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 9 Mar 2007, 14:05   #1
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of
Exiles and Galaxy disbandment

Mods: this is also posted in private forum, it NOT a double post, its meant this way

I have been watching the universe from a multihunter point of view for 2 rounds now, and since r3 from a players point of view. I have seen exiles and galaxy disbandment being introduced and changed several times.

My conclusion is that both are basicly bad, even when taking into account the advantages. So why are they bad?

Exiles:

+ You can ditch useless players
+ You can ditch Spies
- (Relatively) new players get no chance and lose interest (they end up in shit galaxies)
- Players can be exiled for any reason, even being on vacation, or not defending once.

Self-Exile:

+ You can run from a bad galaxy
+ You can run from an unfriendly galaxy
- Galaxies lose good players, and end up being left with bad ones
- Mass exiling takes place to end up in a good galaxy, thus making the concept of random galaxies (partly, dont forget BPs) look stupid. 'Private'

galaxies will be formed

Auto-Exile:

+ inactive players are removed after some time
+ closed players are removed after some time
- none, eexcept maybe that ppl with connection trouble might end up bad, while the galaxy would have chosen to be lenient.

Galaxy Disband:

+ crap galaxies are removed
- ppl use gal disband to spare costs of (self)exile
- less and less galaxies during the round

If you have more +/-, please feel free to pm me them, so i can update the thread.

When i look at the pros and cons, then i come to the conclusion that most pros of exiling seem to be less + then the cons seem to be -

Changes:

Exile:

The current exile system is faulty. It is used to ditch everyone not liked, new, or whatever reason you can think of. I am VERY STRONGLY opposed to make it possible to exile inexperienced or more or less casual players. Inactive is fine to exile to some extent, but in the end, the goal of the game is to make it a happy place for all active players and to try to make more ppl become active. And by active i dont mean hardcore like having no real life, but people just wanting to have fun in any degree.

If you are an player, it should not matter how active you are. normal people that paid an account do not have less rights then hardcore players that paid an account (at least, not when i last read the EULA). Also, the rules and eula and stuff do not state anywhere that free accounts have less rights then paid accounts, they just have less features on their account. So in that regard, they do NOT deserve it to be exiled sooner/more often then any paid account.

In my opinion, the exile option should be completely ditched, for the reasons above: not one single player has less rights, and ESPECIALLY paid accounts should not have their fun be destroyed by OTHER customers.If you would decide to follow this advice, but still make it possible to exile free accounts, you MUST change the EULA. But that would just like giving a signal: new freebie, we dont like you, we dont want you, you are just irritating, so please DONT have fun while you are thinking about paying.

Self-Exile:

I am especially against the mass self-exiling. If we do not limit this more, then we can aswell move to private galaxies. Personally, I would allow for one relatively cheap self-exile after shuffle, and one more after that against huge costs. Still in a bad galaxy? tough luck. Make it work.

Auto-exile:

Use this feature to remove really inactive accounts, ie dormant accounts, to c200.

Galaxy disband:

Bad, simply bad. Most of the time, ppl wanting to leave do not get enough votes, start whining to support about manual disbandment. If you are not satisfied with your galaxy, leave (one time only!, plus your cheap post-shuffle self-exile).

One last thing i want to get off my chest:

IF you (the admins) chose to keep exiles in any form, and gal disbandments, i STRONGLY advise to NOT EVER interfere manually in ANY event. When i look at

support, the manual intervention is unfair, for player A gets refused a manual move after 15 exiles, while someone with a big mouth gets a move after 3 exiles. Manual intervention is unfair by default. If you keep exiles, then enforce the text already in the exile text:

I will accept playing wherever I end up, even if I dislike my new galaxy more than this one! I understand that there is no going back and no way to undo what has been done.
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC

Last edited by Remy; 9 Mar 2007 at 14:11.
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2007, 15:16   #2
XelNaga

XelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to behold
Re: Exiles and Galaxy disbandment

Maybe you're interested in this post, it suggest a change to the exile system.

(Marneus) also the damn thing aint always right 4 + 79 = i type 81 and it kicked me back to the login again grrr
XelNaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Mar 2007, 15:59   #3
Marka
xVx

Marka is just really niceMarka is just really niceMarka is just really niceMarka is just really niceMarka is just really nice

Exile
Exiling of active (as in being irc active but not hardcore) only happens in the biggest of the gals. I haven't seen any exile of irc-active players even if they are low on score in gals between 20-80 (in those I been in at least unless player was spy or an idiot). However if a planet doesn't respond to messages - never sends any def whatsoever there needs to be an option to remove him.

Self-Exile
I self-exiled 9 times this round iirc. 6 times I landed in gals between 100-120. The other 3 times I landed in cluster farm gals around 75. Right now I am stuck in such a farm gal having incs by Top20 planets from cluster almost every day (myself being outta top200).
Next exile would cost me about 15M resources...
Is there something in the EULA about having your fun destroyed by game rules as a paid account? :P

Galaxy Disbandment
The disbandment option is restricted too so few galaxies that are so low in score that I'd wonder if there would be more than 2 or 3 successful disbandings this round. One farm gal I been in made it I think - but not before all but 4 ppl self-exiled.

Manual Interference
That shouldn't ever be done indeed - but the self-exile implementation should give you a good chance to improve your situation - doing it random is just as unfair.
Unread 9 Mar 2007, 16:47   #4
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold

hmm i think everyone should be able to tell after 1-2 weeks whether there gal is going to be good enough for them. At this stage it should still be reasonably be cheap enough to self excile if u need to. Having gone random every round ive played since rnd 7 and selfexciled every round bar this one, i have never had a problem landing in a gal that finished top 30 and never had a problem not being able to excile because of the great costs. If you are constanly complaining about not being able to land in a good gal use some common sense :

a) Check activity and roiding capability of your gal in first 2 weeks. Also find out as much as you can about alliances in it. The longer you hang around hoping it will improve means you are losing out.

b) Use sandmans. Another important factor when self exciling is to check sandmans galaxy listings to see how many planets each gal has. If you pay attention sometimes you can get 10+ gals in top 50 -1 player and occasionally -2 or even -3. Waiting until you see lots of these spaces gives you a much better chance.

Obviously ignore all this if you play in a bp but pa should be all about making new friends and meeting new people hence i always go random.
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2007, 23:11   #5
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marka
but the self-exile implementation should give you a good chance to improve your situation - doing it random is just as unfair.
impossible

everyone wud do it
repeatedly
and we'd all end up in the top gal :P

i bring this as a joke
but lets face it, thats theoretically what wud happen
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Mar 2007, 02:17   #6
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I like the way in which you are approaching this topic. We should really keep it up-to-date while keeping in mind jester's constraint about loyalty and exit.

Thus a complete removal of "exit" is bad, but you are offering very nice approaches.

God damn it, all you people make me ponder way too much.
Unread 13 Mar 2007, 09:26   #7
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I think removing exile but keeping self-exile would fit with jester's loyalty-exit stuff.

And as a result I'd be keen to improve the way auto-exile works so that the inactives are removed in a better way. But tbh I've no real ideas on how auto-exile should be improved.

I'd also think self-exile should not be allowed while you are in protection as I think you need some time after the shuffle to decide whether your gal really does suck or not.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Mar 2007, 10:12   #8
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I think removing exile but keeping self-exile would fit with jester's loyalty-exit stuff.
Nope. Go back and read it again.
Unread 13 Mar 2007, 18:55   #9
Marka
xVx

Marka is just really niceMarka is just really niceMarka is just really niceMarka is just really niceMarka is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy
impossible

everyone wud do it
repeatedly
and we'd all end up in the top gal :P

i bring this as a joke
but lets face it, thats theoretically what wud happen
If there was ingal attacks than the outcome would at least mainly rely on personal skill - not having luck with shuffle/first exile.