User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 Nov 2004, 00:42   #1
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
XP security

when you've finished giggling at the thread title:

i've just set up a computer for my nephew and niece, running XP. naturally, i want to give them as little access to the system as possible, so have created them limited user accounts.

however, i was hoping i'd be able to limit the user accounts further, specifically being able to disable their ability to set a password (when they fight, i don't want one to be able to lock the other out of the computer).

do i need something like poledit to do this? or is there any 'easy' way?

ta
-mist
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 03:27   #2
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
Re: XP security

Right click 'My Computer' -> Manage -> System Tools -> Local Users and Groups -> Users -> Right Click the user -> Properties -> User cannot change password checkbox. -> OK.

Voila.

That might be different on XP Home, I don't have it.
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 03:47   #3
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

doesn't appear to be in home, but the computer in question has pro on it. will give it a whirl tomorrow, ta

should have realised they'd hide the useful user stuff elsewhere

-mist
Unread 10 Nov 2004, 12:14   #4
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

gpedit.msc on Pro has crap loads of stuff to tweak in there.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote