User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 11 Sep 2003, 11:27   #1
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Best MySQL Dev Tool?

Hi, the MySQL Control Center is pure pants, and PHPMyAdmin just isn't up to scratch. Now I'm fine using it, but I'm trying to get more of the MS people here to use MySQL. Their #1 complaint is that the dev environment is nowhere near as intuitive and powerful as that for MS-SQL.

To be honest, they're totally right

So does anybody use a decent graphical dev environment, that can compete with the MS offerings, or at least better than PHPMyAdmin?

Cheers,

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2003, 16:26   #2
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
I use windows.

I use PHPMyAdmin and its totaly satisfactory.
Unread 11 Sep 2003, 16:30   #3
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
I use windows.

I have nothing to add
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2003, 21:55   #4
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
I use windows.

[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 11 Sep 2003, 23:10   #5
Mong
Forever Delayed

Well you guys are obviously too easily pleased!

Today I've trialed two pieces of software, and both have noticeably ramped my productivity.

PHPMyAdmin is not a bad tool at all, but it has many annoying quirks - notably that if you get one thing wrong when creating a very large table, and it wipes all the work you already did on that table.

So no, you guys need to checkout some of the commercial tools available I'm afraid.

I do know what I'm on about, you know

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 05:09   #6
Goon

Goon is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
Well you guys are obviously too easily pleased!

Today I've trialed two pieces of software, and both have noticeably ramped my productivity.

PHPMyAdmin is not a bad tool at all, but it has many annoying quirks - notably that if you get one thing wrong when creating a very large table, and it wipes all the work you already did on that table.

So no, you guys need to checkout some of the commercial tools available I'm afraid.

I do know what I'm on about, you know

M.
Which tools do you reccommend? - I'm interesting in finding an alternative to phpMyAdmin as well, because it has annoyances.

http://www.theunishop.com/guide/

Remember, we were once scared freshers too!.
Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 10:51   #7
Mong
Forever Delayed

Quote:
Originally posted by Goon
Which tools do you reccommend? - I'm interesting in finding an alternative to phpMyAdmin as well, because it has annoyances.

Nice intuitive (usually) interface, reminds me a bit of Access or SQL Server:
http://ems-hitech.com/mymanager/

Interface a bit weird, but maybe a little more powerfull:
http://www.mysqlstudio.com/

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 12 Sep 2003, 13:29   #8
Goon

Goon is an unknown quantity at this point
ta, I will check them out.

http://www.theunishop.com/guide/

Remember, we were once scared freshers too!.
Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 13:38   #9
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
i used DBDesigner for creating my last database if thats the kind of thing you are looking for. (search on goolge, its freeware)
Unread 16 Sep 2003, 00:49   #10
Atamur
Ngisne

Atamur is an unknown quantity at this point
I type faster than I click. I find it quicker to type up CREATE TABLE sql statement in vim and paste it into mysql than I can do the same thing through myCC.
Unread 17 Sep 2003, 02:58   #11
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Atamur
I type faster than I click. I find it quicker to type up CREATE TABLE sql statement in vim and paste it into mysql than I can do the same thing through myCC.
But back in the real world thats just not done.

For the average person it is far quicker to type in a few column names and then select a type from a drop down than it is to type a CREATE TABLE statmentet, then an ALTER TABLE to add the keys and indexes, then another ALTER TABLE to add the constraints and default values. People dont care if you are l33t and can type tables in raw SQL, they care that if they are paying you 'x' you can get 'y' done in a reasonable time.

To be honest I generally disbelive people who claim they are quicker typing their create statements anyway. Its like people who claim its quicker to build complex websites in notepad over a more advanced editor.

Further more when looking at editing somebody eles's database, a GUI system often allows a far better view of the overall structure (eg via the use of relational diagrams), this becomes particularly important in larger DBs where the immediate function of everything is not clear.