User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 18 Aug 2003, 15:13   #1
Eidron
The Harsh Light of Day

Eidron is an unknown quantity at this point
Ontology

What is it?

You'll never see me but I am everywhere
Eidron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 2003, 15:22   #2
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future
Google "Ontology" -> I feel Lucky.

I always get the soggy biscuit

Veni Vidi Codi
SbOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 2003, 22:39   #3
Eidron
The Harsh Light of Day

Eidron is an unknown quantity at this point
I have but I cant find an answer. Can someone pls tell me what it is in 1 or 2 sentences?

You'll never see me but I am everywhere
Eidron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Aug 2003, 23:57   #4
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
metaphysical study of existance
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 00:00   #5
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Eidron
I have but I cant find an answer. Can someone pls tell me what it is in 1 or 2 sentences?
If you do what SbOlly suggests you get a page which gives the meaning of an ontology in computing; both in knowledge representation and agent systems.

Or you might mean on the web, where the W3C are using ontologies and XML: http://www.w3.org/TR/webont-req/#onto-def. That page gives the same sort of definition. A bunch of concepts with some agreed on structure, used to communicate.
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 00:00   #6
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
Re: Ontology

Quote:
Originally posted by Eidron
What is it?
With respect to what... ? In AI terms an ontology is treated differently to say information/hypermedia terms.

I only really studied the later, but not the former in any detail. An ontology in information terms is a hierachical structure of knowledge (sub)categorised by relevant (in the case of hypermedia, typically cognitive) properties.