User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 May 2004, 09:37   #1
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
MMORPGs

So, who here plays a MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game to those of you not in the know)? And which one?

I was thinking of maybe starting one up, see how it goes. Though I wouldn't want to play 5 hours a day, just maybe a couple of hours every few days.
Star Wars Galaxies appeals, but a mate of mine says Anarchy Online is better. He also said that Planetside is good but pretty much everything I've heard about that game is that it gets boring after the first month.
Fantasy settings appeal too, I just haven't heard of a fantasy MMORPG that's any good. Everquest seems to be more for the full time crowd.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2004, 09:44   #2
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: MMORPGs

Dark Age of Camelot wasn't too bad when I played the beta.

The only problem with most MMORPG's is that there's relatively little to do but to go out and whack monsters over and over, imo. Which is why I prefer single player RPG's, as they have an actual whole storyline, lots of quests and all that.
Unread 24 May 2004, 10:04   #3
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

I've played DAOC and Anarchy Online, for now I am into Eve-online but isn't really a RPG. Your mate is right, I think AO is one of the most underestimated MMORPGs out there. I might go back soonish untill WoW comes out.

Also, what Leshy said.
SilverSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2004, 10:06   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
The only problem with most MMORPG's is that there's relatively little to do but to go out and whack monsters over and over, imo. Which is why I prefer single player RPG's, as they have an actual whole storyline, lots of quests and all that.
World of Warcraft is content/quest based.

It's in beta at the moment.

The rest are rubbish in terms other than 'hit thing, repeat'.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2004, 10:30   #5
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Also I'm looking for how many people are signed up to each MMORPG. I'm sure there must be a regularly updated list out there somewhere but I can't find it.

Linkage?
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2004, 10:43   #6
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
World of Warcraft is content/quest based.

It's in beta at the moment.

The rest are rubbish in terms other than 'hit thing, repeat'.

Although I am not into the beta and I've read a lot of entiousiastic beta players mainly on the SA forums I wonder for how long you will be amused when doing quest after quest. Traveling to several points spreadout the map killing/picking up stuff as a quest will get a bit dull as well after some days.

Another thing that concerns me slightly is the limited amount of professions to chose from. Just the obvious professions you seem to get again, Healers, Tanks, Rogues, Wizards and probably a pet profession.
Unread 24 May 2004, 10:47   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
I wonder for how long you will be amused when doing quest after quest.
w.

hat.

'All that variety is going to get boring!'
Unread 24 May 2004, 10:56   #8
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

Do you have any idea what such quests might look like?

I know from other mmorpgs they just consist of running from point A to B, to kill or collect something at B, Talk to the guy at C he might give you something to deliver at D and after you can return to A to receive your reward.
Unread 24 May 2004, 11:05   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
Do you have any idea what such quests might look like?

I know from other mmorpgs they just consist of running from point A to B, to kill or collect something at B, Talk to the guy at C he might give you something to deliver at D and after you can return to A to receive your reward.
Even if it is just this*, how is the option of doing quests worse than the forced not doing of quests?

*although 'this' covers quite a lot of stuff. Hell, it describes most of Deus Ex.
Unread 24 May 2004, 11:09   #10
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

Well, I am not saying its any worse , but if the main content of the game consists of such quests instead of camping several mobs then I wonder if this game will really stand out of the others that are available.

Traveling around a huge map gets really really boring after a while. But as I said, I am not in the beta, I don't know what else things there can be done besides running quests, killing monsters and crafting items.
Unread 24 May 2004, 11:27   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

It's the subtleties of the quests that matter. As I said, you could break every single quest down into 'you do something for a guy and get a reward', and that would cover everything in the genre, from BG2 to Deus Ex.
Unread 24 May 2004, 11:31   #12
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

I've played many in my time.

Planetside is toss. Wouldnt call it an MMORPG either.

Jumpgate is fun, but too much griefing gos on.

Lineage 2 is ****ing wank. I'd rather stick my face in a bowl of acid than ever play that again.

City of Heroes is...different. Only played it a bit, havent formed an opinion yet.

Star Wars Galaxies. Been playing this for nearly a year now, I enjoy the game a lot. Lacks high level content for the most part, but if you have a good community as we do, its pretty damn cool.
Unread 24 May 2004, 11:32   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

SWG is the quintessential 'release now, add content later'.
Unread 24 May 2004, 11:37   #14
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

True, but its still fun.
Unread 24 May 2004, 12:06   #15
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

I play EVE.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2004, 12:10   #16
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

Me too, for about two months now and it's getting really dull already from times to times. The Shiva patch(?) might make things a bit more interesting though.
Unread 24 May 2004, 12:15   #17
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

hope so
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2004, 12:23   #18
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm personally awaiting MXO.
Unread 24 May 2004, 15:41   #19
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids
Planetside is toss. Wouldnt call it an MMORPG either.

Jumpgate is fun, but too much griefing gos on.

Lineage 2 is ****ing wank. I'd rather stick my face in a bowl of acid than ever play that again.

City of Heroes is...different. Only played it a bit, havent formed an opinion yet.

Star Wars Galaxies. Been playing this for nearly a year now, I enjoy the game a lot. Lacks high level content for the most part, but if you have a good community as we do, its pretty damn cool.
Yep, except SWG. I cancelled that one recently once I realized my chances of going back were slim....The community rocks a bit though, at least ours does. :P that and the rare "dude, are you guys the same VtS from Planetarion?!"

Anarchy Online is fun for a while, then you realize you're on the "heckler treadmill" from lvl 80 to 220....same mob over and over and over, with short breaks to make sight seeing trips to various points of interest.

Ultima Online is still my all-time favorite, though I burned out ages ago. The graphics are less than stellar and the flaws in gameplay were made up for by the community.
Unread 24 May 2004, 18:00   #20
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future

I've played DAoC for about 18 months now. Thoroughly enjoy the game.. however as a new-comer you would probably find it hard to start (that and you would need to shell out for all the expansions if you wanted to play seriously).

However, it does have (all be it dull) a fair bit of quest content... and a decent player vs player (well realm vs realm... you belong to a group called a realm) combat once you have reached the maximum char level. As well as killing each other, you can fight for control over forts etc. (Incidentally this system is due for a revamp as can be seen at: http://www.camelotherald.com/newfrontiers/keeps/)
Unread 24 May 2004, 21:31   #21
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Fung Wan Online
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2004, 21:46   #22
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

City of Heroes is neat. I just got the ability to sidekick. Sidekicked me a defender last night to help me waste hordes of Bloodbrothers and Skulls.

I also suspect some uninquesness. I was running around atlas park for an hour, one of the first zones for n00bs, just wasting skulls left and right and hordes. Its fun lobing a nade and watch all the low level AI go flying. Well, I was then in King's Row and get this. I was chilling and 10-15 skulls instally spawned at a contact (that doesn't happen) at my exact power level and where blasters. I didn't die but I almost did. I literlly fought them from one end of kings row to the other end of the map running backwards trying to stay alive (Which is another thing, they usually give up if you run so far from their spawn zone). I finally killed them all after going through all my stocked inspirations. So either:

A) The Moderators have an interesting way of stopping people from whoring low level Monsters for a city block when they are ment for n00bs.

B) I was really unlucky and got hit by a random spawn.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2004, 21:49   #23
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

Lineage and Lineage 2 are wank due to the fact they work on the premise of "If we make it really long between levels the people will play longer, especially if we can undo days of hard work by getting player killed or killed". Lineage is mainly Korean community strong and is for Totally hardcore my family ain't seen me in 3 years gamers.
Lineage 2

Final Fantasy XI is wank cause it works with the old 16 bit feature of "Let's associate a brand name with a pile of wank and just sell lots of it, oh and have the worst on-line community seen to man" includes the nice feature of having to pay for client and to play.
Pile of wank

SWG is wank cause it plays on the premise of having a clique to hang in, no advanced features and everyone just deals on ebay unmoderated so there's no real sense of achievment.
Pile of wank

City of Heroes is still in early trials and is turn based which doesn't really make it MMORPG but it is cute. I've had some good feedback on it though.
City of Heroes

Guild Wars looks odd as well and promises to be free which is a nice thing.
Guild Wars

Ragnarok Online is a free client with a 15 day free trial and is like Diablo II without the hacks, the shitty community and it's chibi (so basically hack and slash and find rare goodies to make your characters super powered but in an online world of 1k-4k players instead of repetitive maps of 1-8 players) It's also one of the very few MMORPG's that still nail people hard who try to make a living off of Ebay by selling their intellectual property on it.
Ragnarok Online

DAOC is in it's Vintage years atm and is still rife with gamers exploiting bugs or botting, it's a bit like what an MMORPG community would be like if it only had CS maturity players. You have to pay a crapload for the clients and all the updtaes and then still have to pay to play.
Dark Ages of Camelot

Legend of Mir is just odd and fills in that I'm too casual to care niche imo but it isn't anything special in any department.
Legend of Mir

World of Warcraft is still in it's beta, still has the sucky wanky Blizzard community of players and has the fearsome prophecy of having really really shit in game support so this will either make or break Blizzard when they finally release it (Cause they tend to release and ignore with regards to how the community is abusing their multi-player games) So while it promises out of all the games to be the best one and the most amazing, it also promises to come completely untied on the basis that blizzard usually don't give a **** if people are duping shit/hacking shit/being little ****ing shits.

IF you want something familiar and don't give two tosses about quality of gameplay, go with FFXI or SWG.

If you want something with good gameplay go with Ragnarok, City of Heroes or WoW when it comes out imo.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2004, 21:55   #24
Rids
The Bad Guy

Just wondering how many of those games you've given write ups to, you've actually played for more than 3 hours?