User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 1 Aug 2003, 03:38   #1
(°>
lowly ensign

(°> is an unknown quantity at this point
ASP wait?

Has anyone got a clue how i can halt execution of an ASP script until a page loads?
Reliable and preferably without downloading an addon?

Atm i use
Code:
pa.document.forms(0).submit
While pa.Busy
a=second(time)+2
if a>59 then 
a=a-60
end if
while (second(now)<>a)
wend
Wend
but the code seems to still run on to the next stuff :/
Particularly if there is a big gal pic to slow the page load up.

Mit I figure this is where my gal wap page is failing sometimes... erh most times
(°> is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 03:14   #2
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
Erm... exactly what would you be doing running a server side script once the client had recieved all the data?

Also.. how do you plan the page to load, if you just halted the code thats generating it?
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 11:05   #3
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I'm tending to think like RR here.

You could have an outer page generated then use javascript on that page to fill an iframe with the output of the ASP script when the document has finished loading but it just seems to be a very unusual thing to want to do.
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 23:13   #4
(°>
lowly ensign

The server script doesn't generate the code for this page.

In this case I'm sending coords to the galaxy page
Code:
g=request.querystring("x")
h=request.querystring("y")
pa.document.forms(0).elements(0).value=g
pa.document.forms(0).elements(1).value=h
then waiting for that to load
so the server can grab the galaxy details

Code:
<card title="GALAXY" >
<p>
<%
response.write pa.document.getElementsByTagName("table").item(7).rows(0).cells(0).innertext
%>
</p>
and server them as wml code.

I've changed my mind again tho and think there is nothing wrong with my wait coz it works np if I serve html.I think it maybe is just the wapemulator site i been usuing :-)
Unread 3 Aug 2003, 02:58   #5
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
You don't do this **** in the users browser (certainly not with ASP you don't)

Connect directly to the bloody server.
Unread 4 Aug 2003, 12:51   #6
(°>
lowly ensign

darn
i wrote a good explanation and i got logged out and lost it
Just remember the user only has a WAP phone so only sees WML.

catch me on irc
nick:rriv
and you can have a look how it works

Just getting my stuff together so i can have a go at enabling WAP for round 10 for myself.Most fun part of game for me
Unread 4 Aug 2003, 14:46   #7
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Anything like this is officially in breach of the rules btw.

How do you plan to get round the botstopper?

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2003, 14:57   #8
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Mong
Anything like this is officially in breach of the rules btw.

How do you plan to get round the botstopper?

M.
It seems more like proxying software than anything nasty. Though I'm sure (o> has asked official types.

(o>: could you use pa.ReadyState to get more control? I don't know anything about this stuff.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 01:47   #9
(°>
lowly ensign

I asked and got no reply :/

Would like to know what rule you think I'm breaching Mong?

Far as PA is concerned I'm logging in from my home computer.
Just I'm viewing and controlling my home computer from my mobile phone.
As illegal as a remote keyboard /mouse as i see it.
Unread 5 Aug 2003, 12:01   #10
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by queball
It seems more like proxying software than anything nasty. Though I'm sure (o> has asked official types.

(o>: could you use pa.ReadyState to get more control? I don't know anything about this stuff.
It's "nasty" in that it's indistinguishable (from the creators and multihunters view) from a proxy enabling a person to control every planet of his alliance. It's why the rules are as unflexible as they are.
Unread 8 Aug 2003, 19:32   #11
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Re: ASP wait?

Quote:
Originally posted by (°>
Has anyone got a clue how i can halt execution of an ASP script until a page loads?
Reliable and preferably without downloading an addon?

Atm i use
Code:
While pa.Busy
a=second(time)+2
if a>59 then 
a=a-60
end if
while (second(now)<>a)
wend
Wend
but the code seems to still run on to the next stuff :/
Particularly if there is a big gal pic to slow the page load up.

Mit I figure this is where my gal wap page is failing sometimes... erh most times
You cant halt the ASP script while a page loads because the ASP script runs from the server and renders the page to the client system.

However, with the method response.flush you can reveal parts of the page that have already been parsed.

For ASP Version 2.0, you will need to set response.buffer = true at the very top of the ASP page in order to utilise the flush method. By default it is set to true in ASP 3.0
Unread 9 Aug 2003, 09:27   #12
(°>
lowly ensign

Thxs CjC.... you've given me another idea.

The page being loaded isn't being rendered on the client btw.
The ASP is loading a page, to get the data, to in turn generate a new page to serve to the client.