User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 Jul 2003, 18:17   #1
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
DHCP Codes

Option Code 81 is supposed to tell the client Windows 2000/XP system to include it's DNS domain name in the request it broadcasts to the DHCP Server. I want to know how to turn that flag on.

Google searches have shown that it's doable, but not how. Reading the registry hasn't provided clues yet.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 01:10   #2
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
I for a moment had the hope you were coding your own dhcp client, then realized this was a TECH SUPPORT issue.
W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 01:23   #3
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by W
I for a moment had the hope you were coding your own dhcp client, then realized this was a TECH SUPPORT issue.
Correct, thanks.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jul 2003, 22:04   #4
Mirai

So does anyone know how to do it?

Technet isn't being helpful right now.

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 00:08   #5
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai
So does anyone know how to do it?
If you mentioed which DHCP server you were using, we might stand a better chance of helping.
Unread 4 Jul 2003, 07:49   #6
Mirai

Quote:
Originally posted by Raging.Retard
If you mentioed which DHCP server you were using, we might stand a better chance of helping.
I'm not asking how to configure the server, that's easy.

I'm asking how to configure the client so that it sends option code 81.

Unread 4 Jul 2003, 18:51   #7
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
Ooops, then Ive missread your question .

What you want it to do is pretty simple, and last time I checked was on by default anyway. Still, heres the steps in XP (Its very simillar in 2k too)....

Network Properties
Local Area Connection (For your DHCP bound adapter) Properties
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties
Advanced Button
DNS Tab
Check 'Register this connection's address in DNS'

This causes the client to send the Code 81 back to your DHCP server. Exactly what it sends can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=191290

There are also various other options on that page to control the registration of your machine which you can alter to whatever suits your needs.

Hope thats what you wanted this time.