User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 15 Jun 2003, 18:23   #1
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light
LCD screens

I read articles about it a few years ago, and didn't advise it for different reasons. My primary concern is: do they display multiple resolutions clearly or can they only handle one.
So, my question is, are they worth the extra expense?
I'm planning to use it both for gaming and coding

Flayer
Unread 15 Jun 2003, 18:53   #2
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
If you have the space for a CRT, then imo get one. They display resolutions better, display colour better, and update faster. The down side is that they take up more room, and you may feel that your penis is smaller for having one.
Unread 15 Jun 2003, 19:05   #3
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light
another thing i would buy it for is that its a lot easier to take away to lans etc. am i right?
Unread 15 Jun 2003, 19:50   #4
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Flayer
another thing i would buy it for is that its a lot easier to take away to lans etc. am i right?
definitely
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2003, 00:11   #5
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Don't you have a laptop ?

Vaio
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2003, 18:34   #6
Flayer
Wankoverable

laptops for gaming? thats not my thing either =)
Unread 16 Jun 2003, 18:35   #7
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Quote:
I here they just invented this 'Intarnetwerk' thing for LANs over larger distances. I'll let you know more as I find out.
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 04:53   #8
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: LCD screens

Quote:
I read articles about it a few years ago, and didn't advise it for different reasons. My primary concern is: do they display multiple resolutions clearly or can they only handle one.
Define clearly?

I've replaced two of my CRTs at home with LCDs and I think they're wonderful. They do display multiple resolutions but they get progressively grainier as you move to lower resolutions. Generally, we're at the highest resolution most of the time so it's not a big issue for us.
Quote:
So, my question is, are they worth the extra expense?
I'm planning to use it both for gaming and coding
The other advantages are space, lower power consumption (and heat), and you can go all digital (if your video card supports it).

For us, space was probably the biggest factor. We had two 17" CRTs and were constantly cramped for space. Going to larger CRTs was out of the question. Now, with two 19" LCDs we have tons of desktop space.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2003, 10:45   #9
Flayer
Wankoverable

all rite, thanks
Unread 19 Jun 2003, 16:47   #10
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
The other reason not to touch them is that you cant get a rapid response time lcd at 1600x1200 with decent colours for love nor money.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2003, 17:42   #11
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
They're great for static work, not so good for gaming (as MT said - response times tend to suck).

One thing worth noting:
A 19" monitor may have a viewable area between 17" - 18".
A 19" LCD has a 19" viewable area.

Thus if you're dreaming of a 19" CRT, a 17" LCD panel provides roughly the same actual screen area.