User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 7 Jun 2003, 13:44   #1
Eidron
The Harsh Light of Day

Eidron is an unknown quantity at this point
Harddrive problem

A few days ago windows stopped loading on my system. Everytime it almost loaded the comp just reseted itself. I decided to reformat my hdd and reinstall windows, but when I treid to install windows I got the error "Virus in bootsector: Continue Y/N?". The comp then froze on me before I could press Y. I tried reformatting the drive again but no joy. I found it really strange how it could have a virus just after I reformatted it. Any suggestions?

You'll never see me but I am everywhere
Eidron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 15:35   #2
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
hm...

maybe the MBR is fubar.

use a boot disk and type

fdisk /mbr

I think that should clear the MBR
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 19:03   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
If there is a virus in the boot sector then it will probably be memory resident.
Also, formatting the drive does nothing to the bootsector.

Find a mate with a decent virus scanner installed and make a set of rescue disks on thier system. Then go get the little bugger.

Unread 7 Jun 2003, 19:55   #4
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Is the 'virus present in boot sector' error part of Windows setup or a BIOS error? Because if you've got the BIOS set to look for suspicious changes in the MBR when Windows tries to write to it (to make your machine bootable) the BIOS might kick up a fuss.

A thought.
Unread 7 Jun 2003, 20:17   #5
Xearz

Xearz is an unknown quantity at this point
Hav eyou tried completely removing the partition?

Why does the airforce need new expensive bombers? Have the people we've been bombing all these years been complaining about the old ones?

#ipc-alliance
www.ipc-alliance.com
Xearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2003, 16:47   #6
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
You did have a virus scanner right ?

Vaio
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote