User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 7 Sep 2008, 18:19   #1
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
I've just had LASEK eye surgery

To correct mild short sightedness, went with Optical Express and added Wavefront after looking at some clinical trial results.

The surgery is surreal, but painless. You can't see shit (except for a flashing orange light), but I knew the surgeon was scooping the front of my eye out with a tiny spoon. You can smell burning flesh (which goes away almost the instant the laser's turned off), but otherwise it's fine.

About an hour later, and for the next 20 hours I was in discomfort and pain. For about 36 hours I couldn't really see because if I opened my eyes I started crying like a baby. Also, I couldn't have the bandage contact lenses out after 3 days because my eyes still needed to man up, hopefully they get taken out tomorrow.

With LASEK, your eyes should continue to improve for weeks, and my sight's already legal to drive (For the first time since I was 12).

If anyone's thinking of having it done, the pain's not too bad and if you're weak you get sleeping pills or anaesthetic drops. I think it's totally worth it if my eyes don't **** up. Optical Express' Rosen Eye Clinic in Manchester has good results and I'd recommend them. I'd also recommend shelling out for wavefront (which has better results in clinical trials).

Also, I got an audiobook called 'The Prometheus Deception' by Robert Ludlum to entertain me during the blind days. The lead character, supposedly an American super-spy dumbly strolls from one self-inflicted problem to the next. I kept hoping he'd be killed for his stupidity, but unfortunately he's given an Israeli sidekick who keeps saving his ass. Maybe it'd be ok to read quickly, but as an audiobook I thought it was a bit shit.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2008, 19:07   #2
Opi
Ensign

Opi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to all
Re: I've just had LASEK eye surgery

How much was it?
Opi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2008, 20:20   #3
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Just under £1.6k. £395 for LASIK or LASEK, wavefront (optional!) adds another £395 or so.

If I'd put that cash I'd saved in the bank, the interest would have been swallowed up by glasses and contact lenses anyway, so decided to go for it now rather than waste a few years.
Unread 7 Sep 2008, 21:18   #4
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

no, how much was the audiobook?
Unread 7 Sep 2008, 21:19   #5
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

How bad were your eyes, and how much better will they become? Did they give an estimate?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2008, 21:24   #6
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You're the third of people I know who have got this done in the last few months.

I've thought about it, but:
1. I don't mind wearing contact lenses enough to fork out £2000 or so (I'd pay more to be assured of decent aftercare etc) to get them done. Contact lenses are a minor inconvenience and I've got used to wearing them now.
2. We don't really know what the long term effects (20 years plus) are of doing this. For all we know, it could make people blind! That's scary!
Unread 7 Sep 2008, 21:27   #7
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat View Post
You're the third of people I know who have got this done in the last few months.
OH LOOK ... appalling use of English ... yet again ...

STOP TEACHING INNOCENT CHILDREN!!!
Unread 7 Sep 2008, 21:35   #8
Tomkat

i'm busy downing gruul innit
Unread 8 Sep 2008, 08:19   #9
Gate
;D!

Quote:
no, how much was the audiobook?
£1.30 for 3 weeks from the library. I'm more pissed off about that than the surgery money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
How bad were your eyes, and how much better will they become? Did they give an estimate?
Without glasses or contacts I could only read a license plate from a couple of metres away.

My recovery so far is average, and clinical trials report that 96%+ of wavefront patients (that's me!) receive 20/20, 71% get better. Wthout wavefront about 70% of people get 20/20 and there's a higher incidence of night vision problems like glare & haloes.

Quote:
1. I don't mind wearing contact lenses enough to fork out £2000 or so (I'd pay more to be assured of decent aftercare etc) to get them done.
Most places offer lifetime aftercare until they discharge you and reports I've heard are good. Iirc Optical Express retreatment rates were 0.9% and the risk of serious complications under 1 in 10,000, so it's pretty safe.

If you're fine with contacts then that's cool. I hated glasses, and even with the extra breathable contact lenses my eyes hurt like a bitch after a night out. Particularly if the club uses smoke machines. And I travel & camp quite a bit and not having to **** around with bottles of contact lens fluid is ftw.

Quote:
2. We don't really know what the long term effects (20 years plus) are of doing this. For all we know, it could make people blind! That's scary!
That's fair. I assume they'll invent something to fix the problem if one develops (& I don't see a theoretical reason for it, LASEK is non-invasive) and in 20 years I'll be rich enough to afford a solution. They'll be able to implant eyes stolen from a third world child or something. Hope they do fair trade so I don't feel bad.
Unread 8 Sep 2008, 11:46   #10
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
i'm busy downing gruul innit

You've been on it for whatnot ten months now?

:<

Get to the choppa.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2008, 14:04   #11
Gate
;D!

Also, I now have better than 20/20 vision & haven't finished healing yet.

An improvement over glasses/contacts. If you want to perv on your students from a safer distance, tomkat, you should probably consider this.
Unread 8 Sep 2008, 21:08   #12
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ban the adbot
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 02:40   #13
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

Quote:
i'm busy downing gruul innit [/u][/b]
l2spread

as to the topic. I know numerous peoples with lasik done and each and every one of them are raving about it, much like gate does. the tag was anywhere from 500$ to 1000$ per eye in one of the best clinics in manhattan
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 15:32   #14
Tomkat

Isn't this how Day of the Triffids started off...?
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 19:30   #15
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Isn't this how Day of the Triffids started off...?
you're perfectly safe

the triffids only abducted interesting people
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 22:02   #16
Tomkat

They didn't abduct anyone you mong, they killed them with big poisonous viney things!
Unread 11 Sep 2008, 02:05   #17
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

The Triffids stung you with a neuro toxin that made you blind so you were easy prey, then somehow ingested you i think, its never really explained properly why they did it and if it was for food or merely to wipe out the race so they could live on the planet in the book.
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2008, 15:38   #18
Tomkat

That also isn't what happened

There were bright flashing lights in the sky which everyone came outside to watch. Then the next day everyone who had seen them became blind. The hero was in hospital with bandages over his eyes and the heroine was completely drunk and had passed out, so they missed the lights and could see!

DUH
Unread 11 Sep 2008, 18:27   #19
Yahwe
I am.

oh look a nerdfight
Unread 12 Sep 2008, 02:13   #20
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate View Post

Also, I got an audiobook called 'The Prometheus Deception' by Robert Ludlum to entertain me during the blind days. The lead character, supposedly an American super-spy dumbly strolls from one self-inflicted problem to the next. I kept hoping he'd be killed for his stupidity, but unfortunately he's given an Israeli sidekick who keeps saving his ass. Maybe it'd be ok to read quickly, but as an audiobook I thought it was a bit shit.

wow what a coincidence
i was listening to that rufus fears series on greats books - books that made history, books that can change yout life, and the book i read today was prometheus by aschylus, it was pretty good, rufus fears kicks ass!
Unread 12 Sep 2008, 10:43   #21
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

Quote:
That also isn't what happened

There were bright flashing lights in the sky which everyone came outside to watch. Then the next day everyone who had seen them became blind. The hero was in hospital with bandages over his eyes and the heroine was completely drunk and had passed out, so they missed the lights and could see!

DUH
hrm i'm gonna have to read the damned thing again, i did read it after i watched the tv series a very long time ago.

but they did sting with neuro toxins .. or something ..
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL

Last edited by Mistwraith; 12 Sep 2008 at 10:49.
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2008, 13:03   #22
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

Quote:

lol this was on the simpsons, in the future episode where ned flanders eyes fell off due to having had the laser surgery decades before
Unread 16 Sep 2008, 18:09   #23
Barrow|Pony
snadwich fetcher

Barrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond repute

I've always been scared of this. It's an operation that reshapes the lens? Or messes with the reception of light on the back of your eye?
Unread 17 Sep 2008, 12:22   #24
Gate
;D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrow|Pony View Post
I've always been scared of this. It's an operation that reshapes the lens? Or messes with the reception of light on the back of your eye?
They move the cells that cover your eye out of the way and then they reshape the lens with a laser. Then they put the cells back. It's not that invasive.

Afaik the only way it messes with the reception of light on the back of your eye is through the indirect effect of the lens shape change.
Unread 18 Sep 2008, 11:30   #25
LukeyLove
ND Ninja!
Trampoline Tricks 2 Champion

LukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to beholdLukeyLove is a splendid one to behold

Ive considered getting eye surgery for awhile but Id heard worrying reports that your eyes start to deteriorate again once theyve been 'healed'?

Im eternally looking at a screen and when im not im reading, hence i have faith id ruin my eyesight again in afew years and need surgery again (but i think you can only get it once?)

Math just doesnt quite work out for me, i wear monthly all day all night contact lenses so i barely notice im wearing them the majority of the time and they cost £20 a month (roughly) so 80 months to get payback on them is 6 and a half years, im bound to have ruined my eyes again by that point. When it gets cheaper/safer its something id certainly consider but im sitting with sitting on my contact lens fence for now.

RAWR!

~Love Luke, Love Life~
LukeyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2008, 10:20   #26
Gate
;D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeyLove View Post
Ive considered getting eye surgery for awhile but Id heard worrying reports that your eyes start to deteriorate again once theyve been 'healed'?
The surgery has been around for about 15-20 years or so and afaik it lasts at least that long. Some people relapse, but most appear to be permanent.

Quote:
Im eternally looking at a screen and when im not im reading, hence i have faith id ruin my eyesight again in afew years and need surgery again (but i think you can only get it once?)
Afaik it depends on the thickness of your cornea and which surgery you go for. I've got fat eyes so was told I can have it done 'many' times. My aunt had LASIK done 3 times (she was one of the ~1% needing retreatment. Now she's fine!)

Quote:
Math just doesnt quite work out for me, i wear monthly all day all night contact lenses so i barely notice im wearing them the majority of the time and they cost £20 a month (roughly) so 80 months to get payback on them is 6 and a half years, im bound to have ruined my eyes again by that point. When it gets cheaper/safer its something id certainly consider but im sitting with sitting on my contact lens fence for now.
Something like 1 in 10,000 have 'serious' complications, which is pretty safe, and afaik no-one's ever been blinded by LASEK.

If you're fine with contacts though, I'd probably stick with them. Contacts hurt me and that was a real bitch.

Also, payback time is bigger than 80 months: if you put the £1600 in the bank now, and averaged 5% interest, you'd get £80/year which you wouldn't if you spent the cash on surgery.