User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 5 Nov 2006, 23:32   #1
KingAlan

KingAlan is a jewel in the roughKingAlan is a jewel in the roughKingAlan is a jewel in the roughKingAlan is a jewel in the rough
A programming- related senior project

My school, the School Without Walls in Rochester, NY, USA has an extensive senior-project requirement.

I started my senior year this September, and I decided to go with an idea that I'd been mulling over during the cours eof the summer: learning computer programming languages.

You see, despitre my extensive interest in computers, I've never gone much beyond simple Web work (HTML, rudimentary CSS and Javascript). So I wanted to expand what I could do with the last two, and learn 'real' programming languages not necessarily atatched to the Internet. C++ was the first thing that came to mind.

However, one of my community advisors pointed out that in his opinion, C++ was rather hard for beginners to start off on, so he suggested Python. (http://www.python.org) So I'll be working with that, maybe starting with C++ as a side project later in the year once I have a firm grasp of Python.

So, have any of you here really worked with that language before?
Round 13- complete n00b, 13:5:19
[Hidden Agenda member from round 14 on out]
Round 14: 11:7 MoD, final rank 1006
Round 15: 11:9:7, Galactic Commander, final rank 724
Round 16: 4:5:7, GC (The Colt 4-5's), final rank 380
Round 17: [forgot my final result]
Round 19: final rank 233
Round 20: 2:7:15, final rank 222
Round 23: bad end rank, crashed too many times
Round 24: am playing Zik

I provided the name for Round 16, "The End of an Era".
KingAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 01:42   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: A programming- related senior project

your advisor is right, c++ is no beginners language , however im not sure about his recommendation for python.
Imo you would be best off doing a bit of c# or java as both can be tied in with your web work if necessary. java through jsp, servlets and applets and c# though asp.net. They are also extensive enough to be used in a significant sense offline, c# especially so.
Im afraid ive got no experiance with python so i cant advise you there though
Unread 6 Nov 2006, 02:01   #3
KingAlan

KingAlan is a jewel in the roughKingAlan is a jewel in the roughKingAlan is a jewel in the roughKingAlan is a jewel in the rough

I don't necessarily want to connect the language I learn to web work, I think that advisor said something about using Python on the Web; I'll have to ask him for clarification on that.
Round 13- complete n00b, 13:5:19
[Hidden Agenda member from round 14 on out]
Round 14: 11:7 MoD, final rank 1006
Round 15: 11:9:7, Galactic Commander, final rank 724
Round 16: 4:5:7, GC (The Colt 4-5's), final rank 380
Round 17: [forgot my final result]
Round 19: final rank 233
Round 20: 2:7:15, final rank 222
Round 23: bad end rank, crashed too many times
Round 24: am playing Zik

I provided the name for Round 16, "The End of an Era".
KingAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Nov 2006, 21:58   #4
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

mod_python for apache exists, and there are a number of frameworks out there for python. 'Django' is probably the most widely used.
I'm no expert, but python is quite friendly as languages go but (and this is by no means an all-bad thing) it is a lot less like c++ than either C# or java.
Ruby is 'similar' to python in many ways, and might be worth looking at (the 'Rails' framework for web apps has gained Ruby a lot of attention, but it can be used for 'traditional' applications).
Unread 16 Nov 2006, 22:41   #5
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Python is ideal to start learning. But bare in mind it's quite an high-level language, meaning that it hides all the nitty gritty. Java is ok, it's not as high level as Python though, and somewhat more complex.

Have a look at the online documentation and decide which you'd prefer to spend your time learning:

http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html -- heavy python duty tutorial
http://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide -- a lighter introduction
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/ -- the java tutorial

C# is very popular these days, and if you're only ever going to use Microsoft Windows it's fine, but I can't say I've ever really looked at it.

If you've got some perverse desire to go really low-level, have a look at C. There are plenty of tutorials out there. But as it's low level it'll be a while until you start to create anything like the things you'll start of creating with Python or Java. And there's C++ if you want to learn a low-level language but in a different paradigm (called Object Orientated--things are organised in certain units which have their own special characteristics.)
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote