User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 10 Jul 2007, 18:20   #1
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Modem / Router Issue

This is just a small problem; probably manifesting itself as a big problem because i'm a ****ing idiot.

I have an NTL home 150 modem, connected to a wireless router, currently serving 2 laptops via ethernet cables.

The ethernet socket on the modem which connects to the router is wonky as ****. It needs to be in at a certain angle and keeps disconnecting me from the net / being really slow and not working at full capacity.

So, i went on eBay and i've bought a NTL home 200 modem to replace it. But;

a/ Will this work, if i simply replace the modem, put the ethernet cable, power cable, and signal cable? I did it earlier and it didnt seem to work.

b/ Do i have to change any of the settings on the laptops / on the router itself? If so, how?

Also, bonus question :

c/ Why is wireless so shit? We only use wires in this house because wireless never seems to work - not even it works terribly, but 5 metres away with a bluetooth dongle installed i cant get it to recognise the wireless router - how do i go about doing this?

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jul 2007, 18:28   #2
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Modem / Router Issue

a) I think you have to change the router's settings, as it's now connecting to a home 200 modem, whereas before it was a home 150 modem.

b) Do you still have the manual?

c) Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it sounds like your router is shit. I had the same problem a while back. Saving an extra £10-£20 isn't worth it when you end up with a piece of crap that doesn't work very well. Ideally, you should have got a router with an internal modem so you wouldn't have all these problems now
Have you tried changing the channel it operates from? This sometimes makes a difference. I think the default is 11.
Unread 10 Jul 2007, 18:38   #3
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

with regards to c), the 3 people in my house each have a wireless router in bridge mode wired to their PCs, and the routers connect to the box that's plugged into the phone line. The difference over the cheap card I used to use is very noticeable, worth the £30 for the router in my opinion.

Is it NTL who check the MAC of the modem on the connection, or am I getting confused?
Unread 10 Jul 2007, 19:28   #4
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
a) I think you have to change the router's settings, as it's now connecting to a home 200 modem, whereas before it was a home 150 modem.

b) Do you still have the manual?

c) Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but it sounds like your router is shit. I had the same problem a while back. Saving an extra £10-£20 isn't worth it when you end up with a piece of crap that doesn't work very well. Ideally, you should have got a router with an internal modem so you wouldn't have all these problems now
Have you tried changing the channel it operates from? This sometimes makes a difference. I think the default is 11.
a/ i wouldnt have the first clue how to start doing this; how would i go about it?

b/ my dad might have it but hes away now, i'll have a look but i might be shit out of luck with that

c/ I didnt buy it, my dad did. I used an awesome system of having 5 network cards in a host tower and taking ethernet cables all over the house.

As far as i can see my router has one button and 4 ethernet ports

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jul 2007, 20:36   #5
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What happens if you stick http://192.168.2.1 in your web browser and press ok?
It doesn't work for all routers but you might be in luck!
Unread 10 Jul 2007, 20:52   #6
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Isn't it usually http://192.168.0.1 ?
Unread 10 Jul 2007, 20:57   #7
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

a) You may have to let NTL know of the different Modem, as most cable connections work using the MAC address of the modem.
Since you've changed the MAC, you need to let them know so they can either add the MAC of the new modem or update the settings on their side to match the hardware you now have.

b) Once you have the new modem running (see a)) then probably all you'll need to do is refresh the DHCP address in the router. This shouldn't be any more difficult than switching it off and on again.

c) Since when did wireless routers work using Bluetooth?
Wireless = 802.11a/b/g/n/whatever
Bluetooth = Bluetooth

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jul 2007, 21:25   #8
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Isn't it usually http://192.168.0.1 ?
The penultimate number is usually the one that changes. It could be 0, 1 or 2 (or even others!)
Unread 11 Jul 2007, 11:33   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I've encountered all manner of local addresses being used; 10.0.0.2 is another fine example.

And as to your question about why wireless is shit: it's because wireless is shit.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jul 2007, 12:04   #10
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

what DM said
Unread 11 Jul 2007, 12:46   #11
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
c) Since when did wireless routers work using Bluetooth?
Wireless = 802.11a/b/g/n/whatever
Bluetooth = Bluetooth
It amuses me that it took 5 replies to pick this up.. I lol'ed

As for the stability of wireless, it used to be extremly unreliable.. but that was 12 years ago, its matured hell of a lot since then and from my own experience is rock solid.

One of the things people tend to overlook is that it is a line of sight technology. Generally your standard off the shelf card & router should be sufficient for most indoor areas (unless you own a mansion). The stock antenna is usually rated to 100M indoors & 400M outdoors.. but that doesn't account for technology blockers like several feet of wall or steel re-enforcing that your standard house is littered with.

Throw in that it has to contend with other devices sharing the same 2.4Ghz band that wireless networks operate on (certain cordless phones etc).

Generally if you can place the router somewhere high where it has less infrastructure to contend with the better. Failing that you can also try a bigger antenna on the recieving end, and as a last resort putting a larger antenna on the router also.

The other common problem people seem to have is setting up the security settings right, if the settings on both the network card and router aren't talking the same then you will not be able to make a connection either.

As part of an experiment myself and a few friends setup a long range network stretching a 10K radius using stock network gear and slightly modified antennas and it was suprisingly stable.
Unread 11 Jul 2007, 12:50   #12
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I've never had a problem in the several months that I've been using wireless broadband. The biggest issue was that it took several weeks for me to actually recieve my router. Also, I couldn't connect because I forgot to press the button on my laptop which says 'wireless' on it which also lights up.

But as for the actual connection, I've never had a problem not even with an external wireless reciever working on Windows 98SE.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2007, 23:06   #13
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

192.168.1.1 is the config page on alot of NTL's routers.

Oh and you really shouldn't have bought a new modem. You havent been able to buy cable modems from the cable companies in the UK for years now, you rent them and as such the person selling the modem was selling something they didnt own.

Now as you require the modems MAC address to match the one they have on record for you its simply not going to work as its associated with someone else. You could ring them up and explain but they might turn around and demand the modem back or something. As you are going to have to ring them you may as well tell them that the modems faulty (as it is) and they will send you a replacement that your be able to auth with them.

As for wireless, the placement and the house play major parts. Same router in my old house worked fine, new one I had great problems with. Took alot of repositioning to get it to work well
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote