User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 4 Jul 2007, 06:50   #1
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all
Thumbs up Movie Review - Transformers

I just saw the Transformers movie and I though it was really good. The story is a little different from what I grew up with but works well for the movie. There are a few campy bits but the action and special effects make up for it. Definitly the best and most expensive toy commercial ever made. Don't rip yourself off by downloading it through bit torrent or what ever you use to download pirated movies. Go see this one at the theater and get the full effects of giant robots smashing, bashing, shooting and blasting each other to smitherines. Even my wife was impressed by some scenes in the movie and she hates sci-fi type movies. She called it a keeper.

The effects were so good my mind wanted to believe that machines could really transform into robots after I left the movie theater. Shame really because I know better but those effects will win an Oscar or at least be nominated.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 07:46   #2
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Movie Review - Transformers

I watched this one on Saturday and i pretty much agree with you. I enjoyed it loads and its nice to see a high budget film that has a useable story aswell as awesome action despite only using 'B actors' compared to boring films like Spiderman that uses so much cash on 'top actors'.

The action was well balanced and quite fun, there was a hot babe( \o\ ), overall its a film very worth watching(preferably at the cinema) and im glad theyre gonna make 2 sequels.
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 09:58   #3
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's not out until the 27th here
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 10:35   #4
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Really?

I thought the it was globally out today.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 11:00   #5
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You'd be wrong.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 11:06   #6
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

He live in London, they get their movies delivered by muslims, and quite frequently they blow up before they reach their destination.

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 11:15   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allfather
He live in London, they get their movies delivered by muslims, and quite frequently they blow up before they reach their destination.
Why do you even bother?
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 11:43   #8
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I sometimes wonder if Allfather just randomly mashes the keyboard with his head until words form.
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 11:48   #9
Tietäjä
Good Son

Tietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better placeTietäjä single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
You'd be wrong.
Yeah, I was, very wrong indeed.

Venezuela also gets it 27th, appears that we've had it since 29th June to some limited extent.
Tietäjä is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 11:51   #10
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Any post i write that does not fall well with the people of gd is a post well written.

Unread 4 Jul 2007, 12:00   #11
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

I'm afraid I had to pos-rep Allfather for that post.
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 12:19   #12
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Any post i write that does not fall well with the people of gd is a post well written.
"apsdhfoahscoiacaoxcaoixhvoxcfa" is another example of a post that wouldn't go down well, for precisely the same reasons as it happens. You're not a comedy superstar, you're not a trolling superstar. You're another sad example of someone who's only goal in life seems to be to make himself look like a fool.
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 12:23   #13
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Thank you for that in depth analysis of my persona.
Now, go back to vacuuming my carpets.

Unread 4 Jul 2007, 12:53   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Thank you for that in depth analysis of my persona.
Now, go back to vacuuming my carpets.
Once again, I have to assume you're going for confusion as a response.
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 13:14   #15
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I have only seen a cam but with movies like this sometimes this is the best way to see them for what they are as it prevents you being distracted by how great it looks.

The movies has some major problems, the biggest being Michael Bay himself. As a director hes a bit of a hack, he can do the big action and special effects stuff well but thats where his skills stop. Most of his movies and transformers is no different are like one of those paint by numbers. He has his pencil outline which say xx minutes explosion goes here, xx minutes, Sidekick makes a witty remark ect ect and he doesn't stray outside this outline ever. It makes the movie predictable and when you have seen one Bay movie you have basically seen them all. And then it comes to the none action scenes, he knows he needs them but he has no clue how to pull them off. They are badly written, under developed, often badly acted, overlong and generally just badly directed. Take the scene where they destroy the family's back yard, it seemed almost as long as the rave scene in Matrix 2. And when scenes weren't too long they were jumping around like a kid with ADHD. A movie should flow but this movie had no flow whatsoever. Then you have Megan Fox, I havent seen her in anything else so its hard to judge if she is just eye candy with no talent but the way she was used in this movie was just that. While casting older people to play School kids is the norm a good actor and director can make it believable (Mean Girls is a good example, especially Rachel McAdams who was 28 at the time of its release) but at no point Megan Fox ever come off as anything but someone in their 20's

I'll go and see it when its released here as id like to see how it looks on a big screen but I wont be rushing to see it, it will be something i go to see when i have nothing better to do and want something i don't have to put any thought into watcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by isildurx
I watched this one on Saturday and i pretty much agree with you. I enjoyed it loads and its nice to see a high budget film that has a useable story aswell as awesome action despite only using 'B actors' compared to boring films like Spiderman that uses so much cash on 'top actors'.
What 'top actors' did spiderman use. I mean lets look at the 3 movies

Spiderman 1
Tobey Maguire - A few critically aclaimed performances in movies like Pleasentville, Wonder Boys, The Cider House Rules and Ride with the Devil but was hardly a top draw actor and most people would have said "who" before Spiderman and then Seabiscuit

Kirsten Dunst - Largely been doing Teen Flicks like Bring it on (admittedly Teen Flicks that were fairly well received)

James Franco - Best known for the cancelled too early TV show Freaks and Geeks

Willem Dafoe - While a great actor he isnt a major star. He's like William H Macy, if you want an actor who will do the part well and for a reasonable pricet you cast him, if you want to sell the movie off the actors back you dot

Spiderman 2

Alfred Molina - Replaced Dafoe, bit part actor

Spiderman 3

Thomas Haden Church - rave reviews for sideways a few years earlier but apart from that not much done.

Topher Grace - Most famous for That 70's Show

Bryce Dallas Howard - Most famous for being Ron Howards Daughter. Was pretty good in The Village (but was also in the mess that was Lady in the water0

The line up in those 3 movies is certainly no stronger than the transformers line up of

Shia LaBeouf - Supporting roles in I, Robot and Constantine and won rave reviews in the lead role in Disturbia

Josh Duhamel Star of TV show Las Vegas

Anthony Anderson - Stared in Me Myself and Irene, Romeo Must Die, Barbershop, Scary Movie 3 & 4, , Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle and the Departed. Also a regular on US TV where hes had Special Guest star roles in shows like Veronica MArs, The Shield and Till Death

Jon Voight Probally Best known now for Being Angelina Jolies Dad but a top actor in his own right

Hugo Weaving Stared in Lord of the rings, Matrix triology, V for Vendette
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 13:41   #16
Zirikk
Bounce Back Champion, TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Penguin Bashing Champion, War on Terror Champion, Bugz Champion

Zirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to beholdZirikk is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
despite only using 'B actors'
John Turturro is a "top actor" in my book.
He was very good in Miller's Crossing.

I haven't seen Transformers yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Zirikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 16:12   #17
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
I sometimes wonder if Allfather just randomly mashes the keyboard with his head until words form.
heh.

Someone, with good taste, said that movie was a bit awful. I doubt I'll see it. I read an article in the Guardian about independent directors circumventing hollywood and releasing stuff straight onto the net (for like 2.99 a viewing and 9.99 for keeps). I keep meaning to try that out. Not that I can find a professional site for that now though...
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 17:40   #18
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Alternative review of Transformers :

Man i wish id watched this movie when i was 7 and not had to wait till now to pretend that i actually still care about a crappy kids/retro-kitsch 20th century obsession.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 17:45   #19
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I can't imagine that this film will be any god at and and as a result O'm not gonig to go and watch it. I first became suspicious when the first trailer I saw looked shit. things then got worse when I found out who the director was and that he has made some terrible movies and this was, no doubt to follow in the footsetps of mentally defective big bang movies with absolutly no plot or tolerable script.

I have no idea whether wakey has any taste in films whatsover, but in the thread I completely agree with him.*

*I still have not seen the film btw, and shall not see it if it can be avoided.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 17:47   #20
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
Alternative review of Transformers :

Man i wish id watched this movie when i was 7 and not had to wait till now to pretend that i actually still care about a crappy kids/retro-kitsch 20th century obsession.
Aww, you're just jelous because they didn't make thundercats first, aren't you?

Relase date 2010.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 17:55   #21
You Are Gay

You Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet society

I watched Bad Boys II and that's the last time im gonna give money to Bay to melt my head with his shitness.
You Are Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 18:02   #22
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

you pretty much deserved everything you got for watching part of the bad boys franchise.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 18:44   #23
All Systems Go

Quote:
you pretty much deserved everything you got for watching Martin Lawrence in ANYTHING!.
Unread 4 Jul 2007, 20:13   #24
You Are Gay

You Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
you pretty much deserved everything you got for watching part of the bad boys franchise.

You're such a racist!
You Are Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jul 2007, 16:59   #25
All Systems Go

I would like to take this oppertunity to recommenDie Hard 4. Even though they tried to fag it up with with '4.0' and althat bollocks they still managed to make a pretty decent action movie and it shows Vin Deisel how to make an action movie that isn't completely shit.
Unread 6 Jul 2007, 17:10   #26
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Live Free and Die Hard is a good modern day action film, which is to say it's a mediocre action film. It's not really in the same vein as Die Hard, and it's got a hell of a lot of nonsense in.
Unread 6 Jul 2007, 17:21   #27
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Its still better than any other recent action film of note.
Unread 7 Jul 2007, 01:01   #28
QazokRouge5
Back from timeout.

QazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
I have no idea whether wakey has any taste in films whatsover, but in the thread I completely agree with him.*

*I still have not seen the film btw, and shall not see it if it can be avoided.
He doesn't. A horrible review by a self proclaimed movie buff with an incomplete knowledge of...well... knowledge.
Quote:
Originally posted by Yahwe
Gay ducks only do it because it impresses their peers.
QazokRouge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2007, 10:53   #29
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by QazokRouge5
He doesn't. A horrible review by a self proclaimed movie buff with an incomplete knowledge of...well... knowledge.
Where did I self proclaim myself a movie buff? And what exactly is horrible about my review, seriously there's nothing in it that could be argued with by anyone with the slightest knowledge and interested in film. The scripts paper thin, the direction of the actors is poor, the acting leaves a lot to be desired, theres no 'depth', many scenes are too slow and too long, the editing jumps scenes erratically, the pace is all over the place.

The only saving grace is the action scenes and the special effects, luckly for Bay people like yourself are easierly seduced by such visuals so he will once again have a film that makes a load of money despite the fact hes a hack and couldnt make a good movie to save his life

Action movies will never be perfect masterpeices, they will always have a certain number of problems, more often than not the script and they can over come them by just being fun but when so many problems exist like they do here it is simpy too much for goo actions scenes to overcome
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 7 Jul 2007, 19:18   #30
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Where did I self proclaim myself a movie buff? And what exactly is horrible about my review, seriously there's nothing in it that could be argued with by anyone with the slightest knowledge and interested in film. The scripts paper thin, the direction of the actors is poor, the acting leaves a lot to be desired, theres no 'depth', many scenes are too slow and too long, the editing jumps scenes erratically, the pace is all over the place.

The only saving grace is the action scenes and the special effects, luckly for Bay people like yourself are easierly seduced by such visuals so he will once again have a film that makes a load of money despite the fact hes a hack and couldnt make a good movie to save his life

Action movies will never be perfect masterpeices, they will always have a certain number of problems, more often than not the script and they can over come them by just being fun but when so many problems exist like they do here it is simpy too much for goo actions scenes to overcome
When I go to see a movie like the Transformers I am NOT looking for Shakespearian prose. Nor am I looking for Oliver Stone like direction. I am looking for the transforming robots to be as cool and real looking as possible. In this respect I think Bay did an excellent job. I honestly could care less about the rest. Actions films are not supposed to the kind of works of art that stand the test of time like the movie Citizen Kane.

Unread 7 Jul 2007, 19:36   #31
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler
When I go to see a movie like the Transformers I am NOT looking for Shakespearian prose. Nor am I looking for Oliver Stone like direction. I am looking for the transforming robots to be as cool and real looking as possible. In this respect I think Bay did an excellent job. I honestly could care less about the rest. Actions films are not supposed to the kind of works of art that stand the test of time like the movie Citizen Kane.
WRONG!

YOU'RE WRONG!

Congratulations you have just wandered into 'defending bad movies with nonsensical tags'* territory. It has become a staple of the modern cinematic age to defend bad movies with a throwaway comment like 'it's an action movie' or 'it's a chick flick'. the idea that it is impossible to make a good movie in one of these genres or that because theycan be easily stereotyped you can just shovel any old shit on to that silver screen and not complain is an appalling attitude.

When I go to watch a movie I expect it to be good. What I do not expect to see is bad acting of a bad script badly directed covered up with something shiny.

terminator 1+2 are an action movies and are great films at the same time.
terminator 3 is an action movie and is really bad at the same time.

to deride an entire of genre because you** like bad movies is frankly insulting.

*yes, it needs a better name, all suggestions will be welcomed
**the collective you, not you personally
Unread 8 Jul 2007, 07:37   #32
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

The original 1974 "Gone in 60 Seconds" by H.B. Halicki was this kind of film. I cannot remember an action movie in the last 10 years that would be considered one of the great works of all time.

Unread 8 Jul 2007, 07:53   #33
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Let us not forget that what defines a good or bad movie ultimately is up to the individual experiencing it.

While you make a semi-valid point I don't feel you are being entirely fair to Travler.

I think the main point he was trying to get across is that for most of us we go to see an action movie for some form of escapism.

I have yet to see the Transformers movie myself, and while I have some fond memories of the franchise as a kid I am by no means a fanatic.

When I go I expect to see huge transforming robots battling it out with each other. Whether the script is good or bad and if the acting is on par is really of no relevance since this is not a movie meant to be steeped in realism (cant recall the last time I saw a prime mover turn into a hulking colossus... though there was that monster truck show I went to once..).

At the end of the day its just an excuse to disengage the brain for a couple of hours cheap entertainment.
Unread 8 Jul 2007, 11:59   #34
All Systems Go

Quote:
The original 1974 "Gone in 60 Seconds" by H.B. Halicki was this kind of film. I cannot remember an action movie in the last 10 years that would be considered one of the great works of all time.
that's because all action movies of the past 10 years have been shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
Let us not forget that what defines a good or bad movie ultimately is up to the individual experiencing it.

While you make a semi-valid point I don't feel you are being entirely fair to Travler.

I think the main point he was trying to get across is that for most of us we go to see an action movie for some form of escapism.

I have yet to see the Transformers movie myself, and while I have some fond memories of the franchise as a kid I am by no means a fanatic.

When I go I expect to see huge transforming robots battling it out with each other. Whether the script is good or bad and if the acting is on par is really of no relevance since this is not a movie meant to be steeped in realism (cant recall the last time I saw a prime mover turn into a hulking colossus... though there was that monster truck show I went to once..).

At the end of the day its just an excuse to disengage the brain for a couple of hours cheap entertainment.
I don't demand realism I do however demand some kind of quality above absolutly terrible. If you have a terrible scrpt, acting and direction wheat else is left for you to enjoy? If you want to see pretty colours take some LSD or something. Just don't try to defend bad filmsand act as if it's the fault of the genre rather than the people who actually make the movie.
Unread 8 Jul 2007, 12:02   #35
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

citizen kane doesn't hold up the test of time especially well nor is oliver stone a good director
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2007, 12:03   #36
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
citizen kane doesn't hold up the test of time especially well nor is oliver stone a good director
Would you care to elaborate on either of those points?
Unread 8 Jul 2007, 12:18   #37
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

there's a clear difference between a film that can be appreciated for it's influence and merits (of it's own time) to actually having stood the test of time to hold its own ground right now in any sense bar it's influential and then-innovative nature.

as far as oliver stone's credentials as a director, i suspect he gets a lot of of his love purely for platoon and perhaps scarface. has noone realised he's also directed natural born killers, alexander, world trade center, jfk, born on the 4th of july, u-turn and god knows what else that's not much short of painful to watch
Unread 8 Jul 2007, 12:51   #38
All Systems Go

[quote=jerome]there's a clear difference between a film that can be appreciated for it's influence and merits (of it's own time) to actually having stood the test of time to hold its own ground right now in any sense bar it's influential and then-innovative nature.

Could you elaborate please? In what way does it fall short of modern-day films?
Unread 8 Jul 2007, 15:59   #39
jerome

it's flat out tedious. the power of the word rosebud may once have had some impression to last through to a viewer but in the context of modern films, i find it (like the rest of the film) quite lacking in emotional depth. additionally, the film being tiring as a series of insistent metaphors didn't help much either. not that modern films don't do these same things ( hello linklater!) i felt largely detached to the film for the most part, for all its cleverly innovative audio-visual work, the film is a bit of a drag.
Unread 8 Jul 2007, 21:21   #40
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

can anyone tell me if transformers is any good then?
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2007, 23:54   #41
Tomkat

Quote:
Isn't that largely down to the special effects being overly used and thus dated 3-4 years on though?
Unread 9 Jul 2007, 01:26   #42
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Wakey: Im not saying Spiderman used the best actors, but they used some very expensive ones(afaik atleast Dunst and Maguire dont come cheap), while Transformers didnt splash too much cash on high profile names and instead used more time and money on great effects and action.

Yes and Im sure Transformers had a big name or two, but they hardly had any major roles opposed to people like Tobey Maguire in Spiderman.
Unread 9 Jul 2007, 01:48   #43
QazokRouge5
Back from timeout.

QazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
eh
Your desire to be different from everyone else by giving bad reviews overshadows your already miniscule intelligence.

Bad Acting? Where?

Paper thin script? I didn't know Michael Bay sent you a copy.

Poor direction? How and where?

The director is a 'hack'*? Well they should have hired you. Oh wait, they knew that he would do what needed to be done to generate revenue. What, you thought movies were made to satisfy your entertainment needs? Silly boy.

You're saying that widely accepted and above average movies are shit. Why? You give no examples and cite no specific points.

If you don't like action movies then stay the **** out of the theaters.

*Whatever the **** that is.
Quote:
Originally posted by Yahwe
Gay ducks only do it because it impresses their peers.
QazokRouge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2007, 12:24   #44
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Wakey: Im not saying Spiderman used the best actors, but they used some very expensive ones(afaik atleast Dunst and Maguire dont come cheap), while Transformers didnt splash too much cash on high profile names and instead used more time and money on great effects and action.

Yes and Im sure Transformers had a big name or two, but they hardly had any major roles opposed to people like Tobey Maguire in Spiderman.
Tobey Mauire was paid around $4million for Spiderman according to CNN

Quote:
CAMPOS: They're already talking sequels because it's going to make so much money. And he got $4 million, Tobey Maguire, for this one. They negotiated double that for the sequels. But if makes $200 or $300 million, his agents are going to come back and say, you know, I think we should renegotiate.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...03/ltm.15.html
Thats hardly ground breaking fees, especially for a movie intended to be a summer blockbuster

Cant find figures for Kirsten Dunst but as she was in a supporting role, hadn't had the same critical acclaim in her previous movies so its safe to say she got less

Now I will give you that Shia Labouf was paid peanuts (around $500k) mainly due to the fact he asked for less to persuade the studio not to go for a bigger name, but then Tyrese Gibson was paid $8mill for his role. So I'm thinking that the chances are the two films acting budgets are probably vary simerlar. Transformers and even more so Spiderman are properties which have a big enough draw that they didnt need to cast well known actors to sell the movie so wage budgets are relativly tiny compared to most movies (well atleast for first part, Tobey Maguire got $17mill for Spiderman 2, $18 for 3 and is rumoured to have been offered $20 for part 4, and all the transformers cast will find they get a significant bump for parts 2 and 3)
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 9 Jul 2007, 13:42   #45
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by QazokRouge5
Your desire to be different from everyone else by giving bad reviews overshadows your already miniscule intelligence.

Bad Acting? Where?

Paper thin script? I didn't know Michael Bay sent you a copy.

Poor direction? How and where?

The director is a 'hack'*? Well they should have hired you. Oh wait, they knew that he would do what needed to be done to generate revenue. What, you thought movies were made to satisfy your entertainment needs? Silly boy.

You're saying that widely accepted and above average movies are shit. Why? You give no examples and cite no specific points.

If you don't like action movies then stay the **** out of the theaters.

*Whatever the **** that is.
1) Where have I said I don't like Action movies. As All Systems Go basically said the 'genre' a movie falls into means very little when it comes to quality of a movie. A good action movie can be as enjoyable as the best drama but transformers is simply not a good action movie.

2) I wanted to like the movie due to being a fan of the cartoons as a kid

3) I'm not trying to be different from others, Im stating a valid opinion and one which is held by many others as Transformers has a very mixed reception. On rotton tomatoes for example its listed as being Rotten by critics.

4) "You give no examples and cite no specific points". I have stated more examples than ANYONE else whos stating how great it is. The only example of it being great that anyones actually given is the same thing I praised it on, THE SPECIAL EFFECTS/ACTION SCENES

5) A hack is basically a term for someone who has little skill at what they are doing usually used in creative and artistic professions. And since when has generating revenue had anything to do with making good movies. Pirates 2 and 3 generated massive revenue, were they good movies, I think not. The Matrix sequels are the same. In fact alot of commercially successful movies have very few redeeming features.

Transformers is a property that was going to make a fairly good amount of money no matter what but it could have done alot more than just making a good amount of revenue. With a better director, better editing, better script and better casting for some of the roles nd it could have gone down as a great movie
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 12 Jul 2007, 14:48   #46
All Systems Go

Not only is this movie about 10-15 years too late it is also a propaganda movie to intentionally push the pro-environmental message. Whilst I do think this is a god message to push, I don't like it when it is hitting people in the face.

Also, it completely ignores a previous moment in which the same point was made in a funnier episode of this series which just makes this movie all the more pointless.

That said, I've not actually seen it but I do not have high hopes, for The Simpsons.
Unread 12 Jul 2007, 14:55   #47
All Systems Go

However, I am a bit more optimistic of the straight-to-DVD Futurama movie(!) which I have just found out about. Actually, there are going to be four or them but I'll reserve judgement until after the first one.

Although it's confusing because of this

[quote-wiki]In February 2007, Groening clarified speculation as to whether Futurama had been revived in episodic or feature-film form, saying "[The crew is] writing them as movies and then we're going to chop them up, reconfigure them, write new material and try to make them work as separate episodes."[/quote]
Unread 13 Jul 2007, 12:27   #48
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold

Does the movie have any resemblance with the old cartoon? Aside from the names and that it is about robots.. Because my first thoughts about the movie, based on seeing the trailer, are not that positive. (As in "doesn't look like the cartoon at all, doesn't deserve the name either".)

Who keeps an arrow in his bow,
And if you prod him, lets it go?

A fervent friend, a subtle foe –
— Scorpio
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jul 2007, 12:36   #49
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

My brother and cousins are completely nuts about Transformers, my brother has a shitload of these little toys still in his possession and I suspect him of playing with them when feeling lonely and naked. He (and my cousins) recently went to see it and where surprisingly entiousiastic about the movie itself, it seems they've captured the old atmosphere quite well, according to them.

I really don't care about it myself.
Unread 13 Jul 2007, 15:00   #50
Scorpio
Inflate My Ego

Scorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to beholdScorpio is a splendid one to behold

Hmm in that case I guess it's my "Don't mess with my childhood (memories)" attitude

Who keeps an arrow in his bow,
And if you prod him, lets it go?

A fervent friend, a subtle foe –
— Scorpio
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote