User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 2 Jul 2007, 16:17   #1
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Job Interview

If i get the job itself i'll talk about it later. I'll just talk about the interview itself here though.

Anyways as i would really like it i thought i'd prepare myself for it. I went over my application form and tried to figure out what questions they'd ask me. Once i did that (i got 27 odd questions from my A4 page expression of interest) i then had the fun task of thinking up my answers for them. Even with all that i didn't cover all the bases.

Questions i was asked that i hadn't thought of answers for were:

"How do you build rapport with your colleagues?" / "How do you develop productive work relationships with them."

I think i might have slightly screwed up this one. My answer (in my head ... i wasn't daft enough to say it) was "You're nice to them". What i did say was something along the lines of "Be nice. If they don't know you introduce yourself. Don't just jump in and demand what you want. Ask politely for it. Remain polite throughout." I mean what IS the spot on answer for this?

Incidentally this is the question i'm most annoyed about 'cause i should have been prepared for it.

"Have you ever had to deal with a difficult external customer?"

I've got a good stock answer for this so although i didn't prepare an answer specifically for this interview (i didn't think i'd be asked about it) i was ok about it.

"Have you ever had an occassion where there was no information available to guide your decision, not locally, and you had to look elsewhere for an answer?"

Hadn't thought about it but came up with an ABSOLUTELY ****ING GENIUS response. I was VERY impressed with myself. I saw one of the interviewers write down "shows initiative" (being able to read upside down script is cool) in response to my answer.

"What do you think YOU could bring to this role?"

Again i'm annoyed with myself about this one. I didn't expect a "proper" interview question (it's an internal job). Also it kinda caught me off guard. My response went something like this:

[Very serious face]
"Well ... other than my charm"
[/very serious face]
Then i smiled my good smile as they were laughing (not at with).

In the end i said something along the lines of i was very keen on the job (backed up) and that i had good attention to detail (which is a key part of the role).

So anyways what are your interview experiences? What awkward questions have you been asked?
Unread 2 Jul 2007, 16:38   #2
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts
Re: Job Interview

Isn't that questionaire abit over the top for a job selling mobile phones?

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2007, 16:40   #3
Dark_Mage
I wish I was a Commander

Dark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud of

I think you missed a good chance to test your theory that you can get through life using only quotes from American Psycho and Fight Club.
Dark_Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2007, 16:53   #4
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Mage
I think you missed a good chance to test your theory that you can get through life using only quotes from American Psycho and Fight Club.

You can get by in real life using the quotes. Sadly a job interview is not real life. As such ...
Unread 2 Jul 2007, 16:54   #5
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allfather
Isn't that questionaire abit over the top for a job selling mobile phones?

You're confusing me with Blasto (how is that even possible???) again.
Unread 2 Jul 2007, 16:57   #6
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

LIES, I'm quite sure i read on the forums a few years back that you sold mobiles to some semi celeb.
It was either you or nodrog, and i don't think that kid knows the meaning of the word work

Unread 2 Jul 2007, 17:02   #7
Dace
so f*cking zen

Ohhh ok then. I must be mistaken.
Unread 2 Jul 2007, 17:06   #8
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Nice of you to admit it.
I know best!

Unread 2 Jul 2007, 17:11   #9
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

"Have you ever had an occassion where there was no information available to guide your decision, not locally, and you had to look elsewhere for an answer?"

What answer did you give? That's quite a tough question. I'd probably talk about looking at how other organisations have dealt with the problem and how that may help this organisation, keeping in mind our differences and organisational culture. I'd talk a bit about how I'd go about the research as well I suppose. Thinking of an example on the spot would tax me though.

"How do you build rapport with your colleagues?" / "How do you develop productive work relationships with them."

I'd speak about the importance a) of understanding how my colleagues work, b) the work-place culture, and c) what their aims and goals are. Basically, a good empathetic relationship from understanding a bit about them and their work-load.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2007, 17:12   #10
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
LIES, I'm quite sure i read on the forums a few years back that you sold mobiles to some semi celeb.
It was either you or nodrog, and i don't think that kid knows the meaning of the word work
It was Blasto. He used to work in Phones4u on Oxford Street and met quite a few quasi-famous people
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2007, 17:14   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Didn't you have sex with lots of men while studying to be a lawyer at Oxford? It was either you or nodrog, and nodrog isn't the lawyer type.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2007, 17:17   #12
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebdomad

What answer did you give? That's quite a tough question.

There was a case in work which wasn't covered by policy (i looked all over). I wrote to the policy network group saying "What should i do?". They told me "Yeah you're correct. There's no policy on it." and basically didn't answer my question so i took a course of action which i could justify.

Sorry for no details but i doubt im allowed to talk about it (security and such).
Unread 2 Jul 2007, 17:18   #13
Dace
so f*cking zen

Also Hebdoman the empathy stuff sounds good. I'll probably use that in future.
Unread 2 Jul 2007, 17:34   #14
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

I think i did alittle typo, mabye it was Rids.
It was one of them young and angry GD people.

The thread went something like this:
"Was in the store when this famous [insert name] girl went in.
[insert rest of post]

It was not the nick mentioned further up, cause I never heard about it before now. This was round 2003

Anyho:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddy
Dace < *

The funny part was him attempting not to look at the cute goth chick on the subway to his place. He was failing, eyes flickering back and forth.

Whilst discussing Jesus.

And how Jesus didn't love KoeN.

Also how Jesus and the whole immaculate conception thing was really bad PR for Durex.

And me only now realising as I typed the above that Durex wouldn't have played a part anyway.

Unread 2 Jul 2007, 18:02   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I think i did alittle typo, mabye it was Rids.
A search for posts containing "phones" by Rids brings up

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=162133

So quite possibly.

Blastoderm's been around since 2002, so I'm surprised you haven't encountered him. About 10 times as many posts as you, as well.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2007, 18:40   #16
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

I searched for mobiles and got 14 pages full of threads
My post count is relative, I got all mine deleted after a few incidents on the forums some 4 years ago

And i been around since r1, but under a different nick, and still don't remember him . All I do remember it was one of them macho macho forum types that ranted about stuff. And that the name had 4 letters.

My old and brittle memory doesn't help me much more then that

Unread 2 Jul 2007, 19:39   #17
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
I'd have mentioned diversity in some fashion. Obviously not everyone is the same, and not everyone is going to roll around laughing when you start the paedo jokes. So listening to people is an obvious first step, especially because you're hardly rushing to be these people's best friend. There are management theory books (mainly by Americans) which recommend memorising small details of people's lives so you can ask them follow up questions later which show you care. That's far too calculating for my tastes, but it reveals a more basic truism that if you show an interest in people (even things like the way they like a particular work task to be performed) they'll tend to respond positively.

More generally, I'm not interested in people liking me, I have friends outside of work and I'm sure the same is true of the other people here. I'd much prefer to establish a reputation for competence, reliability and so on so people would feel confident coming to me with a problem. This doesn't mean making promises to all and sundry, but offering support where you can. Likewise, recognise others strengths and don't be afraid to ask for help - people tend to feel good about helping others (so long as you're not bothering them excessively with trivia).

Obviously you will tend to have different relationships depending on who a person is organisationally. This doesn't mean sucking up to the boss, but if you're managing a particular person it can be inappropriate to have certain kinds of conversations with them (say). Being excessively friendly with people might make objective decision making difficult. </drivel>

I have to interview some candidates in a couple of weeks and I've no idea what I'm going to ask. I suspect I'm going to give in to temptation and ask at least one incredibly stupid question just to see what their response is.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2007, 21:03   #18
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

last summer my 'lol jobz suck and people are shit' forthright in your face interview tactic failed for the first time. which was amazing, as i didnt want a job

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2007, 21:53   #19
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

back that long ago dace was still in his "mobile phones are completely unnecessary" phase