User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 8 Oct 2007, 08:22   #1
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Events Day - Need your help!

Yo

This Thursday is "Events Day" at my school. It's a day that's been put aside specially for school trips and things. Lots of pupils are out of the school all day, doing activities (some educational, some not so much like trips to theme parks or whatever).

The Maths/Business/ICT faculty (that's mine!) are looking after all the year 10s (14-15 yr olds) who aren't going on any trips. We have to find stuff for them to do in school which is fun but isn't just dossing around.

Luckily I have the use of an ICT suite, so I'll have 5 sets of about 25 pupils during the day (1 hour for each set).

I'm going to try and hook my gamecube up to the Interactive Whiteboard () and have a Mario Kart tournament for each set (which should take an hour). Obviously only 4 pupils can play at a time though, so I need to give the others something to do while this is being done.

I was going to give them all a Flash game (or 2) to play on the computers, and then whoever gets the highest score I could give a prize to (a bag of Haribo or something).

So in summary (what a needlessly long post) I'm asking for your ideas/memories of Flash games that:
  • Aren't just a shoot-em-up - I'd like them to be logical kind of puzzles if possible.
  • Will engage and be interesting for 14-15 year olds (I'd originally considered Growcube but I think they'll get bored or won't "get it") for an hour or so.
  • Has a score system so I can award the person with the highest score.
  • Does not need them to sign up anywhere or anything like that - it should be a quick load-and-play.

Any ideas? Please!
Unread 8 Oct 2007, 09:34   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Events Day - Need your help!

Do you remember the last time the internet helped you out with a class? Let me refresh your memory:

<JBG> i like to pretend to be working as much as possible
<TomKat> i literally have a year 7 class with me now and i'm on here
<jesterina> HELLO YEAR 7 CLASS
<jesterina> HOW ARE YOU TODAY?
<jesterina> DON"T LET TOMKAT GIVE YOU CANCER
<Alki> YOUR TEACHER LIKES LITTLE BOYS
<TomKat> **** you guys i had to turn off the interactive whiteboard ;(
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2007, 09:46   #3
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Are you looking for web baesd stuff or something you can download / install?

To be honest a Quake III Arena always went down well when I was at school

In terms of puzzle stuff I sometimes play stuff on addictinggames it's got lots of categories of games to choose from.

Not sure about high scores on them all but you could just have pupils take a screen shot of their score when they loose and submit it to a shared folder or something.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2007, 14:54   #4
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What is 'dossing?'
Why aren't they going?
Have you considered a Football Manager network games?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2007, 14:55   #5
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
What is 'dossing?'
Messing about doing nothing.

Unread 8 Oct 2007, 14:56   #6
You Are Gay

You Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
What is 'dossing?'

Amusing.
You Are Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2007, 14:57   #7
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASG
Have you considered a Football Manager network games?
That may take a tad more than one hour if you even want to even finish pre-season :P

If they aren't on a trip then I would imagine most just won't turn up as they know there will be nothing to do. We never did anyway.

Can't you just let them browse the internet for an hour or go outside and playing football/rugby/cricket?
Unread 8 Oct 2007, 15:59   #8
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Just beat them with an orange in a sock, it'll be just as educational
Unread 8 Oct 2007, 19:04   #9
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i guess you could make them play Gridlock and judge it on who gets to the furthest level.

It goes to level 40 so they shouldnt complete it in an hour i dont think

http://www.corwin.ca/gridlock/

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2007, 19:17   #10
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I've found out that the activities have to be "vaguely" educational so Mario Kart isn't allowed. I'm not entirely sure how "going to Thorpe Park" or "going ice skating" is educational, but yeah ok

So I'll probably get them to make animations or something in Flash, or if I can be bothered/get time I'll do some team challenges with General Knowledge. It's supposed to be ICT based so they could use Google or something, and the team with the highest score wins the prize.

Any ideas?!

Thanks anyway for the suggestions guys.
Unread 8 Oct 2007, 19:20   #11
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

like i said elsewhere, a lego mindstorms tourney
Unread 8 Oct 2007, 20:13   #12
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

make a wiki treasure hunt by editing random pages !!
Unread 8 Oct 2007, 21:34   #13
Landor Maxim

Landor Maxim is an unknown quantity at this point

Have atiddly winks competition.
Landor Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2007, 00:00   #14
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Talk to Dace for an hour and the last one touching their pee pee wins.

Oh god, is it even acceptable to make Dace jokes any more?
Unread 9 Oct 2007, 08:20   #15
Tomkat

I've decided to split them into teams of 4 and give them "challenges" to do (10 mins on each one). They get points and then the team with the highest can get a prize. I've decided to have the challenges as:

Information
I might give them a load of things to find on the internet such as prices and train times. I always assumed using Google was easy but some people find it quite tricky to find the exact result they want (they just click on the first result that comes up, and don't refine their searches very well).

Communication
I'll have a big white screen on the Interactve Whiteboard and they have 10 minutes (2-3 mins for each person to have a go) to play Pictionary and get as many right on it as possible. Bit obscure for "communication" but it should be quite fun.

Technology
Not sure what I'll do here. Any ideas?! Might use one of the suggested websites to find a "technological" game and get them to get a high score on it.

General Knowledge
Maybe a crossword or similar, and they could use the internet (again!) to search for answers to it.

Comments/suggestions?!
Unread 9 Oct 2007, 20:16   #16
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Technology/Communication
Get a digital camera, take some pictures of themelves/their school/their pee-pees, then use the photos on one of those DIY websites to make a simple webpage.

Get GD to vote on the pages and we'll declare the winnar!

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2007, 20:47   #17
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Pictionary is
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 10 Oct 2007, 03:06   #18
Landor Maxim

Landor Maxim is an unknown quantity at this point

what another events day it seems like every day is an event try teaching them something for a change after all they may just like it and clammer for more.

Does this mean I am mad at the world or just suffering from unlearning fobia.
Landor Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2007, 12:21   #19
All Systems Go

I'm not sure but I certainly have a phobia of unlearning.
Unread 10 Oct 2007, 12:51   #20
All Systems Go

Get them to fight and put it on Youtube.
Unread 10 Oct 2007, 12:59   #21
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantoz
http://www.totallytricky.co.uk/riddle/ame.php
Educational, not too easy, level based, and it's improbable that they'll finish all hundred levels in 1 hour.

http://laser.narr.as/laser.swf is a classic, and tests logic and whatnot.
I think the riddle one will be a bit advanced for them.

That laser one is really good though - I'll probably use that. Thanks a lot, Nantoz!!
Unread 10 Oct 2007, 22:13   #22
Tomkat

For anyone who's interested, the final tasksheets for each team are here:

http://www.trattle.co.uk/eventsday/tasksheets.doc

(10 minutes on each task, with rotation)
Unread 11 Oct 2007, 08:05   #23
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Which US State had a shooting at a school yesterday?

Is that really suitable?
Unread 11 Oct 2007, 08:20   #24
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

****ing Comic Sans.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 11 Oct 2007, 11:23   #25
Marv
Jazz Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK's quiz thing

1. The “Orange Box” was released yesterday. What is it?
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
A [wont say answer ] including a [thing] with a really annoying cliff hanger ending where I wont get to find out what happens for a good year and a bit

Unread 11 Oct 2007, 11:48   #26
Mzyxptlk
mz.

It would probably be an interesting experiment to give these questions to random adults, see how many can actually productively use a search engine. My guess is rather few.
Unread 11 Oct 2007, 13:55   #27
Game^

Game^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to behold

It would be more interesting if his kids googled the URL link in a few days, and discovered Mr Rattle's online persona!
Game^ is offline   Reply With Quote