User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 21 Jul 2007, 20:54   #1
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Opinions Please

OK it's a Saturday night and I'm bored. this afternoon I wrote a little riff and I'm having trouble deciding how to use it. I've recorded two versions; first with the riff as the bass line; the second with the riff on the guitar.

I knocked this up quickly to help me decide, but it hasn't really helped.

I doubt I'll get many responses tonight but if anone's out there, let me know which version you prefer.

the first version is the first 39 seconds, the second version follows after the brief pause.

Edit: I've redone the guitar for the first bit, retuned the guitar and shifted it up a bit.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

Last edited by All Systems Go; 22 Jul 2007 at 08:57.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2007, 20:56   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Opinions Please

of the two, i prefer #2 ( and had decided on this one within the first few seconds of hearing it )
Its got a nice intro style to it imo
Unread 21 Jul 2007, 21:02   #3
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

The chords on the first one sound just not quite right.

It might be some dodgy clash between the roots & melody / harmony notes but there is defiantly something sounding not quite right on my ear.

The second one worked better harmonically for me but was quite forgettable rhythmically. I liked the way the rhythms of the first one played off each other in a more dysfunctional way.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2007, 21:10   #4
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

and remember ladies and gentlemen that Marv likes to rawk
Unread 21 Jul 2007, 21:10   #5
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

that might be a simple problem of being slightly out of tune. I'll probably redo the guitar tomorrow.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 21 Jul 2007, 21:21   #6
Opi
Ensign

Opi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to allOpi is a name known to all

I agree with the others, I think the bass version doesn't work that great together with the guitar part you put over it, while the guitar version fits that simple bass line and so just sounds better.
Opi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jul 2007, 23:05   #7
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yeah I'm agreeing with Marv here on just about every point.
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 01:37   #8
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

the second is much better and sounds like it could make quite a good song
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 02:59   #9
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

The first one I think has two problems, it does indeed sound like its slightly out of tune, but the other is that the bass & guitar seem to share the same tonal range and clash with each other. I would drop the bass an octave or two and see how that works.

The second one is fine though, and has a Paranoid Android like riff.
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 08:57   #10
All Systems Go

I've redone the guitar for the first bit. Retuned and shifted it up a bit.
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 11:13   #11
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Is the new version just the bass guitar on its own this time? Doesn't sound like the original but I've got nothing to compare it with.
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 11:18   #12
All Systems Go

Hmm, no idea how that happened. Anyway it's sorted now.
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 12:09   #13
All Systems Go

btw, doe anyone know of a good program to synth string instruments?
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 14:44   #14
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

The second version is still better
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 15:21   #15
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Some of the ascending bass runs on the first one still don't sound quite right harmonically. Apart from that it sounds better.

The second one sounds good, but is still fairly unimaginative rhythmically. I think that the bass line is the main culprit here, but the melody rhythm could use a bit more syncopation to bring it out a little more.

Oh and you can hear at the very end where you hit the mic or there is some interferences on the signal

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 15:27   #16
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The second one is pretty good.

The first one is a travesty and rather than trying to fix it you should ditch it and move on.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 17:22   #17
djbass
mmm.. pills

Didn't get a chance to hear the revised version.

Puting the guitar riff a pitch higher instead of lowering the bassline seems to have made it sound a little like a sitar, gives it a kinda middle-eastern tint.

Second one is nice and fluent, but still sounds too much like radiohead/muse (not surprising I guess since the latter is listed as an Influence).

I still have hope for the first, I think later I might attempt to play with the motif myself and see if i can extend the concept.
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 17:30   #18
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
Didn't get a chance to hear the revised version.

Puting the guitar riff a pitch higher instead of lowering the bassline seems to have made it sound a little like a sitar, gives it a kinda middle-eastern tint.

Second one is nice and fluent, but still sounds too much like radiohead/muse (not surprising I guess since the latter is listed as an Influence).

I still have hope for the first, I think later I might attempt to play with the motif myself and see if i can extend the concept.
I need to take a bit of a break from it as I can't find anywhere to take version 2 so I've ended up with a 3 minute version with the exact same constant bass line, removing the guitar for the verse (might try and put something there later) and having interludes of cello (shoud I find a way to make some).

I'll have a look at version 1 at a later date and I'll probably make a version combining the both of them into one song. If I end up with only three versions of this song then I'll be happy.
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 22:56   #19
All Systems Go

Well I'm sending off my laptop charger tomorrow to get a replacement one for free so my laptop (and therefore the internet also) shall be out of use.

With this in mind I'm upload ing a substandard quality version for you to get the general idea. the playing is terrible and I've not bothered to fix it as I've spent the afternoon messing about with string parts.

Link is same as the first one.
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 23:15   #20
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

GET A JOB!
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 23:17   #21
All Systems Go

I've been working today. Not being paid, but still working. I was hoping to hear about a job interview I went on last week but I've heard nothing so I'm guessing I've not got it. I'm consoling myself with music.

Stop being mean to me! :crymeariver: