User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 1 Jun 2007, 20:23   #1
You Are Gay

You Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet society
Thought of the day

Which is worst?

a.) Cheating on your partner.

b.) Cheating on your partner when drunk (using intoxication as a mitigating factor in your defence).

c.) Deciding that you might want to cheat on your partner and so going and getting drunk and placing yourself in a situation which would most probably result in you cheating on your partner and then doing so (using intoxication as a mitigating factor in your defence).

I'm no lawyer but i believe that people can get reduced sentences for commiting crimes whilst not in a fit mental state (i.e. diminished responsibility for killing someone after they've just killed your friend in front of you or whatever). As such B might hold some water (however im sure you'd get a longer sentence for killing someone whilst drink driving etc). C holds an element of pre-planning but again your "under the influence" so would it be worse than deliberately doing something whilst sober.

I was considering this earlier and have come to my own conclusions i was just wondering what others thought.
You Are Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2007, 20:40   #2
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Thought of the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Are Gay
Which is worst?
It all depends if you get caught or not.
Unread 1 Jun 2007, 21:20   #3
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Which is worst?

b.) Cheating on your partner when drunk (using intoxication as a mitigating factor in your defence).

c.) Deciding that you might want to cheat on your partner and so going and getting drunk and placing yourself in a situation which would most probably result in you cheating on your partner and then doing so (using intoxication as a mitigating factor in your defence).

I'm no lawyer but i believe that people can get reduced sentences for commiting crimes whilst not in a fit mental state (i.e. diminished responsibility for killing someone after they've just killed your friend in front of you or whatever). As such B might hold some water (however im sure you'd get a longer sentence for killing someone whilst drink driving etc). C holds an element of pre-planning but again your "under the influence" so would it be worse than deliberately doing something whilst sober.

I was considering this earlier and have come to my own conclusions i was just wondering what others thought.
voluntary intoxication (from whatever source) is never a defence.
Unread 1 Jun 2007, 22:32   #4
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

All are bad, but I think c.) is worst.
Unread 1 Jun 2007, 22:32   #5
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i'd say a) and c) are the worst.

b) could be you simply dropping your guard.
Unread 1 Jun 2007, 22:47   #6
HRH_H_Crab
Jazz Maverick

HRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud ofHRH_H_Crab has much to be proud of

So lets get this straight, you are talking about a person who when sober would never consider being unfaithful? And they drink enough (either deliberately, or not) to lose their mental faculties such that they might be unfaithful?

Im not actually sure I could physically commit the act under those circumstances! It would take a LOT of alcohol to make me lose pretty deeply held values like those.

I think its therefore a pretty silly question.

Edit: I hadn't really read the options carefully, and wrote crap.

I think they are all equally bad, but C is not only bad, its clearly lunacy.

Last edited by HRH_H_Crab; 1 Jun 2007 at 22:54.
HRH_H_Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2007, 23:00   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't hold views that "cheating" (if that's what you're insisting on calling it) is bad but I once did get incredibly drunk and then got off with a girl while otherwise being in a relationship with someone I had no desire to "cheat" on.

I did regret it though, partially because I was so drunk I ended up kissing a girl much uglier and fatter than my actual girlfriend and partially because my girlfriend (unbeknownst to me) was standing six feet away at the time. My regret was also sharpened by, while in the same stupor I broke a new camera, lost my phone and loudly condemned all of Peckham and it's citizens for being shit (while standing outside the KFC there).

So to answer your question, C.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2007, 00:53   #8
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Abstract thought experiments about moral problems are almost always a waste of time, you have to deal with actual examples with context in order to get anywhere. The type of cheating that someone does while drunk is likely to be different from sober cheating (eg its probably more likely to be with a stranger, its more likely to be a one-night thing, and so on).
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2007, 01:04   #9
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't drink and I hardly do immoral things
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2007, 15:39   #10
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

"Cheating" - in my opinion - is doing something (not necessarily even physical) with somebody, that you wouldn't want your partner doing with somebody else*.

Obviously the tolerance levels are different for each of us. I wouldn't want my girlfriend kissing someone else, so I don't kiss anyone myself as that'd be cheating (in my mind).

I'd be more willing to forgive my girlfriend if she was drunk and it happened. However, the circumstances and situation and a whole host of other factors would come into play too (if I forgive her this time does that then mean she'd regard it as ok to do in the future?). I'm certain my girlfriend is a nice young lady who'd never look elsewhere though, as she knows the grass is nice and green where she is!

*I've tried rewording that sentence a few times but it's hard to make it read fluidly. If anyone fancies giving me a helping hand (providing you understand the gist of it!) that'd be nice!
Unread 2 Jun 2007, 19:16   #11
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
Unless they highlight people's use of moral axioms that supposedly transcend said contextual differences and open them up for discussion?
Unless youre a religious fundamentalist/kantian its likely that your 'moral axioms' will be somewhat nuanced and context-dependent, hence requiring details about the actual situation in question. The main problem with the specific question in this thread is that (as I said) the sort of cheating someone does when drunk is generally different from the sort of cheating someone does sober - a one night stand with a stranger met at a club is different from sleeping with someone youve known for a while, and so on.

Its like the 'would you kill 1 person to save 10 people' thing; it might be an interesting thing to discuss (although it isnt), but it tells you pretty much nothing about a person's actual ethics because its a purely abstract situation with no real-world context or relevence - who are the people? why are they going to die? How would something like this ever occur?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2007, 21:46   #12
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Thought of the day
trying to tell anyone other than members of this forum that the hysteria about children and sex is silly will only make them accuse you of justifying rape.

If they then make the comment 'sex between adults and children is wrong' and you (quite reasonably i thought) point out that the age of consent is actually below the age at which you're no longer considered a minor the level of hate reaches 11.
Unread 2 Jun 2007, 22:48   #13
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Which is worst?

so which have you done? i presume c) (no other woman would sleep with you)

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2007, 23:10   #14
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of

If you are contemplating cheating on your girlfriend/partner, then you might as well do both of you a favour and end the relationship now.

It will save pain in the long run.
Unread 3 Jun 2007, 00:56   #15
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

this thread should be retitled 'thought of the gay'.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2007, 14:54   #16
viC
Carnivorous Flamingo

viC is a splendid one to beholdviC is a splendid one to beholdviC is a splendid one to beholdviC is a splendid one to beholdviC is a splendid one to beholdviC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
For instance, While such an extreme example as i gave above might sway some, a less potent example may not have i.e. "is it ok to hit a woman if she is beating up your girlfriend?"
This also brings up the moral dilemma of what one should do when faced with two fighting women:

1] End the fight.
2] Pour baby oil on each of the contestants, set the video camera, and sit back with a beer.
Unread 3 Jun 2007, 16:07   #17
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Maybe. I've heard people say such and such action is immoral irrespective of context on quite a few occasions. i.e. "hitting a woman is never ok".
I doubt people mean that though. They mean "hitting a woman is never ok, at least not in situations you're realistically going to encounter".

I would say torture is never acceptable, but of course it's possible to imagine some absurd 24 style scenario where terrorists have nukes in all the hospitals in the world and only one man has the code to stop them going off, and the only way you can get the information...etc. But that's ridiculously unlikely to occur to anyone, let alone me, so I'm fine with my absolute statement on torture.

A basic premise of any discussion on morality is that you're talking about the actions of human beings on some level. If you're talking about how you might design advanced robots in order they did no harm then it's different - you have to be exact and specific with every clause because there's no common-sense/intelligence to draw upon. With human beings, there should be no mindless application of rules without regard for the context. So "never" might not mean "never" if you distort the situation enough.

And so, in a discussion, if you say:
"Imagine you're walking down the street and you see someone about to beat up a pregnant woman, do you try to stop them?",
I'll say "Yes, of course." But then if you say
"Ah, but the woman was Adolf Hitlers mum and you had just been sent back in time - lol, owned you just caused the deaths of millions"

Well...that doesn't mean I was wrong, it just means your scenario is stupid.

If you're not trying to win some contest then I'd say a key part of any debate is trying to understand what the person meant in a flexible manner that's fair to them, not seeing if you can mis-apply their moral axioms to absurd scenarios to see if they result in outcomes they oppose.
Unread 3 Jun 2007, 16:14   #18
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Incidentally, I wouldn't say thought experiments are totally without merit, although I agree with Nod about the context. Sometimes they're useful to get a general feel for someone's views on a subject.

In some cases, an actual real case can obscure the underlying issue - especially if the facts come to light slowly.