User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 24 May 2007, 05:48   #1
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Lancaster University Library

I took 3 books out in February.

I hadn't returned them because I couldn't find one of them.

I found it this evening.

I checked my library account online.

Fines: £79.95.

How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2007, 08:37   #2
-Blue Moon-
Hello Tietäjä

-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future
Re: Lancaster University Library

two options:
1) claim you gave it back ages ago and its not your fault they lost it, then secretly pop it on the shelf where it was supposed to be. they might let you off thinking that someone forgot to check it back in when they put it on the shelf.

2) ...or pay the fine - afaik if you don't they have the power to stop you graduating (or at least receiving the certificate on the day). i know its a lot of monety for a student, but you may have to bite the bullet

-- good luck! :-)

R1-2 [VanX] - R3 [Legion] - R4 [Legion/Shogun/FORT] - R5-6 [WP/Shogun/FORT] - R7-8 [VsN] - R9-R9.5 [Seraphim/VsN]- R10-12 [WP] R13 [1up/eXilition] R14 [Orbit/scanner] R15 [eXilition] R16 [Orbit/scanner] R17 [Subh/scanner] R18 [eXilition] R19 [F-Crew/scanner] R20 [Orbit/Destiny/scanner] R21-22 [Orbit/scanner] R23-25 [In-gal-def-ho]
-Blue Moon- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2007, 08:42   #3
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

I take it you go to Lancaster University. Which college? Which subject? I was a Grizedalean back in the late nineties / early nouties.
Unread 24 May 2007, 09:14   #4
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

Befriend the library staff, pick the one most likely to let you off and then drop in the bit about the fine.

Or make up some ridiculous story about returning it to the Medical library or whatever else you have. It can't possibly be your fault. Talk about your clean library record to date!
bwtmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2007, 09:40   #5
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Blue Moon-
two options:
1) claim you gave it back ages ago and its not your fault they lost it, then secretly pop it on the shelf where it was supposed to be. they might let you off thinking that someone forgot to check it back in when they put it on the shelf.

2) ...or pay the fine - afaik if you don't they have the power to stop you graduating (or at least receiving the certificate on the day). i know its a lot of monety for a student, but you may have to bite the bullet

-- good luck! :-)
Number 2's certainly the way things worked in Edinburgh; you weren't permitted to graduate if you owed any University department any money. So that includes rent, course fees and library fines I guess.
Unread 24 May 2007, 10:02   #6
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Pwned by kamasutra

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2007, 10:43   #7
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Why didn't you keep renewing it?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2007, 10:44   #8
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Pay the fines. You didn't even take back the two books you did have
Unread 24 May 2007, 10:49   #9
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Three books for university courses should be worth about £100 (or more) I guess. Sell the books, pay the £75 fine and go have some fun with the £25 you have left

£75 is a pretty damn huge fine after all.
Unread 24 May 2007, 12:00   #10
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yeah that's what you get for READING, you NERD. I hope you learnt your lesson GOOD.
Unread 24 May 2007, 12:01   #11
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

befriend someone who works in admin. get them to remove it.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2007, 14:43   #12
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

invent a time machine, go back in time, return the book before the deadline and stop wasting student resources :maturestudentmad:

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2007, 16:53   #13
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I had a fine for a few hunderd, maybe more. I am not exagerating. I took out four books the Short Loan Collection at my university. I thought they were all vacation loans for Easter. I go on holiday for a week and when I get back I try checking my unis email, but with it being bank holiday weekend the servers are down for maintanence (Friday-Monday)

On the tuesday I get an email saying At 50p an hour, for 10 days on 4 books I owed them £xyz and I need to pay that and return the books.

I emailed her back saying I was in New York as my sister is giving birth etc, I didn't realise they were short loan, apologies etc. I can mail the books.

She emailed me back saying no problem, fine cleared, just return the books when I get back.

So the moral of the story is lie through your teeth.

Say someone died if you have to. 9/10 they will let you off the phone. Just apologise a lot.
Unread 24 May 2007, 17:15   #14
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Pay the fine and help support your school facilities. Obviously don't do that if it'll put you under undue hardship.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2007, 20:21   #15
You Are Gay

You Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
I owed them £xyz

£480 minus £48 for each day short loan is valid for.

I was bored.
You Are Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2007, 20:49   #16
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Are Gay
£480 minus £48 for each day short loan is valid for.

I was bored.
ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante
Pay the fine and help support your school facilities. Obviously don't do that if it'll put you under undue hardship.
If it didn't put you under undue hardship don't give them your money.

The amount of money Universities make is astonishing. That is my belief anyway. At Kent, and I am sure Dantes university LSE was the same, the amount of money overseas students provided was amazing. Kent was singing happy days all the way back to the bank and in my 3 years there they have added what appear to be useless building facades, more computers, loads of disabled stuff, a few more cafe/eaterie type places and in general just spent a load of money.

Obviously speculate to accumulate etc, but I am pretty sure that Universities in Britain aren't doing as bad as we are led to believe, sure no USA, but they aren't starving of money.
Unread 24 May 2007, 20:59   #17
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
ta

If it didn't put you under undue hardship don't give them your money.

The amount of money Universities make is astonishing. That is my belief anyway. At Kent, and I am sure Dantes university LSE was the same, the amount of money overseas students provided was amazing. Kent was singing happy days all the way back to the bank and in my 3 years there they have added what appear to be useless building facades, more computers, loads of disabled stuff, a few more cafe/eaterie type places and in general just spent a load of money.

Obviously speculate to accumulate etc, but I am pretty sure that Universities in Britain aren't doing as bad as we are led to believe, sure no USA, but they aren't starving of money.
Yeah, Lancaster Uni and LSE are the same.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 24 May 2007, 21:07   #18
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
I take it you go to Lancaster University. Which college? Which subject? I was a Grizedalean back in the late nineties / early nouties.
ah yes, Grizedale: The college bar you go to if you hate yourself but can't face killing yourself. And County/Philosophy & Politics.
Unread 24 May 2007, 22:14   #19
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

just negotiate you spineless turd.
Unread 25 May 2007, 00:12   #20
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Yeah, Lancaster Uni and LSE are the same.
I made the case that LSE receives plenty of foreign students thus the mula.

I still believe Lancaster University will hardly be doing badly, seeing as tuition fees have gone up. I guess you want to make some snide remark that assertion? Go ahead, I am here all evening.
Unread 25 May 2007, 00:34   #21
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
I made the case that LSE receives plenty of foreign students thus the mula.

I still believe Lancaster University will hardly be doing badly, seeing as tuition fees have gone up. I guess you want to make some snide remark that assertion? Go ahead, I am here all evening.
I have taken issue with your initial statement as it essentially based on one university. It's a it like saying

'All families on welfare are flushed with cash, just look at the Royals.'

You decided that Phang didn't have to pay the fine (though he should for being retarded enough to keep the other 2 books) and then made some blanket assertion about every university to justify it. Not only that but for your example you chose (what I believe to be) two affluent universities which are completely unrepresentative of most other universities, to make your point.

You then made the claim that ALL of the recent spending in Kent came from overseas students (without considering grants, sponsership deals with large corporations etc) with no supporting evidence.

Now, I'm not saying oveseas students and top-up fees arent bringing in a lot of money, but that is not to say the money is desperatly needed in some places. From what I understand Cardiff University Union has several million pounds in the bank, whilst Swansea University are closing entire departments.

I object to you using rich universities as a measurement of all universities especially to support comments which as you admitted, were pulled out of your arse.

If you want to call that snide, fine go ahead. I've got no need to get up early.
Unread 25 May 2007, 01:15   #22
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
I have taken issue with your initial statement as it essentially based on one university. It's a it like saying

'All families on welfare are flushed with cash, just look at the Royals.'
Do you not agree that Universities in "general" are indeed doing ok. I mean essentially a University regardless of what it does is a business and if you compared it to other businesses I would say that on paper the figures of most universities don't look at all to bad.

I base this on a few things. The increase in fees for home students. The increase in overseas students to British Universities, like you said grants and sponsorship deals with large corporations, money from the government, the increase in students at universities and in general universities paying shit wages to its staff in relation to other institutions across the world (Australia, USA and Canada).

Quote:
You then made the claim that ALL of the recent spending in Kent came from overseas students (without considering grants, sponsership deals with large corporations etc) with no supporting evidence.
True that was my mistake, but I felt that readers would be able to understand and work out for themselves how and where university income comes from and that I wouldn't have to spell it out in BIG RED LETTERS. I wanted to point out that a substantial amount comes from overseas students.

Quote:
Now, I'm not saying oveseas students and top-up fees arent bringing in a lot of money
Glad we agree.

Quote:
But that is not to say the money is desperatly needed in some places. From what I understand Cardiff University Union has several million pounds in the bank, whilst Swansea University are closing entire departments.
I just want to make a quick assertion here. A Union and a University are two different entities. You may have made a simple mistake here. But a Union is funded by the University, it is run by students, for students and it's aim isn't to make profits. In fact Kent Union was in masses of debts a few years ago due to the mickey mouse policies it adopted under its previous management of students. Under the new regime they have capitalised on the fact that they are in a city which lacks clubs and been very smart with how they balance the books.

Cardiff Union I am in no doubt probably doesn't do as well as Cardiff University. The University gives the Union x amount per year and after that it is up to them. If you meant Cardiff Uni as oppose to Cardiff Union I apologise.

Swansea University closing departments may not be an indication of it doing badly financially. Indeed going back to my earlier point, Universities are now businesses. It may make business sense to get rid of certain courses that don't provide enough profit/income to make them viable to run them and instead concentrate/specialise in areas that the university suceeds in and can capitalise on.

Quote:
I object to you using rich universities as a measurement of all universities especially to support comments which as you admitted, were pulled out of your arse.
Fair enough, but I hope you understand my assertion a bit more.

Quote:
If you want to call that snide, fine go ahead. I've got no need to get up early.
I wouldn't call it a snide comment, as you put thought into and replied with an answer suitbale to begin calling this a debate. I applaud you. I welcome your reply.
Unread 25 May 2007, 01:32   #23
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

My uni is awesome.

The maximum fine is only £10. It never increases. \o/
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2007, 01:42   #24
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Cardiff's SU is big. One of the biggest in the country. It does this by having a proper nightclub instead of stupidly cheap drinks and making itself incredibly attractive to students. Good bands (Kaiser Chiefs, Manics) come and play gigs here because it has a good reputation, which brings in more money.

That money's going to be spent on a new union building which is sorely needed - it'll happen in the next few years.
Unread 25 May 2007, 03:13   #25
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
having a proper nightclub instead of stupidly cheap drinks
I can't help but find this vaguely unpleasant as an idea.
Unread 25 May 2007, 03:34   #26
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

but nightclubs are great

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2007, 03:55   #27
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

but there are lots of nightclubs and not many places selling stupidly cheap drinks with no chavs
Unread 25 May 2007, 09:43   #28
furball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
but there are lots of nightclubs and not many places selling stupidly cheap drinks with no chavs
There aren't any chavs - it's student only. But you pay £1.25/£1.50 for a drink so they make decent money.
Unread 25 May 2007, 11:28   #29
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Do you not agree that Universities in "general" are indeed doing ok. I mean essentially a University regardless of what it does is a business and if you compared it to other businesses I would say that on paper the figures of most universities don't look at all to bad.

I base this on a few things. The increase in fees for home students. The increase in overseas students to British Universities, like you said grants and sponsorship deals with large corporations, money from the government, the increase in students at universities and in general universities paying shit wages to its staff in relation to other institutions across the world (Australia, USA and Canada).
I have absolutely no idea about the financial well-being of universities so any opinion I give would be just a guessed based on an outward appearance and therefore pretty much irrelevant. From your previous post, I have taken it that you have not seen data on the financial well-being of universities, so I suppose we are both in the same boat.

It is true that universities are not shutting down left, right and centre but that doesn't mean they have the necessary funding to provide the adequate level of education. Let's take secondary schools as an example. Some of them are in desperate need of extra funds, but they remain open.

With the increased number of students going to university then there needs to be more places. As a result the poorer performing universities can still get students as there is demand. Whether or not they are able to charge enough to improve the university or just prevent it from decaying is another matter.

I would imagine grants from corporations would be for a specific purpose, such as building a new superconductor or supercomputer or whatever to teach the next generation of scientists that particular corporation will need in the future. If they tried to spend the money on things like history books or musical instruments then I'm not sure how happy the corporation would be. this is all hypothetical but I would imagine most (if not all) corporate sponsership is made with the idea of directly benefitting the company.

I don't know how much money the universities get from the government but I would imagine that the disability changes (which are mandatory under the law) are being (at least) partially funded by the government. these changes have to be made so whatever aspect of 'wealth' this development seems to portray is offset by the fact that they had to find the money somewhere as these changes had to be made.

Quote:
True that was my mistake, but I felt that readers would be able to understand and work out for themselves how and where university income comes from and that I wouldn't have to spell it out in BIG RED LETTERS. I wanted to point out that a substantial amount comes from overseas students.
Firstly, I'm not psychic so I don't know what you're thinking. Secondly, you have already admitted you have no idea where the money is coming from, except for what you think in your head. In this sense 'substantial' is meaningless as it has no parameters to be judged by. 20% of the budget is substantial, but so is 80%. You seemed to put a lot of emphasis on overseas students bringing in the cash but without being able to look at it in presective (alongside the rest of the university budget) it's difficut to work out what impact they have had.

there is also the matter of how sustainable is this? If this has been going on for a long time then it becomes difficult to see it as a new windfall, unless overseas students are paying far more than they previously were. If this is a new phenomena then it is possible that it might end in a few years and universities may well be in trouble again.

Quote:
Glad we agree.
Except that neither of us have any statistical evidence to back up this point. Again, I'm not sure how far we agree anyway. What I consider a lot of money might just be a fraction of what you a thinking of.

Quote:
I just want to make a quick assertion here. A Union and a University are two different entities. You may have made a simple mistake here. But a Union is funded by the University, it is run by students, for students and it's aim isn't to make profits. In fact Kent Union was in masses of debts a few years ago due to the mickey mouse policies it adopted under its previous management of students. Under the new regime they have capitalised on the fact that they are in a city which lacks clubs and been very smart with how they balance the books.

Cardiff Union I am in no doubt probably doesn't do as well as Cardiff University. The University gives the Union x amount per year and after that it is up to them. If you meant Cardiff Uni as oppose to Cardiff Union I apologise.
I've no idea how well Cardiff University is doing, though I would imagine that it is pretty rich being the biggest university in Wales, in the best location and with the best reputation.

What I do know is that Cardiff Union has an awful lot of money in the bank, what I have been told is millions of pounds. that seems to be backed up by furball's comment about the new building.

Quote:
Swansea University closing departments may not be an indication of it doing badly financially. Indeed going back to my earlier point, Universities are now businesses. It may make business sense to get rid of certain courses that don't provide enough profit/income to make them viable to run them and instead concentrate/specialise in areas that the university suceeds in and can capitalise on.
this is certainly a possibility, though it is a sad day when educational facilities only teach that which is profitable. I still cannot seeing as a sign of being that financially stable as the limiting of courses seems to be (to me, at least) to be a negative development in regards to a universities prestige.

Quote:
Fair enough, but I hope you understand my assertion a bit more.
I see where you're coming from but at the end of the day all of this is based on nothing concrete.

Quote:
I wouldn't call it a snide comment, as you put thought into and replied with an answer suitbale to begin calling this a debate. I applaud you. I welcome your reply.
Hmm, just looking at the time of your post. I thought you had left so I went to bed about 10 minutes before this post as it said you were off-line, oh well. Better late than never I suppose.
Unread 25 May 2007, 12:20   #30
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

i payed £129 in library fines last month, it was fantastic, somehow they came to the conmclusion i owed £180 so i paid that, but they refunded me the rest:\