User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 12 Apr 2007, 12:28   #1
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
[Football] Arsenal

Quote:
Arsene Wenger has warned Arsenal fans not to expect any high-profile arrivals in the summer.

Even a poor run of form in the league - with three defeats in the last four games putting fourth place at risk - has not convinced the Frenchman to waver from his focus on developing young talents.

In recent weeks The Gunners have been linked with players such as Marseille's Franck Ribery and Sevilla's Daniel Alves, as well as the obligatory string of young players across the continent. Now Wenger has insisted he is not planning to break precedent and bring any ready-made superstars to Emirates Stadium when the transfer window opens.

"I'd be happy to go into next season with the same squad because we are in a growing process," said Wenger in The Mirror. "The temptation is always there to spend but I'm more concerned with developing the young players.

"I don't think we need a big investment."

However, Arsenal will have to decide whether to sign Julio Baptista on a permanent deal in the summer after the expiration of his loan move from Real Madrid.
Relevant Sky Sports News link

I'm left feeling practically distraught. He's said this a few times, but he's finally directed the comment towards the fans. For so long I've agreed with his plans for the club - don't spend stupidly, invest in youth, look to the long-term. But we're being challenged for 4th now and we can't really afford to lose the Champions League money. The board has said again and again that the funds are available for Wenger to spend - we're talking £20-30 million here. The stadium has been very carefully financed so that the manager still has money to spend, that was their intention all along.

Should we be challenging for the title every season? I believe so. I know we've had unexpected injury problems this season - losing both Henry and Van Persie for the second half of the campaign has really hurt and you can't always plan for that, but we haven't had much useful squad depth for a while now.

How do I feel about our investment in youth? I ****ing loves it. We have some of the best young players in the world - Fabregas, Denilson, Walcott, Diaby, Bendtner, Carlos Vela. A lot of our team is in its early twenties - Van Persie, Adebayor, Eboue, Clichy, and they can only get better. I really do rate them, even if their inexperience shows at times. Without a doubt the credit must go to Wenger for recruiting them. Our scouting operation is the best in the world.

So why aren't we winning - or at least pushing harder? I thought about this, and then decided to look at our competitors, in particular Man United who had a little slump a couple of seasons back. What have they done?

The answer, I feel, is that they haven't been afraid to spend big when they needed to. Ferdinand - £30m. Ronaldo - £12m. Saha - £13m. Carrick - £14-18m. Vidic - £7m. Rooney - £25m. I don't expect Arsenal to match this level of spending power - far from it. But where United had holes that they needed to fill after players such as Stam, Keane and Van Nistelrooy left, they filled them with players who were ready now. Where they had youth players ready to make the step up - Fletcher, Richardson, Brown they did so, but if there was a gap then it got sorted out. That has been reflected in United's consistency this season - their ability to keep winning even when the strikers lost form.

It can't be disputed that there's a fair few gaps in Arsenal's team at the moment. The defence looks good for the future, and I'm confident that Lehmann, who keeps getting better and better, will stay. However, this season has seen us getting horribly over-complicated and unable to score when teams understandably put eleven men behind the ball, especially if they have the lead. We got round this a few seasons ago with width, getting in behind the lines players and making viable chances. That width was provided by Pires and Ljungberg, and has now gone. Pires left the club, Ljungberg's lost it. I can't complain there - every team loses players. But they haven't really been replaced.

Rosicky is a good player, but he makes things happen from the centre, not out on the left flank. He's a playmaker, not a winger, and we need a winger. Hleb is someone I rate very highly, in particular because of his workrate, so I wouldn't let him go. He's good down the wing as well, even if he likes to wander inside as he runs at defenders. Hleb's also played very well in tandem with Eboue, who will be at this club for a long time - if Hleb can't dribble past a full-back, Eboue will power past them with his electric pace. But Rosicky can't take it past them no matter what, so that often just leaves us up shit creek without a magic paddle. Continuing this theme, an important part of Henry's game has been drifting out to the left-hand side and overloading that side of the defence, creating gaps for others. But if our left winger isn't there to team up with Henry, he's just going to get mass-marked by the nearest defenders. Pires was very good in the left corner, but we haven't seen much of Rosicky there at all. So in summary - good signing, good player, but not suited to the club.

The other hole is up front. We need an out-and-out striker. I was going to rant about we should sign someone, but I took five and changed my mind. We've got a lot of strikers queuing up to play alongside Henry - let's be realistic, he's the first/second name on the team sheet for most games. Van Persie is a great talent, Adebayor is very good although I'm only 90% there with him. Walcott looks very good but obviously needs time to mature - I almost feel that a season out on loan for him at a Premiership club such as Blackburn, or one of the newly-promoted sides (Derby?) would do him wonders. Bendtner has been superb for Birmingham. Carlos Vela has been playing in Spain for two years now - the new Messi, apparantly. He'll probably be staying there for another season, but if he's as good as the Spanish newspapers say he is, I can't wait to see him play. I'll quickly mention Aliadiare - not good enough, however much Wenger loves him.

Next - Julio Baptista. I was delighted when I heard he was coming to Arsenal for a season, but the proof is in the proverbial pudding. He hasn't produced for us. I saw him play for us against Reading at the Emirates, and it was quite clear what the problem is. He has no first touch. This is very strange to see from a Brazilian, but you pass the ball into his feet and it bounces off them to the nearest defender. Just not good enough, especially if Arsenal are going to keep playing one-touch football. It's a great shame but he needs to go. Unfortunately Wenger still seems to really like him, but if he can't score then why are we trying to keep him?

So, what should we be doing? There's a couple of players coming onto the market that we should consider signing - Ribery, Eto'o, TEVEZ. Both of them fit the holes that the team has. If wingers such as Jesus Navas, Schweinsteiger or Robben become available, we shoud get in there and sign them - even if Hleb doesn't really need to be replaced, Rosicky certainly does. This really really isn't a WENGER OUT thread like the many that have been posted by stupid Arsenal 'fans'....I just wish he'd see sense on a few issues.

Last edited by furball; 12 Apr 2007 at 14:37.
furball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 12:59   #2
`mac^
Retired insomniac

`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold`mac^ is a splendid one to behold
Re: [Football] Arsenal

a no nonsense striker who is happy to put it in the net with his arse would do arsenal wonders tbh.

Currently - Ultores
`mac^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 13:00   #3
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I kind of agree with Wenger. While we have been found wanting upfront, thats due to 2 injuries, a suspension, a player who hasn't played properly for years, and Baptista. With Walcott likely to mature and play upfront more often, the return of Bentner, Van Persie getting better and better, Henry moving to a Bergkamp role and Adebyor with the fans behind him from the start of the season I don't think we have a problem upfront.

Midfield wise we have a similar problem to Chelsea in terms of lots of good central midfield players and few wingers. Diaby (left midfield wtf) is apparently replacing Viera, Denilson and Fabregas obviously, Fran Merdia coming through etc. Song can stay at charlton as long as he wants, Gilberto I think will be a squad player next season and Ljungberg can go along with Flamini. I disagree with your views on Hleb and Rosicky though, both have brillaint work rates and always cover their wing back, personally I think Rosicky does it better. Also Clichy helps Rosicky out in the same way Eboue helps Hleb, like chelsea who have no width in midfield (until the second half when they bring on Robben) they use the wing backs to overlap. Rosicky isnt so much a dribbler as Hleb (who was pretty dire over the winter months), but he's not afraid to take a shot from outside the box and he's probably hit the bar more times than the rest of Arsenal combined. I do agree we need a great winger, like Overmars 10 years ago but I think Rosicky does a good enough job anyway.

As concerns the Reyes/Baptista, if Reyes wasn't such a homesick spoilt brat (speaking of brats, Eboue needs to be sorted out), I'd love to see him back for us, either way Baptista can go.

Defensively, I think we're pretty solid, just injuries kept us from having a consistent back 4. Toure hasnt had a great season by his standard, but he's still brilliant, Senderous had a poor season, but has to be given more chances considering last season and the world cup. Gallas should be solid and provide great help to the young ones provided he doesnt get injured, Djourou looks good, and Eboue/Hoyte and Clichy/Traore have the wing backs sorted. With Lehmann likely to play another year we're fine there, but still need a long term replacement.

So what should we be doing?

Well **** off Ribery for a start.

Eto'o I wouldn't mind but how much would he cost and can we realistically get him?

A winger? I couldn't disagree if he got someone top class.

Back to Wenger, he's shown time and time again he knows what he's doing (except for french players) and if he says he doesnt need to buy anyone I support him.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 13:00   #4
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Walcott looks very good but obviously needs time to mature - I almost feel that a season out on loan for him at a Premiership club such as Blackburn
Yes please .

Bentley has worked out great for us, maybe he is what you are missing? He plays on the right wing mostly for us, which I don't think he really did with Arsenal, he seemed to be more central when he got a game. He provides us with excellent width, can take on any full back and is an excellent crosser or the ball. He seems to provide the width and willingness to cross a ball that Arsenal lack. Rather than trying to pass the ball in to the back of the net sometimes you need to get to the by line and whip the ball in for someone to knock in.

This moves me on to what I see as Arsenals main problem. You can't/won't play ugly football. I love watching Arsenal, it truely is a joy to behold the way you pass and move with one touch football but sometimes you have to win ugly. Both Man U and Chelsea are willing to lump the ball forward if it gets to the last 10 minutes and they are drawing or behind whereas Arsenal carry on trying to thread the eye of a needle and fail to break down the likes of Bolton. As well as width what you need it a predatory striker, which Henry is not. Somebody who is willing to do the dirty work and pop up in the 6 yard box every other game and get you a scrappy goal. Solskjaer, Owen hell even Matty Derbyshire. That in my eyes is what prevents Arsenal from challenging for the Premiership at the moment.

I've just thought of one other thing, Veira. In his last season he was poor but like Gerrard he had the ability to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and drag Arsenal back in to a winning position. As great as Fabregas is he can't do that. He doesn't have the physical prowess of Veira and can be easily overpowered when he has Savage or Nolan snapping at his heels for 90 minutes.

Seems several people have beaten me to the point while I was typing as slow as a blind spastic.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 13:09   #5
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Bentley has worked out great for us, maybe he is what you are missing? He plays on the right wing mostly for us, which I don't think he really did with Arsenal, he seemed to be more central when he got a game. He provides us with excellent width, can take on any full back and is an excellent crosser or the ball. He seems to provide the width and willingness to cross a ball that Arsenal lack. Rather than trying to pass the ball in to the back of the net sometimes you need to get to the by line and whip the ball in for someone to knock in.
He did impress me when he played against us, with McCarthy out he was your biggest threat, just bad timing when we had Pires/Ljungberg/Overmars etc meant he couldn't get in the first team and fair enough to him he left.

Quote:
This moves me on to what I see as Arsenals main problem. You can't/won't play ugly football. I love watching Arsenal, it truely is a joy to behold the way you pass and move with one touch football but sometimes you have to win ugly. Both Man U and Chelsea are willing to lump the ball forward if it gets to the last 10 minutes and they are drawing or behind whereas Arsenal carry on trying to thread the eye of a needle and fail to break down the likes of Bolton. As well as width what you need it a predatory striker, which Henry is not. Somebody who is willing to do the dirty work and pop up in the 6 yard box every other game and get you a scrappy goal. Solskjaer, Owen hell even Matty Derbyshire. That in my eyes is what prevents Arsenal from challenging for the Premiership at the moment.
I know furball disagrees, but for £38 I'd rather they played enjoyable football for 90 minutes than shit football with a 1-0 win which I'd be happy about for around 5 minutes, followed by going to the pub and talking about how lucky we were and how shit some of our players were.

Quote:
I've just thought of one other thing, Veira. In his last season he was poor but like Gerrard he had the ability to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and drag Arsenal back in to a winning position. As great as Fabregas is he can't do that. He doesn't have the physical prowess of Veira and can be easily overpowered when he has Savage or Nolan snapping at his heels for 90 minutes.
You'd be surpised about Fabregas, remember our second goal against Man U? or our 6th against you lot when savage got nutmeged then kicked out and missed?
Likewise Denilson, they maybe small and look weak but they'll go for it.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 13:16   #6
-Blue Moon-
Hello Tietäjä

-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future

i'm an arsenal (and derby) supporter, so i read this thread through. i think you make a lot of good points and i'd like to add a couple:
- developing youth is a great idea, but i am a little ashamed that we only have 2 brits vying for a first team place (walcott and hoyte). if he's going to develop talent, then why can't he focus in our own backyard (UK) as opposed to elsewhere? We're the 4th best club in England, and yet we have no players in the England XI - that's horrible in my opinion.
- henry needs a partner and i don't feel that anyone is suited to the way he plays. van persie is good, adebayor isnt that great (opinion) and i cant see alliadiere or walcott (i see him more as a winger) making the leap. baptista on the other hand - if he got a decent first touch like you said, he'd be a fantastic striker - with a fair amount of pace offset by his immense size and strength (he could be a tank).
- i've been watching lupoli at derby this year, he's in a similar mold to henry, but i dont think they'd work well together - in fact i heard derby's advances to add him permamnently were refused by arturo, who wants to move (and is??) to italy.
- lehmann in my opinion, is crap. i've disliked him for a long time, i don't actually feel that we have a quality keeper in him - and at the age of 37 (?) i dont think he has many seasons left in him - anticipate a problem here for the future.
- arsene not spending his budget infuriates me, we need players and i find him to be too arrogant and headstrong to admit that he should buy some talent in to help our youth develop and give us a little more depth.
- eboue - everyone raves about him, but in my opinion, as a defender, he's lacking. the powerhouse defence we've had of the past bould/adams/keown/dixon/winterburn is long gone. that makes me sad and a little frustrated.
- ljungberg has lost it, i agree - we're in need of a good winger. someone who can whip the ball into the box. i cant see any player in the youth who's capable of this. most of the youth team seem to favour the centre of the field, which will (in the future) leave us lacking.

i had other points but i cant remember them at the moment. i'll re-read and post later
-tux

oh yeah most infuriating thing with arsenal this year ...
SURE we play the most beautiful football in the league BUT FOR ****S SAKE CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TAKE A SHOT AND STOP TRYING TO WALK THE BALL IN????

R1-2 [VanX] - R3 [Legion] - R4 [Legion/Shogun/FORT] - R5-6 [WP/Shogun/FORT] - R7-8 [VsN] - R9-R9.5 [Seraphim/VsN]- R10-12 [WP] R13 [1up/eXilition] R14 [Orbit/scanner] R15 [eXilition] R16 [Orbit/scanner] R17 [Subh/scanner] R18 [eXilition] R19 [F-Crew/scanner] R20 [Orbit/Destiny/scanner] R21-22 [Orbit/scanner] R23-25 [In-gal-def-ho]
-Blue Moon- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 13:16   #7
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If you want to play like Arsenal do and not get completely frustrated at how you managed not to win again, you need someone in midfield who is going to be box to box, mobile and get stuck in and break up play pretty much everywhere.

On top of this you haven't replaced Pires in any shape or form. The left sided cluster**** of Cole, Pires and Henry used to be deadly and Rosicky ain't no Pires.

Then there's the issue of who you play with Henry. You either need someone who is going to just stick it in the net and finish your moves instead of playing another pass. Maybe you could get a player that can head the ball, who knows.

Ljungberg has gone for some reason, Hleb is still pretty poor so wide right is another position of concern.

Until these problems are fixed, Everton and Bolton and the like are gonna keep doing a job on you by keeping it tight, flooding midfield and using the likes of Lee Carsley and Ivan Campo to kick seven sacks of shit out of Fabregas. Wenger can sit there glumly faced after every bad result against them, but ultimately these defeats are down to his stubbornness more than anything.

Lauren, very good right back by the way, thanks a bunch.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 13:44   #8
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Lauren has lost about 3 stone since he moved to portsmouth and doesnt look half the defender to me.

The number one problem arsenal have is overrating their players, its as simple as that.

Yeah, hleb works hard, hes a battler, he leaves it all on the field, etc etc etc etc. Thats not the #1 characteristic you want in a winger - its a bonus, but only on the same level as a center half having a powerful shot. He doesnt provide width or constitute a real penetrative attacking threat. Eboue does provide that width with his pace, but every time ive watched him ive not been convinced he can actually defend.

I could go on and on and categorise all arsenal players faults and weaknesses but it wouldnt really get us anywhere.

In summary;

You probably should have sold Henry at the start of the season but who would have known that he would decline so noticeably just in one year. Cutting your losses might still be a way to go about things, though its not clear who could possibly be brought in to play the henry role. Adebayor i thought was absolutely mince when he first came but has turned into a decent powerhouse striker; if you could actually use his aerial attributes more often and play more than one type of football, not only would that be beneficial in itself but it would also help your running game too with the added unpredictability the target man striker would add. Van persie was playing brilliant before he got crocked and his injury was merely unfortunate.

I have absolutely no idea why any of you think Theo walcott is a potential world beating striker and not just an athlete. Very strangely (especially for an arsenal player, being as they are mostly cocky arrogant shits) he is too timid and not sure of himself at all and i havent been impressed by his end product in the slightest. Maybe its just because its one of the few fees youve paid that you're desperate for him to succeed?

The question for me is whether people are making too much of arsenal's youth system. Its all very well saying 'we have denilson, diaby, lupoli' etc, who are clearly decent/good players NOW - whats to say theyll ever get better than 'good' players? 'good' players dont win you titles, they are squad players and cover.

Arsenal will always be there or there abouts because of their youth system and because of Wenger, but i have my doubts whether they can actually step up to the next level while they lack versatility, lack width, lack goals from midfield, and are very much a confidence team.

Personally i found their collapse this season pretty hilarious after having to put up with all that 'o arsenal's second team is better than most teams first team' crap.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 13:52   #9
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon_Fodder
I know furball disagrees, but for £38 I'd rather they played enjoyable football for 90 minutes than shit football with a 1-0 win which I'd be happy about for around 5 minutes, followed by going to the pub and talking about how lucky we were and how shit some of our players were.
I'm not saying you need to play 90 minutes worth of Bolton style football but in some games Wenger needs to look at things and go "Bonjour mes ami, c'est le 85 minute et le score n'est pas bon! Le premiere route de football, maintenant!"
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 14:04   #10
Dark_Mage
I wish I was a Commander

Dark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud of

As a United fan I would be absolutely delighted if Arsenal didn't buy anyone this summer. You seem to be going backwards at the moment to be honest.

Also I agree with Deffeh about Hleb, he seems a weak link in the Arsenal team. He does work hard but can't really do anything and he gives the ball away an awful lot. I think Rosicky is the better player by far.
Dark_Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 14:05   #11
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Back in the good days, we had Viera and Petit, or Viera and Gilberto. There was Bergie, there was Pires, there was a fresher Ljungberg. Sometimes I watch the 03/04 season review, and oh what a difference to todays team

The new Viera is obviously Diaby, and from a distance it seems hard not to see the physcial similiarities. But Pires havent been replaced, and I dont see his replacement among the clubs youth either.

In: A defender (an adult please). Arsenal have been linked with Matteo Ferrari.
In: A wide player, like Ribery.
In: A striker, I would see Bendtner beeing 4th option behind Persie, Henry, Ade. Or perhaps Bendtner beeing loaned out to a premiership side, and someone like Klose coming in, that would have been fantastic.

Out: Baptista, Aliadiere, Hleb (to lightweight, looses to ball to often), Ljungberg, Flamini (sadly, as he is fantastic team player with his effort and seems to be leaving).

However, the most important thing is to get the defence organised properly (hello Toure, you gotta learn to man mark!!!), and be alot more cynical and develop a gameplan B.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 14:08   #12
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Rosicky is just as unspectacular as Hleb to be honest.

I'd take Flamini for PFC any day of the week, he seems to be a decent all action midfielder who will do a shift anywhere if you ask him.

Just to clear one thing up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
Lauren has lost about 3 stone since he moved to portsmouth and doesnt look half the defender to me.
He's played in midfield and looked average, we stuck him at right back against Fulham and United and he's been playing very well there.

Last edited by lokken; 12 Apr 2007 at 14:13.
lokken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 14:16   #13
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Might have to do that he is a right back, and not a midfielder, Lok.
The very idea of having Lauren in the midfield is shit.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 14:17   #14
Cannon_Fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Blue Moon-
i'm an arsenal (and derby) supporter, so i read this thread through. i think you make a lot of good points and i'd like to add a couple:
- developing youth is a great idea, but i am a little ashamed that we only have 2 brits vying for a first team place (walcott and hoyte). if he's going to develop talent, then why can't he focus in our own backyard (UK) as opposed to elsewhere? We're the 4th best club in England, and yet we have no players in the England XI - that's horrible in my opinion.
I'm not going to respond to this because it's stupid.

Quote:
- henry needs a partner and i don't feel that anyone is suited to the way he plays. van persie is good, adebayor isnt that great (opinion) and i cant see alliadiere or walcott (i see him more as a winger) making the leap. baptista on the other hand - if he got a decent first touch like you said, he'd be a fantastic striker - with a fair amount of pace offset by his immense size and strength (he could be a tank).
Van Persie will be our main striker in the years to come with Henry playing behind him and occasionally adebayor alongside. Baptista needs more than a decent first touch, and for all his size he gets bullied in games. Walcott is similiar to Henry, started as a winger, will most likely be a foward.

Quote:
- i've been watching lupoli at derby this year, he's in a similar mold to henry, but i dont think they'd work well together - in fact i heard derby's advances to add him permamnently were refused by arturo, who wants to move (and is??) to italy.
Lupoli isn't good enough, and he is off to italy.

Quote:
- lehmann in my opinion, is crap. i've disliked him for a long time, i don't actually feel that we have a quality keeper in him
Then you must have only watched the MOTD highlights where they show him getting stupid yellows. At the start of his Arsenal career he wasn't too good, last couple of seasons he has been rock solid, and hilarious to watch.

Quote:
and at the age of 37 (?) i dont think he has many seasons left in him - anticipate a problem here for the future.
No shit?

Quote:
- arsene not spending his budget infuriates me, we need players and i find him to be too arrogant and headstrong to admit that he should buy some talent in to help our youth develop and give us a little more depth.
Yes, spend, spend, spend has solved everything for everyone.

Quote:
- eboue - everyone raves about him, but in my opinion, as a defender, he's lacking. the powerhouse defence we've had of the past bould/adams/keown/dixon/winterburn is long gone. that makes me sad and a little frustrated.
True, he needs to sort out his mentality and improve defensively, but he is fast, willing to take people on, and shown he can get good crosses in.

Quote:
- ljungberg has lost it, i agree - we're in need of a good winger. someone who can whip the ball into the box. i cant see any player in the youth who's capable of this. most of the youth team seem to favour the centre of the field, which will (in the future) leave us lacking.
Most clubs have found a lack of wingers a major problem with their side.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 14:21   #15
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Just to say - great response, a lot of you are spot on. Lokken, you may be right about us over-rating our players - I just don't know. You're probably right with Hleb, even if I have a major soft spot for him (just as you do with Benjani).

Deffeh's points on Walcott - fair, but he obviously needs time at a Premiership team who are willing to give him lots of starts, I'd rather not see him get the shit kicked out of him in the Championship. I remember when we sent Bendtner and Lupoli off to Birmingham and Derby respectively at the start of this season - one made the grade, one didn't. You just can't prove anything in Reserve/Under 18 games.

Quote:
Perhaps England isn't producing the right talent

Certainly we don't produce a huge number of technical players. Also, clubs hold teams like Arsenal to ransom for English players - it's just not economical to buy them. It's a shame, but look at what Man U spent on Ferdinand/Rooney/Carrick - over £70m. We just can't do that.

Quote:
Adebayor's only 21, I like him. He's not scared of running at defenders, really causes problems for defences and creates space for other players. Henry obviously needs a partner, that goes without saying. Walcott isn't a winger - he's a lot like Henry in that because he's very quick, managers just want to put him on the wing and let him go, but he's suited to going up front. Let's face it, he's learning from the best - I can see him becoming the right-sided version of Henry.

Quote:
Yeah, he's going home to Italy, done deal.

Quote:
- lehmann in my opinion, is crap. i've disliked him for a long time, i don't actually feel that we have a quality keeper in him - and at the age of 37 (?) i dont think he has many seasons left in him - anticipate a problem here for the future.
Like ****. Lehmann may be a **** but he's our **** and he's an awesome keeper. He's displaced Oliver Kahn as German national keeper - is that not a good enough sign for you? We wouldn't have had such a good run in the CL last year if it wasn't for him. Yes, he's getting old, but there's good young keepers around that we're eyeing up - Akinfeev, Gordon, etc.

Quote:
I think I said this all earlier, but what manager isn't arrogant and headstrong?

Quote:
Yes, those days are gone. But we have rampaging full-backs now, which brings a lot to the table as well. Eboue is improving as a defender - not as good as Clichy yet (he's superb going forward and defending) but he has time to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Mage
Also I agree with Deffeh about Hleb, he seems a weak link in the Arsenal team. He does work hard but can't really do anything and he gives the ball away an awful lot. I think Rosicky is the better player by far.
I think you're right here. Hleb does give the ball away a lot. Perhaps I would let him go and get good money for him. But Rosicky is no better on the left as lokken said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
On top of this you haven't replaced Pires in any shape or form. The left sided cluster**** of Cole, Pires and Henry used to be deadly and Rosicky ain't no Pires.
Exactly. We have Clichy who's the new Cole. We still have Henry. So we need the Pires. Robben is my dream to be honest, although Ribery looks more likely. Here's hoping.

Quote:
I'd take Flamini for PFC any day of the week, he seems to be a decent all action midfielder who will do a shift anywhere if you ask him
Absolutely - and he'll dick on us as soon as he plays against us. But he's just not high up enough in the pecking order anymore.

Quote:
You probably should have sold Henry at the start of the season but who would have known that he would decline so noticeably just in one year. Cutting your losses might still be a way to go about things, though its not clear who could possibly be brought in to play the henry role. Adebayor i thought was absolutely mince when he first came but has turned into a decent powerhouse striker; if you could actually use his aerial attributes more often and play more than one type of football, not only would that be beneficial in itself but it would also help your running game too with the added unpredictability the target man striker would add. Van persie was playing brilliant before he got crocked and his injury was merely unfortunate.
Really spot on, kudos to you mate. I'm not convinced Henry has declined that much though - the guy's knackered and played through a sciatic nerve problem for 2 months before mentioning it to anyone. If he's refreshed for the 2007/8 season then he may get back to his best.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 14:25   #16
Cannon_Fodder

Quote:
its a bonus, but only on the same level as a center half having a powerful shot.
Incidently Toure has a pretty powerful shot.

Quote:
I have absolutely no idea why any of you think Theo walcott is a potential world beating striker and not just an athlete. Very strangely (especially for an arsenal player, being as they are mostly cocky arrogant shits) he is too timid and not sure of himself at all and i havent been impressed by his end product in the slightest. Maybe its just because its one of the few fees youve paid that you're desperate for him to succeed?
It's pretty unfair to expect every Arsenal teenager to hit the ground running in the premiership, true he hasn't been brilliant this season, but what would Owen have been like if he was put on the wing for a season?

Quote:
The question for me is whether people are making too much of arsenal's youth system. Its all very well saying 'we have denilson, diaby, lupoli' etc, who are clearly decent/good players NOW - whats to say theyll ever get better than 'good' players? 'good' players dont win you titles, they are squad players and cover.
Man U have a lot of 'good' players and a few great ones and they seem to be doing alright.

Quote:
Personally i found their collapse this season pretty hilarious after having to put up with all that 'o arsenal's second team is better than most teams first team' crap.
Our first team collapsed, our second team nearly (should) have won the carling cup.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 14:27   #17
Cannon_Fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I'm not saying you need to play 90 minutes worth of Bolton style football but in some games Wenger needs to look at things and go "Bonjour mes ami, c'est le 85 minute et le score n'est pas bon! Le premiere route de football, maintenant!"
Incidently we've been criticised for route one stuff in the last few minutes of games we were losing/drawing (see Man U and plenty of others I've forgotten).

Guess you can't win either way.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 14:27   #18
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

to an extent your problem is also our strength, you have a very young team, if the arsenal supporters keep the faith for probably another season, i expect to see possibly the best arsenal team since the beginning of the premiership.

if they win nothing next season and sack wenger (much as i hate the man) then they are stupid though
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 14:35   #19
Cannon_Fodder

I don't see wenger being sacked for at least 5 years, and even then it's more likely he'd leave on his own.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 14:38   #20
furball

I forgot a certain Carlos Tevez. Please please please please please please please please please please. Pleeeeeeeease.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 14:38   #21
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

even if they have another season like this one?

as i said, much as i dislike him its just going to take a little time for his plans to bear fruit, but not everyone would give him that time
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 14:43   #22
furball

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0

as i said, much as i dislike him its just going to take a little time for his plans to bear fruit, but not everyone would give him that time
Arsenal have a pretty conservative board, not really prone to sacking managers for the hell of it. He's at the club for life, and then a director once he retires.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 14:45   #23
Cannon_Fodder

Quote:

Every big club has idiotic, vocal fans but as furball said the board won't sack him.
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 16:52   #24
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I agree with a lot of what people posted.

I wish I can add to it but everyone beat me to it.

I still see Wenger signing someone "big" this summer. It may be Ribery, it may be Tevez, it may be someone whose name has just slipped out of my mind.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 17:20   #25
Cannon_Fodder

It wont be tevez and I pray to god it won't be Ribery
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 17:42   #26
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

If you think thats bad, try living the life of a Luton Town fan for a season
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2007, 19:37   #27
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge
If you think thats bad, try living the life of a Luton Town fan for a season
I am a big fan of Mike Newell

WOOF!
Unread 13 Apr 2007, 02:05   #28
Gimmick
Banned

Gimmick is an unknown quantity at this point

Must be shit to be an arsenal fan, 4th place, league cup final, great team, great stadium.

Christ hard times down at highbury.
Unread 13 Apr 2007, 02:12   #29
furball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmick
Must be shit to be an arsenal fan, 4th place, league cup final, great team, great stadium.

You can **** right off.

Every club has its own issues and questions to ask of its management. These are mine. If you don't have opinions then questions have to be asked of your dedication to the club - I'd say the ability to write a 1000 word rant and still be able to think of more to say might just be an indication of how much I care.

If you don't care, don't post.
Unread 13 Apr 2007, 02:48   #30
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

no need to take him out the game with a care bear stare

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Apr 2007, 10:13   #31
furball

Quote:
no need to take him out the game with a care bear stare
When he can't even get the stadium right
Unread 13 Apr 2007, 10:52   #32
Cannon_Fodder

Quote:

But deep down we're mad because we haven't won the European cup in the last 25 years. Unlike some other team I know.
Unread 13 Apr 2007, 11:17   #33
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:
You can **** right off.

Every club has its own issues and questions to ask of its management. These are mine. If you don't have opinions then questions have to be asked of your dedication to the club - I'd say the ability to write a 1000 word rant and still be able to think of more to say might just be an indication of how much I care.

If you don't care, don't post.
I think his point is that he could probably write a 2000 word essay on all his clubs problems.

I could probably write more but no one really cares about PFC, because regardless of our awesome league position, we are shit.

Dunno why he is going on about the stadium, Villa Park is probably way better than the Emirates as a football ground.
Unread 13 Apr 2007, 13:29   #34
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Dunno why he is going on about the stadium, Villa Park is probably way better than the Emirates as a football ground.

Villa Park DOES have statistically less Gooners than the Emirates ...
Unread 13 Apr 2007, 17:57   #35
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

arsenal is a boring club with the dullest crowd one could imagine and a team full of whining women, coached by a French tit. i'm glad it's not my club.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2007, 14:03   #36
Gimmick
Banned

Gimmick is an unknown quantity at this point

The stadium comment was just that, I thought Arsenal fans called there corporate branded souless stadium Highbury? But maybe instead they want to call it the Emirates, or Asburton Grove.

I was just trying to be polite.

I could write you a whole dissertation on what is wrong with Villa and how during the post victorian years the decline began and why we should have stopped it. I could write about how great a Chairman Doug Ellis actually was, conversely I can write a poem and a novel about why he was the worst thing that ever happened to Villa. I could talk about the Randy Lerner years and wether they have a negative or positive impact on the Villa. Or alternatively I could just go to the games and make my discontent heard from the stands.

My point still stands, Arsenal aren't actually as bad as there fans make it. Heck that is the problem with the top 4 teams. They get so involved in this media hype surrounding them that they think they are better than they probably are. I remember a few months back when Liverpool lost to Arsenal twice in the space of a week. Some members of this forum were calling for Rafas head, why?

Football isn't instant. Unless you are Chelsea. It is an organic process. You will have good harvests and bad harvests, all you can do year on year is try and improve on that.

Arsenal were lucky when they were winning things. I mean they were being challenged by Utd every year, the closest rivals were a poor Chelsea team, an even poorer Liverpool team and lol sometimes Newcastle and Villa. Now if you look at todays football climate, ie the money for what Arsenal are achieving for what they spend, they are in profit. They got unlucky in Europe, the FA cup and the league cup. I think it is very admirable what Wenger has done and I would be very excited if I was an Arsenal fan.

As long as you secure Champions League Qualification then next year will be exciting. Interestingly Arsene Wenger said this today:

"In England, you have the potential of 10 massive clubs and they will not always be asleep.

"To smash in and compete in the top four, you will now have Aston Villa, Newcastle, Tottenham. They are all big clubs with the same potential as Arsenal."

Now don't get me wrong, it must hurt not winning a trophy. Now you feel a bit average. A bit like the rest of the 90 league clubs in the country. Shit isn't it. Not winning anything. But that is football.

I believe Wenger is a genius. I believe the talent he has available is magic. If he can cultivate that into a cup winning team of some sorts next season, ie a mix of youth and experience, pace, width and attacking flair then Arsenal can become the Arsenal of old. Interestingly when Arsenal played Villa at Villa Park, you were playing the new breed of youth, or so it seemed. You won 1-0, but that was a lucky goal and quite frankly you were boring, slow and looked nervous.

I guess if that was the future of Arsenal, I would be just as worried as you are.
Unread 14 Apr 2007, 14:33   #37
lokken
BlueTuba

What a ****ing fantastic post that was.
Unread 15 Apr 2007, 23:55   #38
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Interestingly when Arsenal played Villa at Villa Park, you were playing the new breed of youth, or so it seemed. You won 1-0, but that was a lucky goal and quite frankly you were boring, slow and looked nervous.
I'll have you know that I was at the stadium with pig on that night and Arsenal played better in the 1st half than what you wrote.

Also, Villa fans were quiet in the 1st half.

It's only in the second half that Villa made Arsenal another average mid-table team.
Unread 18 Apr 2007, 18:47   #39
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Well, well, well...
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Apr 2007, 18:51   #40
furball

Seen it. Basically David Dein wants to sell out to American billionaire Stan Kroenke, and the rest of the board have agreed that he can get ****ed. Hence Dein has departed. It's not clear whether or not he'll be selling his shares, and if so, who to. But it seems fairly obvious to me that Kroenke will have a tough job taking over.
Unread 23 Apr 2007, 01:34   #41
Blastoderm
________

Some news whether Wenger will sign anyone or not during the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenger on Arsenal.com
On the will in the side...
"They are remarkable players with remarkable spirit and quality. I'm sure that will come out next year in the season. We will not change the team, it will remain what it is at the moment and we get injured players back. We can add one player maybe. We want to keep the core of the team and the spirit of the team. The needed quality is there. Sometimes it is intelligent not to try too much to improve. But you never refuse an outstanding talent if you get one."
Unread 23 Apr 2007, 02:07   #42
roadrunner_0
cynic

Quote:
Seen it. Basically David Dein wants to sell out to American billionaire Stan Kroenke, and the rest of the board have agreed that he can get ****ed. Hence Dein has departed. It's not clear whether or not he'll be selling his shares, and if so, who to. But it seems fairly obvious to me that Kroenke will have a tough job taking over.

so, this would be the opposite view to all of the pundits, who all say (and lets face it, how often do you get pundits agreeing) that dein 'lives and breathes arsenal'
Unread 23 Apr 2007, 02:26   #43
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Why would it? Different people can often want different things for the things they love. Perhaps he simply thought Arsenal could use the money or that american lead consortiums are the future. Regardless of where he stands on this issue I think it is clear to anyone who follows Arsenal that David Dein has given a huge part of his life to the club and does (still) 'live and breathe Arsenal.'

I personally am very sorry to see him go.
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2007, 08:38   #44
furball

Quote:
so, this would be the opposite view to all of the pundits, who all say (and lets face it, how often do you get pundits agreeing) that dein 'lives and breathes arsenal'

No. The general consensus is that Dein wanted Hill-Wood's job - to run Arsenal and become Chairman/CEO of the club at the same time. Many observers agree with my expectation that Dein will ride back into town at the head of Kroenke's bid to take over the club.

Dein may live and breathe Arsenal, but he's still in it for himself.
Unread 23 Apr 2007, 17:42   #45
Blastoderm
________

After all, it was Dein who wanted Arsenal to move to Wembley.

Who'd we have to challenge in a derby if it happened then? Spurs would be too far away.
Unread 23 Apr 2007, 19:03   #46
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Arsenal needs a new striker.

Or well, guess it depends on how Henry\Van Persie does next season.
Unread 23 Apr 2007, 19:25   #47
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Henry, Van Persie, Adebayor, Bendtner. I would say thats enough.

The problem is rather the midfield, there isnt any really good wide players there. Ljungberg is always injured, Hleb looses the ball far to much, Rosicky isnt really a wide player.

Regarding Dein & Kronke, they can f*** off and die.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
Unread 23 Apr 2007, 22:24   #48
Dark_Mage
I wish I was a Commander

Dark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud ofDark_Mage has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Henry, Van Persie, Adebayor, Bendtner. I would say thats enough.
You also have Walcott! Or do you think Wenger will insist on playing him on the wing next season as well?
Dark_Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2007, 22:28   #49
furball

Hopefully he'll play up front - his playing style seems like a right-sided Henry to me. But what I really want is for him to go out on loan for a season - to one of the newly promoted sides or to a Premiership side that won't be fighting relegation. As long as he starts every game I'll be happy.
Unread 23 Apr 2007, 23:13   #50
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Walcott havent proved anything yet, and he' still very young. I agree with furball, he should be loaned out for a period. But I dont agree that he should play up front, I think a wing role could suit him very well.

Anyways, he can't exactly replace a in-form Ljungberg or Pires.