User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 May 2007, 16:04   #1
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold
Zik ships dont die after capping

I found zik more enjoyable to play whilst this was in effect though it was my first round back after 4 years so i may be somewhat out of the loop when it comes to pros and cons. just wondered what everyone else thought of this and whether it should be brought back or not?
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2007, 23:23   #2
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of
Re: Zik ships dont die after capping

I can't think why anyone would disagree with you if they've played ziks when stealing ships didn't die. The problem from a balance perspective is that ziks then end up with an enormous value advantage that makes it very difficult for any other race to compete with them over the full length of a round.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2007, 23:31   #3
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

I've played with zik ships stealing and living, zik ships stealing and dying and zik ships subverting *shudders*

Zik ships dying when stealing == not fun.
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2007, 23:38   #4
Spritfire

Spritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really nice

Understand that smudge, think it makes it to hard for the zik'ers to farm like they used to? Or maybe that was the point...
Unread 16 May 2007, 23:53   #5
GrandAdm Thrawn

GrandAdm Thrawn is a jewel in the roughGrandAdm Thrawn is a jewel in the roughGrandAdm Thrawn is a jewel in the roughGrandAdm Thrawn is a jewel in the rough

the dying had to be introduced because too much abuse of zik stealing ability was in place.
Unread 17 May 2007, 07:31   #6
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

It was introduced cause they wanted to fubar another race.

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2007, 07:43   #7
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allfather
It was introduced cause they wanted to fubar another race.
gee, you should get a price for your fantastic logic. actually the zik got changed just to piss you off, and we're all laughing about it behind your back.
Unread 17 May 2007, 08:06   #8
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Yes, i noticed, meanies

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 May 2007, 11:57   #9
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

perhaps they could implement it with the future population growth idea
With a small population zik ships could die, but on advancement and when population is over a certain amount or ratio etc means there are extra pilots of the ships so they can bring both capping and capped ships back
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 2007, 14:14   #10
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute

I have played zik last 2 rounds, and i think they are still great. The point of being zik is to be able to steal other fleets, not to farm your way to the top spots. The only stupid side effect is that sometimes you lose your main attack / def shippies if the attacker pulls a lemming or if your lazy target doesn't run.
Unread 18 May 2007, 15:38   #11
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

I think many would argue for an increase in the attack power of zik ships to create a better steal ratio, but the current system is far better than the previous lossless one.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 May 2007, 17:57   #12
Deathrow

Deathrow is on a distinguished road

Ive come back to planetarion after a few rounds of inactivity and as always took zik

its alot of fun but with the current ratio its hard to keep a roiding fleet up to size as you keep hitting (and stealing) oversleeping peoples fleets.
Deathrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2007, 01:17   #13
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

round winners race wise since stealing was re-introduced:
r13 zik
r14 cat
r15 cat
r16 ter
r17 cat
r18 cat
r19 ter
r20 etd

ah yes... definitely zik that needed to get their fun removed !

Last edited by jerome; 19 May 2007 at 01:33.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 2007, 06:50   #14
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome
round winners race wise since stealing was re-introduced:
Are the round winners more due to a function of their race or of their alliance though? i would imagine that at the very top of the game, what race you are isnt so important* as what alliance you are in, and whether that alliance is doing well // can cover your incs (whatever they may be), and/or whether you get fleetcaught etc.

*given that you dont pick the race that is clearly the "worst" in that round, eg R13 Cath, this round Terran.

Perhaps a more useful yardstick is the proportion of each race in the top 100 and the proportion of that race as a universal percentage? The problem with that method though is that "good" players tend to pick Cath and/or Zik more than the general universe. But still, i would imagine that there is a higher proportion of ziks in the top 100 of each round that the other races.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote