User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 31 Mar 2003, 05:09   #1
Dark Matter

servers

big ones

i want to know the average prices and stats for servers that could run an isp. also i want to know if there are anyother ways to connect to the internet outside of dial-up adsl, or cabel.

the server has to be very very very fast and be able to store more than 400 GBs
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 19:22   #2
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
Leased lines - faster than the methods you mentioned, but v. expensive.
Unread 31 Mar 2003, 23:02   #3
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
If you've got somewhere to house the servers yourself, consider a leased line of some from available in various bandwidths and prices.

If you've not, consider colocation somewhere London way, prices of connection dependent on bandwidth required as well as the number of servers. Only downside is not having easy physical access to your machine.

Any further information, like a general purpose the whole shebang's for?
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 07:32   #4
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: servers

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark Matter
big ones

i want to know the average prices and stats for servers that could run an isp. also i want to know if there are anyother ways to connect to the internet outside of dial-up adsl, or cabel.

the server has to be very very very fast and be able to store more than 400 GBs
If you need to find out the answers to this, I dont think you should be attempting it

Vaio
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 10:25   #5
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Re: Re: servers

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaio
If you need to find out the answers to this, I dont think you should be attempting it
Exactly. Or he should approach one of the big companies to take care of this, or even a regular internet consultancy can advise. Hell, my company will do it for you!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 10:28   #6
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
If you've got somewhere to house the servers yourself, consider a leased line of some from available in various bandwidths and prices.

If you've not, consider colocation somewhere London way, prices of connection dependent on bandwidth required as well as the number of servers. Only downside is not having easy physical access to your machine.

Any further information, like a general purpose the whole shebang's for?
this is for hosting a 3D totally to scale map of the world for a game my mates and i are starting to write.

and also so we can store movies and mp3's on it download them and upload them to there. hundreds of movies and thousands of songs

and i dont care about prices, i just wanna know averages
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 10:53   #7
Mong
Forever Delayed

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark Matter
this is for hosting a 3D totally to scale map of the world for a game my mates and i are starting to write.

and also so we can store movies and mp3's on it download them and upload them to there. hundreds of movies and thousands of songs

and i dont care about prices, i just wanna know averages
Erm. No reputable company will host anything illegal, btw.

Anyway, what OS do you want? Where do you want your server? How much transfer per month? Any specific TOS? SLA? Redundancy? Backup? Support? Security?

If you're serious about this, I wouldn't rely on an online forum of (mainly) hobbyists. I'd contact my nearest Large ISP MegaCorp. Our largest site transfers 9GB per month, so I'm out of my depth here!

[edit] I forgot to mention that it'll be hard to find prices for this kind of thing, as it's so big that your hosting will no doubt be a bespoke solution [/edit]

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"

Last edited by Mong; 1 Apr 2003 at 10:59.
Unread 1 Apr 2003, 15:24   #8
tiggerthump

One Web/Database Server £3000 approx

No idea about linux but on windows platform...

Windows 2000 Server £700
SQL Server Proc Lic £3600
Mail Server £800 approx

Colocation @ Redbus Interhouse (london) 256 kb/s burstable (10Mb/s)
£3000 per annum

A nice approx total of....
£ 11100

I know this because I do it for a job and as you can see this is hardly everything you need. This isn't for the unknowledgeable or the poor.....lol
Unread 2 Apr 2003, 22:07   #9
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
Re: servers

For a single server (Dual Xeon, multiple raid, 8GB ram) anda T1 or possibly T3 line you'd be looking at 30,000 pounds and that's just to start.

There'll be a lot of equipment you need and the lease line alone (if fast) can set you back around 5000 pounds a month.

The server wont just need to be able to store 400GB, it'll need to be able to store it safely. You'd probably need a server with 1200GB of storage but raided.
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 00:17   #10
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
You can do better than that
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 10:28   #11
Mong
Forever Delayed

Quote:
Originally posted by tiggerthump
No idea about linux but on windows platform...

Windows 2000 Server £700
SQL Server Proc Lic £3600
Mail Server £800 approx

FreeBSD or Debian - FREE
MySQL or Postgres - FREE
Mail Server - FREE

I think the £3000 for a 1200GB RAID-equipped server is a little optimistic!!! They're gonna need more than 400GB space, remember. Okay, so 800GB will prolly suffice. But still, that's gonna be a lot more than £3000. Or is that just for the server w/out RAID? That makes more sense ofc. I have no idea about prices for a RAID of that size, unless you intend to build it out of standard consumer IDE drives, which would cost around £1000 I'd imagine (for the drives)

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 3 Apr 2003, 10:40   #12
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
you have to go with scsi here really

if for no other reason than speed..

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 12:48   #13
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
Hes gone very quiet

If you do end up hosting films and music your transfer rate will be enourmous each month. MORE MONEY BEING SPENT.
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 14:23   #14
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Kumnaa
Hes gone very quiet
Probably due to being shai, and shai being banned.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 14:27   #15
cookiemay
Cooki-Monster

cookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the roughcookiemay is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Probably due to being shai, and shai being banned.

why

BOOM BOOM

:e_chick: (how about a basil brush smiley)