User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 9 Feb 2003, 18:08   #1
Y2G

Compaq

Any idea where you can buy new Compaqs on the internet (UK only)? You cant get them from their website and I can't seem to find anything elsewhere.
Unread 9 Feb 2003, 18:17   #2
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Build your own, it's cheaper, you know what part's you are getting, and it's all round more worthwhile and satisfying when you build one yourself (even better if they work as intended first time!).
Unread 9 Feb 2003, 18:18   #3
nickhall
Naked & Profane

nickhall is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.dabs.com/compaq/compaq.asp

there^^^^
nickhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Feb 2003, 18:19   #4
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Belgarath The Sorcerer
Build your own, it's cheaper, you know what part's you are getting, and it's all round more worthwhile and satisfying when you build one yourself (even better if they work as intended first time!).
I used to say that, but some people have more confidence in a brand, especially a brand that's made it's name in the business end of the market.

Buy Compaq and expect reliability and a level of aftersales.
Make your own and know exactly what's in it, and it'll be cheaper, but if it fks up you're up the river.

Personal preference I guess.

Edit:

I'd instead recommend going for a branded barebones system, it'll probably (not necessarily) save you a little money and you'll have the brand there who can support you to an extent. I think Dell used to do them, don't know if they still do, though I'll pimp the Shuttle SN41G2 XPC for good measure.
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Feb 2003, 18:29   #5
Y2G

I would build my own but I'm not too hot on which brand of Motherboard/Memory/Hard Drive/Everything I should get, and if it didn't work first time I'd be up **** creek. I'm after a compaq because the one I had was massively more reliable than other brands I've owned, even if they aren't as cheap as some others.
Unread 9 Feb 2003, 18:31   #6
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Y2G
I would build my own but I'm not too hot on which brand of Motherboard/Memory/Hard Drive/Everything I should get, and if it didn't work first time I'd be up **** creek. I'm after a compaq because the one I had was massively more reliable than other brands I've owned, even if they aren't as cheap as some others.
Go barebones then, you'll get a mobo and a case at least, then just go branded for the other components.

Look at Crucial or Corsair memory, a Western Digital or Maxtor Hard Drive (avoid IBM like the plague, I've had 3 DeskStars just drop dead), etc, etc
Unread 9 Feb 2003, 18:33   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
PS Athlon Athlon Athlon

Compatability should be listed on their websites.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Feb 2003, 18:59   #8
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
If you have to get a brand name PC get a Dell.

HP and Compaq are crap.
Unread 9 Feb 2003, 19:03   #9
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
from what I've heard, Vanilla is right and you want a "Dell". Thats just secondhand information though, you might want to read up a bit.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Feb 2003, 19:16   #10
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Dell is incredibly expensive though.

If you can afford a Dell, don't get one. Instead get the Alienware Area-51. I'll never be able to get one though
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Feb 2003, 19:28   #11
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

http://www.euro.dell.com/countries/u...sion_offer.htm

£900.

Less than you'd pay for an equivalent Compaq I'd venture, and you get a flatpanel display with it.