User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 Jan 2003, 16:46   #1
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Angry So my job went poof this week.

As the uni placement assesor person decided that a) my work is **** [it is], and not relevant to my degree [it aint]
b) i am being treated badly, and the company may well be breaking the law [by not allowing us breaks > 15 mins]

So as soon as the uni's cleared it i have to give 2 weeks notice.

So anyway, anyone got a new job for me ?

but also

:/
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 17:26   #2
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
So er...your uni tells you where you can and cant work?
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 17:28   #3
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
You could flop burgers at burger king?
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 17:29   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
So er...your uni tells you where you can and cant work?
We can't work anywhere.

I extend this to its logical conclusion, and don't go to lectures.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 17:32   #5
Ap0k
Spritely:

Ap0k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Snurx
You could flop burgers at burger king?
i understand that basic martial arts is now part of the training...
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 17:33   #6
menth0l
dim like a fox

menth0l is on a distinguished road
I have to work to support myself through uni.

:C
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
menth0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 19:58   #7
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
more specifically, in my placement year which i must do to get a degree, my uni tells me where i can and cant work :/
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 20:07   #8
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
Can you clarify the first post please. i'd like to know, but in more detail - what course you're on, what job you got, how they are treating you badly etc,just explain a bit more.
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 20:16   #9
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
aww nb3.. that sucks

but then again.. great that your uni noticed what's going on. hopefully tehy'll find you a better job
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 20:23   #10
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally posted by Vanilla
Can you clarify the first post please. i'd like to know, but in more detail - what course you're on, what job you got, how they are treating you badly etc,just explain a bit more.
certainly Mr Vanilla,

I am doing a BEng Software Engineering (Software design/analysis/planning etc) at Staffordshire university, the 3rd year of which should be a paid year in industry.

After 10 (:s) interviews, i took the one job i got offered, which was Tech/Customer support for an ISP in Sheffield. This job was going great until about 2 weeks ago.

See, our department was/is horribly understaffed. So when there were 5 service problems (FTP broke, dialin numbers broke, fax2email service broke etc) all the in same week, we had 5-6 times the usuall number of calls/enquiries to deal with.

As a result call answered % shot down to 33% or so.
Directors are money grabbing twats whom are getting shares when the company is floated in april, so they want nice statistics to put the share price up with.

Hence, they made the entire department (under threat of dismisall), sign a document stating that on your shift you would
  • take 90 calls/enquries (easy target)
  • be logged in for 8hrs (its a 9hrs shift, so duh...)
  • no calls are to be greater than 180 seconds (This one is just silly, you try a sales call, or an ADSL fault call in 3 mins fs)

Which was bloody annoying, but i wanted to keep my job so i signed it. Since then they've also said
  • we arent allowed to talk. at all. except to customers/team leaders.
  • we arent allowed to move from our seats without damn good reason
  • anyone wanting to talk to us must clear it with our team leader first
  • no breaks are to be longer than 15 mins, including dinner breaks (this may be illegal, im not too sure)

Anyway, twice a year the uni sends someone to check on your placement, to make sure you arent being abused etc.
The guy turned up, and was dumped in a room and ignored by the managers etc till we could take 15 mins to see him, which hardly created a good impression.

So, i saw him eventually, and basically told him all of the above etc. He also spoke to 2 other guys working here from our uni.

As a result of that, the university does not consider my placement to be either
a) relevant to my degree (which i could get away with was it an ok job)
or
b) be very good working conditions.

As a result, they want me to quit as they dont want me be used as cheap manual labour all year.
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 21:14   #11
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I know a fair few people who used to be, or are still doing computing at Staffordshire. And none of them could find decent work placements either.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 21:15   #12
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
isnt kev 'game' wintle doing that there ?
Knight Theamion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 21:22   #13
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally posted by Knight Theamion
isnt kev 'game' wintle doing that there ?
he seriously better fking not be :/
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 21:28   #14
poshphil
Little Bitch

poshphil is an unknown quantity at this point
so which bit of staffordshire uni are you at. the one in stoke or stafford?
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 21:30   #15
Ap0k
Spritely:

and there was meh thinkin it was just lil old meh in staffs... :eek:
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 21:32   #16
poshphil
Little Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Ap0k

and there was meh thinkin it was just lil old meh in staffs... :eek:
same question to you then
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 21:34   #17
Ap0k
Spritely:

stoke campus
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 21:36   #18
poshphil
Little Bitch

Quote:
stoke campus

he he, you seen the brand new student accomodation on the way into hanley? I shall be living there next year.

Although i go to the proper uni in stoke
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 21:38   #19
Ap0k
Spritely:

not yet.

i dont get out much.

and whats the difference between 'the proper uni' and the one im at? (i didnt even know there 'were' 2....)(which there probably isnt, and i have just grossly misinterpreted ur post...)
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 21:40   #20
poshphil
Little Bitch

Quote:
not yet.

i dont get out much.

and whats the difference between 'the proper uni' and the one im at? (i didnt even know there 'were' 2....)(which there probably isnt, and i have just grossly misinterpreted ur post...)
keele would be the proper uni.

Youve been there 3 months and you dont know anything about anything????
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 21:43   #21
Ap0k
Spritely:

why on gods earth would i would to 'know something' ?

(im rarely in stoke, any of the times ive gone walkies ive ended up in hanley. and even at that, im not that interested in looking around :\ theres nothing much here that i havent seen/done at home)

Last edited by Ap0k; 24 Jan 2003 at 21:58.
Ap0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 21:47   #22
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

heh.
im actually in stafford when im at uni, and its ****.
stoke campus is sposedly good though..
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 22:41   #23
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
Gotta say I agree with the uni's decision.

That place did not sound like fun and it's a good thing the uni guy saw that, otherwise you'd have probably stayed there under fear of not fufilling your whole year in order to get a sandwich degree.

Now the uni will let you go off and find another job and this time-out period wont go against you statutiory 48 weeks in employment to complete the year.

At least you walked away with a lot of netowrk and dial up experience!

got any stories about irate, crazy or stupid customers for us?
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 23:46   #24
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally posted by Vanilla
Gotta say I agree with the uni's decision.

That place did not sound like fun and it's a good thing the uni guy saw that, otherwise you'd have probably stayed there under fear of not fufilling your whole year in order to get a sandwich degree.

Now the uni will let you go off and find another job and this time-out period wont go against you statutiory 48 weeks in employment to complete the year.

At least you walked away with a lot of netowrk and dial up experience!

got any stories about irate, crazy or stupid customers for us?
yeah, in some ways im glad to leave as the conditions are ****, its just finding a new job seems to be a bit tricky...

heh, theres millions of customer ones every day.. i spent 30 mins with a guy trying to work out why he couldnt talk to his ADSL router... he didnt have it plugged in...

the funniest thing is the management really.
like they issued us all with mugs. c'ept we arent allowed to use the kitchen as its only for the drinks machine, so you have to take it to the toilet to clean it or wait 5hrs for the dishwasher to run...
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 23:51   #25
Helveticus
finnish pokèmon

Helveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
why on gods earth would i would to 'know something' ?

(im rarely in stoke, any of the times ive gone walkies ive ended up in hanley. and even at that, im not that interested in looking around :\

You're not missing anything. at all.

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
We enjoy sucking the fun out of the boards. It's a competition.
Helveticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 23:52   #26
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
I cant see how you can put a time limit on support calls.
I bet 95% of calls are from fcuk wits who know nothing about PCs except what the guy at PC World told them when he sold it.

Besides tech support calls tend to be £1 a minute numbers, so i thought they'd try and string the calls out a bit.
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2003, 13:16   #27
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally posted by Woof
I cant see how you can put a time limit on support calls.
I bet 95% of calls are from fcuk wits who know nothing about PCs except what the guy at PC World told them when he sold it.

Besides tech support calls tend to be £1 a minute numbers, so i thought they'd try and string the calls out a bit.
me either, i have yet to have an average under 3 mins

and its a local rate too, so they're making bugger all from the calls. :\ :/
Unread 25 Jan 2003, 13:38   #28
Not_RIT

Not_RIT is an unknown quantity at this point
The stafford PA players should meet up some time

Im doing a computing course at Stafford College atm

Then Im thinking of doing a software engineering course at stafford uni or durham uni.
Not_RIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2003, 13:41   #29
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally posted by Not_RIT
The stafford PA players should meet up some time

Im doing a computing course at Stafford College atm

Then Im thinking of doing a software engineering course at stafford uni or durham uni.
you should know durham is the better place
(soft eng at stafford aint great at all. unless you wanna learn it all yourself)

How many others we got in stafford ?
Unread 25 Jan 2003, 13:49   #30
Not_RIT

Not_RIT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by NEWSBOT3
you should know durham is the better place
(soft eng at stafford aint great at all. unless you wanna learn it all yourself)

How many others we got in stafford ?
Yeh I know Durham is the place to go, need a Distinction in my BTEC course (thats equiv to 3A's at A lvl) and then take some tests when I go for my interview. Luckily for me I interview well and going for the BTEC instead of the prefered A lvl route means I can pretty much take the first year of Soft Engineering easy.

Glass/Cheery up in Stoke way, CrimsonBurn/MrDevils/me in stafford.

Most of us hang out in #mistress
Not_RIT is offline   Reply With Quote