User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 7 Aug 2014, 14:05   #1
bergs

bergs is an unknown quantity at this point
New Players

Hi guys
I used to play Planetarion when i was in high school and loved it (round 4). Since then i try and play every now and again but its never been the same since the player count has dropped. As a player now with a full time job this game is getting harder and harder to find the time and the commitment to play. i can only speak for my self here but I'm guessing others may feel the same.

What I'm getting at is each round the same question is asked, how to get more players to join but i think we may need to look back to figure out this.

I see this game a little like football manager. Each year improvements are made, only making the game more complex for the addicted few but making it impossible to have fun straight away like other games such as clash of clans. it was easier at the start as with more players there were more opportunities for smaller players to be successful and not be farmed but now the smaller players are attacked by all and as such enjoyment is reduced. A simple protection system after a significant attack to provide time for redevelopment may help. Also only being able to attack players of a similar size may protect the new players more.

Also and I'm sure il be the only one here with this one but using IRC as the chat option seems overly techy and complicated to the beginner. A more simplified in game chat option would be useful. How about much reduced attacking times but a larger time to return fleets, means instant gratification for attacking but also places a penalty on ships allocation ability.

Just a few thoughts on why i find this game difficult and hard to play and problems with the tactics. A game with more levels of players allows for progression and opportunity to become addicted. As new players we don't expect to win but equally we like to do well too. Let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

While I'm thinking, how about bonus resources given periodically to the weaker players to boost development and allow them to catch back up?

Bergs
bergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2014, 14:33   #2
Blue_Esper

Blue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of lightBlue_Esper is a glorious beacon of light
Re: New Players

i like your idea of a protecting introduced when you've been roided, perhaps the bash threshhold being increased to only being able to be hit by players below your value for 72 ticks or something would be nice
Unread 7 Aug 2014, 14:40   #3
BloodyButcher
Propaganda Chief

BloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud ofBloodyButcher has much to be proud of

I think someone else has suggested it.
But having a Maximum of Gateway to a planet in a alliance you are not at war With would reduce the newbing bashing, and all the bandwagon attacks on larger allies.
If someone want to join the bandwagon, atleast they must declare it officialy or something of that sort.

RB Ely MISTU Angel Fusi0n 1up ToF VisioN CT FAnG ROCK
BloodyButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2014, 14:44   #4
bergs

anything to make the players with a low score have a larger advantage. keep them in the game. there is nothing so soul destroying as logging in to find that you are going to be fleet caped or be destroyed after weeks of hard work. New players are way too vulnerable to pre existing effective tactics
Unread 7 Aug 2014, 14:51   #5
TheoDD
Othello Champion, Solitaire Champion, Anime BlackJack Champion

TheoDD has a spectacular aura aboutTheoDD has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergs View Post
anything to make the players with a low score have a larger advantage. keep them in the game. there is nothing so soul destroying as logging in to find that you are going to be fleet caped or be destroyed after weeks of hard work. New players are way too vulnerable to pre existing effective tactics
tbh, the lower your value and score is, the bigger advantage you already have. bigger XP gains, bigger salvage from defence, less potensial target and so on. Not to mention CT last round had a first? (by the look of his development scan) time player in top 3 for most of the round.
TheoDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2014, 15:00   #6
bergs

granted I'm sure many join and quickly get to grips with the game however there are currently only around 500 players for this round. This game needs way more than that and the average new player isn't going to finish near the top 100.

I wouldn't be the best at suggesting new ways to improve the game as i am not up to date on what has previously been tried however looking back at the other threads, most development ideas focus on tweaking of complex algorithms and formula where basic development seems little to none.
Unread 7 Aug 2014, 19:16   #7
fortran

fortran is a jewel in the roughfortran is a jewel in the roughfortran is a jewel in the rough

Nothing wrong with new players not being able of finishing near t100. Imo what lacks for new players are useful guides. This game doesnt allow mistakes and one cant learn it through experimentation during round and still expects good results. A guide/walkthrough should teach everything from possible tickstarts to end game strategies. That's imo the main gap for a new player.