User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 27 May 2006, 14:32   #1
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Earphones

Yes, it's another thread about them - but it's now me who needs help. My present pair (these ones) are on the verge of breaking, so I'm after some new ones of a fairly decent quality.

This is the point where I outrage nod and the other audiophiles. I don't want massive headphones. I don't want canalphones, I tried them and just couldn't wear them.

My music's mainly indie/alternative - think Oasis, Jack Johnson, Fall Out Boy, The Killers, and so on. I want an earphone that doesn't make these sound incredibly shit - since I have noticed the deficiencies of my current pair.

I could go for a pair of headphones with a neckband - but I don't want to look like a ponce walking down the street with the type that go over the top of my head. I just want a decent quality pair of non-canal earphones (or headphones with a neckband).

I've probably offended most of the forum now, so I'll stop. But any advice would be gratefully received.
Unread 27 May 2006, 15:07   #2
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Earphones

By canal phones im assuming you mean ones like you linked to, but go deeper.

In which case everything else is inferior.

You could try the ones that hook on the ear
Unread 27 May 2006, 15:14   #3
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
By canal phones im assuming you mean ones like you linked to, but go deeper.

In which case everything else is inferior.
Yeah, that's what I mean. And I know that the alternatives produce inferior sound. I don't care. If I can't wear them, there's no point having them. I've tried them and it just wasn't happening for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
You could try the ones that hook on the ear
I would, but I wear glasses - so they just interfere with the frames.
Unread 27 May 2006, 16:32   #4
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Get some expensive ones of the type you currently wear then
Unread 27 May 2006, 16:57   #5
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
I've tried them and it just wasn't happening for me.
This type right?
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/5344493.htm

What exactly was the problem, just uncomfortable? Did you try the different sized rubber ends?
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2006, 17:32   #6
furball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarak
This type right?
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/5344493.htm

What exactly was the problem, just uncomfortable? Did you try the different sized rubber ends?
Nope, Sony MDR-EX71SL's from Dixons. I just couldn't get used to the sensation of having something like that in my ear, it was really uncomfortable. I'm not going to be going back to that type - especially when they're non-returnable for hygiene reasons.
Unread 27 May 2006, 18:15   #7
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...930679-4522218

I own a pair of these (I paid twice as much for them in my local eletronics store).
Now, I don't have much experience with headphones, but I find them good. Comfortable to wear, and the sound is okay. You can of course tighten them around your skull, so they won't ever fall off if you go running/jogging with music. It also has a switch, so you can wear it with the band over your head, or as a neckband. This is the "light" version of Porta Pro:
Wich is a bit more exclusive, but looks freaky.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 May 2006, 19:18   #8
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If you dont want over-the-head phones or canalphones then they're going to be fairly shit - you just cant get high-quality earbuds or 'streetstyle' etc headphones. The Sennheiser MX500s have a repuatation for being the best earbuds availabe, but dont expect anything mindblowing. Is a pair of over-the-head phones still out of the question if theyre really small? (or the next model up here, which are pretty much the same except they apparently have slightly worse soundquality, but are closed (ie dont leak as much noise to the outside world)) - they arent all massive chunky things which make you look like an idiot.

Whats wrong with canalphones by the way? I know they look like theyre going to feel horrible and the idea of putting something deep in your ear doesnt sound appealing, but after you get used to them most people say they are _far_ more comfortable than earbuds (they do feel horrible at first though, its really just a case of breaking them in). I often listen to mine 8+ hours a day and rarely experience fatigue or discomfort. Given your taste in music (stuff which requires decent bass), you ideally want these, or if you want something slightly cheaper, these. If you havent tried canalphones and dont think youll like them then why not get a really cheap pair to try them out. If you dont like them then its only 10 quid youve spent and they should still sound better than your current ones.

Last edited by Nodrog; 27 May 2006 at 19:40.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2006, 17:30   #9
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Actually ignore that, these have been getting praise on head-fi and they arent canalphones, so you might want to check them out.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2006, 02:13   #10
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have the MX500s, I used to use them before I got my current "canalphones" or whatever you want to call them. They are quite good, having a nice even response across most of the range, and more importantly don't sound harsh like some earbuds do. However, the bass response is pretty poor.

And as has already been mentioned, as soon as you try and compare them to the quality of the canal type ones, you might as well forget it.
Unread 29 May 2006, 10:49   #11
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

You arn't after a pair of big headphones, granted - but for those that might be interested I've a pair of these, and they really are excellent. Fully closed, there is no noise from the outside world, and they don't look particularly chunky or huge. In terms of comfort I almost forget I am wearing them. As for sound quality the bass response is pretty good, they are a bit sharp - but on the whole they produce excellent sound for a pair of headphones.