User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 18 Sep 2006, 14:19   #51
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Re: Expantion OF PA Community.

I'm not going to comment on Fr0sten's dealings with the feds team, that is a matter between himself and Netgamers staff. I will however shed some light on the technical aspects of swtiching networks.

For those doubting the usefulness of nickname ownership, answer this. If the bot used for reporting alliance incoming was disconnected, and someone stole its nickname, what could you do about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
So unless someone TRUSTWORTHY is going to code and host a service for Quakenet that would give PA Players the features needed that the channel/nick services dont give, your going to have to come up with a better reason than that
Writing and introducing new services to a new network is by no means a solution. Assuming the QNET opers approved the use of a services link, how could it enforce nickname ownership without access to the Q user database? Not to mention the fact that it would be fulfilling a role QNET have already said they do not want on their network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRob
Undernet services are very similar to NetGamers services...
I don't actually know precisely what those things are, so it's hard to judge how valuable they are...
While based on the same initial code, there are some significant deifferences between IRC and services software on both networks. Our IRC daemons support channel modes not found on Undernet (such as stripping colour codes, blocking channel CTCPs, notices and multi-target messages). P and its related services have several modifications to support partners, including official channel flags, custom verifcation text and targeted globals.
Netgamers also has a plethora of IP exceptions used by various individuals and alliances that would need to be transferred.

We have a large group of both operator and CSC staff introduced to the network via games like Planetarion. As such they understand various issues with the game/IRC that would not be as easily explained to QNET staff.
Netgamers is a much smaller target for malicious drone attacks. The majority of incidents on here are purpotrated by existing users of the network, who can often be stopped by the threat of losing their network access and/or P account. Quakenet on the otherhand sees drone attacks "because it is Quakenet" - a single large target ripe for spamming various material.
Unread 18 Sep 2006, 17:18   #52
biffy
Jolt PA Liaison

biffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the rough

Coming from a QuakeWorld background I have been using QuakeNet since the very early days of it being formed and when I was at BarrysWorld, later GAME.NET, we had a significant involvement there with a couple of QuakeNet opers being on our staff due to us providing the largest hub of servers for the network. It's still the server I'm on the most as it is the meeting place of choice for FPS gamers in Europe which is Jolt's main target audience for the bulk of our services. From personal experience I find QuakeNet a lot easier to use than Netgamers.

From a commercial point of view it would be beneficial to Jolt to have an IRC server on QuakeNet as we do have a lot of channels there and it's been difficult for us to do things like run IRC bouncers & bots on the network as we're not a partner of the service. This goes back to before my time at Jolt when the people who tried to get Jolt onto the network were a bit silly about it and caused some bad feeling between Jolt & the QuakeNet opers. There's never really been a need for another UK host since, only when BarrysWorld was shut down at which point Jolt was still on a bad footing with QuakeNet and the slack was taken up by Multiplay.

Given the issues mentioned we've even considered moving off QuakeNet and onto Netgamers completely to give us more control over what we do, but this would probably end up hurting more than helping due to it splitting up users across multiple servers. Other companies in our area of business tried this before and it just didn't work.

As for the reverse, migrating Planetarion to QuakeNet, this could only become a possibility if we had a server presence on the QuakeNet network. Even then we'd have to carefully consider the implications of doing so and I'm sceptical about the benefits. For example, I've never once seen an advertisement in QuakeNet IRC for a service in the same way that you get announcements regarding new rounds of games in Netgamers. It just doesn't happen and I really don't expect it ever would as QuakeNet has a pretty strong anti-spam & advertisement policy. I've never seen a Multiplay advert.

I will be discussing this further with the appropriate people but currently I feel that any move to a larger network in the hope that it somehow would bring in more users would cause more harm than good so I would strongly advise against it.

Last edited by biffy; 18 Sep 2006 at 17:23.
biffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2006, 18:10   #53
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtothez
For those doubting the usefulness of nickname ownership, answer this. If the bot used for reporting alliance incoming was disconnected, and someone stole its nickname, what could you do about it?
- To counter instable networks - choose one server where you and your (main) bots are on

- to counter nick-thieves - educate your users to only talk with your bot when they and the bot are sitting in a secret channel and the bot is opped*

- to counter network takeovers - a botnet spread across different servers and one or two irc-ops as friends

*: serious bots use a partyline with authentication anyway - no flood problems, secrecy, authentication and no nick problems
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2006, 19:31   #54
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Seems my original post got deleted, would you mind not deleting posts which are on-topic?
The first part of your post continued the 'flame' war part of the convo which is why I assume ComradeRob deleted the whole thread. As such it was somewhat off topic with your good points seeming more like after thoughts - Wakey ***
]

It would be more beneficial if NetGamers actually focused on offering a better service for Planetarion, at the moment it's yet another IRC network with a cservice bot.

The original Planetarion IRC network had things like Alliance Hosting, NetGamers doesn't. You can't register more than 3 channels for your alliance. Theres no official web IRC for players at work behind evil firewalls. Currently the only difference between Quakenet and NetGamers is a slightly different channel service bot.

Last edited by wakey; 18 Sep 2006 at 19:42.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2006, 19:45   #55
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper
Seems my original post got deleted, would you mind not deleting posts which are on-topic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRob
I've tidied the thread up a little - I've removed Fr0sten's rant about g-lines, and the replies which relate purely to that matter.
Thus it wasn't on-topic

Quote:
It would be more beneficial if NetGamers actually focused on offering a better service for Planetarion, at the moment it's yet another IRC network with a cservice bot.
NetGamers isn't just Planetarion. It has two formal partners (Planetarion and DoM) and a number of smaller groups using the network with official channels.

Quote:
The original Planetarion IRC network had things like Alliance Hosting, NetGamers doesn't. You can't register more than 3 channels for your alliance. Theres no official web IRC for players at work behind evil firewalls. Currently the only difference between Quakenet and NetGamers is a slightly different channel service bot.
I must admit that I don't remember this Alliance Hosting that you're talking about - the only Alliance Hosting that I remember was in-game. Wakey would probably remember.

The 3 channel limit shouldn't really pose a problem - if you need more than three channels, just get one of the other HCs to own the channel.

This Web IRC issue - NetGamers is responsible for the network itself, not your front-end access to it. The firewall is your problem, not NetGamers' problem.

As for trying to tell us that there's only one minor difference between Quakenet and NetGamers, you've obviously been smoking the silly stuff. Read through the thread again to see how wrong you are.
Unread 18 Sep 2006, 19:58   #56
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
I must admit that I don't remember this Alliance Hosting that you're talking about - the only Alliance Hosting that I remember was in-game. Wakey would probably remember.
During my time in PAteam one of the pet projects was the official but external alliance hosting feature. Now in Zippys master scheme of things the cornerstone of this was a AHbot.

From what I recall it never really worked out that well. A very basic version may have been tried for a round but it lacked features and apart from maybe whatever alliance Zippy was involved withat the time (was probally FX9) no half decent alliance used it as it didnt add anything that their own tools didnt give.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
The 3 channel limit shouldn't really pose a problem - if you need more than three channels, just get one of the other HCs to own the channel.
Actually there are issues with channel registeration imho and that whole area is one that I firmly believe NG need to listen to and work with the community into finding a solution. The amount of times I've had to get BC's to register channels as we have run out of active channel spaces in the hc is so much id struggle to count them on my fingers and toes.

The alliances tried to discuss the issue of channel registeration before but really got confronted with a brick wall which is a shame as NG does somewhat rely on the people PA brings to the table and it would be nice if both parties could work together to make both PA and NG more successful
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2006, 22:02   #57
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

furball, what features does NetGamers offer which are so unique and different to other networks? I must be smoking the silly stuff, but I really can't see any new or innovative ideas which NetGamers has!

Some other features which I'd say are badly needed:

The ability to register a "group" similar to the freenode IRC network would be a huge benefit to alliances. Alliances could register a group and get automatic rights to any channels starting with the groups name. NoobAlliance could register #nooballiance as a group parent channel, and get rights to #nooballiance-members, #nooballiance-officers, #nooballiance-defcalls, etc. without having to go through the entire registration procedure.

Channel ownership features from ircu2.10.12 would also be great, read here for more information. Alliances could use simple channel passwords to keep defcall channels secure without having to fully register them.
Unread 19 Sep 2006, 00:57   #58
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramihyn
- To counter instable networks - choose one server where you and your (main) bots are on
No server is 100% reliable, the connected will break eventually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramihyn
- to counter nick-thieves - educate your users to only talk with your bot when they and the bot are sitting in a secret channel and the bot is opped*
I was primarily referring to defense bots and the like. By definition the majority of users for these will be players you don't know.

Quote:
Theres no official web IRC for players at work behind evil firewalls.
This is certainly something we can look into if there's an interest in it. This is the first time I've seen it brought up, however.

Quote:
The ability to register a "group" similar to the freenode IRC network .....
My final year university project was based on desgining IRC services for a gaming network like NetGamers. It culminated in a software prototype with exactly these features. However with the lack of user interest in the program I haven't touched it for some months.

Quote:
Channel ownership features from ircu2.10.12 would also be great...
As far as I know this ircu extension was never fully tested nor finished, and is certainly not implemented on Undernet.
Unread 19 Sep 2006, 01:55   #59
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtothez
This is certainly something we can look into if there's an interest in it. This is the first time I've seen it brought up, however.
One of the servers used to allow connections on ports 80 and 8080, although I think that this was trustnet (since delinked)
Unread 19 Sep 2006, 02:06   #60
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2
One of the servers used to allow connections on ports 80 and 8080, although I think that this was trustnet (since delinked)
pilkara.de.eu.netgamers.org allows connections on port 8080
Unread 19 Sep 2006, 08:50   #61
GReaper
The BOFH

I did ask about port 80 and 443 servers here, but nobody seems to read the NetGamers forums.
Unread 19 Sep 2006, 09:02   #62
Fr0sten
Fear - HC

Fr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I don't think that changing networks would have any real effect on income, and in fact its worth pointing out that recently other games similar to PA have moved to netgamers.
Yes mostly these are Planetarion CopyCats / Spinoffs that try and take the userbase away from planetarion! For instance ********** etc...

I have noticed if you whois the whole of the #planetarion channel you will find one or two of the users in there playing other games that are similar to planetarion for example ********! To be honest I think Planetarion should really Get Global Trademarks / Copyright / Patants. This will prevent further spin-offs.

#Fear on NetGamers

irc://irc.quakenet.org/planetarion
Fr0sten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2006, 09:35   #63
Fr0sten
Fear - HC

Fr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these partsFr0sten is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffy
Coming from a QuakeWorld background I have been using QuakeNet since the very early days of it being formed and when I was at BarrysWorld, later GAME.NET, we had a significant involvement there with a couple of QuakeNet opers being on our staff due to us providing the largest hub of servers for the network. It's still the server I'm on the most as it is the meeting place of choice for FPS gamers in Europe which is Jolt's main target audience for the bulk of our services. From personal experience I find QuakeNet a lot easier to use than Netgamers.
I would have to agree with you here biffy I did find Quakenet alot easier to use in regards to nickname/channel registration its really easy to use and there are lots of MIRC Scripts that are written to help make the Quakenet Experiance a whole lot better. And there website is very tidy and somewhat extensive FAQ and the people in #help are always there when you need them.

Quote:
From a commercial point of view it would be beneficial to Jolt to have an IRC server on QuakeNet as we do have a lot of channels there and it's been difficult for us to do things like run IRC bouncers & bots on the network as we're not a partner of the service. This goes back to before my time at Jolt when the people who tried to get Jolt onto the network were a bit silly about it and caused some bad feeling between Jolt & the QuakeNet opers. There's never really been a need for another UK host since, only when BarrysWorld was shut down at which point Jolt was still on a bad footing with QuakeNet and the slack was taken up by Multiplay.
Well surely if this was fully explained to QuakeNet, I'm more than sure its most likely water under the bridge?>! what about calling the server planetarion.uk.eu.quakenet.org or if they do not need UK Servers I know jolt has servers in the USA which could be considerable use to Quakenet considering they only have 3 US Servers of which two are from the same provider.

Quote:
Given the issues mentioned we've even considered moving off QuakeNet and onto Netgamers completely to give us more control over what we do, but this would probably end up hurting more than helping due to it splitting up users across multiple servers. Other companies in our area of business tried this before and it just didn't work.
I can see your point and you cannot force people to move but Since Planetarion has moved once before from Planetarion IRC to Netgamers surely moving to Quakenet is not that hard, As long as people are around to help with the move and help people. I doubt there would be a problem.

Quote:
As for the reverse, migrating Planetarion to QuakeNet, this could only become a possibility if we had a server presence on the QuakeNet network. Even then we'd have to carefully consider the implications of doing so and I'm sceptical about the benefits. For example, I've never once seen an advertisement in QuakeNet IRC for a service in the same way that you get announcements regarding new rounds of games in Netgamers. It just doesn't happen and I really don't expect it ever would as QuakeNet has a pretty strong anti-spam & advertisement policy. I've never seen a Multiplay advert.
As stated above I really do think jolt should have a presence on quakenet, As for advertising its a simple case of NOT Spamming the entire Quakenet Network but just the LOCAL Users of the jolt server, /notice $jolt.country.state.quakenet.org :Hello #planetarion creators hour is open...

I am sure that negition with quakenet and whilst working with them im sure they would be more than happy to annouce Upcoming News from there partner. I really think this needs looking into in more detail.

Quote:
I will be discussing this further with the appropriate people but currently I feel that any move to a larger network in the hope that it somehow would bring in more users would cause more harm than good so I would strongly advise against it.
I would have to disagree with you here due to the fact that the benifits of having the Planetarion userbase on quakenet is worth alot to the community in regards to bringing new players into the game and also once a server is established on the quakenet network you could display the Planetarion game in the MOTD which would attract more people to the game.

#Fear on NetGamers

Unread 19 Sep 2006, 09:47   #64
biffy
Jolt PA Liaison

biffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the roughbiffy is a jewel in the rough

The advertising you mention doesn't happen and this would be unlikely to change. They do not promote services of partners because if they did that for one partner they would have to do it for all partners and this would result in a lot of spam advertising that would get on the nerves of users. And nobody reads the Motd of the server when you join, at least not in my experience.

I should add that it is highly unlikely any application would be successful from Jolt simply based on location. The UK already has a number of excellent QuakeNet servers and more than enough capacity to support the numbers of people using it.
Unread 19 Sep 2006, 11:12   #65
I am Idler
This is bat country

I am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himI am Idler is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeline
fr0sten not being funny, but why are you researching information with quakenet to that level of detail when you aren't an official representive of the game or jolt?
What the **** does this even mean?

Surely Fr0stens suggestion is a horrible one, atleast part of it. But god damn, who the **** are you anyway? Please resign is this is your level of resolve
Unread 19 Sep 2006, 12:23   #66
Timeline
Dreamer in Pit of Hell

Timeline is just really niceTimeline is just really niceTimeline is just really niceTimeline is just really nice

By that i was trying to say that as jolt use quakenet, and they dont have partner status it is the reponsibility of a representative of jolt to apply and attain it first before anyone from planetarion applies, as one of its ownings getting it whilst it doesnt is wrong.
i did try to explain that in my later post, but obviously i was unsuccessful

random n00b - r3 & 4
MoE - round 12
Rock - round 13, 14, 15, 16
Pragmatik - round 16
ToF - round 16
Subh - round 17
Pa Team - rounds 16, 17, 18, 19
awol ever since
Timeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2006, 13:34   #67
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
By that i was trying to say that as jolt use quakenet, and they dont have partner status it is the reponsibility of a representative of jolt to apply and attain it first before anyone from planetarion applies, as one of its ownings getting it whilst it doesnt is wrong.
i did try to explain that in my later post, but obviously i was unsuccessful
your avatar is too distracting.
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2006, 13:50   #68
Timeline
Dreamer in Pit of Hell

Timeline is just really niceTimeline is just really niceTimeline is just really niceTimeline is just really nice

my apologies

random n00b - r3 & 4
MoE - round 12
Rock - round 13, 14, 15, 16
Pragmatik - round 16
ToF - round 16
Subh - round 17
Pa Team - rounds 16, 17, 18, 19
awol ever since
Timeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2006, 14:27   #69
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr0sten
Yes mostly these are Planetarion CopyCats / Spinoffs that try and take the userbase away from planetarion! For instance ********** etc...

I have noticed if you whois the whole of the #planetarion channel you will find one or two of the users in there playing other games that are similar to planetarion for example ********! To be honest I think Planetarion should really Get Global Trademarks / Copyright / Patants. This will prevent further spin-offs.
It's not possible to copyright a broad game concept. Planetarion has in the past (iirc) taken action against identical games to PA, but they don't have to differentiate themselves by much in order to become legal.

Besides, taking action now would be like shutting the door after several herds have bolted.
Unread 19 Sep 2006, 14:51   #70
Zo0f
Sir peon to you

Zo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
stuff

Now I could be entirly wrong - so if someone did present a sound case for moving to a specific network it would of course be considered, however a sound case for moving to quakenet has not been presented.
Its not anyone else's job to do, it is PATeam's job. This is something you should be able to make long detailed posts about because you should of already done all this research.

This thread started with a bunch of narrow minded, lazy and plain retarded posts from both sides. Topped off with personal insults in the middle, ending with a PATeam request for the community to do their job for them. Not exactly a success story.

However something good can come from all this. Get someone (preferably not an idiot, this is really important!!) to do some research, starting with a list of all the games in this genre (web browser mmo?) and if/where they use IRC. Are they all in the same place? Are they all spread out? How can PA use this to their advantage?

Im going to assume from personal experience (and 5mins googling!!!!) that most are spread out, much like Imperial Conflict which runs its own server (irc.imperial conflict.com). This is another struggling browser mmo which offers extra features to those who pay. Could they be persuaded to come to NetGamers? Thereby expanding the pool of potential players on the NG network.

It does not take very long to realise there is at least promise enough to make it worth investigating.

"The only easy day was yesterday."
Zo0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2006, 14:58   #71
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zo0f
Get someone (preferably not an idiot, this is really important!!) to do some research, starting with a list of all the games in this genre (web browser mmo?) and if/where they use IRC.
That's actually a pretty clever idea. And i think we've just found a volunteer! (yes, that's you, Zo0f ).

Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2006, 14:59   #72
Chef!
Domestic Diva

Chef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to beholdChef! is a splendid one to behold

Pursuading other bbg's to join netgamers is really down to netgamers to do to be honest. the other downside to doing this is that while pa may gain players from these games they will also loose players to these games (especially if they are free). However i do agree with you to an extent, it would be good if more bbg's were on netgamers.

<rext> chef recall your fleet m8 they going to fc u
<Chef> recall my fleet?
<Chef> ive not logged in for two days

Its Only Nasty, When Its Not True.
Chef! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2006, 14:59   #73
shik
Sorry, Chicken...

shik is infamous around these partsshik is infamous around these parts

good idea to settle to quakenet.
all a pa irc needs is a.) a possibility to hide hostmasks b.) allowing more then 1 registered name per ip-adress and c.) allowing bots.
if quakenet can do this, it can only make things better if we go there.
Unread 19 Sep 2006, 17:49   #74
xontas

xontas is a jewel in the roughxontas is a jewel in the roughxontas is a jewel in the rough

about the most stupid idea i read in years.

ever heard of, when it aint broken, dont fix it!

(by the way, switching the whole game to a different irc-server is a strange way to get around a g-line (creative tho))
xontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2006, 19:54   #75
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
fr0sten not being funny, but why are you researching information with quakenet to that level of detail when you aren't an official representive of the game or jolt?
Yeah, why do we dare caring about the game we play when we aren't even PA TEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (even though in fr0sten's case it's probably been because of a g-line)
Unread 19 Sep 2006, 20:29   #76
Zo0f
Sir peon to you

Zo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef!
Pursuading other bbg's to join netgamers is really down to netgamers to do to be honest. the other downside to doing this is that while pa may gain players from these games they will also loose players to these games (especially if they are free). However i do agree with you to an extent, it would be good if more bbg's were on netgamers.
If it would help Planetarion, PATeam should make it happen (or at least get the ball rolling). Making excuses and dodging work isnt going to make Planetarion a success in the future.

As to the downside, Planetarion stands above most games ive played. Im sure some PA players would try other games, but it is the people from other games trying Planetarion that is important (as they are mostly free, they would bring large numbers of potential customers). If you are not confident in Planetarion's ability to attract customers (its future) why run the game? (not aimed at you Chef!)

"The only easy day was yesterday."
Zo0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2006, 21:28   #77
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zo0f
As to the downside, Planetarion stands above most games ive played. Im sure some PA players would try other games, but it is the people from other games trying Planetarion that is important (as they are mostly free, they would bring large numbers of potential customers). If you are not confident in Planetarion's ability to attract customers (its future) why run the game? (not aimed at you Chef!)
But it might be difficult to get people to pay who are used to playing for free.

I would suggest that Jolt tries something like offering a free credit to people who come from other games, but it might be hard to avoid abuse of that offer and even if you can, the verification and offer process likely only works in a cooperation with the free game. Maybe it is a good idea to go around and check all free MMORPGs which arent similar to PA and think about offering them some kind of sponsorship program.

For example offer a fixed sum like 50 to 150 pounds if you can officially run a advertisement compaign targetted at their players. Offer their players a free 6-week credit (for example by using a in-game coupon-code) and hope that they enjoy it enough during those 6 weeks that they pay for one credit and get the remaining 2 weeks of the round for free plus the next round credit. It might be a better idea to make that free period 4 weeks instead of 6 as a new player without contacts/alliance might not have much reason to keep playing after 6 weeks.

Alternatively you could offer the admins of a free game some percentage of each of their players signup fees to PA - if 200 of their players signup for the first time to PA, the game admin gets 30% of the signup fees for example.

Or send over the 20 best CS/QW players from PA and make them kill everybody while they wear a customized texture saying "pi$$ed because i killed you? - my planet is 12:5:1 at www.planetarion.com"
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2006, 02:57   #78
Fr0sten
Fear - HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by xontas
about the most stupid idea i read in years.

ever heard of, when it aint broken, dont fix it!

(by the way, switching the whole game to a different irc-server is a strange way to get around a g-line (creative tho))
Well to be honest if you think about it how many people have left pa... because its boring or lost its vibe or buzz! The only way to revive PA is simply to move it somewhere bigger! to attract new people!

And I am not trying to get around a g-line.. if i wanted to do that I would use an irc bouncer.

#Fear on NetGamers

Unread 20 Sep 2006, 03:00   #79
Fr0sten
Fear - HC

To be honest the Planetarion Team / Support / Multihunters / Forum Mods / etc all work very hard and are most certianly not lazy. This is an serious thread and talk. Please refrain from flaming people.

#Fear on NetGamers

Unread 20 Sep 2006, 04:37   #80
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Well to be honest if you think about it how many people have left pa... because its boring or lost its vibe or buzz! The only way to revive PA is simply to move it somewhere bigger! to attract new people!

And I am not trying to get around a g-line.. if i wanted to do that I would use an irc bouncer.
I can see where you're coming from... Yes, introducing the game to a new set of people would be a good thing, and you are probably correct about oodles of different people being on different servers.

One thing that does concern me... How many of us can say that we go hopping into random channels on netgamers? anyone know if there's other games that hang around on netgamers too that maybe few, if any of us know about? I can't help but wonder if it would be the same if PA moved to a different server. sure, there's a lot of extra people... But general blatant advertising = banning in some places, and the amount of random traffic will be pretty slow off the start, if not consistently. Would the move actually be beneficial, and be worth the possible loss of netgamers as a partner?

Just some thoughts anyhoo!
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2006, 06:12   #81
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly
I can see where you're coming from... Yes, introducing the game to a new set of people would be a good thing, and you are probably correct about oodles of different people being on different servers.

One thing that does concern me... How many of us can say that we go hopping into random channels on netgamers? anyone know if there's other games that hang around on netgamers too that maybe few, if any of us know about? I can't help but wonder if it would be the same if PA moved to a different server. sure, there's a lot of extra people... But general blatant advertising = banning in some places, and the amount of random traffic will be pretty slow off the start, if not consistently. Would the move actually be beneficial, and be worth the possible loss of netgamers as a partner?

Just some thoughts anyhoo!
I think thats a veyr good point - the problem we tend to face with new players is getting them on IRC fullstop - the specific network doesn;t seem to bother them.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2006, 10:14   #82
Fr0sten
Fear - HC

Okay I have given this alot of thought!

And I really think that we should have Community Eggdrops, So alliances can extend onto other networks and also so can planetarion. I have the technical knowledge and resources to setup 4 bots.

1 Bot for netgamers
1 Bot for Quakenet
1 Bot for efnet
1 Bot for undernet

This would connect planetarion with all of the above networks and people will be able to talk with people on other networks and visa versa. I will however remove the networks name from the code. This will be used internally on the bot network for relaying the messages.

Messages would be displayed as
EG.

Nickname> Hello all

There will also be a feature for creators hour's so the bot can be used to relay from #planetarion to #CreatorsHour .. 1 2 3 on netgamers or what ever the pa team decides!

I will also add a feature where by you can control all of the channels from netgamers such as kicks / bans im sure #planetarion channel ops / irc staff will appreicate this! also there will be a feature i will add which is a simple be quiet command which will tell it to stop relaying.

I think this maybe a possible alternative? And it would benifit the community i am most sure that given a trial I think people would get used to it and or can request there own relay.

#Fear on NetGamers

Unread 22 Sep 2006, 10:48   #83
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

I don't think that this is the way to go. Whilst your enthusiasm and efforts are to be congratulated, I don't think that 'community eggdrops' are going to make much of a difference. I'm saying that with almost six years experience of the PA community and a few years more experience of IRC in general; schemes like this have been tried and generally don't work.

I can appreciate that you want to make a positive contribution to the community, but maybe there is a better way of doing it?
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2006, 11:07   #84
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Okay I have given this alot of thought!

And I really think that we should have Community Eggdrops, So alliances can extend onto other networks and also so can planetarion. I have the technical knowledge and resources to setup 4 bots.

1 Bot for netgamers
1 Bot for Quakenet
1 Bot for efnet
1 Bot for undernet

This would connect planetarion with all of the above networks and people will be able to talk with people on other networks and visa versa. I will however remove the networks name from the code. This will be used internally on the bot network for relaying the messages.

Messages would be displayed as
EG.

Nickname> Hello all

There will also be a feature for creators hour's so the bot can be used to relay from #planetarion to #CreatorsHour .. 1 2 3 on netgamers or what ever the pa team decides!

I will also add a feature where by you can control all of the channels from netgamers such as kicks / bans im sure #planetarion channel ops / irc staff will appreicate this! also there will be a feature i will add which is a simple be quiet command which will tell it to stop relaying.

I think this maybe a possible alternative? And it would benifit the community i am most sure that given a trial I think people would get used to it and or can request there own relay.
Community eggdrops?

What will be next, sharing of the female population in PA?
Unread 23 Sep 2006, 17:19   #85
Fiery
PA Team

Fiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud ofFiery has much to be proud of

Kargool,

Just because you can post, doesn't mean you should....

and you shouldn't have ...
Fiery is offline   Reply With Quote