User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 15 Dec 2004, 16:34   #51
Nahoj
The Defenestrator

Nahoj is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [Discuss] Fleet Scan and Minister of War

I just had a thought, Not sure if its much good but I'll let you be the judge.

Tacitus says get rid of the MoW or rename it, Why not make him the Minister of Defense (or similar since we have an MoD) since that is basicly what allowing hi to F scan other planets in the gal would. do Then to cut down on abuse, allow him only so use the scan 5 times a day or something That kind of limit. And make it so new Ministers wait a day before getting that ability. As I said this is just something that popped in my head. Plz feel free to comment on it.

-nahoJ
Nahoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2004, 05:15   #52
macros69
Um....... Macros

macros69 is an unknown quantity at this point

If this was put in in some form, I still think that if the MoW (or defence whatever) if he was changed by GC in an attempt to scan incoming when the current MoW was online that new MoW could not see information on attacks already happenening at the time of his placement. Unfortunately i do not agree with a limit because people or especially alliances attacking could find ways around the limit.
macros69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Dec 2004, 08:44   #53
Nahoj
The Defenestrator

How could alliances get around an F scan limit? I may be a bit stupid but I would like to hear why you say that.

-nahoJ
Unread 16 Dec 2004, 15:32   #54
macros69
Um....... Macros

ok so one gal is only allowed to do ?5? fleet scans and an alliance has say 60 members all with 3 fleets. If an alliance was really after a specific target they could send , recall , send , recall bla bla bla. Or also send say 5 fleets as a fake dont recall them until say tick 4 so that people in gal will have got paniced done the scans then organised there def then the alliance recalls. Im sure there is more ways
Unread 16 Dec 2004, 22:26   #55
Nahoj
The Defenestrator

So the MoW couldnt get anymore F scans for those attacks, the gal member could still get on and get one. I can see what you mean by an alliance abusing, but its no worse then an attack being sent and being able to get absolutely no F scan on the target. So I still fail to see how imposing a limit really helps alliances abuse it. It only means an alliance could find a way around it. I only suggested the limit to prevent abuse of it, as was mentioned. Now I really dont want a limit on them but it was trying to avoid gal abuse. Tho I think the MoW not being able to use the scan for 24 ticks would work just as well.

-nahoJ
Unread 17 Dec 2004, 01:39   #56
macros69
Um....... Macros

yeh but i still feel my idea is better. no offence intended at all.
Unread 17 Dec 2004, 23:19   #57
Pinkerton
doo doo dah

Pinkerton can only hope to improve

What about letting the MoW make jumpgate scans on for fleets attacking from his gal? since he IS the Minister of War and not defence.
Pinkerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Dec 2004, 23:58   #58
macros69
Um....... Macros

yeah but in War defences have to be made. We are generalising war to much this involves attack and defence. Think about a war with no defenders i aint a war its a slaughter
Unread 19 Dec 2004, 07:27   #59
Nahoj
The Defenestrator

Plus trying to arrange a gal attack is sometimes most difficult, I should know I can nver get more then 3 gal members to talk together at a time. However allowing him to help arrange defense is something that is needed in war and it is something he can do that helps the gal out much more then gal attacks.

-nahoJ
Unread 20 Dec 2004, 13:32   #60
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

I had an idea for amps btw.

have a galaxy amp bank using the construction patern for costs but have them twice as expensive as in it goes up in incriments of 2,000 not 1,000. gal fund pays for amps, MoD buys amps MoW fires scans

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jan 2005, 15:35   #61
Nahoj
The Defenestrator

I think we have pretty much discussed everything. I think we have come up with a few workable, and mostly unabusable solutions. But we will never know which will really work until we can test it out I think.

-nahoJ
Unread 16 Jan 2005, 01:40   #62
OrionIII
Force Adept

OrionIII is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, try this one on for Size...

1. On the Preferences Page Create a New Option. "Allow MoW to see scans" With Options (a) Always (b) Never. Also on the Scan Page Put a check box, if you choose never, then the box is not selected by default, but you can check it if you want to and vice versa for the option always. So only when the box next to the scan you are using is checked can the MoW see it.

2. Allow the MoW to do 1 of each type of scan per day depending on experience level or gal size or something. You guys who do the coding can figure out how to best implement the numebr of scans, but i think it should be a modifer based on something about the galaxy, maybe average amps or something.

3. The Scans in #2 are free. Any Scans made past those, are charged out of the gal fund. A limit on these extra scans should also be implemented, once again ill let the coders decide exactly how, but maybe you should limit the amount of resources usable to buy spare scans to like 5% of the gal fund or something, just an idea on how to run it. Or possibly make it configureable, like a max of 5% but the MoD can set it to 2%. also with the likely hood that power will be divided between allainces in a galaxy, this is also a way to prevent any sort of abuse, and since the GC has the power to change the MoD, unless the galaxy doesnt care that the GC knows underhanded shit is occuring, then there shouldnt be a problem.

4. Give the MoW the ability to fund ships for a planet with a limit of some sort. Id say make it a % of the fund limit along with another limit based on size of planet. so make it so the function can only be used to help the small guy... make it only available when the target has incoming fleets > his own fleet size. (for those of you who think stuff like this can be abused, there is no way to abuse something this restrictive imo)

now that im done.. ill sit back and await the flamers to come and flame this post
Round 11 - Fusi0n HC / Coven Member / Coven Officer
Round 13 & 14 - Coven Officer
Round 15 - Insomnia

Last edited by OrionIII; 16 Jan 2005 at 01:45.
OrionIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2005, 12:45   #63
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionIII

1. On the Preferences Page Create a New Option. "Allow MoW to see scans" With Options (a) Always (b) Never. Also on the Scan Page Put a check box, if you choose never, then the box is not selected by default, but you can check it if you want to and vice versa for the option always. So only when the box next to the scan you are using is checked can the MoW see it.

2. Allow the MoW to do 1 of each type of scan per day depending on experience level or gal size or something. You guys who do the coding can figure out how to best implement the numebr of scans, but i think it should be a modifer based on something about the galaxy, maybe average amps or something.

3. The Scans in #2 are free. Any Scans made past those, are charged out of the gal fund. A limit on these extra scans should also be implemented, once again ill let the coders decide exactly how, but maybe you should limit the amount of resources usable to buy spare scans to like 5% of the gal fund or something, just an idea on how to run it. Or possibly make it configureable, like a max of 5% but the MoD can set it to 2%. also with the likely hood that power will be divided between allainces in a galaxy, this is also a way to prevent any sort of abuse, and since the GC has the power to change the MoD, unless the galaxy doesnt care that the GC knows underhanded shit is occuring, then there shouldnt be a problem.

4. Give the MoW the ability to fund ships for a planet with a limit of some sort. Id say make it a % of the fund limit along with another limit based on size of planet. so make it so the function can only be used to help the small guy... make it only available when the target has incoming fleets > his own fleet size. (for those of you who think stuff like this can be abused, there is no way to abuse something this restrictive imo)

now that im done.. ill sit back and await the flamers to come and flame this post
Or just hand over complete control and development to your MoW (or whoever) ?

Nah, sorry.

Each planet should be in the hands of the owner, not such that an outsider can tinker around with stuff (even with the best intentions)
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2005, 22:00   #64
Nahoj
The Defenestrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionIII

As for #1 I really dislike that idea on so many levels. But the biggest is I dont think the MoW should see everyones scans, even if they check that box. I think that gives him too much power.

#2, I really think limit of 1 scan of each type per day is really bad. first off I dont think he needs them second I think he should be allowed to make more then that so he can help the entire galaxy.

Now what you have said overall has given me another thought. Why not have it so each planet can set a time block up for when they usually sleep, that way the MoW can ONLY do Fleet Scans for them during their scheduled down time. Also in regards to a limit on this, make it based off how active the planet is the rest of the time. I think with those implementations we cut down abusibility even more. Thoughts and expansions off these new ideas are most welcome.

-nahoJ
Unread 20 Jan 2005, 12:51   #65
Hellcat

Hellcat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoj
Now what you have said overall has given me another thought. Why not have it so each planet can set a time block up for when they usually sleep, that way the MoW can ONLY do Fleet Scans for them during their scheduled down time. Also in regards to a limit on this, make it based off how active the planet is the rest of the time. I think with those implementations we cut down abusibility even more. Thoughts and expansions off these new ideas are most welcome.

-nahoJ
Dont want to be too negative but I'd not want my MoW in a random gal knowing my sleeptime - could be a spy or hostile alliance member.. if they want to know my downtime the'll have to watch me over a week and work it out for themselves!

MoW should be Minister of Defence - I think we have all decided that the MoW needs a new ability to do with incoming - but so far we can't decide on how to limit them or what ability they should have.

I think that the MoW should be able to fleet scan - but how to limit them?
-The target that the MoW wants to scan for should have the technology and the hardware (research + amps).
-Cost? Paid from the galactic fund - but MoW can't use their ministers position to do scans for themselves. Prevents individual abuse.
-Whats to stop GC changing their MoW depending on whos online? How about either a) allowing a change of ministers only every 48 ticks just like production, or b) Make any change delayed by 5 ticks (means any fleet will be too close to organise gal defence with a changed MoW)
Hellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2005, 15:43   #66
hellsmurf

hellsmurf has a little shameless behaviour in the past

well i like the idea that the mow can do fleet scans....
but there should be a limit of changing minister....(like it take 12 hours to get mow if its selected by gc)
hellsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote