User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 30 Dec 2002, 21:11   #1
Taratang
Superluminal Mod(retired)

Taratang is just really niceTaratang is just really niceTaratang is just really niceTaratang is just really nice
Battlefield 1942

I've been playing this excellent game for a few days, and am now looking for decent servers to play on. Any suggestions?
Taratang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 21:13   #2
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
[offtopick]What kind off game is that?[/offtopick]
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 21:15   #3
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Look on Google for "The All Seeing Eye". It's all you really need.
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 21:21   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Snurx
[offtopick]What kind off game is that?[/offtopick]
Meelee like WW2 FPS... you can drive tanks, use ship, fly planes, drive cars.... comparable to HALO, but so much better.

Taratang, do you have the legal version or the "legal" version? If you have the "legal" version there are few "good" servers. Just type "*cr*" (as in "crack") in the server filter and pick the one with the lowest ping and a few players in it. Although these kind of servers are slowly becoming more common.
I found this site a few weeks back that listed some "legal" servers, but it seems to be down now.

Also make sure you update to the latest version: 1.2. You'll have difficulty connecting to a server if you don't have this (server ignoring connection request completely).

The best way to play BF1942 is over a LAN, as I've done last weekend...
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 21:26   #5
mpr0733

mpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of light
About every time I ventured online to play bf1942, the servers I was on were full of people racing (stunt driving), suiciding with airplanes and other fun stuff that doesn't belong in a serious game.

It sort of spoiled it for me.
mpr0733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 22:52   #6
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by mpr0733
other fun stuff that doesn't belong in a serious game.
BF1942 is by no means a serious game
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 00:03   #7
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Auro is an unknown quantity at this point
If you don't like Jeep Jihad, someone has secretly lobotomized you at night.

I go on a server called Valhalla, but that's for SA goons only. forums.somethingawful.com
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 03:22   #8
Rhumsaa
Radish

Rhumsaa is on a distinguished road
Battlefield is apparently really server intensive....

so some gimp told me anyway

I've only ever used it over LAN where it is excellent....... especially when after 10 minutes we let the bots win the war and just shot each other as we spawned
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 12:03   #9
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Auro
If you don't like Jeep Jihad, someone has secretly lobotomized you at night.
I terrorised a whole group of infantry with a jeep last weekend...
It gave the rest of my team enough time to grab the other control points.
I still have to learn to bomb correctly though, I always seem to toss the damn bomb over the target.
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 12:17   #10
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity

I still have to learn to bomb correctly though, I always seem to toss the damn bomb over the target.
1) Gain altitude
2) point nose at target
3) drop bomb
4) Pull up (important)
5) Profit
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 13:51   #11
Spearhead
Beyond The Sun

Spearhead is an unknown quantity at this point
I've said it before and ill say it again

NOTHING BEATS RTCW !!!

RTCW > * fffs :-)
Spearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 14:05   #12
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by xtrasyn
1) Gain altitude
2) point nose at target
3) drop bomb
4) Pull up (important)
5) Profit
That's the easy way, also the most deadly one as your opponent can shoot you right in the engine (as I did very often with my tank machine gun... dive bombin' is bad mmkay).

Flat/level bombing is a biatch... =/
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 18:15   #13
bobble

bobble is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
That's the easy way, also the most deadly one as your opponent can shoot you right in the engine (as I did very often with my tank machine gun... dive bombin' is bad mmkay).

Flat/level bombing is a biatch... =/
dive bomb from behind then. much mor effective. plus you more often hit the bck (weaker) armor. even a tiger can go down in one hit that way (of course they have no top turret either).

but flat bombing is a biatch yes
CNN is liberal bull****...no wonder you people are so ****ing stupid. If you want a real News Channel try Fox News.
bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 20:09   #14
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
i am the master at aeroplane bombing

mainly because i have a flightstick and i have configured that to use with the game, i hate bombing, i prefer low altitude flying
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 21:46   #15
Spüg

That was a fun demo, nothing better then driving around like a maniac in a jeep and smacking into your teammates who are standing still asking for you to pick them up...\o/
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 22:14   #16
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

I shot down a plane with my tank gun! \o/

Jeep Jihad: Put dynamite in back of jeep, drive up to tank/people/plane/whatchamacallit, jump out, detonate. Fun for the whole family. Only Axis jeeps work btw.
Unread 1 Jan 2003, 00:37   #17
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
www.gamespy.com

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jan 2003, 05:56   #18
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai
www.gamespy.com
UTTER BOLLOCKS DON'T TOUCH WITH A TEN FOOT CLOWN POLE

www.allseeingeye.com
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jan 2003, 10:20   #19
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
The all seeing eye doesn't refresh during peak hours :/
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jan 2003, 20:27   #20
hinch
Banned

hinch is an unknown quantity at this point
www.furious-angels.co.uk check out the FAEG link thats our BF1942 clan also check out the forums their server details are in there i dont play my self (stuck on neocron) but reports say the server is pretty much always busy and has excellent UK/EU pings
hinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jan 2003, 22:04   #21
Taratang
Superluminal Mod(retired)

Taratang is just really niceTaratang is just really niceTaratang is just really niceTaratang is just really nice
I don't remember posting this at all, heh.

To answer a few points, yes I did buy the game, and I've patched to 1.2

I am also a goon, though I haven't tried the sa servers for fear of horrific transatlantic lag.

The only problem I'm having at the moment is people not dying when I shoot them, specifically when sniping at long range, and when using vehicle mounted mgs at people running along right in front of me, which is a tad frustrating when my ping is supposedly 30. I'm also terrible at hitting people with turrets at distance and bombing from planes. Playing single player is ****ing annoying since the bots are often utterly retarded.

I've had a few good games on th EA UK servers, though they tend to be one-sided a lot of the time.
Taratang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 01:44   #22
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Ärketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really nice
Battlefield is clearly if not the best, then among the best games, both last year and the last decade.

obviously it depends on who you play with, but this is my opinion
Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.
Ärketrollmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 01:50   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ärketrollmannen
Battlefield is clearly if not the best, then among the best games, both last year and the last decade.
Not, say, Civ 2, Half Life, Deus Ex, or the like?

Bit of an overreaction methinks.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 01:56   #24
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

Ärketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really niceÄrketrollmannen is just really nice
I actually think there were to amazing games last year. BF and Total War.

The last decade i have to say that Halflife rocked BFs ass, but it is still...no, well i have to admit i have only Played Deus Ex a little bit, and loved it.

BF is among the best games of this decade.

I won't say it is the best, but yes, among the best ones
Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 02:02   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ärketrollmannen
I won't say it is the best, but yes, among the best ones
They did a good job with it, certainly.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 02:19   #26
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Deus Ex was a masterpiece for the ages. I bought a new computer just for that, and I do not regret it.
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 13:04   #27
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
1942 is superb in multiplayer, but I played single player and it was smelly. It's heavily bugged in single player (rushed I assume), but it is the best team based shooter around for multiplayer action.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 22:11   #28
Ärketrollmannen
Ajaj Kapten!

it is not meant to be played in Singleplayer, it is only testruns
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 23:29   #29
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Blueyonder servers are quite good. i average a ping of 20ish heh
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 08:52   #30
Homerio
Furious Angel

Homerio is an unknown quantity at this point
i think we've got a bf1942 clan which we aquired sometime last month i you want to play it with a bit more team action

<Slava> If we quit pa and take up residence in a new game that would be better. Take our organisation, alliance, and skills elsewhere.
<Hathor^> hyperiums
<Hathor^> Dark Galaxy
<Slava> anything will do.
* Slava imagines team-deathmatch-hopscotch
Homerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 08:52   #31
Homerio
Furious Angel

Homerio is an unknown quantity at this point
silly double post

<Slava> If we quit pa and take up residence in a new game that would be better. Take our organisation, alliance, and skills elsewhere.
<Hathor^> hyperiums
<Hathor^> Dark Galaxy
<Slava> anything will do.
* Slava imagines team-deathmatch-hopscotch
Homerio is offline   Reply With Quote