User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 30 Dec 2002, 22:11   #1
insane_in_da_membrane
Blowdried

insane_in_da_membrane is an unknown quantity at this point
e-mails going around..

Has anyone got the e-mail about a screensaver that I've recently started getting? It's from No sender, so it can't be blocked :-/ and I was wonderin if im the only one gettin mail from no one

btw on another subject, if anyone can point me in the direction for help on clearing up "WORM_YAHA.K" i'd appreciate it. (One of my dumbass friends downloaded the screensaver when I said not too)
insane_in_da_membrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 22:14   #2
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Re: e-mails going around..

Quote:
Originally posted by insane_in_da_membrane
Has anyone got the e-mail about a screensaver that I've recently started getting? It's from No sender, so it can't be blocked :-/ and I was wonderin if im the only one gettin mail from no one

btw on another subject, if anyone can point me in the direction for help on clearing up "WORM_YAHA.K" i'd appreciate it. (One of my dumbass friends downloaded the screensaver when I said not too)
Muahahaha, you morons deserve every trojan and virus in the world.
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 22:14   #3
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Nope.
Have they evil ones begun to send mails whit "nouser"?
Thats evil.
They are evil.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 22:16   #4
insane_in_da_membrane
Blowdried

Re: Re: e-mails going around..

Quote:
Originally posted by W
Muahahaha, you morons deserve every trojan and virus in the world.
I'm the smart moron who didn't open it, my ex wasn't
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 23:05   #5
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
format c:

usually works
Deathjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 23:07   #6
W
Gubbish

Re: Re: Re: e-mails going around..

Quote:
I'm the moron who didn't open it
I know. You said so, or atleast implied it, in your initial post.
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 23:15   #7
insane_in_da_membrane
Blowdried

Re: Re: Re: Re: e-mails going around..

Quote:
Originally posted by W
I know. You said so, or atleast implied it, in your initial post.

You were right about morons deserving the trojans though \o/
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 23:44   #8
Idi

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: e-mails going around..

these worms only effect outlook dont they? atleast, they have never worked for me with the netscape/mozilla mail reader, or evolution or pine..

so.. why do morons keep using outlook?
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 23:55   #9
W
Gubbish

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: e-mails going around..

Quote:
You were right about morons deserving the trojans though \o/
I didn't speak of morons specifically. Mentally retarded persons for instance, don't deserve virus and trojans. I only specified morons like you. (Morons like your ex also deserve them, but that's off topic)
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 00:10   #10
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Auro is an unknown quantity at this point
Use Opera.
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 11:09   #11
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice

Quote:

If you have SYmantec anti-virus the removal instructions are here. If you don't have an anti-virus product installed then a) you deserve to suffer, and b) install AVG. It's free and it works and as of 25/12 it knows about this worm.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 11:20   #12
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: e-mails going around..

Quote:
Originally posted by Idi
these worms only effect outlook dont they? atleast, they have never worked for me with the netscape/mozilla mail reader, or evolution or pine..

so.. why do morons keep using outlook?
More correctly these Worms and Trojans are aimed at any application that allows Visual Basic scripts to be launched (A la Microsoft).

Alternative browsers and mail clients help cos they cant launch VB code directly.

Also Im quite sure that X based systems are just as vulnerable its just that generally security is ironed out a lot quicker than MS can do... and coupled to the fact that man+dog can (ab)use VB easier than C.
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 12:09   #13
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: e-mails going around..

Quote:
Originally posted by CjC
Also Im quite sure that X based systems are just as vulnerable its just that generally security is ironed out a lot quicker than MS can do... and coupled to the fact that man+dog can (ab)use VB easier than C.
Most linux peeps have the sense to disable HTML email though, you can't get seriously hurt by an ASCII file

As for Outlook, I have to confess a certain lack of sympathy for anyone who a) hasn't updated it and b) allows vbscript/javascript to run on their systems unchecked. I haven't had a single virus infection this year and it's not through luck!

This year approximately one in every 200 emails on the internet was viral (worm/trojan/whatever), all because of people too lazy to stop it. Every single person with an unsecured copy of Outlook is potentially adding to the problem and should be banned by their ISP till they deal with it.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 12:18   #14
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Deathjam
format c:

usually works
There's always the idiot loser that gives you this option.
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 12:49   #15
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/viru...me=WORM_YAHA.K
Also has removal tips...
running trendmicro will prolly get rid of it too:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 13:33   #16
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
I use Outlook 2000 without the office service packs, and still I have * never * had a virus during this installation.

Because I am not a tard.

It's not exactly difficult to set Outlook up properly, kill off spam from the most prolific domains at your POP provider, and use the damned junk list already.

Anyone who opens an attachment or lets HTML mails load from someone they don't know is an idiot- there's no getting out of it.

I used to use AVG but then I grew up and now use sophos.
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 14:30   #17
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by sayonara
Anyone who opens an attachment or lets HTML mails load from someone they don't know is an idiot- there's no getting out of it.
Indeed.

This is the greatest thing in the world but you dont know me from Adam. But would you click the link out of curiosity?

Luckily Im only a bastard operator from hell (IT admin) and so I would never put dodgy links up. (/thinks of the "do unto others..." speech)

For the record, Yaha/M (or Yaha/K) is the virus that is doing the rounds this new year. [edit - Sophos call it Yaha/L - make your minds up guys ]
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 15:08   #18
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Warning about this very worm posted today on The Register.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 15:34   #19
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
For some reason body content from El Reg takes an age to load in my browser at work. I'll look when I get home (to where the decent tech is).
Unread 31 Dec 2002, 15:36   #20
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I got one from [email protected] with the screensaver thing in an attachment. Very easy to block.
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jan 2003, 01:31   #21
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
Warning about this very worm posted today on The Register.
Quote:
F-Secure advises its business users to block this (and similar viruses) by stripping emails with attachments ending with .SCR and .EXE and .COM at the corporate gateway or firewall. AV vendors are updating their signature files to detect this latest mass mailer and protection is now largely in place.
Stupid people cause stupid problems.
Unread 1 Jan 2003, 14:09   #22
Tobe
Checkout Boy

Tobe is an unknown quantity at this point
i got that email and silly hotmail said there was no virus
Unread 1 Jan 2003, 14:29   #23
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
I've always wondered what the attraction of Outlook was myself. Even if you could make it more secure and disable any form of scripting or otherwise automatic execution, I personally find its interface one of the worst in any application I've encountered.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 1 Jan 2003, 19:46   #24
insane_in_da_membrane
Blowdried

Re: Re: e-mails going around..

Quote:
Originally posted by Ste
I got one from [email protected] with the screensaver thing in an attachment. Very easy to block.
It would be easy to block, if an address came up in the "From" part :-/
Unread 1 Jan 2003, 20:44   #25
W
Gubbish

Re: Re: Re: e-mails going around..

Quote:
It would be easy to block, if an address came up in the "From" part :-/
It's dead easy to block any email which match any rigorous criteria. "Empty from field" is certainly within the bounds of what a computer should manage to filter.

Oh, sorry, it's not your computer that lacks ability.