User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 30 Dec 2002, 04:13   #1
Xillah

Xillah is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy I have a dilema

So i got a new PC.

Not top of the range but a lot better than my old one (athaon 2100 xp, plenty of ram, better than average graphics card, 80 gig hd).

Any how, i ordered it on friday, got it saturday, got the modem working (right bitch with the sofware) a few hours ago.

I get my old hd with all my mp3's on and go to open the computer up to put it in and shock horror theres a 'waranty void if removed sticker over the case.

It i open it up the sticker rips, i cant peel it off.

so what to do?

do i say **** the warranty and open it up or do i count my losses and lose all my tunes?

my old pc is a loss so i cant network them or use a serial port or anything like that. My old computers cd writer is in my new one so i cant burn them...
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 04:40   #2
Androme

is that a question requesting help in the GD forum?

wow you're clever!
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 04:41   #3
Xillah

not help, just seeing what you guys would do.
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 04:44   #4
Androme

so it is a question then?

:rolleyes:
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 04:50   #5
Xillah

Quote:
Originally posted by Androme
so it is a question then?

a question, but not a question requesting help

Unread 30 Dec 2002, 04:54   #6
ElAlan
Muppet

ElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of lightElAlan is a glorious beacon of light
Me...i'd say F*ck the warranty!

you gotta wanna change something sometime before the warranty expires,plus i'm a bit mad that way

Retired.
ElAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 04:59   #7
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Auro is an unknown quantity at this point
I've been messing with these abominations since 1994. I have never, ever, ever, useed the warrenty on my HDs.
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 06:12   #8
RIT

I would personaly take the PC back, the bloke who I got my PC of rawks with warentys, I blew up the PSU and he sent someone to fix it onsite. And dont ask how I blew up the PSU, I was in a dumb mood ok???
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 09:03   #9
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Re: I have a dilema

Quote:
Originally posted by Xillah
So i got a new PC.
Implying you still have an old PC...

So network the two and copy the files across, I'll be surprised if your new mobo doesn't have an onboard ethernet adapter. Even if you don't have one in your old comp the cost of a new one (under £10, even from PCWorld) is still worth it compared to the possible value of the warranty. Obviously the odds are you'll have it apart within the year anyway but it's definitely worth not voiding the warranty for a few months at least
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 09:05   #10
RIT

Gayle is such a smarty =)
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 10:54   #11
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Speaking as someone who used to work for a PC warranty company - that rule isn't actually enforced. Give them a call and ask what their specific policy is (they might be anal and stick to the line obviously).

Where I used to work, the unofficial warranty "rules" were :
(a) You can replace any slot based component (RAM, VGA Card, etc) and add another HDD/CD-ROM.
(b) You can replace/add the above as so long as you know what you're doing or get someone who knows what they're doing.
(c) If you make a permanent addition to the PC's hardware you tell them about it. (otherwise tech support can become a nightmare)
(d) Obviously the warranty doesn't cover anything you add, or anything you damage while fecking up your PC.

But even there it's at to the discretion of the person who takes the tech call and then the claim assessor later. Most of the time the company administrating the warranty doesn't really care if it's a genuine hardware failure that hasn't been caused by accidental damage then they get the money back from the underwriters anyway.

Alternately, do as Gayle suggests and do the network option. Or, more easily, take your HDD to someone who has a CDRW and transfer the files via CDRs.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 11:16   #12
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of
If its an old pc is the warranty still actually valid?

Cant you just swap the CD-r back over for a few hours?
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 11:23   #13
Androme

it'd be better to copy it to a few dvd-rw's I think : )

anyhow, it was a question requesting help as you want to know something and you need to know whether or not to break the warranty, so you need help otherwise you wouldn't have bothered posting this + in the wrong forum if I might add
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 11:37   #14
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by MrPeach
If its an old pc is the warranty still actually valid?
Quote:
So i got a new PC.
Enlightenment dawns I hope

Quote:
Cant you just swap the CD-r back over for a few hours?
No, it has a warranty void sticker.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 11:39   #15
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of
indeed
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 11:43   #16
Androme

Did any of u idiots read that he can't network it up?

The I.Q. of this thread is < 1.
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 12:01   #17
Androme

Quote:
Originally posted by Miasma
mess
sigh
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 12:05   #18
Androme

Quote:
Originally posted by Miasma
i had fun.
doing what exactly? I'm intrigued to know out of curiosity.
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 12:29   #19
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
Copy it using floppy disks!

A more sensible solution would be to use a usb network, you can get a few mbit so it will be pretty quick for copying things over.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 12:56   #20
Idi

who did you buy your pc from?

worst thing i ever saw was a Time PC where they had ****ing glue gunned all the components in

the guy wanted to upgrade it so i had to sit there for ages gently removing all the glue without damaging anything..

AND I DID IT TOO!
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 12:59   #21
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Androme
Did any of u idiots read that he can't network it up?
He's almost certainly mistaken since unless his other PC is very old he'd be able to get some sort of ISA Ethernet card. But since that doesn't get round the whole violating warranty point it'd be easier to simply take his old HDD round to a mates. I find it unlikely that he doesn't know anyone with a CDRW.

Maybe I just know too many geeks.

And yes, Idi - Tiny (who I used to work for sort of) used to glue their components in too. It used to piss a hell of a lot of people off, but saves things becoming dislodged in transit. Although we used to still get loads of "Primary Master Not Detected" probs.

Never buy a Time/Tiny (same peeps now) PC. Ever.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 13:42   #22
Idi

Putting a network card in would invalidate his warrenty.

However, i have a usb network 'adapter' just wack it in the usb slot, and BAMO! My housemates nicked it to use on his laptop the theiving ****!

Also it cant cost very much at all (mine came free with the NTL cable modem stuff)
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 14:40   #23
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: I have a dilema

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
Implying you still have an old PC...

So network the two and copy the files across, I'll be surprised if your new mobo doesn't have an onboard ethernet adapter. Even if you don't have one in your old comp the cost of a new one (under £10, even from PCWorld) is still worth it compared to the possible value of the warranty. Obviously the odds are you'll have it apart within the year anyway but it's definitely worth not voiding the warranty for a few months at least
Quote:
my old pc is a loss so i cant network them or use a serial port or anything like that.
:frosty:
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 14:41   #24
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Stop whining and do what you need to do.

If you ever need to return to the shop you can always come here for more advice.
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 15:28   #25
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Just call the vendor and ask them if they want to transfer the data for you or put your old HD in the new comp... If they decide to put that kind of stickers on they shouldn't be too surprised if they got requests like that. A call like that will only take a few minutes and you might also find out if they're really that fussy about that sticker.

If they refuse you can always go to a mates house, build you old HD in his PC that doesn't have a "waranty void" sticker and transfer it via network (if you MOBO has a network connection) or serial or CD's... Whatever suits you...
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 17:26   #26
Xillah

Well i rang them up today and the guy said pretty much what Dante Hicks wrote. So, problem solved , I'll just stick it in later

I got it built at a small computer store, I'll never buy a pc from anywhere like pc world, time, or tiny again.
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 19:29   #27
Æquila

nelly and kelly also have a dilema:

No matter what I do
all i think about is you
even when i lick my boob
you know i'm crazy about you

LISTEN TO IT AND SEE
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 19:30   #28
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Æquila

even when i lick my boob

LISTEN TO IT AND SEE
listen harder
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 19:37   #29
Dace

EAT MORE BRAN XILLAH!
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 19:41   #30
Zitoz

Re: Re: Re: I have a dilema

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyr0 MK III
:frosty:
i was just about to tell that bitch read
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 20:09   #31
Xillah

just moved all my mp3's, documents etc. onto the new drive. It was strangely satisfying to highlight and delete everything else
Unread 30 Dec 2002, 20:14   #32
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
get another phone line, connect up one computer to one phone line and another to another phone line then make one connect to the other or some such.