User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 28 Nov 2002, 17:24   #1
laputa
Xanadu

laputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to behold
Open letter to 5S

5S,

now that PA as we know it is coming to an end I would like to seize this opportunity and thank you for all the work you have done.
Moving from a free game to Pay2Play was a major step but everybody who has an idea about e-commerce and its economics knows that it was an inevitable step to keep the game running. 100 per cent free online games are not a viable business model – at least not in the long run.

You had to face a lot of criticism during the past rounds by quite a huge part of the community (or at least a huge part of the board posters who by no means represent the player base) about being unprofessional. And yes, it is true, you are unprofessional. But how lucky are we, the players, that you are that unprofessional: Otherwise you would have shut down the game a long time ago. You would have had no mercy with Lithuanians. You would have outsourced the customer service to some sleazy hot line number somewhere in Norway and not do it personally. The list goes on and on and I think it is pretty much safe to say that your 'unprofessionalism' made out a big part why this game was and still is so attractive.
With all the bitching and complaining by mostly totally inexperienced 16 years old wanna be entrepreneurs who probably never earned their own money and don't even know the difference between Ebit and CeBit it must have been hard to go on – especially with the small margins gained during the last rounds.

I had an awesome time during the rounds I played and I wish you all the best for whatever you will do next.

Cheers

Laputa

[23:33] <@Divine> hmm I think I may have a new GF aswell
[23:33] <@Divine> but dunno yet if I want a new GF so early in the round
laputa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 17:31   #2
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Hopefully the end will only actually be the end of FSAS (which in itself is a shame) and not planetarion. Apart from wanting to make that little point I agree totally with you and hope that if it is sold on and someone keeps it running then Zeus, Spinner et al will come play with us some more without having to stress over everything all the time
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 17:51   #3
Akallabeth
Insomniac

Akallabeth is an unknown quantity at this point
i could not agree more ... thankyou 5S, thankyou alot
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 17:52   #4
The_Necromancer

Well said, Laputa.
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 17:57   #5
Little Timmy
Winker

Little Timmy will become famous soon enoughLittle Timmy will become famous soon enough
Id like to add my thanks to what will certainly be a long thread.

I have met alot of nice people. Like everyone Ive had my frustrations and I have some great fun and some very funny moments.

I wish all of the guys who have kept this game running for as long as it has all the very best and good luck to what ever you do in the future.

Once again a genuine thanks guys

Yeah so what Im an Original Pr0nstar

some of us have serious jobs
Little Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 19:20   #6
Šiscorporation

It's been fun, Spinner, Oreo, Zeus, Vish, Fudge and the others.

We'll miss you.
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 19:45   #7
Hardrada

Spinner, Oreo, Zeus, Vish, Fudge and the crew,
I have sat at my PC for long hours, I have cursed you, questioned your parentage, compared your IQ levels with invertibrates, called you every name under the sun, associated you with every conspiracy theory that PA ever generated and called forth every demon in hell to destory your dll's - why? Becuase you gave me this PA thingy..... You gave me endless hours of suspense, fun, sorrow, angst and frustration (damm resets!) most of all a lot of good e-friends and some real ones

A huge thank you, its been a bumpy ride, but worth it.

Good luck in whatever else you do........
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 19:50   #8
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Not much I can add to this, apart from that it deserves to be sticky

Thank you FSAS.
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 22:00   #9
nickhall
Naked & Profane

nickhall is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank You and Good Luck.
nickhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 23:43   #10
Devil

Thought i would just come out of retirement to say thanks for the better rounds, i won't go into that, but everyone who played since the start knows which mean

All that needs to be added now is thanks for all the time and effort you poured into it from the start.
Unread 29 Nov 2002, 00:05   #11
Karmulian

I can honestly say i have never been any good at this game, and don't claim to be.

why do i stay.. this community.. for that i thank Chris, David, Espen, vish and Fudge(sorry can't remmember names offhand)

I used to think you guys were utter *******s.. however

I then got to know oreo, not as a creator.. but as a friend.
Through him i got introduced to you all at the I-series events,

my views of you and this game changed greatly.. i saw what spinner went through just to support a small lan event, god knows what the real thing must be like for you.

OVer the last 2 years, I am happy to say i have gotten to know each and everyone of the creators. People who once were merely names on the internet, but i soon learn't they were real people.. just like you and me.. and I am proud to say that with them i took part in the greatest online RPG ever

I salute all five of you for what you have done, and for the great oppurtunity you have given me.
I wish you all the best in the future. And that after these years of hardship, you find well paying and happy jobs.. that will continue to support you families.

All the best, and if PA should continue.. and these forums still maintain your community. Grace us with your presence occasionally. and don't forget where it all began

*Karmulian Salutes
Unread 29 Nov 2002, 04:30   #12
Galadrieth

Galadrieth is an unknown quantity at this point
Without intending to add to what may become a cheese pile, i must none the less do so.

Ive played planetarion all of the rounds (sad as it may be), tried to quit many a time, but allways come back for one reason, my friends, the community and of course the game.
Over the last 8 rounds ive experienced some great times, met some amazing people, and done some crazy things (stay up days on end).
Its been a pleasure to say the least, and i sincerly hope you guys get the back pay, and plenty more for what you deserve. Also i hope PA carrys on, and that you creators stay part of the community till we all die....
Thanks
Gala

<Arf^> The chance Akujin loses his virginty with another man, Gala, is 83%
Rnd 1 -=Krom of Kromulous-31:3:4=-
Rnd 2 -=Krom of Sumeria-24:15:4=-
Rnd 3 -=RaekOne of Omega=-34:10:4=-
Rnd 4 -=Galadrieth of The Chronic=178:11:3=-
Rnd 5 -=.Nosferatu Of Chaos Without Propechy=31:6:10=-
Galadrieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2002, 05:31   #13
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Auro is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks PA Crew for the memories and the wasted lives which we were glad to toss away.
Unread 29 Nov 2002, 06:12   #14
JBOY
Retired

JBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to all
Started off like everyone else, a player.
I had great fun playing pa r2,3,4,5.

my thanks for giving me something to do during times of insomnia and near insanity.

my thanks to mer and messiah for having faith in me and giving me something i'm rather proud of

My thanks to FS.
my thanks to the rest of PAteam, my part was rather small, if any in the game, but im still chuffed.

i remember the 'buzz' of creators hour, and how strange it all was sitting in a channel as teh game, its development, and all manner of things were discussed.

My thanks to Zeus, for voicing during creators hour, my apologies for cracking jokes :OD

My thanks to Oreo, customer services extraordinairre.

My thanks to Jammyjim, and Ashknight, for dealing with all the complaints my "style" has provoked. :OP

My thanks again to Zeus, despite the criticism's, the flames and the ignorant name calling, Zeus has always had whats ebst for the community behind, and as FS have departed he has remained to try to save PA and to try and save what remains of this wonderful community, THAT, is teh dedication, that shines back thru the rounds, Despite what the public say, the common board poster(no offence), the common player.
Zeus is the man.

(ps last para mentions Zeus, its inevitable that theres a typo or spelling error............. heh)

My thanks to so many others in the community for making Pa great for me.

you know who you are.
Unread 29 Nov 2002, 06:46   #15
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Rumad has a spectacular aura aboutRumad has a spectacular aura about
I dunno why I am posting here but I shall

For many rounds I have been some of th ecreators biggest critics. Every round I have felt passionately enough to argue about. However it was as most have said through the strength of the community.

Although you hvae made a lot of dodgy decidions which as an accountant I frown upon, I want to thank all of you for all the hard work and dedication you hvae put into making this community what it is. I have made a lot of friends through this community via lan pa and via the internet, most f whom have been professional people and who are generally really nice.

Your time and your efforts (Spinner, zeus, oreo, vish and the superstar fudge) are why this community has stayed together.

Your commitment and long hours to put together a game most ppl played but where very critical of is a show of the strength of character you have individually and as a group.

I applaud you and your efforts

Thank you.
Former legion th0ng master
Proud to be Independent
Rumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2002, 09:28   #16
Salomo
Commodore

Salomo is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually i dislike corny thank you threads, they allways seem so slimy to me. But the team that brought us PA deserves a thank you, so i guess i'll jump over my shadow and post here anyway...

I can't count the number of times i've disagreed with ideas of the creators, thought they could and should do other, imo better, things. The creators and PA crew were allways very far from perfect.... but then again who's perfect?

The PA team, first among therm the creators (counting Zeus as creator eventhough i guess technically he wasn't one of the first creators), provided a game though that i enjoyed playing and played a lot, and that provided a nice refuge from the Real World. I would like to thank them for that and for all those nice experiences i had through this (i would have never been on the world trade center if it hadn't been for PA e.g.).

So thank you PA Team for providing this nice game for us. I have often enjoyed playing it.

r1: n00b
r2: 7:11 - T7C HC, WaC(Jr), Sedition HC
r3: 31:25 - Sedition, Century, SL HC
r4: 95:21 - BlueTubas'
r5: 30:5 - BlueTubas, VtS
r6: 33:24:1 - Deus Ex Machina HC, politically retired
r7: 38:22 -> 26:11 - RaH peon
r8: 12:3:4 - Defended by 1:1
Salomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2002, 10:00   #17
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough
/me wipes tear from eyes........mumblings.........I wuv u 2

hehe

On a serious note, a serious thanks to you guys for being there, playing and making this community what it is. I shall be sure to get Spinner & fudge to come have a look at this thread, it Im sure will surprise them and cheer them up.

/me bows in respect.
Unread 29 Nov 2002, 10:11   #18
thomas4
CHICKEN DIPPHAAAAZ

thomas4 is an unknown quantity at this point
/me bows to teh creators

thx for a rawking (and sleepless) time

But why get all sentimental when the round isnt even over yet, u guys should seriously do something bout your ratio
R4: [30:21:11] n00b
R5: [31:24:10] TFD
R6: [04:02:06] Xylem
R7: [27:20:11] Lithyn
R8: [29:02:05] Lithyn \ Elysium
R9: [05:05:09] WolfPack \ Sapientia (while it lasted...)
R9.5: [XX:XX:XX] Enjoying random inactivity...

Ex-Lithyn [\] †
thomas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2002, 11:06   #19
Fasiel

Thx creators for two years of entertainment !!!!

And to be honest it was cheaper then my television subscription !!

THX THX THX
Unread 29 Nov 2002, 11:14   #20
Neo
Pony

Neo is an unknown quantity at this point
About the p2p thingie...
When pa was 'free':
r1 I played about 1 hour pr day @ about 3 months (91hours)
r2 I played about 2 hour pr day @ about 3 months (182hours)
r3 I played about 3 hour pr day @ about 3 months (273hours)
r4 I played about 3 hour pr day @ about 3 months (273hours)

Online times varied _alot_, but I think that's about average

I used dialup, paying 8 NOK pr hour....
So I spent about 819 h * 8 NOK = 6500 NOK ~ 800 $
Then went nuts when I had to pay additional 10$ pr round.
Sorta funny actually . Sad you guys never got a share from the
phone company....

Aside from that...

I don't think there's anything I could add to laputa's well pld post
Unread 29 Nov 2002, 11:18   #21
Eddie_V
NAC Breda > *

Eddie_V is an unknown quantity at this point
as in most cases, ppl that r satisfied do that in silence... ppl that r not speak up...
imo that's why there was always alot of flaming on these boards by 1% of the comunity, now that PA ends the silent ppl speak up

this thread and other like this from the past few days prove my point.

ty creators for a great game
and a special ty to oreo and spinner for being at rucphen 2002
Proud to have been Adelante
Proud to have been Fury
Proud to have been Eclipse

Proud to be a part of R6B
Cya in tha next speedround
Eddie_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2002, 12:40   #22
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future
It's hard to believe an online game has been my life for the past one and a half years, but, it has - and I've loved it

Thanks a lot guys - well played.
Unread 30 Nov 2002, 14:44   #23
Backbone
The one and only

Backbone is an unknown quantity at this point
thank you.

it was a nice time!

10 times mightier than 2001
Backbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2002, 14:44   #24
Shev
So what?

Shev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to behold
Now that it's gone, i am at a total loss as to what to do. Many thanks to the creators for giving us this life-threatening game - especially Zeus and Fudge for their efforts during the last few days.

Good luck in the future!

Shev

[RaH] [Mercenaries]
Shev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2002, 21:42   #25
Chrism
Governor General

Chrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the rough
It's been a laugh.

I salute you!
Unread 30 Nov 2002, 23:34   #26
LongFell0w

LongFell0w is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Necromancer
Well said, Laputa.
Unread 1 Dec 2002, 04:04   #27
Carumar

Cool

To the creators and all those that worked to bring this great game to us,a huge thankyou.
If you told me before I was introduced to PA,at the age of 34, how it would captivate me I would have said you are crazy.
Great memories and great m8s,hope it can go on.

Turbo
Unread 1 Dec 2002, 05:24   #28
Baco
-= Plush Puppet =-

Baco is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Necromancer
Well said, Laputa.

I think that all have been said...
I just wanted to add one more thing...
I realised that I was sad a few hrs after the notice that PA might end....even my GF noticed that :P
Am I crazy?!
It's just me or do u fell that some1 stole u something? I do...

Once again thx to all that made this game possible for this 7 and 1/2 rounds, and I hope this aint the end....

r4 - 133:25:?? PTA
r5 - 35:7:?? MI/ViruS/NoS/PTA
r6 - 21:7:4 NoS/PTA
r7 - 21:4:12 NoS/PTA
r8 - 25:5:9 NoS / Titans & Plush / PTA
r9 - 24:2:7 Olympians / PTA
WC4 - 1:6:4 winner gal
r9.5 - 42:7:8 & 11:2:25 & 19:2:16 Olympians / PTA / Plush
r10 - XX:YY:ZZ RaH!
Baco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2002, 14:29   #29
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

WST is on a distinguished road
it's a tribute to the game and the creators that now that pa is finished, we're looking through the internet, trying to find a clone of pa to play instead

for 2 1/2 years my life has been pa, waking up at unsociable hours to send def, or rushing home to make the tick, and i can't imagine not doing that

thanks guys, for making my life that little bit more exciting, now that the game has gone, it's dropping down again. i've also realised that i have nothing to do on the internet anymore. sure, there's plenty to do, but pa is like the backbone of my, and i assume many others online life, life will never be the same again
Unread 1 Dec 2002, 23:36   #30
Jaric
King of kings

Jaric is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't care if this does become a cheesy thread. So it should. Thanks for all the fun, guys. As an intro to online gaming i couldn't think of a better experience. I've met new friends from all over the world and discovered that I'm not cut out for a military career (I can't start plenty of wars, just not win them)
Best of luck for the future!!
Jaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 01:28   #31
Fakhiri

Fakhiri is an unknown quantity at this point
It have been a blast guys. Been here since r3 and loved (almost) every minute of it.
I have lost my job and are currently heavilly medicated, but hey ... that could have happend anyway.. right?.. LoL..

Bon Voyage my Friends, og lykke til videre i livet!!

-Odin-
"le' conspiratore" of C52
Fakhiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 09:47   #32
Spearhead
Beyond The Sun

Spearhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

sad it had to end....i for one hope you guys will get the game sold, so it will live on....i want to thank everyone at 5S too. You guys gave us a great time !! I enjoyed Pa very much so....

thank you 5S and co

Acid
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 21:02   #33
Rythms

Good luck with that footy game of yours ...
Unread 2 Dec 2002, 23:43   #34
hefty

hefty is an unknown quantity at this point
very well said laputa!!

to the creators: Thx for 2 years of fun and good luck for your time "after PA" !

i will miss ya all...

cheers, Ronni.

---------
(R8: Ronni of Askedoron 18:8:2 )
hefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 12:15   #35
Darki

thx for a great time, a great game and a great community
reading the replies above, there is nothing I could add more I guess

/me bows
take care guy and good luck on your way, whereever u´ll go, we´ll miss you

**Darki tips his hat
Unread 5 Dec 2002, 01:48   #36
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Only one thing to add,

My personal Thanks for 2 years of gaming and entertainment.

Everything else is just window dressing.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Dec 2002, 20:53   #37
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
No replies for about two weeks, PA is in the hands of the new owners, this thread has served it's purpose