User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 16 Jun 2005, 12:21   #1
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute
Don`t do science.

I did a science degree many years ago, and now find myself working as a lab technician at a certain UK university. My pay rise recently, (after tax) was just £11 something. My rent went up recently by £22, and have had notice today that my home contents insurance has increased by £3 something. I`m actually getting poorer. Don`t do science, there`s no money in it :/

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.

Last edited by pyirt; 16 Jun 2005 at 12:27.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 12:29   #2
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Don`t do science.

There's money in it if you become more than a lab technician surely?

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 12:33   #3
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

Not really, unless your`re a Professor or Nobel prize winner. Even some lecturers don`t earn much more than me.

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.

Last edited by pyirt; 16 Jun 2005 at 12:38.
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 12:35   #4
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Or build your own zombie out of a variety of body parts and gardening tools that goes around beating up people for money.
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 12:44   #5
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Only postmodern faggots and environmentalists hate science.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 13:51   #6
pyirt
nomen est omen

The level of discussion here never ceases to amaze me.

Me=Hans_Blix
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 13:58   #7
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyirt
I did a science degree many years ago.
Maybe it's because you're too old now and your methods/knowledge are outdated?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 14:00   #8
pyirt
nomen est omen

Yeah. Happens to everyone. Even people here.

Me=Hans_Blix
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 14:01   #9
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

I always thought Science, Biology and Physics mainly, would be interesting. But I don't think they'd be interesting for a whole degree.

Incidentally, I just got a first in one of my modules! Although, I'll probably end up in a call centre. But, rock on anyway.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 14:01   #10
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
The level of discussion here never ceases to amaze me.
Well I'm not sure what you want us to say. Most people know that academics get paid nothing - if you want money then try to go into finance or something. I doubt many people seriously considering careers in science are labouring under the illusion of becoming rich, unless they are also planning on some entrepreneurial activity.
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 14:03   #11
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Maybe it's because you're too old now and your methods/knowledge are outdated?
you know he's got a drink problem and he's unhappy at work, so you thought you'd just cheer him up a bit?

edit : AND he lost his favourite jacket
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 14:21   #12
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

depends what kind of science you do and how far you take it... i have a friend who is doing his phd atm who is going to be on silly money when he finally qualifies
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 14:24   #13
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
like most people i classify creationists as the 'default' anti-science crowd.

after your post, i'm unsure whether you would classify the christian right as environmentalists or homosexuals.

ps: what does postmodern mean anyway?
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 14:36   #14
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of

My brother did a science degree and graduated last year.

After graduation he had a choice of two major pharma companies to work for.

Earning quite a lot.

A degree tends to be just that, a degree. I wouldn't say doing science would put you at a disadvantage in life.
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 14:37   #15
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
you forgot religious nutcases

edit : bleh beaten to it.
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 14:44   #16
onetwothree
4 5 6

onetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to allonetwothree is a name known to all

I'm not suprised you're on shit pay when you use `.
onetwothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 14:50   #17
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I doubt many people seriously considering careers in science are labouring under the illusion of becoming rich, unless they are also planning on some entrepreneurial activity.
Being rich is not the same as not being poor. Most people don't necessarily expect to become rich, but it'd be nice for money not to be a struggle, or at least being in a position where financial advancement is structured and clear.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 15:23   #18
pyirt
nomen est omen

I work in the UK`s most top rated Biochemistry department (together with Cambridge); we beat Oxford in the last research/teaching review. Yet, post-docs salaries start at £19K-£20K a year. I`m not much below that.

Me=Hans_Blix
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 15:36   #19
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Don`t do science.

queball: Now what would you like? They've got Philosophy with Economics, Statistics, oh, Pure Mathematics, you like that.

Nod: Want that one.

queball: Ah, I don't think you'll like that one. That one's a BSc in German with Surfing.

Nod: Want that one.

queball: But you said that the Germans were a quintessentially statist people, whose inherent love of order above the principles of natural liberty had been their downfall on so many occassions in the past.

Nod: Yeah I know.

queball: Now, are you sure?

Nod: Yeah.

queball: Are you sure you want to apply for this one? Because there'll be a right kerfuffle if you decide to change course.

Nod: I-want-that-one.

queball: You're sure?

Nod: (Nods head vigourously.) Yeah.

queball: Oh-kay

(Cut to Nod sitting in the lecture theatre halfway through the academic year.)

Nod: (To queball.) I think it's a pile of shite.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 15:37   #20
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

You work as a lab technician and expect mega bucks
arbondigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 16:19   #21
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
I work in the UK`s most top rated Biochemistry department (together with Cambridge); we beat Oxford in the last research/teaching review. Yet, post-docs salaries start at £19K-£20K a year. I`m not much below that.
The simple answer is dont work in academia. If you go to a pharma/biotech company as a graduate you can expect +20k starting salary. Science is a bit harder than other areas, you can go get a great job with just an undergrad degree in most areas but if you want to progress to high ranks in most scientific places you need some kind of postgrad qualification, ideally a PhD.

Which Uni are you at? Nottingham got a 5* rating for its Biochem department if i remember correctly.
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 16:20   #22
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Post doc-doc salaries at 19-20k ???? WTF, even uneducated people can make a better starting wage here in Norway!?!

How to hell do they manage to attract people with that sort of pay?
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 16:26   #23
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Well, you've little choice. Most salaries are heavily weighted towards experience.

And besides, most people who have done a PhD in something have a passion for the subject. They could go and earn much more money as a Gas Fitter or a Supermarket manager but realistically they're not going to want to.
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 16:31   #24
Nodrog

Quote:
Post doc-doc salaries at 19-20k ???? WTF, even uneducated people can make a better starting wage here in Norway!?!

Arent you meant to be a communist of some sort?
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 16:32   #25
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My dad did Chemistry at university.

He's now completing a project to get the first Home-Male-Infertility test in the shops, with this other guy. I'm quite proud of him actually, as he's an "inventor"

He's earning quite a bit for that...
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 16:38   #26
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

there's a limited supply of research dollars available in this world (and generally the people in charge of doling them out will always lean toward the Ubergizmo 6510 over more researchers) and a seemingly unlimited supply of feshly minted PhDs. It's pretty basic economics.

And even worse going for professorships. Many research universities won't take anyone who won't pay themselves (i.e., anyone who doesn't already have enough research funding to cover their own salary).
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 16:46   #27
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Arent you meant to be a communist of some sort?
Communists want everyone to subsist on gruel.
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 16:52   #28
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Communists want everyone to subsist on gruel.
You'd think he'd have realised that rejoicing in the radient essence of your species-being is preferable to mindlessly accepting a few monetary tokens designed to recompensate for wage slavery.
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 16:58   #29
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
You'd think he'd have realised that rejoicing in the radient essence of your species-being is preferable to mindlessly accepting a few monetary tokens designed to recompensate for wage slavery.
You'd think he'd realise that Karl Marx totally destroyed the idea that human society was motivated by econom...oh shit.

And besides, that stuff doesn't happen under Capitalism Nod, stay with the program. You can't rejoice in species being when you can't pay the rent.
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 17:00   #30
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
And besides, that stuff doesn't happen under Capitalism Nod.
Marx would almost certainly have believed that, even under capitalism, a career in science is preferable to earning large sums of money, despite getting paid a pittance.
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 17:09   #31
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
Marx would almost certainly have believed that, even under capitalism, a career in science is preferable to earning large sums of money, despite getting paid a pittance.
my guess is he would have argued that one of the deep flaws in capitalism is how it pushes people away from scientific pursuits towards more profitable ones.

but then i never thought much of marx. engels, yes, marx, not so much.
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 18:36   #32
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Marx didnt believe. He reaseached untill he knew. Thats what we call science.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 22:25   #33
pyirt
nomen est omen

Surely if you know something, you don`t need to research it? Maybe research is driven by human ideas, beliefs. Is that science?

Me=Hans_Blix
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 22:59   #34
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Marx didnt believe. He reaseached untill he knew. Thats what we call science.
Marx was a pretty shitty scientist then.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 23:31   #35
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

marx was a scientist?

actually, perhaps i shouldnt post that, i seem to remember having an argument with marx about whether sociology was a science or not at the meet :/

never mind...
Unread 16 Jun 2005, 23:34   #36
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

An argument with Marx you say? :\

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 00:03   #37
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarina_Joy
An argument with Marx you say? :\
i think/hope he meant Mark
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 00:05   #38
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
actually, perhaps i shouldnt post that, i seem to remember having an argument with marx about whether sociology was a science or not at the meet :/
Of course it isn't. It can strive to become one, but at the moment it's at the stamp collecting stage.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 00:07   #39
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Of course it isn't. It can strive to become one, but at the moment it's at the stamp collecting stage.
well i pretty much said that it was a science in it's infancy, which is almost the same thing.

so meh.
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 02:51   #40
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I note a tone of hostility in your comment.

Anyhow, use science for profit, not research for it's own sake, if you want to make money.
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 13:43   #41
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Don`t do science.

I'm not doing science for the money...
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 18:35   #42
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
The science/not-science classification is stupid, but claiming that sociology isnt a science is generally just an underhand way of saying it should be "more like physics".
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 18:56   #43
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i thought it was an under hand way of saying 'its not worthy of academic study' :/
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 19:05   #44
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

Quote:
The science/not-science classification is stupid, but claiming that sociology isnt a science is generally just an underhand way of saying it should be "more like physics".
i think of something as a science if you can put pretty error bars in what you publish.

it seems clear that psychology and even social psychology are solidly in the realm of science, but sociology? seems closer to history than chemistry.
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 19:27   #45
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolis
i think of something as a science if you can put pretty error bars in what you publish.

it seems clear that psychology and even social psychology are solidly in the realm of science, but sociology? seems closer to history than chemistry.
Its a matter of degree, not either/or. Some disciplines are more 'scientific' than others, but attempting to draw a fence around a particular set and declaring them as 'real' sciences is going to give pretty arbitrary results - theres no sharp line seperating one lot from the other. Sociology is less 'scientific' than chemistry, but more 'scientific' than lit crit. Trying to force the social sciences into the same methodological mould as the natural sciences is probably a bad idea though.

The whole debate is largely a creation of the English language - it wouldnt occur in (eg) German since there you'd just refer to them all equally as wissenschafts (roughly 'an organised body of knowledge')

edit: Although I think Germans might have a seperate term for natural sciences, I'm not sure.

Last edited by Nodrog; 17 Jun 2005 at 19:37.
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 19:53   #46
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Its a matter of degree, not either/or. Some disciplines are more 'scientific' than others, but attempting to draw a fence around a particular set and declaring them as 'real' sciences is going to give pretty arbitrary results -
i can see a value in building a fence around scientists.
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 19:55   #47
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Although I think Germans might have a seperate term for natural sciences, I'm not sure.
'Science' as you study it at school is 'Naturwissenschaft'
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 19:59   #48
Nodrog

Ah, that makes sense. According to google, that seems pretty much equivalent to 'natural science' in English.

Apparently Geisteswissenschaft translates roughly as "human sciences" but I dont think they have any terms that lets one phrase the general "science vs not-science" distinction people make in English unless you explicitly specify criteria. The split in German is based on the objects being studied (physical world vs human world), not the methodology used in the field (and "Geisteswissenschaft" doesnt have the negative connotations associated with the English 'unscientific'/'not a science')

Last edited by Nodrog; 17 Jun 2005 at 20:06.
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 20:32   #49
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place

Engineering is science for money. Although our general reputation is below that of nerds and engineer isn't even a recognised term in britain.
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 20:35   #50
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nusselt
engineer isn't even a recognised term in britain.
my dad's been in NDT for 30 years and would probably disagree with this assertion.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote