User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 23 Jun 2004, 19:01   #1
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society
Broadband

Once again, I post a thread, where I am a lazy bastard, asking you lot to do all the work me, deal with it.

BTOpenworld has finally gotten too shit for me to stand, apparently they now want me to accept a 1GB a month download limit.

I do 4Gb a day.

Slight problem.

Anyway, I'm looking for ADSL.

No monthly limits.

1-2meg, would pay up to £35 for 1 meg, £50 for 2 meg.

Personal recommendations preferred to review sites which bore me very quickly.

Hugs and Kisses.
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 19:02   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Broadband

Nildram. £34 for 1Mb, £49 for 2Mb.

www.getadsl.co.uk

There probably are limits, but I've never hit them.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 19:08   #3
Deathjam|wee
Weeeeee

Deathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura about

plusnet no limits

goodly nicely service too

One load of gollums is enough for anyone.Ta
DM.
Deathjam|wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 19:36   #4
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

It's funny I mentioned 18 months ago(at least) certain isp's were going to be capping dl limits and everyone laughed.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 19:43   #5
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

I mentioned 18 months ago you were shit.
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 19:46   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen
It's funny I mentioned 18 months ago(at least) certain isp's were going to be capping dl limits and everyone laughed.
Nildram has a 150Gb download cap per month.

You'd have to be downloading constantly at 60kps or above to reach it.

If you're talking about other providers, whoopdidoo, you sure were ahead of the game there; I doubt you'll find anyone would stand up for BT or NTL.
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 19:51   #7
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of

I don't think my BT Broadband is capped.
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 20:09   #8
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeach
I was thinking that - however, I'm not up there atm so maybe it has. However, we were offerred 512kb broadband for £20 a month from BT, but a 1 or 2 gb/month limit which I'm sure we'd reach just on web sites (I assume they count as there's no way of tellin difference but I have no idea about this!)
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 20:22   #9
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Nildram has a 150Gb download cap per month.

You'd have to be downloading constantly at 60kps or above to reach it.

If you're talking about other providers, whoopdidoo, you sure were ahead of the game there; I doubt you'll find anyone would stand up for BT or NTL.
I'm on Rogers here, I get 200-300 kb/s download rates providing the sources I'm downloading from are fast enough, no limit, 12 quid a month.

Screw you guys :P

p.s. the connection makes NTL look as stable as Israel's peace plans.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit

Unread 23 Jun 2004, 20:28   #10
Quazi Starbucks
Heh

Quazi Starbucks is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah but you have to live in canada
Quazi Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 20:39   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I'm on Rogers here, I get 200-300 kb/s download rates providing the sources I'm downloading from are fast enough, no limit, 12 quid a month.
From October, 10mb/s download rates providing etc, £10 a month.
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 21:15   #12
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

hmm.. I get 1mb connection for the price of 512mb from BT as they nub'ed it :/

I don't plan to tell them anytime soon though (

ps. I'm quite sure, my bandwidth limits at 1gb per DAY, as well, I've dl-ed around 900mb a day consistently for the past 8 months, and the one time i crossed the limit, my internet crashed and I couldnt get on untol 00:01 the next day . (Luckily it was 23:15~) :/

pps. It might be that BT nub'ed (again)
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 22:02   #13
Evergreen
the merciless

I could go to 5mb but I'd have to buy a new modem.

Unread 23 Jun 2004, 22:40   #14
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeach
depends what service you have, the cheaper 512k has 1gb dl limit, but BT have an uncapped service too.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 23:11   #15
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

ah, BT nub'ed then.

Oh, the surprise.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 23:45   #16
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I use Virgin. £25 a month, no cap. I used to use Tiscali. £25 a month, no cap, shite and stupid technical support from somewhere in deepest darkest India. No contest really.

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 02:15   #17
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeh!!!!
depends what service you have, the cheaper 512k has 1gb dl limit, but BT have an uncapped service too.
Yeah, as far as I can remember its the BT Business Broadband Network Plus connection or something, which is like £65+ a week, which isn't cheap for a 512kbps connection! But its not me who pays the bill, so...
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 02:42   #18
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i get downloads of 2.1meg/sec at uni.

i laugh at your pathetic canadian infrastructure.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 03:01   #19
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

im with bt at home. have been for about 4 years (or whenever they offered the old engineer installed adsl). I have no cap limit on 512kb here. I download 24/7 and at maximum speed (reducing it only slightly to surf or needbe to play games).

As for a 1mbit connection i would recc F2S. was with them over the uni year at 35£ for 1mbit no cap. Worked like a charm
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 03:04   #20
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
i get downloads of 2.1meg/sec at uni.

i laugh at your pathetic canadian infrastructure.
universities in canada and the usa have similar speeds. janet is not representative of the uk infrastructure which is getting shitter in comparison by the day
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 07:25   #21
MrPeach

What do you people actually download 24/7 then?

Music and Films? I use the university network to grab a film maybe once every two days, but all day everyday just for personal use?
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 07:32   #22
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

TV Episodes are probably the highest consumption of bandwidth.

When you're talking DVD-Rips / decent TV-Rips then you could be talking 8-10GB per season per show.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 07:49   #23
MrPeach

Well you learn something new everyday. Cheers.
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 07:58   #24
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
Originally Posted by idimmu
sunday is the best person on the internet because he has the best stuff
I use an internet browser that I've put no effort into. It gives me the results I need and want.

You on the other hand.

Unread 24 Jun 2004, 08:24   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I could go to 5mb but I'd have to buy a new modem.
It'll take you quite a while to get to 100Mb.

(That's megaBAUD remember)
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 18:54   #26
KillGhost
1Up

KillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
TV Episodes are probably the highest consumption of bandwidth.

When you're talking DVD-Rips / decent TV-Rips then you could be talking 8-10GB per season per show.
Yep, i am a total tv-episodes freak. It takes A LOT of bandwith. Especially since i watch about 20 shows

btw i have a 8mbit/1mbit for 50 euro a month, but not english, it's in holland.
[Spore] HC
Former Public Relations Officer of QQ
KillGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 19:12   #27
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillGhost
btw i have a 8mbit/1mbit for 50 euro a month, but not english, it's in holland.

woah which one? At the moment I am babysitting a friend's house who has 8mb/512 which I absolutely love to abuse since I am with crap chello connection for that same price you pay. He pays around 90 euro though.
SilverSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 19:29   #28
KillGhost
1Up

KillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really niceKillGhost is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
woah which one? At the moment I am babysitting a friend's house who has 8mb/512 which I absolutely love to abuse since I am with crap chello connection for that same price you pay. He pays around 90 euro though.
www.speedxs.nl, i forgot to mention you have to pay 100 euro a year for administration costs. If you divide that by 12 you pay 58 euro and a few cents per month. Still really cheap though. demon internet also sells it cheaply for like 65 euro a month. Even compuserve offers it for 55 euro a month.
[Spore] HC
Former Public Relations Officer of QQ

Last edited by KillGhost; 24 Jun 2004 at 19:37.
KillGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2004, 08:45   #29
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

damn, not available in my crap village, 10km further in Dordrecht it is :s
Unread 25 Jun 2004, 16:12   #30
Sardaukar
Shallow

Sardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of light

get a proper job you pikey scum rids

one like mine where i work nights and have a 2mb leased line to play with

Got ntl 1mbit at home and its been solid as a rock for over a year, good rates and stable, little outage (3 weeks heh) but that was our fault for frying the modem at an afterparty when we were fked off our tits

8 Arrakiss 1:2:2 1869 26.837.330

Planetarion -> Psytrance Cmon guys its easy
Sardaukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jun 2004, 16:57   #31
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
damn, not available in my crap village, 10km further in Dordrecht it is :s
??

Thought you were ´dortenees´ Charlie! Or did you move to fkin Bleskensgraaf or summit
Unread 26 Jun 2004, 18:52   #32
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

moved in with my mom in 's-Gravendeel like a year ago :/