User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 Oct 2006, 05:21   #1
Jaric
King of kings

Jaric is an unknown quantity at this point
Galaxy Status

I'm sure it's been suggested before, but with multiple waves, it's really tough to spot new incs.
Why can't we make incs orange for first wave, then turn red for subsequent waves. so you always know what's new.

Or add a status box (reported/open/covered) you can tick for each inc?
Jaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2006, 05:28   #2
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of
Re: Galaxy Status

It's been suggested before, and it will probably be suggested again, and even at some point they may get around to coding it.... It is a good idea btw, and I am certain the powers that be are considering it. Cheers.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2006, 05:46   #3
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Well, those 'reported' and 'covered' tickboxes could be abused by people in your galaxy who tick it and then it doesnt actually happen. That's a bad thing, as it empowers spies significantly, as not only can they gather information from defence and such like, but also cancel people's defence.

As for a different colour, i'm not quite so sure. There is something to be said to maintaining some reason to be active, and making the galaxy status page requiring some attention at the start of each tick is one way of doing this.

To be honest though, i'm really resisting because i'm not a massive fan of orange . (it might get confused with fake attacks, perhaps?)
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2006, 08:44   #4
DunkelGraf
Drunken Boozer

DunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to behold

well, thats the interesting thing in waving a gal with multiple waves and etas. its not easy to cover without some effort.
why do people alway want pa to be changed the way that they have to do hardly anything to do well.

! [ToT]-KC !

Äscendäncy, we got Penis inside!
DunkelGraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2006, 09:15   #5
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

Perhaps it could be pink for the first wave, then it wouldn't be orange, and therefore wouldn't be as confusing to people thinking it was a fake attack.

I do like this idea, as on nights when you have over 80 incoming like my gal last week, spotting the new ones is tedious.

I'd still like to push for the PA Team to just put a page like gal status page in the Alliance section instead of the current Defence page which most Alliances don't even use anyway, since most defence is sorted out by defence channels and waiting for the galaxy members to actually report it, and hopefully not be retards and do it 2 min before the next tick.
Unread 22 Oct 2006, 10:30   #6
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt25man
I'd still like to push for the PA Team to just put a page like gal status page in the Alliance section instead of the current Defence page which most Alliances don't even use anyway, since most defence is sorted out by defence channels and waiting for the galaxy members to actually report it, and hopefully not be retards and do it 2 min before the next tick.
But the game would loose alot if it had an Alliance Status page, particularly one that is updated automatically like the Galaxy one is now. Because much of the point of being online and on IRC in alliances is to report and co-ordinate defence; if this was done even in the absense of members and their galaxymates reporting stuff, then i think there would be a big drop off in activity - people would think 'oh, my alliance will see any defence calls whether i'm there or not, so i'll keep working (or whatever)'. Whilst it is potentially good for individual people, i think it would pose a major problem to alliances who have to cover more calls with fewer ships (due to fewer people being online).

Having a manual tick box, whereby "report my incoming to my alliance", however, i think would be a good thing. It requires the activity (although not on IRC), whilst still making it a fairly efficient system. Most alliances have their defence handling system set up such that players just need to copy and paste right from their Galaxy Status page to report their incoming anyway; having a place for an alliance's officers (eg, DCs) to view it anyway would be good i think.
Unread 22 Oct 2006, 11:12   #7
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

One additional suggestion: make newly-appeared fleets have a * either at the beginning (before the target coords) or at the end (after the 'Attack' or 'Defend'). This would enable galaxy status parsers to recognise new fleets. Colour-based highlighting would also be useful (as suggested by the original poster).

Perhaps there could be some kind of filtering option too? e.g. 'Show only new fleets'.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2006, 11:30   #8
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

THe addition of an * would require additional coding on behalf of every alliance's defence handling systems; whereas a colour change wouldnt - yet it would still serve the purpose of displaying new and old fleets.

As an aside, it would pretty much prevent that tactic whereby you launch (eg) a FR fleet, and at the end of the tick you recall that fleet and launch a (ef) CO fleet, change the fleetnames such that they are the same, and then make it look as though your Frigate fleet is still inbound and the allaince sends the wrong type of defence (anti FR) instead of the anti CO. With a colour system, it would show as (pink ) again, as it is newly launched, and thus it might reduce the popularity and/or the effectiveness of this strategy somewhat.

Shame on me for only thinking of that right then .
Unread 22 Oct 2006, 12:54   #9
Clogg
SiNíng is a lifestyle

Clogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to allClogg is a name known to all

Why not just add a small box or something that tells you which tick the fleet appeared. Much easier then using colors.

It will have a signicant impact on some attack tactics though.
Unread 22 Oct 2006, 20:29   #10
rain

rain can only hope to improve

Why not a link with mili scan right to each incoming, best def ships and pefect amount of them in the left along with phone numbers from ur ally(on a second thought an authomated bcalc would be better), a recall enemy fleet button maybe?
It´s only your problem that you don´t have the tools to delete multiple reports ffs.
Get active, open your eyes, it´s part of the game.
PS: Noobs always lose. It was always like this. Life´s not always fair, especially to them.
Unread 24 Oct 2006, 08:13   #11
Jaric
King of kings

Jaric is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Well, those 'reported' and 'covered' tickboxes could be abused by people in your galaxy who tick it and then it doesnt actually happen. That's a bad thing, as it empowers spies significantly, as not only can they gather information from defence and such like, but also cancel people's defence.

yeah, very true UN. I think the colour thing would work though. As for others who have commented about not making the game too easy, I agree, but you'd still have to report everything. it would simply make it less of a boring chore having to check earlier status reports etc.
Jaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2006, 10:48   #12
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I would be happy with a column stating the tick it appeared.
Unread 24 Oct 2006, 12:13   #13
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

I think that makes it too easy though, especially when there aren't loads of incs.

It would remove the reward for activity, or for the victim being online to check his news.

rain pretty much summarised my feelings.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Oct 2006, 12:43   #14
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

just have next to the call "appeared tick: xx" rather than this colour coding crap :P

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2006, 10:30   #15
zokka

zokka has a spectacular aura aboutzokka has a spectacular aura aboutzokka has a spectacular aura about

Ok so there are two mp3 players one is simple called the zokka zip the other called shyne shambles 500 is complicated. With the Shyne shambles 500 you have to type the track you want to play using text buttons and you have to set the bpm and you have to do it every time a song finishes playing. It doesn’t take any skill do do those things but it is really annoying and unnecessary.

Skill is like when you wash clothes, let’s say person A had a Rain wash away 2000 and person B had a wash board. Person B would have to use his skill while all person A wouldn’t have to do much at all.

It doesn’t take any skill to report incomings.
zokka is offline   Reply With Quote