User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 11 Oct 2008, 11:56   #1
zokka

zokka has a spectacular aura aboutzokka has a spectacular aura aboutzokka has a spectacular aura about
Improving the user experience

Bare in mind we can tweak, resize or disable any menu if we choose to do so.
New menu and sidebar system:

Every time I mouse over a set of coordinates, from anywhere in the game. A small menu would appear with image or text icons of certain actions you could do mail,note,attack,defend,recall,au,jpg and so on.

Scans:
When you mouse over coordinates the system would search you and your alliance scans and show the last know AU scan in the sidebar. In the sidebar would appear left and right arrows. Also if the scan had already been done, buttons to previous done scans. Which you would then just click to view the latest scan on the planet. Besides each scan button a number would appear showing how many ticks before the current tick that the scan was done.

So instead of browsing the universe page, opening a new wave tab and scanning it, then switching back to the universe page. You could simply scan a planet from the menu by clicking one button. (You would not have to switch to the wave page and enter in coordiantes).

In the alliance Incoming hostile fleets page there is the ability to make a note on incomings. Which then anyone in your alliance can see. how about giving this ability to every set of coordinates.
Say you where teaming up on a target you could mouse over the coordinates make a note and share it with anyone on the same tick.

When browsing a list of scans it doesn't show roids or score which means you have to go look up the coordinates just to see the score and roids etc. This gets tedious quickly expecially in havoc so I would like to see certain information like score and roids besides every scan. I would also like to see this information on the scans themselves. The system would automatically update the planet with the latest score and roids etc.

Not sure If I like the fact that alliance scans or separate from your own wave page how about integrate them into the wave page, make them a different colour and give people the ability to hide them by clicking a button.

Scanning Galaxy Is now fine and good but why can't I browse galaxy's? Why not just implement this directly on the galaxy page?

Fleet Management:
I would like the ability to move ships by race.
select a prearranged number of ships which I could then move around.
Here is an example you could say set up an attack fleet of say 500k shadow and 10k illusions you could simply move that in your fleet page.

Attack and defend:
Mouse over a set of coordinates, click defend or attack select ships by type, name or custom fleet. Select Eta and just click send.
You could also mouse over the fleet name say on gal status. A new menu would appear with defend against and you would simply tick the ships or ship type or a preselected custom fleet you wanted and click send, no eta would be necessary.

Alliance:
Could we have it so the universe top 100 players and everywhere else show if they belong to your alliance, So far it only seems to do it on Galaxy's. which mean you have to browse to the galaxy just to see if he is in your alliance or not.

Com Unit:
I'm not asking for mirc but by any chance could we have a full screen version which can auto preform hings like invites? Also The Gc could be able to set it up so every member who opens it will automatically join the Galaxy channel.

Last edited by zokka; 12 Oct 2008 at 21:13.
zokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2008, 17:33   #2
Munkee
Dictator

Munkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to behold
Re: Improving the user experience

Scanning galaxy from galaxy overview page could be done with simple tick boxes of ones u want to leave out etc maybe?
Munkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2008, 21:21   #3
zokka

zokka has a spectacular aura aboutzokka has a spectacular aura aboutzokka has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkee View Post
Scanning galaxy from galaxy overview page could be done with simple tick boxes of ones u want to leave out etc maybe?
Yeah thats kind of how they do it on the wave page if you have the access.
Just think it be better on the gal screen than you could browse gals as well

I'm trying to break free off having to go to a wave page just to make a scan and the mission page just to lauch defence etc..
I mean if i wanted to lauch firefox. I can just click a shortcut on my quick start menu. I dont have to go thorugh about 4 folders just to get to it

But it seem people are more interested in the login questions than improving the actuall game.
Unread 13 Oct 2008, 05:34   #4
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

I for one like this set of ideas. Not sure what the coders will say, but it would be very handy not to have to flip between pages as much as we do currently. Also I've felt for some time that the "galaxy" page is incredibly mundane in today's browsers. I mean it's just a list, why not make it more dynamic, have real planet logos, and spinning asteroids and other things that give a pictorial representation of the planets. Of course it will always come back to time and money, but from a graphics standpoint PA could certainly use a face lift, not to mention the mouse over ideas zokka has mentioned.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Oct 2008, 06:16   #5
stay_posi
optimist

stay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to beholdstay_posi is a splendid one to behold

i also suggest videos of appocomaster crashing toy ships into eachother every time your attack lands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenoX View Post
Your attempts to be e-cool have been noted and laughed off as terrible.
stay_posi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Oct 2008, 09:25   #6
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by zokka View Post
that's kind of you to suggest. I hope your js is up to it, to make a model for me to copy!

Quote:
New menu and sidebar system:

Every time I mouse over a set of coordinates, from anywhere in the game. A small menu would appear with image or text icons of certain actions you could do mail,note,attack,defend,recall,au,jpg and so on.
I don't know about anyone else, but I'd find this the most irritating thing EVER. Firstly, that menu would be huge. Secondly, it'd appear when you put your mouse over it, and then disappear when you moved your mouse to select an item from it. Do you know how mouseovers work?
What you'd want, I guess, is something on the side bar that updated with the latest set of co-ords you mouseovered, only there's a big banner there .

Quote:
Scans:
When you mouse over coordinates the system would search you and your alliance scans and show the last know AU scan in the sidebar. In the sidebar would appear left and right arrows. Also if the scan had already been done, buttons to previous done scans. Which you would then just click to view the latest scan on the planet.
How big is your side bar? I think this is leading to a complete recode of all templates to support a sidebar first
Quote:
Besides each scan button a number would appear showing how many ticks before the current tick that the scan was done.
I'd prefer the tick the scan was done rather than ticks old.

Quote:
So instead of browsing the universe page, opening a new wave tab and scanning it, then switching back to the universe page. You could simply scan a planet from the menu by clicking one button. (You would not have to switch to the wave page and enter in coordiantes).
Kind of like how you can scan with one click on the galaxy page?

Quote:
In the alliance Incoming hostile fleets page there is the ability to make a note on incomings. Which then anyone in your alliance can see. how about giving this ability to every set of coordinates.
This would be called an arbiter.
Quote:
Say you where teaming up on a target you could mouse over the coordinates make a note and share it with anyone on the same tick.
This is a note system for attacks

Quote:
When browsing a list of scans it doesn't show roids or score which means you have to go look up the coordinates just to see the score and roids etc.
Why would I want to know asteroids or score of a planet? Where would I like to see it? If I am on an attack and JGPing all the defenders, the last thing I want is something popping up when I'm trying to see how many ships they have and when they launched their defence!

Quote:
This gets tedious quickly expecially in havoc so I would like to see certain information like score and roids besides every scan. I would also like to see this information on the scans themselves. The system would automatically update the planet with the latest score and roids etc.
I don't get what you mean. "Beside" ? As in, when you have a scan URL, afterwards you have the score and asteroids of the target planet? I disagree, I think it'd further clutter the interface and whilst it might be useful in your specific circumstances when playing havoc, I don't think having it showing these details everywhere a scan is being used will be found helpful by the majority of players the majority of the time

Quote:
Not sure If I like the fact that alliance scans or (are?) separate from your own wave page how about integrate them into the wave page, make them a different colour and give people the ability to hide them by clicking a button.
I assume you mean the list of scans that you've done beneath the actual wave section itself? It's possible for the search function, but there are several other parts of the alliance scan page that have alliance-only functionality.
You really seem a fan of buttons!

Quote:
Scanning Galaxy Is now fine and good but why can't I browse galaxy's? Why not just implement this directly on the galaxy page?
Possible, but it'll have to be carefully done. Already, the formatting breaks when you have all scan types done and they're in your alliance with a long planet name etc.

Quote:
Fleet Management:
I would like the ability to move ships by race.
only relevent to Zik and (occasionally) Etd, but even so I don't think Zik do this nearly as much as taking all of class X or targetting class Y?

Quote:
select a prearranged number of ships which I could then move around.
Here is an example you could say set up an attack fleet of say 500k shadow and 10k illusions you could simply move that in your fleet page.
So you want to have a list of 'prelisted' options, so some sort of list where you click "500000 shadow 10000 illusion" then click "from Fleet X" then click "to Fleet Y" or something?
I'm of the opinion this is having options just to have options - if you want to leave that in a fleet, then leave one fleet with that in?

Quote:
Attack and defend:
Mouse over a set of coordinates, click defend or attack select ships by type, name or custom fleet. Select Eta and just click send.
You could also mouse over the fleet name say on gal status. A new menu would appear with defend against and you would simply tick the ships or ship type or a preselected custom fleet you wanted and click send, no eta would be necessary.
So this is where your custom fleet comes in?
I think that this, like many other of your changes, is more havoc-based than otherwise. I'm not sure if the speed gained in anyway is offset by the interface changes required, especially down the right.

Quote:
Alliance:
Could we have it so the universe top 100 players and everywhere else show if they belong to your alliance, So far it only seems to do it on Galaxy's. which mean you have to browse to the galaxy just to see if he is in your alliance or not.
This depends partially on your alliance settings already! We can look at it though.

Quote:
Com Unit:
I'm not asking for mirc but by any chance could we have a full screen version which can auto preform hings like invites? Also The Gc could be able to set it up so every member who opens it will automatically join the Galaxy channel.
This is something we do need to look into, but currently we're using a free Java setup. I think we may have to look into something more extensive, but a Java applet is pretty fixed width. Auto-functionality means user-specific setups, which is something this java applet doesn't support. Most people quickly migrate to some sort of IRC, too :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
I for one like this set of ideas. Not sure what the coders will say, but it would be very handy not to have to flip between pages as much as we do currently.
In some cases, yes. Being practical, I can't see any way of successfully implementing some things without adding needlessly-complicated user interface additions that might well cause problems with mobile browsers, etc.

Quote:
Also I've felt for some time that the "galaxy" page is incredibly mundane in today's browsers. I mean it's just a list, why not make it more dynamic, have real planet logos, and spinning asteroids and other things that give a pictorial representation of the planets.
Partly because no one in the PA Team does graphics, and no one has ever volunteered for more than about 2 pictures to do graphics for us. I've been trying to track down someone who will do a 3-d galaxy / galaxy status setup for 3 years. The same person who did the Round 12 (?) skin and portal made the following ideas in 2005/2006:
http://www.appocomaster.co.uk/PA_uni_dynamics17mx.swf
http://www.appocomaster.co.uk/PA_uni_dynamics6.swf
http://www.appocomaster.co.uk/PA_uni_dynamics6mx.swf
http://www.appocomaster.co.uk/PA_uni_dynamics6mx2.swf

However, I haven't seen him in about 2 years!

In terms of more personalisation of the galaxy screen Jamie is in full support of having planet-specific popups with logos (and even player-specific popups).

Quote:
Of course it will always come back to time and money, but from a graphics standpoint PA could certainly use a face lift, not to mention the mouse over ideas zokka has mentioned.
Basically, we don't really have a graphics person. If anyone is willing to volunteer to do any of the above suggestions (and, depending on OMAC's view, they may have to sign a print out of an NDA to Jolt/ OMAC and send it to them), then we'll be happy to incorporate it into the game. If not, we're kind of stuck.

Last edited by Appocomaster; 13 Oct 2008 at 09:34.
Appocomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Oct 2008, 20:59   #7
zokka

Quote:
Originally Posted by zokka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster View Post
that's kind of you to suggest. I hope your js is up to it, to make a model for me to copy!
I Aint a Pro like you.

Quote:
I don't know about anyone else, but I'd find this the most irritating thing EVER. Firstly, that menu would be huge. Secondly, it'd appear when you put your mouse over it, and then disappear when you moved your mouse to select an item from it. Do you know how mouseovers work?

What you'd want, I guess, is something on the side bar that updated with the latest set of co-ords you mouseovered, only there's a big banner there .

First of it only be a tiny little menu consiting of little icons, Expanding only when needed. On some pages you have links besides coordinates of scans you could have it automatically scan fetch the latest scan on those too.
Not sure exactly what the big banner is and how it effects the layout someone show me a picture?
What you mean by the menu disappear I've seen plenty of javascript/css menus and the menu never disappear when I hover over it.
Quote:
How big is your side bar? I think this is leading to a complete recode of all templates to support a sidebar first
TBH I think we need some new templates badly a lot of the template don't seem to work very well depending on what browser/platform you are on

Quote:
This would be called an arbiter.
?? this option is in game already, I'm just suggesting we expand it so it can be used everywhere.
I mean you have an option to mail all defenders on a certain tick. Why not let people mail all attackers as well?

Quote:
This depends partially on your alliance settings already! We can look at it though.
Thank you, while your on it could you put links to the scans like on the galaxy page?

Quote:
So this is where your custom fleet comes in?
I think that this, like many other of your changes, is more havoc-based than otherwise. I'm not sure if the speed gained in anyway is offset by the interface changes required, especially down the right.
Maybe not for complex fleets but for something simple like 1 banshee it would defiantly be quicker as you would not have to move around ships.
All you would do is type 1 banshee and the system would rearrange your fleets and send to the planet .
On the mission page as well you could but a little text box underneath each fleet. You could type the ship number and name and click send which would effectively transfer all your ships to base and transfer back one banshee to the fleet in question.

Quote:
This is something we do need to look into, but currently we're using a free Java setup. I think we may have to look into something more extensive, but a Java applet is pretty fixed width. Auto-functionality means user-specific setups, which is something this java applet doesn't support. Most people quickly migrate to some sort of IRC, too :-)
I just feel that relying on third party apps and maybe having to read a tutorial just helps to put people off, No matter how well it is written.

Last edited by zokka; 13 Oct 2008 at 21:52.