User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 7 Jul 2004, 12:56   #1
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Discussion - How important is a good start?

In the past, you needed those early roids to maintain a decent growth. The difference between 1 roid and 0 roids when scanning could be a place in the top 10.

Now though, is it as important?

Could you get a top 50 position after having a lousy start (ie: not being there for the first 48 ticks, or getting your first fleet owned in an attack?)?

I like the way there's more chance to do well, as the growth isn't as exponential as it used to be. But is the beginning still as important? Are all the top 50 current players people who did very well on their early raids and build-orders?
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 12:59   #2
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Discussion - How important is a good start?

Im sure a top500 planet could get into top100 within 1-2 weeks.
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 19:46   #3
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't login till sunday afternoon. I'm climbing fast and if all continues to go well I will finish in the top100. Which would be my first time. And I don't play that active.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 19:47   #4
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't login till sunday afternoon after the start on friday. I'm climbing fast and if all continues to go well I will finish in the top100. Which would be my first time. And I don't play that active.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 19:51   #5
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

There's an ND member hanging around the t100 now, who missed the first 6 days due to a ****ed PC.
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 21:41   #6
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

It's not very challenging to be top10/50/100 even if your online - what, 8~hrs a day - not a lot. All you need to stay is a good buddy group+preferably a good gal, if you don't have that, you'll be waved. A lot. I like how activity isn't as needed, just coming on at certain times, etc. I mean, there are so many different ways to come out of prot - eta -2 done + fi/co // have fr/des // HCT 3 + initing till tick 72 or so, etc etc. All of these ways are perfectly fine to give you a good boost. It is also, no longe rneccessary to roid every single night to gain those extra roids, as everyone in the toop50 would prolly be earning approx. the same amount due to HCT. Furthermore, it doesn't take much for people to catch up in roiding.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 22:11   #7
Shev
So what?

Shev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to beholdShev is a splendid one to behold

With the amount of score available for early roiding and the removal of luck in the startup, it's become less important than the first few attacks.

[RaH] [Mercenaries]
Shev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2004, 22:40   #8
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point

Dreamy started one week late or something last round, finished top 10.
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 04:36   #9
Jykke
Estharian

Jykke has a spectacular aura aboutJykke has a spectacular aura aboutJykke has a spectacular aura about

It does seem to be different from the past, do not know how much the actual game changed
this round now, but as i remember my Pax round I played the beginning of the round over 500-
600 ticks as a scanner for eclipse, my rank was something as humongous as 2500. Then
however I think it all started as someone came and took those little roids i had something strange
snaped in my mind, and i started playing more seriously and ended in top 50.
#49 12 3 9 Rising Sun The Past Ages 4,203 3,004,522 1.02% 0.00% Eclipse
Marginal eh? but still

So It seems the start matters jackpoo in this new system

[Blue Tuba] -> [Fury] -> [Eclipse] -> [1up]
rounds that I have played; 3-10 and 16.
....."Never Defeat,
.....Never Despair,
Welcome To Esthar"
Jykke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 15:59   #10
Kileman
Commander

Kileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to behold

... being able to mine all your roids is the hard part
________
List Of Mercedes-Benz Engines Specifications

Last edited by Kileman; 24 Feb 2011 at 22:16.
Kileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 16:30   #11
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future

to get in the top50 i doubt the start actually matters. without being in the winning alliance/block you dont have a real chance to end there.

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2004, 07:44   #12
Auro
I AM OSCAR WILDE

Auro is an unknown quantity at this point

I spent a week and 2 days exiling from gal to gal and went all the way from rank 240 or so to 1200, but I've climbed 200 ranks in 2 days so I say anything is possible, especially since there are so many people who don't get def
Unread 9 Jul 2004, 14:30   #13
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin
to get in the top50 i doubt the start actually matters. without being in the winning alliance/block you dont have a real chance to end there.
Actually not hard at all tbh
Unread 9 Jul 2004, 15:04   #14
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
In the past, you needed those early roids to maintain a decent growth. The difference between 1 roid and 0 roids when scanning could be a place in the top 10.

Now though, is it as important?

Could you get a top 50 position after having a lousy start (ie: not being there for the first 48 ticks, or getting your first fleet owned in an attack?)?

I like the way there's more chance to do well, as the growth isn't as exponential as it used to be. But is the beginning still as important? Are all the top 50 current players people who did very well on their early raids and build-orders?
I missed day 2 to day 8 due to my comp being down - i was 2400th. 6 days later i was 109th.

If I hadn't have missed those key 6 days i'm sure i'd be a lot higher than i am now, but my position was nowhere near as damning as i thought it might be.
Unread 9 Jul 2004, 15:13   #15
Lord_Thunderball
Playing Speedrounds

Lord_Thunderball is on a distinguished road

A top5 Finish is almost impossible, cause there will always be someone who grows from start till end. But it ain't that important anymore to have a good start. Biggest advantage of a top20 start is less incoming, less stuff to do, more sleep etc.. But if you start late, you often juicy, being juicy doesn't need to be a problem if you are active and can defend yourself with m8's or our alliance.
Unread 11 Jul 2004, 20:02   #16
Teh_Necro
Daddy.

Teh_Necro has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Missed first 48 hours, and worked my way to top 10, good start helps, but its not the end of ur round if u don't get it.
Unread 12 Jul 2004, 01:51   #17
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough

I liked it better when planning your start was important.
I liked it better when every resource mattered, trading in gal was allowed in protection and sending 200 E to a galmate for 1 more amp made his day.

After having a perfect start I played sim planet last round. It was dull, I didn't see any point in paying to grow more.
Unread 12 Jul 2004, 06:26   #18
Blazde
Elysium

Blazde is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the reasons it appears you don't need a good start anymore is that there's so many less players. With 20-50 times less planets, a top100 finish of old equates to a high top10 finish now. And if you want one of those then every tick really does count, you can't afford to miss research, you need to be attacking nightly and daily, and you need some luck too. (Ofc you can always subsitute a bit of farming instead of some of those ).

If you're merely finishing top50 (equivelent to a very mediocre top1000 - top2500 finish of old) you can indeed miss 48 ticks, or even a week or two so long as you crack on with it when you do start.
Blazde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2004, 10:06   #19
Helix

Helix will become famous soon enoughHelix will become famous soon enough

I will say that in PaX, AxTera/ArLock for WP started out as a scanner, was a very small planet most of the start of the round. Then he started to roid like mad, landing on tons of defence, and since PaX was a round rampant with fake defence fleets, he called a lot of bluffs. He ended up being like the third planet to get to 6000 roids because he could attack those juicy targets that were too small for the people who started out fast. WP was able to protect his roids for the rest of the round. And he would have finished top 20, if he had not been stupid and started logging into a friends account while his friend was away.

Anyways, the point is that it is not necessary to start out well to do well. However, a fast start will help guard against slumps. For the past 2 rounds I have started out fast and then slumped for a long period of time, but those roids which I gained quickly allowed me to keep my value pretty close to the top people, which makes it easier to climb back up the ranks.

There are certainly benefits to going roid crazy early on, but sometimes you can do just as well by doing the opposite, and going roid crazy at the end. Also, with the new XP system, it can even be of benefit to LOSE asteroids, as it will lower your value and allow you to more easily capture more asteroids, increasing your XP.
Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2004, 19:32   #20
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

Being smaller and starting late is actually a benefit in a lot of ways now.

I am somewhere around top 200, and ppl smaller than me can cap pretty easily, wheras I have quite a few problems.

I think, if i started a new planet ni two weeks time (when schools out so I dont ahve to teach), I could get the panet into top 80 by end of round. Im not convinced I will get my current planet there.
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote