User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 10 Sep 2003, 22:05   #1
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Non shuffling madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner on the portal
There will be no shuffle

It has been decided that we will NOT shuffle the universe.
It was not the easiest of decisions, but the impact of the few galaxies who managed to sneak in one or two extra friends is considered to be small enough to skip a shuffle.
This problem was fixed when all galaxies had 4 or less planets, and some were just friends who ended up together by chance.
The impact of doing a shuffle would ruin many galaxies who have already started out nice together, and therefore we have decided not to shuffle.

With hopes of understanding

Spinner[/b]
If there was a way of getting together with friends then either we should all be allowed to use it or noone should. There is no middle ground.

Are they so few as to have no impact? Then why not code a function that sends SMS to me and 3 friends when either of us have incoming. Just 4 of us, surely it won't hurt anyone, it won't have any impact. It would give us the same benefit they have, someone they trust to watch over them.

I haven't a clue who the people are that have ended up together or what they did to do it, but if they did it in a way that can't be duplicated by everyone else then they have an unfair advantage.

Might as well play Monopoly with Bill Gates using our RL bank balances as starting cash.
Unread 10 Sep 2003, 22:09   #2
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
Re: Non shuffling madness

Quote:
Originally posted by Chax
If there was a way of getting together with friends then either we should all be allowed to use it or noone should. There is no middle ground.

Are they so few as to have no impact? Then why not code a function that sends SMS to me and 3 friends when either of us have incoming. Just 4 of us, surely it won't hurt anyone, it won't have any impact. It would give us the same benefit they have, someone they trust to watch over them.

I haven't a clue who the people are that have ended up together or what they did to do it, but if they did it in a way that can't be duplicated by everyone else then they have an unfair advantage.

Might as well play Monopoly with Bill Gates using our RL bank balances as starting cash.

HEY EVERYBODY, MR OPTIMISTIC'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Unread 10 Sep 2003, 22:11   #3
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
well when you pay 15 ****ing euros for a game like this you expect crap like this not be able to happen
Unread 10 Sep 2003, 22:32   #4
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
I got my cousin in my gal, tho it was cooincidental.

I activated him, and saw he were in my gal. What was strange tho was that he came in my gal, and still gals before me in coords had 1 and 2 less players. I thought maybe they changed it so that if one activates somoene they come in your gal, and expected there to be a shuffle. Ah well I dont mind really. Will be bad to see uber gals tho :/

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2003, 22:43   #5
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
It all just might be a hoax to get people to upgrade their accounts now.

round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2003, 23:01   #6
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
lol, never thought of it that way

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2003, 23:30   #7
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSmoke
well when you pay 15 ****ing euros for a game like this you expect crap like this not be able to happen
What about complaining because his login name had to be Chax1 instead of Chax?

I mean c'mon, some people need to take their head out of their a**, get away from the computer, breathe some fresh air and GET A LIFE
Unread 11 Sep 2003, 00:08   #8
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Supernova9

[/b]

Isn't that a different subject ?
Unread 11 Sep 2003, 03:53   #9
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Supernova9

I mean c'mon, some people need to take their head out of their a**, get away from the computer, breathe some fresh air and GET A LIFE
What about complaining about someone complaining?

I'm a whiner, I admit it, it's a flaw I have. you however are a hipocritical whiner, and that sir, is way worse.
Unread 11 Sep 2003, 08:55   #10
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
Judging from my gal the past day/s....

...I want a shuffle ffs
Unread 11 Sep 2003, 09:22   #11
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
To be quite frank, Chax, you've been sounding more and more like a whining gimp that should be ignored lately. I get the distinct feeling you would've complained either way, or at least found something else to bitch about if there had been a shuffle.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2003, 09:25   #12
General1
Rah's def wh0re

General1 will become famous soon enoughGeneral1 will become famous soon enough
BLA BLA BLA
Rd4 ---> 246 24 10 Silverwolf of Limburg [TFD] [Cell] [NFU]
Rd5 ---> 34 11 19 The great Returning of me [Cell] [NFU]
Rd6----> 6 25 10 Chappa'ai of NOX Homeland (Whitebull) [Silver BC]
Rd7----> 18 18 1 Klaj Demon of Gateway from Hell [RAH]
Rd8----> 36 5 6 1 More TIME of Free Traders Inc [RAH]
Rd9----> 16 2 10 Clan McIntosh of Stardust Guardian [RAH]
Rd9.5 ---> 15 9 9 Nightshade of Sherwood forest [RAH]
Rd10 ----> [RAH]
General1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2003, 12:11   #13
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Not shuffling is stupid as **** though, it's ensured I won't be paying.

Freedom !
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2003, 18:59   #14
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Hicks

Freedom !
Constructive Criticism++
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2003, 19:58   #15
Narziss
Mr. DaySleeper

Narziss is an unknown quantity at this point
yeh FFS.....I wanna have a shuffle immediately....My Gal is active like a stone!

grrrr....that means I have to be awake 24/7
Round 9: [ROCK-HBC]
Round 9.5: [ROCK]/[Wolfpack]
Round 10: [=***=]-> my last round

IRC-Channels: #Pack #Rock #TSU #Planetarion #Ministry
Narziss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2003, 21:43   #16
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:

Freedom !
Wasnt it you who has been bagging R10 from the beginning, hrashly criticising it at every oppertunity?

For some reason, i really dont believe that this shuffle was the final straw - from what i think i remember you saying, you had very little or no intention of playing this game, and even if you did then you might just whinge the entire time.

Thus, in my eyes at least, your post has no consequence.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2003, 22:09   #17
das_experiment

das_experiment is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Freedom !

u wont pay??

u gonna leech a account from a 'm8'? ;O
das_experiment is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 05:15   #18
King
Here and Not Here

King can only hope to improve
Re: Non shuffling madness

Quote:

Actually anyone could have done what they did if they realized it. Quite simple actually and breaking no rules.
King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 07:27   #19
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Quite irrelevant king, since whatever they did can't be done anymore now, making the playing field unlevel.
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 10:56   #20
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Newbie
Wasnt it you who has been bagging R10 from the beginning, hrashly criticising it at every oppertunity?

For some reason, i really dont believe that this shuffle was the final straw - from what i think i remember you saying, you had very little or no intention of playing this game, and even if you did then you might just whinge the entire time.

Thus, in my eyes at least, your post has no consequence.
Bagging = Pointing out it's flaws and why people won't like it ? Sorry for not towing the party line.

I was planning to play (Ask Focht, I rejoined Eclipse. Ask BlueArmy we startd to build a battle group) however since I've moved into a new house last week I haven't been able to pay yet as I don't have a phone line something which I'll remedy over the weekend. Since everyone else seems to have had the chance to build uber galaxies there's no way I'll be able to pay before Saturday and to be honest the option of being in John Newbie's galaxy isn't very appealing, hence I'll spend the money on something more interesting.

What's 1 more player er ? 1499 to go \o/
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 11:01   #21
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Quote:
Originally posted by ParraCida
Constructive Criticism++
Well what would you like to say Parra ? it's rather obvious why not shuffling is stupid you my as well ahve private galaxies. I'm sure you don't need me to explain it for you.
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 11:33   #22
jleedham

jleedham is on a distinguished road
damn i would be so nice to have just one round start with out people bitching about the smallest little things!

those people bitching about being in a **** gal and the moment as so wanting a shuffle, what is there to say that you will not end up in another galaxy full of people who are in active as well? nothing!

and if you actually read the post properlly hicks it is pointed out that it is only a few players who have managed to get themselves delibratly into galaxies with there mates meaning that there are very few or next to no "Uber galaxies"

also i think that people should realise that if they cannot play the game and enjoy it unless they are in a "uber galaxy" then really they are not very good players!

through out my playing career i have often had inactive gals abd have still managed to play well and enjoy myself by having the help of my alliance mates and making a point of making new friends thru the gal members that u do have and also thru the other people in my paralel.

Jsar

Have You Growled At The Badger Recently?
jleedham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 11:37   #23
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Quote:
Originally posted by jleedham
and if you actually read the post properlly hicks it is pointed out that it is only a few players who have managed to get themselves delibratly into galaxies with there mates meaning that there are very few or next to no "Uber galaxies"
It says Spinner only thinks there is a few that could mean 50% of the accounts with his past track record. I know of at least one group who have formed a quasi private galaxy I'm sure there are more.

Either way I don't see why any one should get an unfair advantage over anyone else. Nor do I see why having a shuffle is such a problem ? Surely it's simply a matter of clicking a button ?

Also I live in Guildford \o/

Last edited by Hicks; 12 Sep 2003 at 11:54.
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 12:44   #24
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold
Well, tbh If they see nothing wrong with fixing galaxies, then I dont know how they can complain if people resort to account swapping to even the inbalance created by people setting up groups already which gives them a hell of an edge.

I know of at least 7 groups of 4, and 1 group who has 4 from the selective activations and 1 by chance, making there galaxy 1/2 private.

And ofc as no rules are broken its prefectly fair to use any flaws in the game design, which means should there be a way to gain extra score then its perfectly legal and nothing will come of it?

not that im particularly bothered I just find it hypocrytical for the creators to preach fair play and a balanced playing feild and then to allow the game to be made uneven because of a flaw in the code they should have known would have been abused and then ignoring it because of the flames they think they will get from people in galaxies which are pre-selected.

I wonder what there views will be once they are being flamed in 2 months for allowing this in the first place, as I can pretty much garauntee those galaxies which have 40% or more hand picked will have a huge advantage over the normal galaxies, in terms of defence as well as activity.
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 15:23   #25
zek132

zek132 is an unknown quantity at this point
I totally agree with Morden!
Ok, people who have got into nice galaxies are all hapy now, and would not like to have a reshuffle as it would be very unfair on them. But how about the people who didn't get into as nice galaxies as they wanted? It would be much more fair on them to not have a reshuffle, and i think there are many more of people like that. A reshuffle would make it much more fair for all of the players.
Basically what happened was that the galaxies were filled one by one at first. That was until the time, most galaxies had 4/5 people. So there was pleanty of chance to get the people you wanted in your galaxy.
Reshuffle all the way I say!
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 15:29   #26
Rommel

Rommel is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by zek132
I totally agree with Morden!
Ok, people who have got into nice galaxies are all hapy now, and would not like to have a reshuffle as it would be very unfair on them. But how about the people who didn't get into as nice galaxies as they wanted? It would be much more fair on them to not have a reshuffle, and i think there are many more of people like that. A reshuffle would make it much more fair for all of the players.
You just contradicted yourself there but i agree with you that there should be a reshuffle.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Sep 2003, 18:21   #27
zek132

zek132 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, that post was typed rather quickly. Soz
Also, if you have no reshuffle, then why not make a 1 free self exile. So people could get another chance at it. This would not allow hopping + would make everyone more happy. I don't care how much all the following exiles cost, but one free one would be fair!
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 05:51   #28
logamus

everyone whines that private gals ruin the game so they shove random gals down our throats. now everyone complains that people are taking advantage of randoms. for some there will just be no pleasing.
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 12:42   #29
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Ah bejesus.

If there had been a shuffle, people who knew each other would have ended up in the same gals after it in a few places.

And then the creators would be evil there, and have it planned, wouldn't they?

They can't win.

It's already random, why did we need to randomise a random universe?
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 16:51   #30
Kåre Willoch

Kåre Willoch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Tomkat
Ah bejesus.

blablabla......

Ahem, did you get the point of this thread at all ?????
The people in question have bunched together 4 by four, some examples are known, pretty many are likely to be unknown, people always take advantage if the system lets them.

Do you call that random ? Then do a reality check sir !
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 17:00   #31
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Ah bejesus.

If there had been a shuffle, people who knew each other would have ended up in the same gals after it in a few places.

And then the creators would be evil there, and have it planned, wouldn't they?

They can't win.

People would've landed together, but I can pretty much garauntee that they would'nt have made semi private gals by abusing the shabby code work the creators did for the starting galaxies.

Why shuffle a Random Universe? maybe because it isnt random?
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 19:35   #32
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Morden

Why shuffle a Random Universe? maybe because it isnt random?
It is 95% random, with a few exceptions that you mentioned above.

Most of the universe did not know who they would be in a galaxy with. Which is random, as opposed to the private option of galaxies.
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 20:22   #33
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Quote:
It is 95% random, with a few exceptions that you mentioned above.

Most of the universe did not know who they would be in a galaxy with. Which is random, as opposed to the private option of galaxies.
it was cut off when gals reached 4, so lets just say for the sake of being lazy only 20% of the people who signed up around that time syncronized there signups, thats around 200 people, say 2 per galaxy that makes 10 galaxies
which is 10% of the playerbase, and the real amount is closer to 15-20% of the playerbase so do you still think it is random?

(at a rough guess there are around 40 galaxies which are not entirely random with 2 or more private players)

Still think its Random? Im not entirely bothered tbh im not playing fully this round due to college and have a lot of friends who gained from this exploit, but quite frankly I think the situation was handled poorly with the old "we'll get complaints from people who abused the bug so lets ignore it and pretend it doesnt upset the balance of the game"
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 21:55   #34
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
heheh

makes you wonder how long it would have taken a thread the opposite of this one to spring up had there been a shuffle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 22:46   #35
Tomkat

Re: heheh

Quote:
Originally posted by Mushroom
makes you wonder how long it would have taken a thread the opposite of this one to spring up had there been a shuffle
Idd.
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 23:32   #36
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Re: heheh

Quote:
Maybe it would have taken the exact amount of time, but that doesn't in any way mean I'm wrong.
Unread 14 Sep 2003, 23:49   #37
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: heheh

Quote:
Maybe it would have taken the exact amount of time, but that doesn't in any way mean I'm wrong.
All i'm saying is it's a matter of opinion.
We piss a certain amount of people off no matter what we do, nobody can deny that.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 00:35   #38
Chax
Pepsi bottle

It shouldn't be a matter of how many people are pissed off if they do A or B. It should be a matter of making it fair. Pissing off cheaters shouldn't besomething to be afraid of.
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 00:45   #39
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

sigh.

that's the problem with arguments on here.
I'm now going ot point out those people who were saying at the mention of a possible shuffle "please don't shuffle, we've just got to know each other ffs! "

You'll then try and tell me that these people were a minority and we're simply being unprofessional in not listening to the needs of most of our customers.

I would then come back by trying to say that you can't judge a minority in this entire community any better than i can. We just have to go with what seems to affect the least amount of people.

You would then come back saying that we're affecting the most amount of people by leaving a minority of 'cheaters' in place.

I would then retort by saying that if we shuffled to deal with a minority, the majority would be affected - the aforementioned people would be pissed off that a few people had caused them such annoyance.

You would then retort with the idea that we might have ruined everyone's game by leaving those few 'cheaters' untouched.

By which point i would have lost the will to live and gone to bed...

since i've just gone through the entire argument in this post, can we just leave it instead? That is, rather than arguing that you wouldn't have said what i've said you'd have said... or something like that.

George Bernard Shaw
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 01:21   #40
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
don't we have this very same discussion every round and did noone get the idea yet to announce a shuffle before signups start so ppl don't try to get together with their friends and ppl who land in the same gal don't work on geting to know each other ?
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 02:19   #41
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by at0mic.c0w
don't we have this very same discussion every round and did noone get the idea yet to announce a shuffle before signups start so ppl don't try to get together with their friends and ppl who land in the same gal don't work on geting to know each other ?
Yes, exactly. PA's policy of not announcing their shuffle plans in advance guarantees a "no win" situation. Those who guess there will be a shuffle and ignore their galaxy mates will be annoyed if there isn't a shuffle, and those who guess there won't be a shuffle and organize their galaxies will be annoyed if there is a shuffle. Of course, this is in addition to the complaints about unfairness if there isn't a shuffle, or if it's done too soon.

You'd think that after so many rounds that they'd have figured this out by now. :duh:
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 05:22   #42
CamelToe
You Know I'm Right

CamelToe is infamous around these partsCamelToe is infamous around these partsCamelToe is infamous around these partsCamelToe is infamous around these partsCamelToe is infamous around these parts
don't tell Chax to shut the **** up. wake up, smell the coffee, and realize who you're talking to

Don't act like you weren't thinking the same thing...

you should stop posting on these forums as you're CRAP
CamelToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 07:22   #43
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
Yes, exactly. PA's policy of not announcing their shuffle plans in advance guarantees a "no win" situation. Those who guess there will be a shuffle and ignore their galaxy mates will be annoyed if there isn't a shuffle, and those who guess there won't be a shuffle and organize their galaxies will be annoyed if there is a shuffle. Of course, this is in addition to the complaints about unfairness if there isn't a shuffle, or if it's done too soon.

You'd think that after so many rounds that they'd have figured this out by now. :duh:
You're not counting the people who would shout "YOU SAID YOU'D HAVE A SHUFFLE!!!!!!!11111223$%£%%%" as there would doubtless be.

Shuffle = "Aw ffs, we have to get to know everyone and ticks have started now too! ffs you really know how to run a game i'm leaving "

No Shuffle = "Aw ffs, you've left those people who managed to beat the system and get together in! ffs you really know how to run a game i'm leaving "

Saying there is, then not having one = "You lied to us! ffs you really know how to run a game i'm leaving "

We seriously can't win!

George Bernard Shaw
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 09:17   #44
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by CamelToe
don't tell Chax to shut the **** up. wake up, smell the coffee, and realize who you're talking to

The 'without-any-competition-what-so-ever-most-whinging- person-EVER-around'?

heh
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 09:26   #45
Tomkat

Quote:

We seriously can't win!

Whatever you do there'll always be someone who isn't content with how it went. It's human nature, our selfishness to want the best possible scenario for ourselves. If something COULD have been in a better position, we will complain that we didn't get it.

WELL I FOR ONE AM CONTENT WITH HOW THE UNIVERSE IS, SHUFFLE OR NOT. AND NO, MY GALAXY IS NOT ONE OF THE HIGH ONES.

Now stop whinging, and play the game.
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 11:38   #46
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Saying there is, then not having one = "You lied to us! ffs you really know how to run a game i'm leaving "
i think the idea was that if you have announced a shuffle u actually shuffle the universe.
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 14:38   #47
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
You're not counting the people who would shout "YOU SAID YOU'D HAVE A SHUFFLE!!!!!!!11111223$%£%%%" as there would doubtless be.
Well yeah, if you announced there would be a shuffle and didn't do it, then people would be upset. I thought the downside of that scenario was so obvious that I didn't bother to mention it. :/

Now, how about this scenario: Before signups open you clearly announce there will be a shuffle and--here's the tricky part--you do it! Or, for an interesting variation: you clearly announce before signups there will not be a shuffle and then not do it!

Announcing your plans ahead of time and doing them means your customers don't have to try to guess what you're going to do (and then getting upset when they guess wrong). Of course, those who didn't read/understand/believe the announcement might be upset, but if you've done your job properly then they only have themselves to blame.
Quote:
We seriously can't win!
Not with that attitude you can't. The 'we-can't-win-no-matter-what-we-do-so-why-do-anything?' attitude only works in civil service.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 18:40   #48
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

Shuffle = "Aw ffs, we have to get to know everyone and ticks have started now too! ffs you really know how to run a game i'm leaving "

No Shuffle = "Aw ffs, you've left those people who managed to beat the system and get together in! ffs you really know how to run a game i'm leaving "

We seriously can't win!

Wait, you're working on the assumption that if PA announced that there would be a shuffle, there's a better than decent chance that there wouldn't be one? That's not good at all.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 18:44   #49
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Quote:
Originally posted by Scoot951
Wait, you're working on the assumption that if PA announced that there would be a shuffle, there's a better than decent chance that there wouldn't be one? That's not good at all.
No no that's not what i said at all! What i said was going by what i read from the posts above that! It was purely theoretical.
Yes, there is the point that we could just announce a shuffle and then definitely have one, but i can't personally answer why that doesn't happen so i won't attempt to.
I'm just going to stop posting now, because anything i say will be taken down and used in evidence against me.

George Bernard Shaw
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 19:19   #50
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Quote:
I'm just going to stop posting now, because anything i say will be taken down and used in evidence against me.
You said last night that you'd stop posting and you asked me to stop replying, which I did. You however have continued to post, so why should we believe you this time?

You'll be back with a witty reply to this I'm sure. And if you are't I'll just delete this post to look less of a fool.