User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 24 May 2003, 00:05   #1
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Cicada is an unknown quantity at this point
have they actually started beta testing r10 yet...

was just wondering, we havn't seemed to have heard anything about it..
Unread 24 May 2003, 00:33   #2
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society
afaik no, but I know for a fact that they HAVE started alpha testing r10.
Unread 24 May 2003, 09:47   #3
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Too slow

As always they dont' start early enough.
Unread 24 May 2003, 11:29   #4
RealJames
Retired at the top

RealJames is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bashar
afaik no, but I know for a fact that they HAVE started alpha testing r10.
We talking things like rebootings servers?

"That's what the internet's for - slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards, J&SBSB
RealJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2003, 12:11   #5
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Too slow

Quote:
Originally posted by Chax
You can't really test something before it's been coded. If I'm mistaken, then please point out where I can download Unreal Tournament 2005 for beta testing.
Unread 24 May 2003, 16:38   #6
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all
the coding is taking too long, which he means, unless I'm mistaken.
Unread 24 May 2003, 20:42   #7
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by RealJames
We talking things like rebootings servers?
lol, not. A PA-team only alpha I believe. It is coded mostly, or at least to the point where it is playable, I think it is just ironing out bugs, and getting it to the stage where a beta is necessary.
Unread 25 May 2003, 10:21   #8
RealJames
Retired at the top

RealJames is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bashar
lol, not. A PA-team only alpha I believe. It is coded mostly, or at least to the point where it is playable, I think it is just ironing out bugs, and getting it to the stage where a beta is necessary.
Who will I need to cyber?

"That's what the internet's for - slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards, J&SBSB
RealJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2003, 10:40   #9
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Re: Re: Too slow

Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
You can't really test something before it's been coded. If I'm mistaken, then please point out where I can download Unreal Tournament 2005 for beta testing.
Either you know where I'm coming from or you don't. Going around being clever only shows your ignorance.

The way I see it you don't need a single line of code to start testing.
Unread 25 May 2003, 11:38   #10
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Re: Re: Too slow

Quote:
The way I see it you don't need a single line of code to start testing.
Testing a game without having written any of it? I'm sure the game companies would love to hear your bright ideas. Think of the possibilities: We could already be checking if Quake 5 is going to be worth it!
Unread 25 May 2003, 11:43   #11
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Re: Re: Re: Re: Too slow

Quote:
Testing a game without having written any of it? I'm sure the game companies would love to hear your bright ideas. Think of the possibilities: We could already be checking if Quake 5 is going to be worth it!
There are 2 things that mostly affect Planetarion.

1. Stats, formulas, galaxy composition, travel times.
2. Alliances reactions to the above.

For neither of these do you need the actual game running. Now I'm sure you wouldn't call it betatesting, but that is just pedantery.
Unread 25 May 2003, 11:50   #12
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Too slow

Quote:
For neither of these do you need the actual game running.
Round 10 is going to be packed with new stuff. New options, new formula's, new tactics, etc. Which will all have an influence on the game. You can't test Round 10 features in a Round 9 environment.

It's not a matter of simply slapping in a new formula here and there, changing a galaxy size and swapping some travel times around.
Unread 25 May 2003, 12:12   #13
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Too slow

Quote:
Round 10 is going to be packed with new stuff. New options, new formula's, new tactics, etc. Which will all have an influence on the game. You can't test Round 10 features in a Round 9 environment.

It's not a matter of simply slapping in a new formula here and there, changing a galaxy size and swapping some travel times around.
Well, how would I know? There's too little info released to be able to make a judgement. And that is my point.
Unread 25 May 2003, 12:30   #14
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Too slow

Quote:
Well, how would I know? There's too little info released to be able to make a judgement. And that is my point.
Information on parts of Round 10 has already been released here and there.

As for making a judgement: How about doing that with everyone else in the preview that has been announced to take place before Round 10?
Unread 25 May 2003, 12:33   #15
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
...or indeed in the beta test when it happens. I believe it was said that anyone with a r9 account will be "invited".

and how you get from
Quote:
to

Quote:
There's too little info released to be able to make a judgement.
God only know.
Seems like another of the many compulsive moaners to me.
Unread 25 May 2003, 13:45   #16
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Quote:
Originally posted by SYMM
...or indeed in the beta test when it happens. I believe it was said that anyone with a r9 account will be "invited".

and how you get from

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

to

quote:

There's too little info released to be able to make a judgement.

God only know.
Seems like another of the many compulsive moaners to me.
You can't see the connection? They release too little information. They wait too long to release the information. They aren't letting us discuss things before they're set in stone.
Unread 25 May 2003, 13:50   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
You can't see the connection? They release too little information. They wait too long to release the information. They aren't letting us discuss things before they're set in stone.
Two questions.

1. How can you comment on how much information they were releasing when from your previous posts you didn't appear to have read anything that they had said at all?

2. When have the users EVER had a say in the format of PA? How many people do you know had an input before the start of round 1, which is the only comparable time?

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 25 May 2003 at 21:11.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2003, 18:07   #18
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri

2. When have the users EVER had a say in the format of PA? How many people do you know had an input before the start of round 1, which is the only comparable time?
If PA just said: 'F*ck off, we're going to do this ourselves' that would be a thing its possible to relate to.

However; they *do* run Beta tests: which is are so badly organized the actual playing doesn't help one bit. The only usefull input they get is from the actual boards (where in theory a lot of smart persons are assembled), and they promptly ignore it *each* time.

His complaints about beta-testing are thus sound in the context that beta-testings are actually being planned. Argueing that they're a waste and he thus shouldn't point out what needs to be done to make them work is just plain silly.

As Chax said; you basically have to 'know where he's coming from'.. he's been complaining about this a long time ....
Unread 25 May 2003, 18:15   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The Beta Tests have never been about this kind of thing; they've always been about 'should we have this limit on attacking, should we have clusters or parallels, should this ship be better?' and not on the overall game dynamics, which haven't changed since the game was formed.

I don't care if he's complained about betatesting ever since Spinner first thought 'hey, lets make this game!', that doesn't mean his comments are correct in this context.
Unread 25 May 2003, 18:46   #20
Psi_K
Canadian to the Core

Psi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I don't care if he's complained about betatesting ever since Spinner first thought 'hey, lets make this game!', that doesn't mean his comments are correct in this context.
Nor does it mean they're wrong.

And the beta tests HAVE dramatically changed the game.
Our current race system was NOT made by the PA creators. Sadly, only a few know this.
Other implementations have also came about during beta testing.
If beta testing was just for pure ship stats, it might take 5 mins running some matimatical testing, and say what needs changing.
r18-19 [eXi]
<Intermission>
r31-32 [CT] - r33-35 [DLR] - r36 [VsN] - r37 [???]
r45-46 [FAnG]
Psi_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2003, 19:12   #21
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Psi_K
And the beta tests HAVE dramatically changed the game.
Our current race system was NOT made by the PA creators. .
That's still a cosmetic change.

ps.

You can't run the tests mathematically, so don't try to suggest that you can.
Unread 25 May 2003, 21:08   #22
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Quote:
Two questions.

1. How can you comment on how much information they were releasing when from your previous posts you didn't appear to anything that they had said at all?
When I don't appear to anything.. huh? I'm sorry but you'll have to elaborate on that. I haven't a clue what you're saying so I can't answer it. Some verb missing there?

Quote:
I think the betatesters have had a say in a lot of things every beta round. Spinner does listen to the betatesters and has made quite a few changes to things like galaxy size, clustersize, ship stats, scoring, and some mechanics. Several changes that I've suggested have been implemented, so what you're talking about I don't know.

My main complaint is as ever the timing. What happens is before the new round starts there are a lot of things that need doing but no time to code them because the start date is getting nearer. They need to get the betatesting going earlier to avoid such things. And as I've stated in other threads when I say betatesting I include time on boards with game mechanic discussions, not only playing a working game. Ideally a betateam for next round should be in place when the current round starts.
Unread 25 May 2003, 21:11   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
When I don't appear to anything.. huh? I'm sorry but you'll have to elaborate on that. I haven't a clue what you're saying so I can't answer it. Some verb missing there?
The word is read, and I think I have my answer, because you haven't been reading what I've been saying, judging by the next part. Maybe you just don't understand.

Quote:
I think the betatesters have had a say in a lot of things every beta round. Spinner does listen to the betatesters and has made wuite a few changes to things like galaxy size, clustersize, ship stats, scoring, and some mechanics. Several changes that I've suggested have been implemented, so what you're talking about I don't know.
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Those AREN'T CHANGES IN THE GAME MECHANIC.
Unread 25 May 2003, 21:11   #24
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Define game mechanics please
Unread 25 May 2003, 21:13   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Define game mechanics please
You know, the important things, like 'capturing roids', 'building ships' and 'having a single planet'.

The overall important stuff, not the details.
Unread 25 May 2003, 21:19   #26
Chax
Pepsi bottle

You aren't making sense

This isn't about designing a new game, this is about testing Planetarion.

If what you're saying is just another way of rubbing everyones noses in the fact that r10 is a different game and that you know more than the rest of us I don't see how that makes my argument for more information sooner any weaker.
Unread 25 May 2003, 21:22   #27
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Quote:
The word is read, and I think I have my answer, because you haven't been reading what I've been saying, judging by the next part. Maybe you just don't understand.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Those AREN'T CHANGES IN THE GAME MECHANIC.
OK, you haven't said anything in this thread prior to the post I was answering there, so my failure to read what you've said is certainly not a failure on my part. How am I supposed to take into account later writings when replying to your first post here?
Unread 25 May 2003, 22:00   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Re: You aren't making sense

Quote:
If what you're saying is just another way of rubbing everyones noses in the fact that r10 is a different game and that you know more than the rest of us I don't see how that makes my argument for more information sooner any weaker.
I don't know anything that everyone else reading the announcements doesn't know.

I'm not privy to some 'secret knowledge'.

I'm just going by what they, and other people, have said.
Unread 26 May 2003, 21:29   #29
DarkAngel
Nothing Is Forever.

DarkAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
couldnt we have left the answer at "no" ?
Unread 26 May 2003, 22:09   #30
Waku
a simple pe0n

Waku has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I really hope it will start after the summer

#newdawn

Don't Trust Anyone

Proud to have served with the guys of 2:10 in PaX

We are the Elysium Support Center
Waku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 May 2003, 22:38   #31
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Quote:
Originally posted by Waku
I really hope it will start after the summer
Why do you hope that? is it realism or are you just not familiar with the concept of shooting for the stars?

I wished the beta for r10 started when r9 started ticking

I really hope it will start when 9.5 starts ticking.
Unread 26 May 2003, 23:42   #32
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Well, Having been promised a spot in the beta team by Spinner (hahaha! I wonder if that’ll come true!) I can say that I have not received word of it starting already, nor have I heard of a planned start date.

And Chax, as you said above beta teams should have been organised at the beginning of the current round – with round 9.5 beginning soon then there is an opportunity for them to adhere to ‘Chax’s Directorates’ ™, though I am a cynical bastard and I wouldn’t be surprised if the testing was still going to be late.

Also, as Planetarion has no end date when the round begins, it is slightly more difficult to plan such things. /me points at R3 etc.

Waku: is your sig spelt incorrectly – Turst = Trust?
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2003, 11:08   #33
Yeggstry
Connection Established...

Yeggstry has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Two questions.

perhaps u didn't read about the shuffle info and the fact that ppl are complaining about it meaning that spinner may have changed his mind???
R5 - 36:10:16 (Armada)
R6 - 32:16:13 (ViruS)
R7 - 26:3:14 (Infection LT/ViruS TO) (#364 planet, #34 gal)
R8 - 4:3:1 then 3:8:4 (ViruS TO)
R9 - 47:10:5 (ViruS Gaming Community (VGC) Tech Op)
R9.5 - 23:6:4 (VGC Tech Op) (#462 planet)
R10 - 5:2:3 then 5:3:1 (ViruS/Eclipse, #419 planet), Portal Coder
R11 - retired from PA
Yeggstry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2003, 11:11   #34
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
ffs yegg, did you read any of the posts?
By "format" of PA, it has already been made clear that he meant the foundation game mechanics, not the surface-look of the game.

If this is a personal thing against mr jigglypuff, then take it elsewhere. If you just can't be bothered reading threads, then go to GD or something.
Unread 29 May 2003, 11:26   #35
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
That's still a cosmetic change.

The page GFX was a cosmetic change, yes. Making 4 races with 12 unique ships each is far from "cosmetic".

I'd guess with whatever Spinner has in mind for real coding changes (specifically the combat system), they have been focusing on...and if the general page layout was reasonably complete last I saw, one would expect to see the beta get fired up fairly soon.

The estimated duration of r9.5 (6weeks) should be an adequate period of time to run the beta. Personally, I wouldn't try to do it in less than a month due to the fact so much has changed, and it's not a matter of just messing about with ship stats like previous rounds.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2003, 13:09   #36
Chax
Pepsi bottle

for reference...

my old start beta now thread