User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 13 May 2004, 10:43   #1
davidb
[Iron-Pirates & Babes]

davidb is an unknown quantity at this point
Market Research

Right folks in need of a little bit of help here
Just been made assistant manager at my local pub and basicly we need to get more cash in the tills and punters through the door,regulary.

My question is what type of events would attract you to go to a certain pub,
i.e Live bands, quizes etc

or any sort of ideas that prehaps you would like to see at your local pub ?

Any constructive feedback good or bad greatfuly received
Thanks
davidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2004, 10:45   #2
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future
Re: Market Research

cheap white beers.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2004, 10:47   #3
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Need some information about what sort of pub it is first.

Cool and modern or cosy and traditional.
Big or small
What sort of area are you in? Predominantly students/working class/middle class/pensioners
Drinks promotions, or "standard" pub prices where you are.
Selection of drinks? Normal sort of pub selection, or something a little different - current specialities?
Who are you trying to attract?
Unread 13 May 2004, 10:48   #4
davidb
[Iron-Pirates & Babes]

well yeah that aswel think we all would go for that,
also what type of drinks would you normaly have if you were in a pub, bottle beer,alcopops,wine,shorts,beers etc
Unread 13 May 2004, 10:52   #5
davidb
[Iron-Pirates & Babes]

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2
Need some information about what sort of pub it is first.

Cool and modern or cosy and traditional.
Big or small
What sort of area are you in? Predominantly students/working class/middle class/pensioners
Drinks promotions, or "standard" pub prices where you are.
Selection of drinks? Normal sort of pub selection, or something a little different - current specialities?
Who are you trying to attract?
Bit modern,young management but with a traditional feel.

smallish pub only can hold about 200 odd people if there is say a live band on

Working/middle class people

Normal selection of drinks with alcopops and things like that, as for on the pumps again normal realy, fosters carlsberg etc

The town the pub is in does have a lot of young people drinking, i.e 18-30 so we would be more appealing to that type of crowd,there isnt a uni in the town or realy near by so prices of drinks etc arent realy low id say they were about avarge

)
Unread 13 May 2004, 10:58   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

1. Cheap drinks.

2. Lax ID policy.

3. Non-fascist door-men.

4. Don't play overly loud music, ffs. If you're going to play music, at a reasonable level so I can actually speak to people I'm with. Don't try and be a night club.

5. Some kind of drink offers (E.g. x shots for £x) for when I want to binge drink with friends.

6. Not overly pretentious.

7. Perhaps some kind of cheap-food deal if this is the first pub of the evening.

That's about it. I'm not a massive pubber though, by any means. Also don't see that many live bands in pubs, although when I do it's a slightly different type of evening.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2004, 11:10   #7
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Have a quiz on atleast once a week. Might sound like a bit of an old persons thing, but me and my mates go along to our local every Sunday/Monday to the pub quizes and have a laugh. Tends to bring in at least an extra 60-70 people to the pub that wouldnt be there on a normal night, so well worth it.

Its got to be a pretty good quiz though otherwise it just becomes a mess and not worth turning up for, oh and preferably free. The one i go to employs an external person to come in and run it, with his DJ set etc for a music round.

Live football always brings people in on week nights for Champs League or mid-day Saturday for Premiership matches etc.
Unread 13 May 2004, 11:11   #8
davidb
[Iron-Pirates & Babes]

4) deffinatly agree with you on this one i hate it when i cant even talk to my friends when we are in a pub and we have to shout

1) 5) i agree on this one i would say our prices are about right but unfortunatly its the brewry that decide on our prices not the management.

7) yup good idea with the food somthing simple before you start your night off is good for you suppose just sumthing like a burger or chips etc

p.s Would you be intrested in having food at a pub before you hit the town on a night out
if yes what sort of food/snacks would you be intrested in ?
Unread 13 May 2004, 11:17   #9
davidb
[Iron-Pirates & Babes]

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Have a quiz on atleast once a week. Might sound like a bit of an old persons thing, but me and my mates go along to our local every Sunday/Monday to the pub quizes and have a laugh. Tends to bring in at least an extra 60-70 people to the pub that wouldnt be there on a normal night, so well worth it.

Its got to be a pretty good quiz though otherwise it just becomes a mess and not worth turning up for, oh and preferably free. The one i go to employs an external person to come in and run it, with his DJ set etc for a music round.

Live football always brings people in on week nights for Champs League or mid-day Saturday for Premiership matches etc.

Yeah we have the full package from sky which does give us a bit of edge over some pubs as we have also got the premiership + channel which not a lot of pubs around tamworth do have.

We use to do quize nights on a sunday night,it went ok it was free to enter and the winning team also got 8 free pints out of it so there was an incentive to win aswel

i agree with the french maids bit but i dont look too good in a outfit like that,sorry

If you are into your indy-rock/band type would you go to a pub if you knew a live band were playing?
Unread 13 May 2004, 11:50   #10
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think you should steer clear of the live bands thing.

Go for drink offers. 2 alcopops for £3, that kind of stuff.

Happy Hour as well.

Do you have Snooker or Darts there? Some kind of tournament could be set up.

What you need is a slight edge that makes people go "Where should we go tonight? Let's go there, because xxxxxx". Cheap drinks is the usual incentive.
Unread 13 May 2004, 11:51   #11
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Fit barmaids is the other.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2004, 12:04   #12
davidb
[Iron-Pirates & Babes]

ok fit bar maid or french barmaids got it dante,thanks

We do have a pool table and we also have a fuzzball table so prehaps a championship or sumthing like that could be set up, good idea

we do have pool,football,paintball teams aswel which do bring in a few more people after there games.

i know cheap drink/fit bar maids is the main incentive for any people to go for a certain pub on say a certain night or all the time but would there be anything else?

Thanks for this guys lots of good feedback cheers carry on !
Unread 13 May 2004, 12:10   #13
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Doesn't sound like the sort of pub where a band would fit in quite.
Pub Quizes (esp free ones) are always good. Give away something like £10 drinks voucher for the winners, £5 for the runners up and 4 bags of crisps for the losers. (That's what my local at home does anyway)

Surely although you have to buy the beer from a specific brewery at their prices there's still flexibility at your end to do promo's or is it actually owned by the chain, rather than by the landlord?

Food before going out - nothing too poncy.
Burgers, chips, jacket potatoes, some vegetarian equivalent, a cold option, maybe some sort of pasta (bolognaise or lasagne or something) all priced reasonably cheaply and served until 19:30 or something.

You got a pool table or anything?
If so, is the pub generally busy during the day, or could you do something like offer free pool from opening until 5pm during the week to attract people in?
Unread 13 May 2004, 12:17   #14
Catwoman

Catwoman is a jewel in the roughCatwoman is a jewel in the roughCatwoman is a jewel in the rough

how about an internet cafe pub, we could combine pa and beer, with topless barmen would be better but if not just pa is fine
Unread 13 May 2004, 12:23   #15
davidb
[Iron-Pirates & Babes]

yeah does have a pool table again tis priced about right its £1 a game but some other pubs do 50p a game,not that many in my town that do have pool tables so i would think to make the most of it we would need to lower the prices a bit prehaps.

Free pool during the day could work but there isnt normaly many people in during the day to say make the most of it, but still this is something we are trying to change

agree with the food option like you said something simple i know i wouldnt want a 4 course meal before i hit the town.

the pub is owned by the chain unfortunatly i think we might be able to get them to lower the prices a bit but i think that would only be for say spesific events,

As for Happy hours this is something ive been on a campaign for in my pub before i was even working there,
now im assistant manager this is somthing that i will have the power to change hopefully

Live band actualy fit in quit well we get a lot of people in when we advertise this, normaly though we have it on a sat night which is a busy time anyway so im thinking about trying to get it moved to say a sunday or thursday night instead

Keep it up more views welcome !
Unread 13 May 2004, 12:38   #16
davidb
[Iron-Pirates & Babes]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman
how about an internet cafe pub, we could combine pa and beer, with topless barmen would be better but if not just pa is fine

You might have a point with this one, prehaps a computer or something like that could work,dunno how much money it would all cost though to set somthing like that,

p.s forgot to mention the pub also has a jukebox which does get a lot of people's nights going if the right songs come on prehaps if we already have a jukebox exstend it abit and have say a constant microphone there so we can turn it into a kareokee (sp) ??
Unread 13 May 2004, 12:40   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The computer is a bad idea. It's too easily damaged, in a multitude of ways.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2004, 12:50   #18
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Have a barbershop quartet.

Or the viennese philharmonic.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2004, 12:57   #19
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
The computer is a bad idea. It's too easily damaged, in a multitude of ways.
But if you had Jonny living in your town, you'd have it in use 24/7 and money flowing over the bar for the same time...

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2004, 13:04   #20
davidb
[Iron-Pirates & Babes]

cheers for the info guys its gave me some ideas and that to what we can do or as some cases may be not do,

any more thoughts on what you would like to see happen in your pub let me know
Unread 13 May 2004, 13:31   #21
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

Some type of quiz machine?

Also, if you offer free drinks to GD me and Stew will drop by at some stage as Tamworths near home
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2004, 14:07   #22
davidb
[Iron-Pirates & Babes]

Yeah got a quiz machine gets a fair bit of use is normaly good for the girls when the lads are playing pool,

were bouts do you 2 live then,come visit me
Unread 13 May 2004, 14:15   #23
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

strict exclusive door policy (not dresscode related, just a general no riffraff/townies/shit students/whatever thing), cheap drinks.

Try and have a bit of class regarding your clientele, and youll be in the top 2% of pubs almost automatically (although you probably wont have many customers)
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2004, 14:24   #24
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Try and have a bit of class regarding your clientele, and youll be in the top 2% of pubs almost automatically (although you probably wont have many customers)
Great plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidb
and basicly we need to get more cash in the tills and punters through the door,regulary.

Live music once a week on one of the quieter nights should get more punters in, nothing rocky, maybe an unplugged open-mic night or at least an acoustic house-band. And a projection screen for the Euro 2004 matches.
Unread 13 May 2004, 14:32   #25
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Rumad has a spectacular aura aboutRumad has a spectacular aura about

Your orginal question depends on your clientel.

My gf's mom and dad go to a pub which has live music mainly oldies, but its packed all night and the sales must be superb.

Younger pepleprefer more moder surroundings and disco type music, hough tribute bands can do wel with this type of crowd.

Its always horses fr courses - I like somewhere that serves decent food, a decent pint and is a relaxing night out. I am 30 now though s getting past it
Former legion th0ng master
Proud to be Independent
Rumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2004, 14:37   #26
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidb
My question is what type of events would attract you to go to a certain pub,
i.e Live bands, quizes etc
A few pubs in my area make a killing off live bands. They have converted an upstairs room so that it can hold a stage then put a place for serving drinks in the corner. Once a night then, normally Friday they will have a local band there who are not too old, 17-20say. These will then bring all their mates and as long as you are lax on ID it will go around all the schools quickly and you will be packed every week.
Unread 13 May 2004, 14:58   #27
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarak
Some type of quiz machine?

Also, if you offer free drinks to GD me and Stew will drop by at some stage as Tamworths near home
Seconded!!!

Rag - I thought you said a while ago you dont drink? I'll have your free drinks and you can drive my car home
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2004, 15:10   #28
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

If you go for live bands, try to attract from scenes that are big, but not bands that are big, like if you have a punk evening, try to find one or two big DIY bands,(Those play almost for free at cool places, and at not-so-cool places they take very little money.), and find bands from around you to attract friends of them and so on. I would not have much live music, maybe once or twice in a month, or at least try different genres. The genres depends on your clientel, of course. And remeber, political DIY bands are cheaper while still giving a positve message! (Stay clear of nazi'es of course, not just beacause they're filthy swine, but the local antifascists might just smash your windows or something)

A TV is a good thing, but don't just use it for footy. I love sitting with a beer when I'm watching Simpsons. There was a pub around the corner from where I usually hang that had a TV, and it was filled up everytime Simpsons was on. They made a lot of cash, and now that their TV is gone, nobody goes there anymore.

Pool tables are a nice thing, but try to have them cheap/free. Other things like Dart and stuff is a cool thing too, it gives people something to do on the "boring" nights. As does a quiz.
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2004, 15:33   #29
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

what about airhockey? I've never been in a pub with an airhockey table.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2004, 15:35   #30
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Any of the following make me go to a pub:

Cheap (and nice) Drinks - decent hand-pulled beer is attractive. A nice cocktail list might make you stand out from the other pubs too.

Cheap and available pool - my local has pool for 50p a game during the week and £1 a game evenings and weekends. Also a killer pool tournament every friday. Darts is also fun sometimes

Nice range of decent food - food offers are good for lunchtimes, 2 meals for £7 etc.

Sport on TV - advertise this quite a bit and get a portuguese (or whatever) channel for next season and you can show premiership games at 3 on a saturday. drinks offers during the footy will bring in punters.

Comfy seats and plenty of space - especially if you just want a quiet pint or two.

Not too loud music and variation - you want to be able to chat to people and noone wants to see (or hear) tarted up old women dancing in a pub to the music they just put on the juke box.

A decent pub quiz - a decent prize is good, free drinks or cash etc. stick the questions on the big screen and noone even has to call them out so it doesn't disrupt anyone elses night. My local does 4 a week - General Knowledge, Sport, Music and TV.

Friendly staff - noone likes rude bouncers or barmen/women and pedantic management piss me off too. Fit barmades are a must

Hope they help so where's the pub? I want to go there after these suggestions are implemented

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2004, 15:45   #31
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
get a portuguese (or whatever) channel for next season and you can show premiership games at 3 on a saturday.
Great plan, except its illegal in this country!
I kno some pubs still do this (the Hadfield used to but stopped this season) so maybe the costs are outweighed by the gains but I doubt it.

Best Saturday afternoon was in Tenerife - sun outside, pint of Bitter in hand, loads of teles - some with one match (from Greek TV), one with another (from Arabic) and the other with Gillette Soccer Saturday! Ahh bliss!
Unread 13 May 2004, 16:02   #32
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yeh - I live opposite the Hadfield, didn't realise they'd stopped the live saturday afternoon footy... ah well.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2004, 16:41   #33
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Yeh - I live opposite the Hadfield, didn't realise they'd stopped the live saturday afternoon footy... ah well.
Was this the local you were on about?
Unread 15 May 2004, 15:05   #34
davidb
[Iron-Pirates & Babes]

cheers guys/gals im gonna be taking some of these ideas to the brewery hopefully soon.

person who said about the air hockey table,not a bad idea at all that we have a fusseball table but i do like the sounds of air hockey !
Unread 15 May 2004, 15:07   #35
Stew
Made of Twigs

Wot about givin me and Rag free drinks?! We like that plan best!
Unread 15 May 2004, 15:08   #36
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Market Research

Free beer.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2004, 16:09   #37
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

How many pubs in your area?

Start a Pool League or a Darts League with other pubs where the matches are played on quieter nights.

That will pull your blue collar money earning punters in who need that wee bit of competition to assert themselves in their world.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote