User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 19 Sep 2003, 08:55   #1
Jurgen
The Ğragon

Jurgen can only hope to improve
PaX

Is this finally the last round of Planetarion as we know it?

PaX is maybe the worst online game I've ever played... It is kinda asking a lot and promising a lot, but giving nothing.
Attacking is almost useless since u can't cap anything and even if u could u can't mine those roids that u cap. Idea about getting score out of killing ships is good, but why make it possible to overgrow others like before (atleast in value)... an active players needs that opportunity.
The game is pretty easy for new players, but there is only like 1/1000 of the tactics left that was in r9... that's very depressive for the old players (who in fact r 96% of ppl who play planetarion). I know like 50 players who have quitten cause of beta was so sucky... Was rank1 in beta for like 3 days that I played (2min ticks) and attacked like 5 times and sent defence 0 times.
It's fun that a good players is pretty easy to take down if u've got ~10 guys to do it. Makes sum challenge, but would also be fun if that big guy who is more online than those 10 guys together could be atleast 4 times bigger than they r also.

conclusion...
Attacking doesn't work, Shipstats r sss-hite, Activity is prettymuch no use.
I could have prettymuch teh same score that I have now with logging in 4 times a day for 2mins... it's killing the community... there is no community for ppl who r online a couple mins in a day. And if u kill the community pa will die for sure.
Ingame alliance feature seems pretty good and fun... with the fact that u can give name to your fleet that seems to be the only good change in pa compared to last round.

Thank god I've got enough stuff to do with my alliance so that I don't quit pa right away. Without the fun of politics and intel with community ofc. I would have prolly quit already. Like 50% of the old players seem to think like I do.

The fact is... most of money pa is getting is from old players... u lost like 30% of those cause of the big changes. Whynot instead of trying to get newplayers with so very lil success try to impress the old players to keep playing. There is like 2000 of those u could get back also. (or maybe a couple free rounds to get those new players).

P.S. THEY HAVE EVEN REMOVED TEH DELETE BUTTON!
The Forsakenlands - The Ğragon
Together we stand divided we fall.
--
Used to be a Wolf - When you once see a Wolf you are already surrounded.

Last edited by Jurgen; 19 Sep 2003 at 09:25.
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 08:57   #2
Jurgen
The Ğragon

And 1 of the most important things!
WHY DID U DRIVE SLIEKAS AWAY?!
Pa lost maybe best planet player in it's history cause of Pa Crew refused to give him free account after winning round 9.
I would have payed him... I know Webangel offered to pay for him and many others, but he refused cause of the thought that he deserves an account for free.
I totally agree with him.

P.S. I have no idea if he has anyway decided to play, but if not it's totally cause of pa crew.
--
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 09:04   #3
Darky

Darky is an unknown quantity at this point
GO JURGEN GO!!!
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 09:31   #4
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute
tadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ty for showing you are clueless about PaX =)

for a start:

this is the freaking start of the roids.... no **** roids are not being transferred that much, small attack fleets means they can take lil amount of roids home (omg! we can't grow fast @ start). THAT ISN'T THE POINT OF PaX. Value doesn't mean anything.... let go of it, value isn't the thing you should worry about. And atm most ppl will have the same score or close to eachother cuz there aren't any big battles or tactical ops yet (attacking buildings/ships/roids) once that comes in plave u will see things will change alot.

But no..... you expect everything to be delivered at you from tick 1, which ofcourse isn't gonna happen. once the battles become more complex with the different targetting options and bigger fleets you will see that you can gain loads from 1 attack.

And about the bigger and more active guy........ you are still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy to much into old pa..... let it go.

Big guys where always taken down by groups of other players in the past (massive attacks etc) same will still happen in PaX, but it just will be different.

I must say its pwetty sad u draw all your conclusion from playing a beta round (which obviously wasn;t finished yet if you played 2 min ticks) and from not even a week of real playing where none of the options that u have are shown yet.

And in the shiptast and tactics........... There is ****loads of more tactics possible when attacking with the tactical options. But i guess in order for you to understand that it must be availeble at tick one or else its useless

Just give it some time and i think things will prove you different if played right.

P.S.. about Sliekas... i find that pwetty odd indeed. Don't really get why he isn't given what he was promised as winner of that round
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 09:46   #5
Jurgen
The Ğragon

wandows
if u've got time... check this log
http://privat.bluezone.no/hendrix/logforjurg.txt
and U might understand what I'm talking about.

And yes I don't claim I know everything about pax... but I think I know summit.
First beta my galaxy ended rank1 (wasn't playing 2 active thoz).
Second beta was rank1 with 2minticks for 3 days or so.
And now been all the time in top100.

I dunno if that's how u category of knowing the game in pax thoz.
Read the log and if u want a conversation about it pm me in irc. ;-)
And I for sure hope u r right and we'll get ****loads of new players for r11, but if game is like I think it is atm. I wont be playing prolly.
(pax I'm 2 tighten to my alliance that I would never quit... well maybe if liv tyler asks me to)

hum that log didn't work
the last lines were missing... I'll just paste
<Zo0f> They still can, but other people can be close behind :|
<Jurgen> indeed.. if u r awake 4 times a day for 4 mins u wont be part of the community
<Jurgen> or if u r that community is ****e
<Zo0f> yeah :/
<Jurgen> so they don't only kill pa... they kill also the community
<Jurgen> and if the community dies pa is dead
<Zo0f> Im annoyed that its encouragin people to spend less time on
<Zo0f> Overall. I get more from PaX than i did PA. But i dont think its nessarily good for alliances etc. And i dont think it will last past this round.
<Zo0f> I know ill be on a lot anyway. But its clearly having effects on others.
<Zo0f> Like the auto launch :|
<Zo0f> grr
--
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 10:11   #6
PDTemplar
WAFFLES FFS!!!

PDTemplar is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with most of you Jurgen. The game atm is just to boring. Dont even have to worry about clusteralliance and the politics that go with that. So thats another community issue thats gone.
And i think if pa goes on like this that this will definitly be the last round of the game. A universe with only about 2k planets is just way to small for a game like this. Last round it was about 10k if i remember correct and that was what i think is the minimum to be able to have a decent war-game.

Proud to be Xanadu BC
PDTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 10:20   #7
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
It's amusing to see how people are first claiming that PaX is rewarding activity more than before, and now you are claiming the exact opposite. In case you hadn't noticed, Score is a direct reflection of activity. You don't gain score by sitting on your 5000 roids doing nothing. You don't gain score by logging in once a day to start a new construction.

The reason you were #1 in the beta without much hassle probably was because a lot of people weren't playing it seriously, unlike this round. We're now at Tick 141, that wasn't even 5 hours yet in the beta, and already you are complaining that your activity is somehow not rewarded, when the truth is that people have only begun to attack in the last two days, only have small fleets and practically no tactics research has been done yet.

As for your comment on how the roids you cap are useless because you can't mine them:
  • Oh noes, you can't grow away from the rest of the universe as quickly as before. Hey, actually, this is the sort of thing that might prevent you from being #1 for a long period of time, as you're not impossible to catch upl with!
  • Attacking = Activity. Activity = Score. Score = What makes your planet go up in the rankings.
  • Then do the research, and hey presto! You can mine your new roids. And when you are way over your cap, you won't even suffer so much when an attack comes through and you do get roided.

In addition, it's amusing to see that in your log you are claiming that being forced to build ships stops you from playing good. I for one am damn glad you are not in my alliance.

As for the shipstats, be happy you have some indication of what ships are good at and what not. The reason the choice was made not to reveal shipstats, was to let players find out for themselves which ships were good and which weren't - and hey, it's already working as alliances have already been parsing scans, trying to find out the shipstats, determining what the best fleet setup is. If the shipstats were public, then it'd simply be a case of 'Let's see, I only need to build those three ships, and if I send this, I'll kill 54 of his ships and lose 13 myself'. Then you need to wait 10 hours and find out that you knew exactly what was going to happen 10 hours ago. Yay!

<Jurgen> ppl who r able to be online 48h straight with no sleep then 2hours sleep and again 48h awake should rule

Unread 19 Sep 2003, 11:04   #8
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
attacking could lead to losing ships
ships = value
value gives score
Attacking may lead to lower score.

Furtheremore the bigger your value the more score you can gain in attacks. Despite the fact that attacking bigger targets gives more score. When bigger an attack on someone twice your value gives more score then when a small person attacks someone twice his value.

My conclusion is: be very carefull when you attack. Use a bcalc if your ships are being targetted. Value is very important early on in the game. Without newsscans and a proper bcalc you should not attack.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 11:08   #9
Jurgen
The Ğragon

leshy:
U very much like to take 1 line from what was said and comment only that... maybe u should take a look at the whole conversation.
I said Enemies should make me build ships... not the fact that I don't have anything else to do with resources that only get capped by coops.

Also Attacking is not activity if u can set launches forehand etc.
The fact is that u don't have to be that active to do good in pax.

I'm not complaining that I'm not gonna win anymore or so... I'm complaining that it doesn't take as much to win as it used to.
Also it doesn't take as much to play good as it used to.
ppl don't have to be online to do good ---> community is weakening ----> ppl loosing interest to pa -----> many players will leave pa -----> pa will be no more
--
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 11:43   #10
Zo0f
Sir peon to you

Zo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of light
I do agree with Jurgen here. PaX in its current state has removed some of the need to be online so much. As long as you are on to launch attacks and start researches/constructions then there is little different between anyone. Being online to check for incomming helps of course, but galaxy mates can report that aswell.

For me PaX is more fun (in-game) to play. However with changes like auto fleet launching, activity not giving such benefit and the lack of cluster/para activities it is seriously lacking (outside of PaX).

The most important thing is that without people having something to gain from being online they will not make the such an effort. This is eventually going to lead to less active people and a decline in the community spirit.

"The only easy day was yesterday."
Zo0f is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 12:10   #11
WebAngel
Honour & Loyalty

WebAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
You are right Jurgen, this posted attack option is killing the community. Nobody is ever online only blind people can deny that. Nobody has to be online for the attacks hence nobody is online for the defences and as a consequence the irc activity could not be lower than it is right now (the spies are the only on to stay online all the time ).

It is true also that the attacks don't worth the effort since they are very risky (unless we are waiting for PT 500 to get the scans) and in anycase they are not very rewarding (25h travel-time for a couple of roids or your entire fleet killed).
Your target can build some ships 3 times faster than your own travel time, go plan an attack knowing that, no strategy is possible.

At the moment, the only one way to have successful attacks is to bash the small players and the players who are in a weak gal or to have a farm. With a bit of luck, they will have no ship at all, no friend, no alliance then you can expect a few rocks (like 2/10 roids for 500 FR attacking and 25 with your entire fleet away).

This 48h protection is a joke since you cant do anything in 48h with the new tech tree. Someone joining mid-round will be killed 49h after joining the p2p universe without being able to defend himself (maybe he will have some FI but 100 time more FR will kill his/her puny fleet anyway). Nobody can attack seriously before PT150 and if they want to have some scans of the attacks then it is even worse (PT250). So one expect to be under attack from mid-round till the end? Do you think that one can play a game for 1.5 month without doing anything but init 3 roids every hours and starts constructions/buildings, never being online or almost and finally lose all his ships during his/her first attack?
Of course it was really difficult to foresee that with a 5 min-ticks beta and I guess that one cant blame anybody for it. PA-X is a new game and will need some adjustments.

One word to sum the matter up, PA-X is now SIM-PA. One can init his/her roids all round long without attacking or even being under attack. All the old PA players who are going down the ship tech tree are all wrong since it's way better to build some heavy cargos and init every ticks. PA-X is not a strategy game anymore, build up your planet lemmings!

Last edited by WebAngel; 19 Sep 2003 at 12:26.
WebAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 12:29   #12
Tuz
The Crazy Sexy Frog

Tuz is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree on everything with Webby and Jurgen.
I actually just launched my first attack ever in PAX (didn't play beta) I really wonder what for ......
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 12:38   #13
Al_zz
ensign forever

Al_zz is an unknown quantity at this point
What a load of bull.... !!! Tonight already the first decent battleship fleets will fly across the universe and in two days people could have researched quite a bit on tactics and will start to destroy buildings. Myself I already gained more than 15% of my roids by attacks so far and allthough that is not much it is already quite exceptional cause I hardly bothered to attack in the previous rounds. But now I do not have to wake up to launch or be available at landing (which at work can be troublesome) I can just happily launch every day.

Atm the moment i have real troubles deciding wheather to go for h-cargo's, traveltime or tactics in next research where in the past this wasn't even an issue. I'm having decent fun allthough I'm not playing for a rank. I do miss a bit the ability to calc my attacks but not because of the lack of stats but more because I opted not to go for scans early so I do not know what the targets fleets are.

hAl
Al_zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 12:38   #14
masochist

masochist is an unknown quantity at this point
Jurgy, Webangel: True, i agree, etc...

poor us and poor PA

Gothic / [Dragonscanner]
0 pods; I never attack.

Last edited by masochist; 19 Sep 2003 at 13:01.
masochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 12:43   #15
WebAngel
Honour & Loyalty

Quote:
Originally posted by Al_zz
What a load of bull.... !!! Tonight already the first decent battleship fleets will fly across the universe and in two days people could have researched quite a bit on tactics and will start to destroy buildings. Myself I already gained more than 15% of my roids by attacks so far and allthough that is not much it is already quite exceptional cause I hardly bothered to attack in the previous rounds. But now I do not have to wake up to launch or be available at landing (which at work can be troublesome) I can just happily launch every day.

Atm the moment i have real troubles deciding wheather to go for h-cargo's, traveltime or tactics in next research where in the past this wasn't even an issue. I'm having decent fun allthough I'm not playing for a rank. I do miss a bit the ability to calc my attacks but not because of the lack of stats but more because I opted not to go for scans early so I do not know what the targets fleets are.

hAl
You are late mate. Last night I have sent 75CR and a few BS. What for? Almost nothing.
I don't post anything when I dont know what I am talking about you know.
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 12:44   #16
Hexy

Hexy is an unknown quantity at this point
Al_zz theres a lot of I's, me's, and mine's in that post. What happened to the rest of your gal/alliance? Are you leading them into "fun" too? Maybe if you play alone it could be fun.. I choose not to do that.. and I have been bored for some time. I don't know if the quality players will return.. I don't know if the round will pickup in interest as it moves along. I guess I will wait til the end of the round.. if I can hold on that long.. to make an educated decision.

Jurgen thanks for saying what I have felt for some days now. I just adore you.
Hexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 12:57   #17
anomnorway
SWaRM HC

anomnorway is an unknown quantity at this point
hmmm a game for the selective few only, Jurgen?

<Jurgen> pa should be a game for hardcore
<Jurgen> ppl who r able to be online 48h straight with no sleep then 2hours
sleep and again 48h awake should rule

What kind of community spirit is that? PaX aka PA a game for only peeps with no RL?

I happen to enjoy PaX - find it intriguing. Its not just down to who roids/bashes the most, one can (has to be) be more cunning I like that.

ehhh maybe try out RL now that you have the possiblity?

*hugs*
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 13:03   #18
masochist

I got the solution: 15 min tick or reduce research time. the game is too slow.
0 pods; I never attack.
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 13:11   #19
Al_zz
ensign forever

Quote:
Originally posted by Hexy
Al_zz theres a lot of I's, me's, and mine's in that post. What happened to the rest of your gal/alliance? Are you leading them into "fun" too? Maybe if you play alone it could be fun.. I choose not to do that.. and I have been bored for some time. I don't know if the quality players will return.. I don't know if the round will pickup in interest as it moves along. I guess I will wait til the end of the round.. if I can hold on that long.. to make an educated decision.

Jurgen thanks for saying what I have felt for some days now. I just adore you.
I can only speak for myself in what I experience. However in my alliance the atmosphere seem bright enough. We are not unhappy. The game is still in a stage though where most people try to avoid confrontation. I'm unsure how the future will look as several have strategies chosen that only allow them to fully attack from today or tomorrow.

hAl
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 13:18   #20
Al_zz
ensign forever

Quote:
Originally posted by WebAngel
You are late mate. Last night I have sent 75CR and a few BS. What for? Almost nothing.
I don't post anything when I dont know what I am talking about you know.
That is probalby almost nothing compared to earlier rounds. Which is true. Roids are much harder to come by than they used to be. Now (at this stage) you might only get 15 or 20 from an attack where you used to get more, especially over 3 ticks. However this goes for all players and this just means that smaller roid differences will stay during the round but that also means that small roids differences will still be relativly important. You just don't win the round on roiding alone though. Roids are only a means now. If you would go all out succesfully roiding for the whole round you couldn't keep up research anyways.

hAl
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 13:32   #21
mikay

mikay is an unknown quantity at this point
PA is a game for the hardcore - even now. That's why people quit and that's why a lot of people wouldn't reccomend it to their friends.

I quit playing serious in R6, played semi casual in R7 and lasted approx 2 days out of protection in 9.5. I have better things to do than be woken up at 5am 4 nights a week and in old PA I was very capable of being totally wiped out in 1 attack.

Maybe it's slower - well it will speed up. Also bear in mind it's not so slow for people who only log in 2-3 times a day. Maybe there's less defence available at nights - same for every alliance and nobody can cap too many roids so does it matter that much if you lose a few?

Fact is this isn't old PA and it is't about having battleships first. I looked at that - I can get CR/BS ad be stuck on 200 roids, I dismissed that one. People need to devise new tactics, surely that's good.

When I joined so did 3 other friends who would never have come back to old style PA again. Basicaly you have a choice of PA with 2000 ppl which essentially would make a loss and close or PAX which is playable for more casual players and might ave a chance of making a profit.

<breeze|away> i agree about mang tho .. he is our mentor of perviness

R4: 48:25:13, 2E5 HC R5: n00b
R6: 3:10:1 Mangor, The Daddy
R7: 3:3:11 Retired
R8: c43 Finally free
PAX: 3:7:9 The Mentor of Perviness
mikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 13:47   #22
Hala
Turtle!

Hala is an unknown quantity at this point
PAX reflects a shift, whether intentional or unintentional towards the more casual gamer. Theres only one problem with that, the casual gamer is not going to pay $15 for a online text based multiplayer game.

So whats left? The hardcore gamers who weren't smart enough to realise that PAX is a game that isn't aimed at them.

I've never been so bored in first 150 ticks of PA in all the rounds I've played. Attacking doesn't thrill me because I know that even if I do land and get roids I'm not going to get very many. Plus the fact that most likely I won't be able to mine them anyway.

Some may argue that the objective has been shifted from getting roids to getting score, but the fact is that most people want to have something concrete and tangiable, they want to be able to say to their friends "My fleet is 10x as powerful as yours", they want to have power in the game. Score doesn't provide this.

PAX is well designed, just for the wrong audience.
R4: n00b planet
R5: 5:1:10 Halaka of the Land of Milk and Honey - UV
R6: 35:15:10 Frozzy of The Honey Jar - WP - Later NoS
R7: 29:18:7 Muffin-Man of The Bakery - NoS
R8: 55:10:7 General Hague of The Alexander - Virus - Officer
R9: Scan planet - Virus - Officer
R9.5: 13:3:9 Mandrake of Duntion Wood - Virus - Officer
Hala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 14:17   #23
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Hala
PAX reflects a shift, whether intentional or unintentional towards the more casual gamer.
I don't see very much in PAX geared towards the casual gamer. Quite the opposite, in fact.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 14:27   #24
Guard
Elysium Battle Commando

Guard is an unknown quantity at this point
most of the complains i readin here are from hardcore players who are used to getting ****loads of roids early on to gain massive networth and then win the round of finish top100. But like i said before its not going to be easy to win PaX, you actually have to use your brains now (what will gain most score, what is the best way to achieve it). The point is that in PaX there is a better envirement created for wars, since destroying targets is what gets you score (levelling buildings and killing ships + taking roids. Doing it random is pretty pointless and imho less fun then for example killing or trying to kill a alliance. There is still lotsa things ahead of us considering tactics and attacks. This is merely the start.

And a small note..... Its impossible to compare the real round with beta. If you did well in beta all that it means is that you was active and able to attack alot, chances on ppl not sending their fleets out was big (if you went away for 30 mins you could be dead) so gaining score & roids was relatively easy. Now you have to consider alliance def which can be arranged in 1 or 2 hours untill everyone has eta 8. And the fact that the startup is slow has to do with the mining issues, its not so much about gaining value anymore. You will have to work to gain score so eventually the more active players will win anyway.

Once the fleets become bigger you will see roiding will become easier (if your not disturbed enough ). Atm the fleets are just not that big to gain to much, so the only option you have to hurt targets is to team up, when you send 3-400 FR for example the gains are vewy nice for a start. And small fleets are relatively easy to disturb, the bigger it is the harder and more kills will be made aswell what will mean that more score is gained. If you are not active you won´t be sending out ships that much (or made some blind launches) and that way you will not win.

And WebAngel......... initiating roids won´t work, it will at the start when everyone is close, but those who initiate to much will be catched up anyway.

PaX is what you make out of it, if you complain about every lil thing that is not going the way you want/expected its not going to be fun no, but when you try to adapt and learn from mistakes you made (like when you find out something isn´t profitable.... try out something else.... it a new game!) you will see it will go fine in the end
Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 14:47   #25
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
I don't see very much in PAX geared towards the casual gamer. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Well as the scoring system rewards activity while the Value attribute is based on the old system of efficient roiding, you now have two possible targets. Hardcore active players will aim for high Score to show how active and dedicated they are, while more casual players can slowly build a strong fleet, reflected in their Value. These players will not be as discouraged in their lack of a high score as in previous rounds, with a steady Value they can compare to the gal mates who loose ships in the persuit of Score.
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 15:12   #26
masochist

ok lets use our brain but how are exactly calculated score, value and combat???
0 pods; I never attack.
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 15:18   #27
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by masochist
ok lets use our brain but how are exactly calculated score, value and combat???
Value is the same as the old Score, based on unspent res, ships, roids, constructions and research.
Score is derived from a hidden 'experience' attribute, which goes up when you attack and defend well (killing ships/structures, capping roids, etc). This experience value is then mixed with your value to give your overall score. The system rewards activity, and means large fleet losses affect your overall score less than the old system.
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 15:30   #28
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future
thoose that become inacitve due to over use of scheduled launches wil be thoose that don;t do well imo...

this round might throw up some surprises.... many of the so called good players seem to be complaining rather than trying to adapt, I will be very interested to see the rankings at the end of the round.

As for my opinions, they are in the Spinner thread 2 threads saying the same is kinda pointless.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 16:03   #29
masochist

Quote:
Originally posted by xtothez
Value is the same as the old Score, based on unspent res, ships, roids, constructions and research.
Score is derived from a hidden 'experience' attribute, which goes up when you attack and defend well (killing ships/structures, capping roids, etc). This experience value is then mixed with your value to give your overall score. The system rewards activity, and means large fleet losses affect your overall score less than the old system.
experience? activity? i'm connected 18 hours per day, do over 50 scans never miss a tick for cons or res. My score doenst increase a lot. i gain 0.01 point per scan? so gaining score = losing tons of ships for a few roids? Me is trying to understand this new game concept.
0 pods; I never attack.
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 16:05   #30
WebAngel
Honour & Loyalty

Quote:
Originally posted by Guard
most of the complains i readin here are from hardcore players who are used to getting ****loads of roids early on to gain massive networth and then win the round of finish top100. But like i said before its not going to be easy to win PaX, you actually have to use your brains now (what will gain most score, what is the best way to achieve it). The point is that in PaX there is a better envirement created for wars, since destroying targets is what gets you score (levelling buildings and killing ships + taking roids. Doing it random is pretty pointless and imho less fun then for example killing or trying to kill a alliance. There is still lotsa things ahead of us considering tactics and attacks. This is merely the start.
First you should not see those posts as some complaints but statements that can give Spinner some hints for a better PA. Unless you are completely out of the loop and just a passive player doing nothing for PA but pushing some buttons then you can't stay indiferent to the fact that our community is in danger.
That is a fact and NOBODY can deny it.
You are talking about a better environment for war, but what are you talking about? When you have 100 ships called <newname> with <unknown> stats incomings and that you have to defend against them, where is your strategy? what do you have to send?
Please tell me where is that better environment for war?

Quote:

And a small note..... Its impossible to compare the real round with beta. If you did well in beta all that it means is that you was active and able to attack alot, chances on ppl not sending their fleets out was big (if you went away for 30 mins you could be dead) so gaining score & roids was relatively easy. Now you have to consider alliance def which can be arranged in 1 or 2 hours untill everyone has eta 8. And the fact that the startup is slow has to do with the mining issues, its not so much about gaining value anymore. You will have to work to gain score so eventually the more active players will win anyway.
True, so what? I can't see your point there.
when you stockpile some resources (so you are inactive), then your score is growing up, what's the point being active here?

Quote:

Once the fleets become bigger you will see roiding will become easier (if your not disturbed enough ). Atm the fleets are just not that big to gain to much, so the only option you have to hurt targets is to team up, when you send 3-400 FR for example the gains are vewy nice for a start. And small fleets are relatively easy to disturb, the bigger it is the harder and more kills will be made aswell what will mean that more score is gained. If you are not active you won´t be sending out ships that much (or made some blind launches) and that way you will not win.
Once the fleets become bigger your score will be so ridiculous compared with the players who have init all the time (they will have 10 times your incomes and will get enough to counter your ships in no time) that you wont be able to take out anything but the newbies.

Quote:

And WebAngel......... initiating roids won´t work, it will at the start when everyone is close, but those who initiate to much will be catched up anyway.
Start is everything unfortunatelly when you are #2500 player at PT 100 then good luck to end up top10 player. Of course you might expect to catch up 50 ticks before the end of the round
*end of sarcasm*

Quote:

PaX is what you make out of it, if you complain about every lil thing that is not going the way you want/expected its not going to be fun no, but when you try to adapt and learn from mistakes you made (like when you find out something isn´t profitable.... try out something else.... it a new game!) you will see it will go fine in the end
Once more its not about whining. I don't expect anything but fun and I am still waiting for it. Don't get me wrong I don't play PA to rule the universe (It is always good when it happens but for me one can have some fun whatever the ranking). I share everything I can with everybody in PA. I am helping out in my alliance, I am leading a battle group (about 50 ppl), I have written some guides (out of my experience in the beta), and about 60 players are playing thanks to me because I have upgraded their accounts for free. I am doing everything without asking anything in return. Of course I do expect a lot in PA and that's exactly the reason of my posts here. I am posting for a better PA because it is far from to be perfect at the moment.

P.S.: one can cheat with engineering a little (one can start a 48 hour research thingy with engineering first priority on research then changed priorities, now it shows up as a 57 tick item but it still scheduled to be finished as when its been orderered)
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 16:09   #31
Omnipotent
Eternal Pagan

Omnipotent is an unknown quantity at this point
As planetarions most idle player, i take offence to beeing in top300.
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 16:16   #32
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute
hmmm just a small note, Guards post was made by me, didn't know i was logged in as him :P, but as i was behind his pc it makes kinda sence that i was logged in as him..... any questions remarks can be directed to me either here or on irc
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 16:40   #33
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point
with all due respect....I think we should have these discussions after we've played through the whole round. We don't want people eating their hats
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 16:43   #34
Wandows
[Vision]

Quote:
Originally posted by WebAngel
First you should not see those posts as some complaints but statements that can give Spinner some hints for a better PA. Unless you are completely out of the loop and just a passive player doing nothing for PA but pushing some buttons then you can't stay indiferent to the fact that our community is in danger.
That is a fact and NOBODY can deny it.
You are talking about a better environment for war, but what are you talking about? When you have 100 ships called <newname> with <unknown> stats incomings and that you have to defend against them, where is your strategy? what do you have to send?
Please tell me where is that better environment for war?
I am not sure how to take this.....But the way i do now you tell me that you don't understand the stats? (which i very much doubt knowing you atleast a small bit )

I admit you have a point about the ships. Without the planet being online there is little to no chance on figuring out what the incoming would be. It would mean guessing by comparing the attackers fleet with the target planet and see what would be the most likely option. And that simply sucks for a alliance especially when later in the round when, though its doable with the current stats i think.

Atm the envirement isn't that good for wars. But i mean when the tactical things have been researched it becomes a entirely different thing. Like i said, its much more interesting to take down the planet of a set enemy then to destroy some random planet (atleast thats my opinion). Therefor i find this setup more inviting to declare war and destroy your enemy much more then in the old pa (if he sends his ships out no big deal, he steal loses a big part of his buildings which will set him back alot)

Quote:

True, so what? I can't see your point there.
when you stockpile some resources (so you are inactive), then your score is growing up, what's the point being active here?
This is at the start yes, you have to admit that once the battles become bigger there isn't much point in stockpiling resources as that simply won't get you a topspot. At the start is does, but later on there is no point when gaining score from killing someone's buildings along with taking down ships.

Quote:

Once the fleets become bigger your score will be so ridiculous compared with the players who have init all the time (they will have 10 times your incomes and will get enough to counter your ships in no time) that you wont be able to take out anything but the newbies.
not really, the profit you make on initiating roids is hardly enough to construct a decent fleet (if you initiate yourself to for example 600 roids your fleet won't be big cuz of the costs of initiating the roids) with the current setup its not that hard to take someone like that down, find a few m8s launch all on the guy and there is no way he can build def to stop you. Initiating to far is seriously a waste of time. Unless you can be online 24/7 and have a nice alliance willing to protect the entire time without you being able to help them thnx to you having to many roids for your value.

Quote:

Start is everything unfortunatelly when you are #2500 player at PT 100 then good luck to end up top10 player. Of course you might expect to catch up 50 ticks before the end of the round
*end of sarcasm*
start WAS everything. With the current setup i hope u noticed how close the scores actually are. If you gain like 1k score u go up a few hundred places in ranks (unless your top10). And atm you won't gain score fast due to the small fleets we are fighting with. like i said later on it will increase alot. You must have noticed that from beta, that you gain alot by whiping someone's buildings, unfortunately we can't do that yet.

It will be hard to catch up without some backup yes, but far from impossible. I'd also like to note how Andy_R performed in beta, with a 250 roids & 400k value planet he was in the top30 with 400.000+ score(iirc) between 2mil + value planets, so fleet and stacking resources doesn't mean everything =). There is lotsa ways to gain score.

Quote:

Once more its not about whining. I don't expect anything but fun and I am still waiting for it. Don't get me wrong I don't play PA to rule the universe (It is always good when it happens but for me one can have some fun whatever the ranking). I share everything I can with everybody in PA. I am helping out in my alliance, I am leading a battle group (about 50 ppl), I have written some guides (out of my experience in the beta), and about 60 players are playing thanks to me because I have upgraded their accounts for free. I am doing everything without asking anything in return. Of course I do expect a lot in PA and that's exactly the reason of my posts here. I am posting for a better PA because it is far from to be perfect at the moment.
well i know perfectly well how u play =) and i like your style. And this is not directed to you in particular, as i too would like to see some changes here and there. But i just tend to get annoyed by all the negative things about PaX while the round barely even started. And i do consider this round to be like r1 of pa, one which will mean many changes for the new round. I just hope (like you) that Spinner is willing to listen to alot of suggestions made (like bringing back the EMP/cloaked/stealing part). But i don't get why this all has to be done when i know there is no-one who could have tested the stats and strategies properly. They might have give it a go in beta, but there is no way you can compare beta when ticks are running faster, there are less planets, smaller alliances. Its all still very new and has to be tested to know the actual things that will happen when for example defence kicks in.

Quote:

P.S.: one can cheat with engineering a little (one can start a 48 hour research thingy with engineering first priority on research then changed priorities, now it shows up as a 57 tick item but it still scheduled to be finished as when its been orderered)
hehe i know =) it looks like a extra implemented "strategy"