User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Roleplaying

Unread 31 Dec 2004, 17:41   #251
Planetkiller II
Current HrH Manijjmint

Planetkiller II has a spectacular aura aboutPlanetkiller II has a spectacular aura about
Re: ND's Christmas Surprise

*So... it doesn't want me dead... yet. That could mean several things, but not many of them good.*

"Pity, I'd have liked to see them brought to some semblance of justice. I'm not sure that you're right about the marines though. Find me a route to a PA, and I'll talk to them. But, still I'd like to know the situation in the rest of the base? If all these creatures are loose, how many humans are alive? How many are there worth saving? There were loyal marines here, good men. The civilians too, though I don't doubt many were in on this, still more deserve a chance to live. Is a cleaner responsible for the actions of those in the lab he cleans for example? I also wonder why you exist. Why did they make you with so much power? They must have realised that with free will, there would be no way to control you. Unless of course, they didn't mean to?"

Horseman of the Psy-Apocalypse - Famine, Psychic Weapons Divison Commander and Tutor of Telenullics at the Academy of Psychics
Planetkiller II is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 18:21   #252
Wraith[x]
Moo?

Wraith[x] is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Dachi
Wraith
Two of the red creatures are town to pieces by minigun fire. The third remaining is running for you when you turn to bring your minigun to bear on it. It doesn't last long, the explosive rounds ripping it to shreds and blood. You are alone in the corridor again. As though to remind you that you aren't finished yet, another terrified scream echoes toward you from down the corridor ahead and around a corner to the left...
Wraith dashes down the corridor as quickly as his suit can bear him, chasing the pretty secretary and whoever else it was As he runs, he flicks his minigun onto whirr-whizz mode, bringing the barrel up to speed with a whirr and a whizz. If the worst comes to the worst, he can always try to mulch the little critters with the rotating barrel...
Wraith continues jogging down the corridor, until he final catches up with the hostages, or runs into something nastier, constantly on the lookout for danger...
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 19:15   #253
Dunin Hemm
Bärsärkarvarg

Dunin Hemm is on a distinguished road

Roxborough shakes her head and looks down the corridor, the effects of the flashbang still troubling her senses. As her vision clears she looks down the corridor she was set to guard and suddenly anything moving in her field of vision is in grave danger. She raises her shotgun and opens fire against anything moving towards her or trying to take cover.

"Isn't it about f***ing time we got moving Lieutenant?!" she yells over her shoulder. "I don't wanna get caught in here!"
Dunin Hemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 19:36   #254
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Bakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the rough

*Swearing with as many curse words as he knows, Incom blinks rapidly, trying to clear his eyes from the effects of the flashbang grenade. Feeling impacts on his armor, he is instantly thankful for the heavy combat armor he wears. Slowely, his vision clears, and he sees the Rangers attempting to make their way towards cover. Screaming a wordless curse, Incom attempts to move his heavy pulse minigun around to track them, keeping a eye out for his allies.*
Bakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2004, 20:50   #255
Darkling
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Darkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to behold

Rasing the gogles to see once more the effcets of flash bang averted, moving furhter out into the corridor dropping to a low crouch. Pulling the trigger of the pulse rifle for a few seconds, letting go to pull it again once more, contuing in this patern firing in the general of the aproaching rangers. The sound of gunfire almost deafaning right now, trying to keep his aim true. Rolling to get himself clear of anyones path fires the underside grenade launcher in the cirection of the rangers.

ooc - would put mroe but creativity is lacking right now

Last edited by Darkling; 31 Dec 2004 at 20:56.
Darkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jan 2005, 01:34   #256
mrmao
oh...sexy...

mrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the rough

Alexander looked out the window at the frigate for a second he was transfixed by the ship. Then snapped back to rality, to find the soldier. He wasn't here, and if he wasn't here he was out of Alex's hands. He took of down the stairs. Before plunging back outside and back to the barracks he slipped on his gas mask, Then made a run for the path back the way he came, hoping for the second time today to remain unnoticed.
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 15:31   #257
No Dachi

No Dachi is infamous around these parts

Fluffie
Mathers coughs weakly, bringing up blood, and smiles, clasping his hand around the bloodstained letter in your own.

"Thank you sir," He speaks weakly, almost in a whisper, and turned a ghostly pale colour, "You'd better be going now, sir. The pilot of the dropship is dead. He came out to finish me off." He coughs again, more blood, and his eyes seem to lose focus, "Dark...everything's going dark. And cold. Very...very cold." He shivers suddenly, closing his eyes, and, with that, he is dead. You feel his hold on your hand lessen, and his arm falls limply to his side. Sparing glances at the dropship over your shoulder have revealed nothing but dead Rangers and bloodstained snow. You are alone with the whine of the dropship engines.

Armoury Defenders
Corporal Roxborough and both Corporals Morgan (from now on, Bakan is "Corporal Bakan" for the sake of simplicity) fire on the Rangers as they try to move into cover. One of them is floored by a spray of pellets from Corporal Roxborough's assault shotgun, another is torn to shreds just as he rounds the corner by pulse minigun fire. At this moment, however, everything suddenly explodes.

Inspectre/Crazy
You come to your senses to see Private Scarez desparately pulling pieces from what appears to be a pile of twisted metal and earth filling the armoury corridor. As your heads clear, you see that a section of the corridor has caved in. Your ears are ringing, and it's not hard to reason out that there was some kind of explosion. Presicion starship ordnance strike against the surface, perhaps. Regardless, the armoury corridor is now completely blocked, and the three of you are trapped in the Armoury with timed charges set to go off in...three minutes and thirty seconds. Scarez apparently sees you awake, and turns to Lieutenant Tremaine, panic on his face.

"Sir! The starship hit us, sir, the corridor caved in and both of you got floored. Sarge got burried by the debris, he pushed me clear just before the impact. We need to get him out!" You look to the mass of dirt and steel behind him. It is quite evident that Sergeant Henley did not survive the cave-in.

Bakan/Darkling
The two of you awake from temporary unconsciousness at about the same time. Corporal Darkling pulls himself to his feet. Dust is thick in the air. Behind you, the corridor has caved in, blocked off completely by a mass of earth and twisted metal. Some kind of explosion on the surface, most likely. Corporal Bakan is lying face down on the ground, pulse minigun still held tightly by his right hand. In his cumbersome heavy armour, it is impossible to get up unaided, so he'll need help. If that was a warship ordnance hit, it's likely that it was in preparation for a major attack by the Rangers. You need to get out of here.

Dunin
You fire your assault shotgun at one of the Rangers as he moves away from you toward the corridor on the opposite side of the intersection, flooring him, and watch as another is literally torn to pieces by fire from Corporal Bakan's pulse minigun. The two other Rangers get into cover successfully, and one of them lifts his pulse rifle to fire at you. At precisely this moment, there is an earth-shattering boom from the armoury corrdor, and a cloud of dust is thrown outwards, filling the air at the intersection between you and the two rangers. You see red lines cast through the cloud of dust, their laser sights catching on the dust particles. There was some kind of explosion in the armoury corridor, evidently.

Mao
You wisely decide that there's nothing you can do for the wounded man if he isn't actually at the tower. He'd likely been taken prisoner by the Rangers. You turn away from the awe-inspiring sight of the starship just below the clouds, dashing down the stairs of the tower and out onto the packed, flat snow immediately surrounding it. At this moment, you see white light throw part of the frigate's underside into relief. A missle, visible by the pinprick of brilliant white light from its exhaust, streaks out from a hidden launcher on the warship and spirals seemingly erratically toward the ground, before dissapearing a fraction of a second later behind a bank of snow. A moment later, and you hear a sharp explosion as the missle goes off. The base was under attack, it seemed. You rushed back down the pathway between the snow banks, and within minutes had arrived back in front of the base. Unfortunatly, however, it looks like getting in could be tricky. A full squad of Rangers, apparently delivered by dropship, has taken up guard positions around the outside of the research base's surface section. Turning to the Marine Barracks, you see that much of the smaller building's surface area has been destroyed utterly, leaving only a gaping hole of jagged steel in its place. Through the hole, you hear gunfire. The Rangers were storming the base. Suddenly, you hear a voice from behind.

"You, Medic!"

PK
I was created with great power, Lieutenant King, because it was the wish of my designers that we should kill in the most efficient manner possible. The creature explains. The ground shakes slightly beneath your feet. An explosion, the creature comments, my eyes at the surface show a great flying thing made from steel which you humans refer to as a starship. Such wondrous inventions, but even these things you have corrupted to the service of war and conflict. Indeed, we were created to kill. Unfortunatly, however, genetic engineering on this scale is still a rather haphazard practise. I was not designed well. They gave me great mental power to co-ordinate my kin, but in doing so they inadvertantly gave me something else, the powers beyond your understanding that I referred to earlier. Simultaneously, they gave me mental power enough to question the merit of my own existence, and to question the urge for nourishment, both mental and physical for the benefit of my body, that they had programmed into my nature. My kin and I were an experiment, a prototype rather than a final design, and for the most part I alone was kept in stasis. I could not move, I could not feed on anything other than already-dead matter than they offered me, I could not produce more kin than the two I made originally, because I had not the resources available to me. Over time in that sterile white prison, as my mental faculties turned themselves to questioning my nature and my existence, my natural thirst for blood faded. In its place came a new goal, I was well aware of just how deadly a weapon we would have been if unleashed upon humanity's enemies - or upon humanity by one faction against another. Creating us was a crime, a crime so great that those responsible should not be allowed to live. Then came the explosion earlier today. I escaped, my kin killed whilst I made my way here. I gathered specimens. I gathered what was going on. I discovered that the others had been created for much the same reason I had been. Terrible, terrible crimes. As I said, I and we were a prototype, not the end design. Evidently we were flawed, though as you are no doubt aware, we are responsible for some of the killing that has taken place in these corridors today. It pauses, and somehow you sense that it is deep in thought. After a time, the hanging corpses are drawn away, back into invisibility in the shadows. You find yourself looking at the creature itself again. It is looking directly at you. My eyes on the surface and elsewhere indicate that your faction is trapped. I will tell you now that your only vector of escape is to the stars. There is nothing but death here, particularly when the other two factions meet eachother, and the reds. I feel that will be soon. I assume you wish to escape this place, Lieutenant King?

Wraith
You pound your way down the corridor after the captives, minigun whirring in anticipation of more bloodshed to come. You round a corner at the end of the corridor, looking right, and are greeted by dozens of the smaller red creatures, scurrying back and forth through a double doorway leading left into the wall half way down this new corridor. They are carrying all kinds of things back and forth. Pieces of machinery, computer components, food crates...human flesh. The larger objects are carried by teams of the creatures. One of the larger, fatter creatures like the one you saw earlier in the canteen is watching them. It spots you, and emits a series of clicks and screeches. As one, the smaller creatures dash through the doorway to the left. The fatter creature follows them. The corridor is empty. You hear a carcophony of screeching from through the doorway. Then, a creature quite unlike the others emerges. With four long, spindly legs stretching up past your head height that meet in the middle, at the top of a large, elipsoid, carapace-armoured body that hangs from them in the middle of the creature's disposition, it moves toward you slowly, its footsteps clattering on the tiles beneath you. Suddenly, you feel some kind of presence in your mind, like something else is there. The creature pauses. Then, suddenly, pictures begin to manifest themselves in your mind. You see a figure, armoured in Marine Heavy Armour like you, firing its minigun at a mass of red creature rushing toward it, claws outstretched. The image changes, and the Marine lets his pulse minigun's muzzle fall. Simultaneously, the red creatures stop attacking, and instead stand idle. The image changes again. A red creature like the one you now face appears, and the armoured Marine begins making gestures toward it as though talking. The images disspear, and the red creature waits, appearing expectant.
That Noble Sin; whilst Luxury
Emply'd a Million of the Poor,
And odious Pride a Million more.'

-The Grumbling Hive: or, Knaves Turn'd Honest, Bernard Mandeville

Last edited by No Dachi; 2 Jan 2005 at 16:05.
No Dachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 15:32   #258
No Dachi

!!moron, I forgot PK again. I don't know what it is about you in particular that makes me forget you've posted...

Edit: And Wraith, too. If you both wait a few seconds I'll edit you in. Apologies for this...

Unread 2 Jan 2005, 16:05   #259
No Dachi

PK and Wraith now done. Further apologies for the wait.

Unread 2 Jan 2005, 16:27   #260
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold

Fluffie closed his eyes too, trying to think of any prayers or appropriate last words for the now death Marine. He couldn’t think of any though, he had never watched anyone die like this, even in his carreer as a Light Marine. Warren had seen some action already before this posting and he had lost comrades there, but when they were shot, they died immidiately. This time, it was different... and worse, because he still didn’t know any good reason for attacking this Base.

He got up, having opened his eyes again. Looking at the battle scarred wall of Tower D for a second, he thought about what to do next. Escape using the dropship? No, he couldn’t leave the rest behind and the hostile Frigate would probably blast him straight out of the sky. Infiltrating the starship on his own seemed equally futile, so he saw only one path before him. Getting back to the base and meeting up with the others, fending off the Rangers and then taking over the invading Frigate.

It was a daring plan, but he was pissed off enough to do it. He turned around and looked at the dropship. He was alone, Mathers had killed the pilot already. Looking down, he saw the ground littered with dead Rangers and... weapons. Looking at his own SMG, he discarded it and walked over to a dead Ranger, picking up a new Mp10, this one outfitted with laser sight and a silencer. Reloading the weapon and hanging it around his back/shoulders by its sling, he reloads the silenced, laser sighted and scoped Pulse Rifle he had already taken from a corpse before. He smiled as he picked up some more firepower, two laser sighted Pulse Pistols. Putting them in holsters, one each hip, he also picked up from the collection of dead bodies laying around him.

Looking around some more, he picked up two belts of ‘nades and a lot of clips. He now had 3 HE and 3 flash grenades, two extra clips for his Pistols and as much clips for his SMG and Rifle as he could carry. He walked over to the dropship, hoping to find some medpacks. He didn’t know much about the art of healing, but he knew enough to keep himself going. Easily finding the packs he was searching for inside the small craft, he sat down and took some painkillers. Going through the pack, he looked for stuff he recognised, taking it out and laying it beside him.

Some time later, he had cleaned the wounds, applied anti-bleeding salve, put on battle dressing and some bandages. Proud of the results, he tucked some more painkillers (in a true Max Payne style) under his Armour and put back the Medpack where had found it, before closing the dropship and making his way to the cockpit.

He sat down and familiarised himself with the controls, trying to listen in into communications and bringing up a map or something, to figure out where to try and fly this dropship too where there wouldn’t be (too much) Rangers, so he could link up with some of his fellow Marines again...
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 19:11   #261
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Bakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the roughBakan is a jewel in the rough

*Seeing another soldier fall before his fire, Incom smiles and shifts hisaim towards the next trooper. At that instant, Incom felt a deep vibration in his bones, then darkness.*

*Blinking open his eyes, Incom grunts in pain. Laying facedown on the ground, still holding his pulse minigun, Incom looks to see that the corridor has collapses behind them. Seeing another soldier, Incom coughs slightly.*

"Hey, I need some help here. Damn armor is a little to heavy."

*Not waiting for a reply, Incom braces himself, and moves his left arm to act as a level, and pushes with it, using it's advance strength to at least move him up a little ways to make it easier for the other soldier to help him back up.*
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 19:27   #262
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Crazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to behold

Crazy groaned. His head hurt. His arm hurt. He hurt. And too make things worse, he was now stuck in a room, full of explosives, which was about to blow up. It wasn't a good situation to be in, not with the exit blocked by a ton or more of rubble. He looked around the room for a way out. There only seemed to be one option. The handy air vents. Yes. That was probably going to be the only way to escape the room before it became the base's biggest fireworks display. Crazy said the same to the other two guys in the room, one of which was a Lieutenant. Damn Officers. Crazy hoped he wasn't like the stuck up bunch that usually got sent to these sort of bases. He probably wasn't, seeing as he was around where the combat was. Maybe that was good. Anyhoo, Crazy, having taken as much ammo as he could for all his guns, a gas mask, comms booster and some other equipment, made his way to the air-vent and (getting a boost maybe) clambered into it.

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Ghetto Master Ellis says:
Heil Crazy!
Crazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 20:13   #263
Darkling

Darkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to behold

The confusion and daze lifting its veil from his mind, the reality of the situation snapping back hard with its imagnative whip. Getting back up to stand on two feet again noticing the heavy support soldier trying to right himself, hiding the smirk on his face finding the scene somewhat comical to watch. Letting the thought only linger for a few seconds goes over to the downed soldier using his slight rasing and some pulling from Morgan. Eventaully with a little effort and some resistnace from the rather bulky armour managing to bring the up of the ground to stand on his own two legs.

"The armoury is pretty much lost, well least we have little hope of getting into it now aanyway, and the charges I set up in there will likely blow any minute. So lets just hope if anyones in there they manage to find a way out though I dont know how, as for us we better move out it takes a starship to make that kind of mess on a building. Meaning renforcments are not going to be far behind."
Lewis vocie a little racked and nervous, a reminance of calm about it though despite what was happening. Either he was starting to get used to being shot at or blown up, or somthign darkenr was grwoing inside of him with each and every incident pushing him further into the shadows.

Last edited by Darkling; 2 Jan 2005 at 20:18.
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 23:49   #264
Dunin Hemm
Bärsärkarvarg

As everything fills up with dust and smoke, as people shoot and curse, Roxborough begins to loose it. With a voice hoarse from rage she yells out:

"Stop fu**ing around and get moving! We need to get topside! And if any of you a**holes don't get your sorry a**es off the floor, I'll be going alone. Now MOVE!"

Not in the mood for caution, Roxborough takes a hold of the gun handle of her grenade launcher and fires off an explode-on-impact grenade at the Ranger trying to aim at her.
Not waiting to see what happens, she sprints over to the Heavy Marine (Bakan) and the Engineer where she crouches down, giving them cover (as well as using the armoured man as cover for herself).

"Ey, boys," she says. "I thinks it's best we get to the hangar and see if what vehicles are there."

/OOC Okay ND, what options do we have to get to the surface? The stairwell is blocked, I take it? How about the lift? And if this doesn't work, what other waysare there to the surface? And does this level pierce through the ice and into the abyss outside?
Unread 2 Jan 2005, 23:54   #265
No Dachi

Getting to the surface probably isn't a good idea. Warship with big guns and bombs and missiles and all. I'll give you all a clue:

Concentrate less on getting to the surface...
And more on getting off the planet.

Unread 2 Jan 2005, 23:55   #266
Dunin Hemm
Bärsärkarvarg

Quote:
Getting to the surface probably isn't a good idea. Warship with big guns and bombs and missiles and all. I'll give you all a clue:

I'm pretty sure that getting off the planet doesn't involve geeting deeper into it. Unless you have a surprise in mind.

Also, I did a bit of editing at the end of my post.
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 00:15   #267
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I have a shuttle

Edit:
Erh, dropship I mean
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 00:39   #268
No Dachi

Right, so Fluffie has a dropship, and there's a big scary frigate that will fire missiles at and drop bombs on any enemy Marines it spots on the surface. So, where can you board the dropship, if not on the surface of the moon?

Unread 3 Jan 2005, 00:48   #269
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Hangar.

Evul people will probably hear me if I use Comms though, so Mister PK's alien should telepathically tell us all to go there.

*Hint

I always fancied flying a frigate too, btw

*Hint

Lets capture us a f00kin' frigate

Unread 3 Jan 2005, 00:51   #270
Dunin Hemm
Bärsärkarvarg

Yah, as I pointed out; I have edited my post, and Roxborough does point out that hey should get to the hangar.
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 00:52   #271
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunin Hemm
Yah, as I pointed out; I have edited my post, and Roxborough does point out that hey should get to the hangar.
I'd edit too, but it's quite long already and I don't want to bring down Dachi's evilness on me, so I'll go there next post
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 01:05   #272
Darkling

Notting the words of the new arrival, running the idea through his head carefully, trying to think wahat vehcile could become of use under the covering fire a ship in orbit or in the atmosphere. Keeping the thoughts hang there for a few moments and guessing that time will tell on taht one replyiong autmaticly.
"A prudent suggestion, might I suggest we make our way there epost haste. When chaos ensues, and all falls apart the center of calm must be held with sheer power of will and displine."
Finding himself inadvertently muttering a quote at the end of his sentance, trying add some measure of control back to the list of his rapidly dispaering innocene and ideasl. Sighing with a heavy regret pressing down on himself, if he survived this the world will look darker and colder to him than before saying out quiet enough for only himself to hear as he rasies his rifle and starts mulling backwards.
"Lest the beast take my heart"
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 03:41   #273
mrmao
oh...sexy...

mrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the rough

Alexander was just thinking how great this day has been going. A frigate was pounding the base into oblivion. The towers were taken out by infantry so, they were crawling around here somewhere. Jyst as things were starting to get bad he gets caught.

Praying that his previous train of thought is totally wrong he turns around to see who the pearson that called him is.
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 11:07   #274
Planetkiller II
Current HrH Manijjmint

Planetkiller II has a spectacular aura aboutPlanetkiller II has a spectacular aura about

"Of course. I don't wish yo leave the other marines behind though. Those on this world worth saving should be saved. Is it your wish to escape too?"

Horseman of the Psy-Apocalypse - Famine, Psychic Weapons Divison Commander and Tutor of Telenullics at the Academy of Psychics
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 15:56   #275
No Dachi

Fluffie
You stay still and silent for a few moments, reflecting on Mathers' death. Watching a life waste away in this manner was a new experience, even for a Light Marine of years' experience such as yourself. After those few moments, you decide to focus on the present matter at hand, that of how to escape the moon of Novagorsk. You rule out escaping with the dropship - the frigate would destroy you easily, and the armoured shuttle didn't have a hyperdrive anyway; you'd have been trapped in the system, even if you did get passed the frigate. No, the only way off this frozen moon was going to be through the frigate, and for that you needed other Marines. Climbing into the cockpit of the vessel, you see two seats, one for the pilot and one for the co-pilot - apparently there hadn't been one of the latter on this flight. Having already looted ammunition and supplies, and applied some basic treatment to your wounds, you settle down in the pilot's seat to familiarise yourself with the controls. The engines were already on, so no problems there. A flight stick in front of you seemed to be used to control pitch and roll, while a kind of push throttle to your right apparently controlled thrust. At present, the dropship was in hover mode - the engine vents were pointed downwards, allowing it to remain stationary in the air at a given height. To take off, you would need to throttle up, then find the button to switch the vents to the forward position - you spot this button in due course. You spot a discarded helmet lying on the co-pilot's seat, through which you can vaguely make out a voice, laced with static, speaking.

"Drop 1...[static] you recieving? Repeat...[static] status report, over." You could well be in "Drop 1" at the moment. Better reply to the man, and find an excuse to go to the base.

Crazy
Having looted equipment, you move back into the Armoury, ever conscious of the armed time bomb beeping ominously from its concealed position, and try to find a way out. You see an air vent opening - raised up near the cieling, but it's far too small for you or any other human to be able to fit through. You notice that the vent's steel grill is hanging by a single screw, buckled as though something forced its way out from the vent through it. At about this time, you spot the corpse of one of the purple creatures that you saw earlier, lying quite dead in a pool of its own purple blood. Something catches your eye beneath the the dead critter - a line, like a seam, in the floor. On closer inspection, these lines form a square...a trap door. Maybe you won't die in here after all. Opening the trap door, you see that below is a wide air vent, large enough for you and the others to crawl through. Immediately below the opening is a long, vertical shaft dropping down into the shadows below - it probably goes right the way to the bottom levels of the base. On either side of this shaft, a short distance below you, the vent goes left and right. You see another similar set of openings further down. If you take those side vents, you can probably get back into the corridors somehow. The question is, which floor do you want to be on?

Darkling/Dunin/Bakan
With the help of Corporal Morgan, Corporal Bakan is on his feet again with pulse minigun ready. Corporal Roxborough, deciding that the time for caution is probably gone, fires off a high explosive grenade toward the source of the laser sight beams. There is an explosion, and two screams, and the dust is sent billowing away down the corridor. The two Rangers are dead, lying slumped against opposite walls of the corridor. Corporal Roxborough makes her way to the other two Marines, and they decide to go to the hangar. At this moment, however, events take a turn for the worse. A flash grenade, cooked so as to explode after just two seconds, bounces through the doorway to the stairwell and, before any of you can react, detonates, blinding you. The clatter of boots on the durasteel floor heralds Rangers storming through the door, you helpless. Gunshots ring out through the corridor...but you aren't dead...you hear confused shouting from up ahead. With your vision clearing, the three of you see the Rangers retreating back through the doorway, five of their number dead on the ground. The survivors rush back up the stairwell and out of sight. More Marines suddenly come into view from around the corner that Roxborough came past a few moments before. To your relief, the three of you see that these new Marines are 45th Battalion - your comrades. They look as though they've been through fighting, some are splattered with blood in places. There are five privates and a single sergeant covering the doorway, who mostly ignore you. Moments later, Lieutenant De Loran, the Battalion's second-in-command, strides into view around the corner, fully armoured and with a bayonet fixed to his pulse rifle. He sees you, then switches his focus to the rubble blocking the corridor behind you.

"Did you set charges in there?" He asks, now looking at Corporal Morgan, the engineer present, but then continues regardless, "well, no way to correct it if you haven't. The Captain's dead - Rangers stormed the Marine Barracks. We're the only survivors, eight men plus me and a Medic. The Barracks is lost. I heard a report that the freighters in the hangar were all sabotaged but we don't have any other hope, so we're heading down that way. Fall in and follow me." And, with that, he is turning back to the stairwell doorway. "Throw an incendiary grenade to block off the doorway to the ground floor. Wait a few seconds for some of the smoke to clear, then down as fast as you can go to the fifth underground level. Move!" One of the Privates complies immediately, throwing an incendiary grenade up over the railing to the ground floor level. There is a roar of flame, and smoke billows out of the doorway. The other Marines wait a few moments, then begin running through the doorway and down the stairs toward the lower levels...

Mao
You turn, dreading what you might see behind you, but are relieved to see two Light Marines from your own unit - the 45th Battalion, crouching low against the ground, both with winter coats and gas masks. They must have come from one of the towers. One of them is a Corporal, he speaks first.

"Thank God we found someone else," He says, voice distorted slightly by the gas mask, "we thought we were alone out here. Listen, the base is ****ed, that's obvious, and we need to find the rest of the unit and then try to get off-world. If any of them are alive, they'll be in the lower levels. Doesn't look like we'll get inside the base that way...but we found a large vent opening some distance back. Follow me." He turns and starts running off into the deep snow off the path, his companion following him wordlessly. You notice tracks coming through the deep snow in that direction - apparently their own tracks. You follow them, and, within minutes, have come to what appears to be a large concrete square proturding from the ground, hollow in the middle, and covered by a steel mesh grille. One of the Light Marines wrenches the grille off in seconds, and you see that steel bars driven into the duracrete sides of the duct form a ladder leading down into the shadows beyond. "You'll need thermal imaging." Says the Corporal, before turning to the other Light Marine, a Private. "You go first, Medic, you follow," He says the latter to you, then himself crouches down on one knee, bringing his pulse rifle up to his shoulder. "I'll cover our backs, then follow you through once you're both some way down. Remember, stop at fifth underground. You should be able to get into the air vents from this thing - or better into one of the refuse containers. That way you'll be able to get straight into the corridors. Go!" The other Light Marine begins climbing down the ladder, his pulse rifle hanging off its strap. After a few moments, he is far enough down for you to be able to follow.

PK
Yes. Replies the creature, I wish to escape this world. Death is no barrier for one such as I, but I have several tasks requiring completion that I would not be capable of accomplishing if disembodied. You watch as the front of the creature suddenly seems to split apart down a verticle seam running down its middle. The creature reaches inside of this divide with two of its clawed arms, which emerge moments later, delicately holding a very small purple creature securely between them. The large creature deposits this smaller creature on the ground. You notice that it is not like the other small purple creatures - its head is much larger, and it possesses the enlarged claws that the larger on shares. I am designed only to be able to produce more of the smaller kin - the primitive creatures that attacked you earlier. However, while I cannot engineer new variants according to need as the reds can do, reasoning out how to produce a copy of myself was hardly difficult. Bear in mind that the creature before you possesses no knowledge at present. It will be incapable of communicating with you. It does possess the instinct to feed itself and the capability to do so. It will not feed on humans, as I was originally designed to do. It is quite capable of preserving its own life. See how it watches you carefully? You look down at the smaller creature, which is indeed staring at you intently. It has identified you as sentient. All you need do now is find your way out of this place, and this smaller creature will be able to find it as well. It pauses. My eyes on the higher levels tell me that your surviving comrades are bound for the hangar. I do not know what they expect to find there, but if you intend to meet them, that is where you should go. Suddenly, the smaller purple creature gives a screech, and leaps into an air vent opening in the wall behind you. You hear a clattering noise as it scuttles off into the distance. Goodbye, Lieutenant King. With that, the hanging corpses return, forming a kind of curtain in front of the creature that blocks it from view. Behind you, the door to the corridor opens...

Unread 3 Jan 2005, 16:16   #276
Bakan
To Old to Die......

*Shrugging to himself, Incom nods quickly at the other Morgan and the Marine that helped him up, checks his pulse minigun, then follows the new squad, keeping his eyes and ears open for anything that looks hostile, and if it is hostile, to blow it away.*
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 16:18   #277
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Right…

Fluffie took off his own helmet, reached for the one in the co-pilot’s seat and put it on. Hearing the status request, his mind raced for possible answers to give, while his hand made its way to the transmit button. With light anxiety he pressed it, but the nervousness didn’t spread into his voice. He knew what to do.

“This is Drop 1. Objective secured, but heavy fighting cost us our pilot. We’ve been ordered to proceed to the Base’s hangars...”

He stopped talking into the helmet’s microphone for a moment. Warren smiled, what he had just said sounded quite well and his excuse sounded... well, reasonable to him at least.

“...so please excuse any slobby flying. Drop 1, out.”

Releasing the send button, he puts his left hand on the flight stick, taking a hold off the push throttle with his right. He took in a deep breath and just let himself sink into the moment. Flying a dropship couldn’t be that hard, if those Ranger ****tards could do it, he, Fluffie, would rock at it.

The dropship’s massive engines roared as he increased the throttle, the small craft slowly beginning to lift off, still hovering. As he saw the height increase, he switches the engine vents, having them point more backwards. Increasing his speed some more as he began flying forward, Fluffie starts flying, probably a bit shaky and rumbly, but as good as he can, towards the Hangars of his base.

right, right... push the stick a bit forward, the dropship leans forward and... yes! we're going forward! though this ain't fast now, is it? throttle 3/4 open now.. wooo..

oh.. dear.. ground is a bit close now again..

*fluffie pulls the stick back towards him, the dropship quickly gaining altitude... as soon as he's happy with the height of his craft, he levels the ship again, now just flying forward, back towards the base...

there it is.. home, sweet home.
home sweet blown up home, goddamn... hangars, sixth underground, right...

*the stick gets pushed down some more, the shuttle heading towards the doors, hoping they are open.. if not..

fluffie'll deal with that next post

Last edited by Fluffie; 3 Jan 2005 at 16:31. Reason: editted in fluffie's thoughts during flying
Fluffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 16:21   #278
Dunin Hemm
Bärsärkarvarg

Roxborough waits to let a few men go before her: Better them that her. Relying on safety in numbers, she takes the opportunity to reload her shotgun and launcher (5 grenades left) while moving along with the others. She makes a point of avoiding any physical contact with the men, however.
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 16:53   #279
Darkling

As the the reniforcments made their way through, finding himself under the a long cold stare of the liutenant, making his skin crawl with a nervous tingle. Unable to find much in way of words to respond to the question, luckly though it seemed retorical. Judging form the look of the newly joined marines they fought they way hard to get here, somthing about that made Lewis dread this even more. So far he had been involved in a few light skirmishes but with every new kill or death that sourounded him the feelings of regret where getting dulled by the second.

Mulling over the idea in his head as he grabbed his pack and loaded the pulse rifle clip from earlier that was half way spent already. Finding a spot near the back of the group of marines in a silent contemplation, following nor far from the very rear of the group not really paying as much attention to what was happening elsewhere as he should have been.
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 18:33   #280
Planetkiller II
Current HrH Manijjmint

"Goodbye then. Oddly, I do hope that you survive this. No being truely deserves to die, and if you hold from the harm of innocents, I will have no quarrel with you. This talk has been... interesting, to say the least. I'll head to the hangar, and see what people can be salvaged from this rock."

*PK turned on his heel, and left through the now open door, heading back to the burned out hangar, and other marines, a thought that lifted his heart. He never thought this morning that he'd be so glad just to see other squaddies as he would be now.*

Unread 3 Jan 2005, 18:54   #281
mrmao
oh...sexy...

Alexander started down the ladder after the private. It really was dark in there after going down for a bit Alexander paused to turn on his thermal imaging. He knew that once he was deep in the base he would be safer, but for some reason as Alexander looked down the shaft he pictured it as the jaws of a giant beast that would consume all who would enter. And well Alexander was going into this 'beast' so, he felt as if he was going into even more danger. He took a deep breath and contiued down the shaft, taking it one rung at a time.
Unread 10 Jan 2005, 06:04   #282
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

Quote:
demiGOD
You consider your options. Both of the Bio Marines were armed and armoured, but you feared attracting more of them. You decided to fix your bayonet. The click as the thing locks into place on the barrel of your gun resounds around the room, but you don't hear anything from the Bio Marines. Slowly, carefully, you pull yourself up, looking over the top of the console in front of you. Both of them have their backs turned to you, and from the way their pulse rifles hang from their straps, both have largely given up on your being present.
...good.. they think noone's here.. screw the knife on my bayonet, I can waste both of them right now...

Slowly, Demi takes aim on top of the console and aims to the left, and to one the Bio Marines' center mass, aiming for the back - with one slick motion, he places his rifle on semi-automatic, cocks its firing pin, and pulls the trigger aiming for one BioMarine "click-click BAMMM!!!" and in a split-second takes aim to the other BioMarine on the right, and "BAMMM!!!"

The smoke from the rifle's barrel seem to blind Demi for a couple of seconds as he scans the ground for assesing if the shots were successful.

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Jan 2005, 23:19   #283
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

he said this weekend........... if not

*fluffie starts turning his rope into a lasso, keeping a sharp eye on dachi

start readying the tar and feathers boys, ye never know with this one..
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 17:00   #284
Bakan
To Old to Die......

Well, the weekend has now passed.

*Set's loose the hound-dogs keyed to No Dachi's scent, then pulls out a tranq-rifle and goes looking for No Dachi.*
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 17:26   #285
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

we might have to go easy on the man
the single two lines he typed on msn didn't sound as cheery as usual :eek:
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 17:27   #286
No Dachi

That was because the random seed generator in Civ3 utterly raped me yet again.

Edit: Then those bastard Ottomans overran my only source of Saltpeter, the ****ers.
Edit (again): And none of the AI Civs would sell me Nationalism and I didn't have any Coal anywhere in my territory. It does that to me every time.

Unread 17 Jan 2005, 17:46   #287
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Quote:
That was because the random seed generator in Civ3 utterly raped me yet again.

Edit: Then those bastard Ottomans overran my only source of Saltpeter, the ****ers.
Edit (again): And none of the AI Civs would sell me Nationalism and I didn't have any Coal anywhere in my territory. It does that to me every time.

Tell'em Fluffie won't fly if they don't play nice.
Then get about finding some spare time to DM? Or we'll really sic Bakan on you... And you know about Bakan's appetite for... someone.. like you...

Don't you?
Unread 23 Jan 2005, 21:56   #288
No Dachi

Need a post from Inspectre and/or Crazy.

Unread 26 Jan 2005, 22:32   #289
No Dachi

There's no post from either.

I am debating attempting to finish this thread (with myself). It would be nice to finish a thread for once, but then this isn't a "proper" thread and I doubt that doing so would make all the Doubting Simons among you properly apologetic. There's also a large number of threads like this at the moment and I feel I should be putting my efforts toward something different.

Oh, Hewitt could post in place of Inspectre or Crazy, since they were all going in roughly the same direction for roughly the same purpose ho ho ho

Unread 26 Jan 2005, 22:46   #290
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

No.

You (No Dachi) are going to bloody finish this thread. And ye're not going to kill it. You'll end it decently.

You ain't got no choice. I'm pulling stripes on this one
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 22:47   #291
No Dachi

But don't you want to see what will be different in the next one? It's the same characters...besides which it isn't Christmas any more.

Unread 26 Jan 2005, 22:50   #292
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

This one is finished when we take over the frigate and flee to outer fringe i know where to from there on out find my girl and the other guy's girl?

so this thread ending would be us rp-ing the frigate take over or you writing a fancy and big ass posting saying what happens - both ending with us leaving this god forsaken rock after having killed those ****ing bio marines and idiotic rangers. and having nuked the base. i dislike it.

and hten, next time, possibly same characters and starting out in frigate in god knows where or again a totally new thing.

stuff?
Unread 26 Jan 2005, 22:59   #293
No Dachi

I could probably manage a fancy big-ass post.

Unread 27 Jan 2005, 05:17   #294
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Oh, Hewitt could post in place of Inspectre or Crazy, since they were all going in roughly the same direction for roughly the same purpose ho ho ho
Lemme guess, a horrible painful death right?.... yeah I could do that.

"One hour of thinking is better than 70 years of divine service."
- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2005, 04:20   #295
mrmao
oh...sexy...

oh i solve the debate.

My value for this case will be Utillitarism(greatest good to the greatest number of people)

My Criertion is Finishing a popular thread.

Contention One- As man evolved he developed free time, unless this free time is filled men become restless and iritable. This leads to violence against well, Lazy DM's, Annoying younger siblings, etc. and sp forth.

Contention Two- My Value is supported becuase of the fact that not only will No Dachi be spared Violence but out need for entertaniment is fullfilled. Also this offers a fairly wholsomealternive to all the porn that the internet is filled with and harvard studies have shown porn to effect the brain in the same way as most drugs, to put it simply porn=addiction=bad, porn=bad.
Unread 28 Jan 2005, 08:48   #296
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

Translation from lawyerspeak to english,

"We know where you live."

"One hour of thinking is better than 70 years of divine service."
- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Jan 2005, 20:56   #297
No Dachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmao
oh i solve the debate.

My value for this case will be Utillitarism(greatest good to the greatest number of people)

My Criertion is Finishing a popular thread.

Contention One- As man evolved he developed free time, unless this free time is filled men become restless and iritable. This leads to violence against well, Lazy DM's, Annoying younger siblings, etc. and sp forth.

Contention Two- My Value is supported becuase of the fact that not only will No Dachi be spared Violence but out need for entertaniment is fullfilled. Also this offers a fairly wholsomealternive to all the porn that the internet is filled with and harvard studies have shown porn to effect the brain in the same way as most drugs, to put it simply porn=addiction=bad, porn=bad.
DAMN YOU, SOCIAL UTILITARISM! I am foiled yet again. So, here's what I'll be doing:

-Large "finishing post" explaining how you all escape.
-New thread!

That was quite complex. Here it is again in italics:

-Large "finishing post" explaining how you all escape.
-New thread!

Expect the large post fairly soon, and the new thread (!) fairly soon thereafter.

Unread 29 Jan 2005, 00:58   #298
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Quote:
Expect the large post fairly soon, and the new thread (!) fairly soon thereafter.

lIES,
ALLL LIEESSS,
/DRUN
Unread 29 Jan 2005, 01:33   #299
mrmao
oh...sexy...

excellent i win
Unread 30 Jan 2005, 22:54   #300
No Dachi

I've siezed control of your characters for the duration of your post. If they don't do anything that you'd do then, well. My advice is to write a letter to me, complaining angrily about my abuse of your characters' personalities, then not send it.

Getting down the stairs is going to be tricky...
Corporal Incom Morgan thought to himself, looking at the steps winding down beneath themselves below him, to the lower depths of the main facility from which he had originally ascended. Above him, the fire from the incendiary grenade raged to itself, with no sign of activity from the Rangers who lurked unseen behind the doorway. Corporal Morgan watched the other Marines file passed him and down the steps, one by one. Finally, he was the last man there. Still he waited, then-

"All clear down here!" Came a shout from below, echoing up to the Corporal from the walls of the stairwell. Incom didn't recognise the voice; probably an enlisted rank from one of the other squads.

"Confirm!" Incom shouted in reply, before edging forward toward the steps. Turning sideways on, he edged his way slowly downwards, step by step, coming down heavily each time with the alarming, but thankfully brief, feeling of falling forwards. He reached the platform mid-way between the floor above and the floor below, to see another man standing next to the open doorway down the next short flight of steps ahead of him. On seeing the Corporal, the other man, ranked Private and wearing a gas mask, produced an incendiary grenade and, removing the pin, threw it up over the railing above his head and into the doorway. Acrid black smoke filled the corridor, and seconds later flames clung to the walls of the stairwell, blocking the doorway to the Armoury Corridor off completely.

"The Lieutenant and the others went on ahead," Ezplained the Private, turning to look directly at Incom through the reflective glass eyeholes in his gas mask, "I volunteered to stay behind. We need to double time it to the hangar." His voice was distorted from being spoken through the external speakers of the gas mask and, Incom realised, it was the same voice that had shouted up to him before. Rear-guard. "The Lieutenant didn't leave me in any doubt that they'd leave if we weren't there when they were able to." And, without another word, he turned and started down the stairs. Incom followed, edging his way sideways down the stairs as before, still feeling unbalanced with every new step. Thankfully, the trip down was relatively quiet. None of the creatures that he'd encountered earlier on his way up from the office were in sight. Briefly, Incom wondered what had happened to the civilians in the office, but quickly dismissed them; there was nothing he could do for them now. Together, the two Marines made their slow, but steady, progress down to the sixth underground floor, into the darkness. After pausing briefly to make sure their thermal imaging overlays were still functioning properly, they stepped out of the stairwell and into the darkened corridor.

Some fairly large explosives must have gone off here...
Corporal Lewis Morgan decided, surveying the extensive damage to the hangar. The lights were completley out, but Corporal Morgan was seeing the wreckage without the aid of thermal imaging - large fires continued to blaze merilly on the hangar floor and walls, unworried by the dozen-or-so Marines newly arrived in the cavernous room. There were four hangars, each separated from the next by a thin steel wall - at least in design; at the explosions, which had taken place in the third and first hangars from the right hand side of the row, had blown out large sections of the adjoining walls so that their volumes merged into one. Satisfied that there was nothing to see in the fourth hangar along - the one at the far left of the row - Corporal Morgan let his pulse rifle hang loose by its strap again, using both hands to steady himself as he stepped through a jagged tear in the steel partition, back into the third hangar, where the other Marines were. There wasn't much to see. The Lieutenant still looked as though he had a plan - but it was becoming obvious that he'd been banking on the freighters that had been docked in the hangar being in-tact. Corporal Morgan briefly considered the prospect of freezing to death in the hangar - the explosion had also destroyed sections of the exterior wall, allowing the freezing air in through the gaps - trapped between the hostile Marines above and the other hostiles reportedly lurking in the floors below. Fortunatly, for now at least, there didn't seem to be any enemies nearby. Suddenly, a high-pitched whining noise cut across the low murmer of voices in the hangar, coming from outside. The Lieutenant reacted immediately.

"Dropship! Find cover!" He yelled, already running across the floor of the room toward a mess of crates that had been thrown against the walls by the force of the explosion. Corporal Morgan ran for the burnt-out wreckage of one of the freighters and knelt down, one hand holding the pistol grip of his pulse rifle and the other resting on the still-warm wreck to steady himself. He saw Corporal Roxborough - the female soldier from the Armoury - take cover on the other side of the wreck, with a standard Marine private he hasn't seen before taking shelter between them. The high pitched droning of the dropship engines grew louder, and leaning out from behind the torn edge of the wreckage, Morgan could see the brilliant blue glare of the dropship's engines - currently in the verticle landing position - through one of the holes in the hangar doors. Suddenly, a hiss of static from his personal communicator drowned out everything else.

"Corporal Fluffie to 45th Line Battalion, all personnel, report in, over."

The voice, and the accompanying crackle of static...
Cut neatly across Lieutenant King's line of thought. He was walking back along the corridor which he had stumbled down earlier, attempting to escape from the purple creatures - which were now nowhere in sight. He had eventually left the...the storage room, after having taken shelter in there for a while. It had been quite uneventful, just him and the crates, and thankfully no sign of any of the purple creatures. The Lieutenant removed his helmet for a moment, holding it in his left hand while he scratched his head with the right, his pulse rifle hanging by its strap. He had the powerful sensation that he'd forgotten something important. Another voice on his personal communicator pushed these lingering doubts aside - Lieutenant De Loran, the Battalion's 2iC.

"Recieving, Corporal Fluffie, what's your status, over?" Said the man's voice.

"Stole an enemy Dropship, am holding position outside of hangar doors. Request orders, over." Replied the first voice, apparently belonging to this Corporal Fluffie. Lieutenant King looked to his right, helmet now replaced and the thermal imaging visor on, and saw a plaque on the wall reading "Control Room", and a door to the left.

"This is Lieutenant King," He stated, using both hands to wrench the sliding door open - it was meant to be automatic, but the power was off, "I'm at the Control Room. Will open the hangar bay doors and then get to your position, over."

"Confirm, Lieutenant," De Loran returned, "with the freighters gone, that thing's our only way off this planet. Double time it to the hangars once you're done. The rest of you, maintain radio silence. Those Rangers might be able to pick up our communications. Over." Lieutenant King nodded to noone in particular, and stepped into the control room. It was lit by dim red emergency lighting, which unnervingly reminded the Lieutenant of blood. And, on closer inspection, there was a technican slumped over one bank of consoles with a look of terror on his face and a neat puncture wound in his back, dried blood caking his uniform around it. Lieutenant King pulled the man back away from the console and gently lay him to rest against the wall. The room was cramped - four metres in length, two wide - with one bank of consoles against the left wall and one against the wall opposite from the door. The rest of the floorspace in the room was taken up by two wheeled desk chairs. PK sat down in one of them and looked at the console in front of him - it was difficult to pick out the different command buttons, through the pale green blanket provided by thermal imaging, but in short order he found four adjacent push switches marked "A", "B", "C" and "D". The hangars, obviously. All of the switches were currently toward him. Lieutenant King pushed all of them forward and prayed that the bay door mechanisms were still operational before getting up from the chair and heading out back into the corridor. Checking left and right, he again saw no sign of the purple creatures from before and then set off down the corridor back toward the hangars, his bootsteps ringing out through the corridor. Presently, he was at the door to the hangar, which was closed. Lieutenant King keyed in the same key code he'd used before and the door hissed open, just in time for him to see the shape of the dropship drifting haphazardly through the hangar bay door in front of him...

Easy does it...
Private First Class Yuechenko dropped down from the long steel access ladder, stretching upwards for a hundred metres or more to the bright, and now very small, circle of light high above that was the vent's opening onto Novagorsk's surface. Wordlessly, the Corporal, one of the two Marines that Alexander was with, smashed the hinged access door into the facility in with the butt of his pulse rifle before the other Marine - a Private - stepped through with his pulse rifle raised to his shoulder, scanning around briefly before signalling the all-clear. Alexander and the Corporal followed through. He knew the name of either; they had all three travelled in near-silence to reduce their chance of being somehow located by the Rangers on the facility's topside. They were in a long, dark access corridor, lit only by the false-colour of their thermal imaging visors, and with the only apparent exit at the far end. The corridor was around twenty metres long - it would have to be long, in order to connect the air vent to the facility, the topside opening had been quite distant from the surface facility. Alexander had no idea which level they were on - they'd had to descend pretty far down before they'd found an opening big enough for a human to pass through. They reached the door - this one also hinged - and the two other Marines again repeated the procedure from before, the Corporal smashing down the door and the Private moving through, checking around before signalling for the others to follow. Alexander stepped through this new door, and looked around. It didn't take long to figure out that something was wrong; they were in an armoury, but the only armouries in the facility - that Alexander knew of - were on the first underground floor of the main facility and the second underground floor of the Marine Barracks. They were way below the first and second underground floors. A pair of thick double doors on the opposite wall of the room were the only other entrance into it, and, curiously, the lights were still on. Alexander walked up to one of the armour racks in the room. Lots of gas masks. Lockers lined one wall of the room and the Private opened one of them - apparently unsealed.

"Shit!" He exclaimed, reaching inside the locker to pull something unseen out from within it, "Bio Division uniforms! Look at the unit badge!" He held out the uniform for the Corporal to inspect, and Alexander walked over to take a look as well. The laurel leaves of the United Nations, picked out in white, surrounding a blue shield on which a biohazard symbol stood out - also in white. It was, without a doubt, a Biological Warfare Division unit. The Corporal opened up another locker and peered inside.

"No uniform in this one," He commented, "but it's got other kit in it. If this shit belongs to Bio Marines, they're still here."

"There aren't any Bio Marines stationed at this base though...we would have been briefed if there were." The Private reminded them, apparently still not fully understanding how the Bio Marines could have remained in the facility without them knowing.

"We must have come down below the main facility," Alexander said, looking around the room for some indication of what level they were on, "into the no-access zones. They weren't off-limits because corrosion made them dangerous, they were off-limits because the Bio Division had a secret base down here underneath the other secret base. But why would they go to all this trouble-" The sliding doors slid open, Alexander and the other two Marines whirled around, guns raised, to face the threat. Two Bio Marines, both of them dressed in uniform, less armour - standard dress when not in combat - both temporarily stunned. A second later, and one of them reached for his pulse pistol. The three Marines of the 45th Battalion opened fire almost as one, and the two Bio Marines were killed almost instantly as pulse rounds shredded their unprotected flesh.

"Get anything you need and then get the hell through that door - we need to get out of here fast!" Shouted the Corporal, grabbing a handful of high-explosive grenades and fastening them to the straps on his belt. Alexander heaped several clips into one of the pouches on his combat webbing and grabbed an Mp10 and some soft point clips for good measure. The Private took a shotgun and several grenades, and then the alarm went off, warning klaxons wailing impossibly loud. A Bio Marine, fully equipped and gas masked, brandishing a bayonetted pulse rifle, suddenly appeared in the doorway, raising his gun to his shoulder before being felled by a well-placed burst from the Corporal. Time to go. Alexander and the Private rushed to the open doorway, and the Private leant out around the corner to scan left from the direction the Bio Marine had come.

"Clear!" He yelled, before creeping out from behind the doorway, scanning across the wide corridor now ahead of them. Alexander and the Corporal followed him out. Looking left, Alexander saw a checkpoint shielded by what was presumably bullet-proof glass and accessed by an armoured steel door. The man had apparently seen the two other Bio Marine go down, triggered the alarm and then rushed out to meet the intruders. The three Marines of the 45th rushed down the wide corridor ahead, boots clattering on the steel floor, and reached a wide, heavy steel bulkhead at the end just as it began to open, moving upwards into the cieling. Thinking fast, the Private thumbed the pin from a grenade and bounced it through the widening expanse between the bulkhead door and the floor.

"Grenade! Clear out!" Shouted an unseen voice from behind the door and, seconds later, a loud, clear explosion rung out through the corridor. The bulkhead door was now open to about waist height. Alexander dropped to one knee, pulse rifle at his shoulder, and looked through the gap. A wide, open room - some kind of hallway - was beyond. Four Bio Marines lay dead or else critically wounded around a section of scorched floor where the grenade had gone off.

"Clear!" Reported the Medic, before rolling forwards underneath the bulkhead and into the room beyond. The Private and the Corporal followed him through. For a second the three of them knelt still, watching their zones. The room was long and relatively narrow, a wall immediately to their right bearing the Biological Warfare Division's logo formed one end of the room, while at the other end of its length was what appeared to be an elevator. Doors, double and single, opened up into the room symmetrically from either side at regular intervals. The cieling, high above, formed a long arch above their heads. It took a few moments for Alexander to see that the floor was paved with fine, blue granite slabs and that the walls were some kind of eye-pleasing sandstone masonry. This section of the facility had been done up for visitors. Suddenly, one of the single doors to the hallway burst open, and four combat-ready Bio Marines rushed out into the open. Well-aimed fire from the 45th Marines killed the first two through the door almost instantly, while the third threw himself to the floor, sliding across its polished surface for a short distance before coming to a stop, and the fourth ducked back behind the doorway, taking cover there. The Marine on the floor opened fire with a burst and the Private to Yuschenko's left was thrown back through the bulkhead opening, a fine red spray of blood hanging in the air. Alexander lined up the Bio Marine's head through his gunsights and, calmly, squeezed the trigger. The first pulse round sent the man's helmet flying, while the other two pierced his skull and detonated, literally destroying his head in a shower of crimson gore. The other Bio Marine leant out from the doorway and squeezed off two rounds, only to be dropped by return fire from the Corporal. The threat momentarily taken care of, Alexander and the Corporal turned back to the Private, who had managed to prop himself up against the left wall of the corridor, and was still clutching his pulse rifle. Three large holes shattered the front of his body armour, and through them Alexander could see blood and glisteneing flesh, as well as the white of shattered bone. It didn't take a Medic to figure out he was going to die in short order.

"Painkillers!" The Private hissed through clenched teeth. Alexander reached for his pouch of medical supplies, produced a syringe, flicked the needle end experimentally and then injected its contents into the man's arm, pushing the plunger home smoothly. He loosened up almost immediately. "Thanks Doc," he said, and Alexander could already hear his breathing taking on a laboured air to it, "I can still aim and shoot. You guys get to the elevator and I'll cover your backs." The Corporal nodded. Alexander could see neither man's face - both wore gas masks - but he had no doubt the expression on the Corporal's would be grim. The man rose up to his feet, pulling Alexander away by his arm. Reluctantly, Yuschenko turned as well, and the two of them dashed across the stone floor toward the elevator doors. Alexander caught a glimpse of double doors on the left wall opening as he rushed passed, and heard gunfire ringing out behind him. As he reached the far wall of the hallways next to the elevator doors, he flattened himself against the wall and turned. Two more Bio Marines lay dead on the floor. The Corporal keyed in a quick combination on the number lock of the elevator door and it emitted a harsh buzzing tone.

"Shit! They're running different codes - get back, I'll blow the door with a grenade." He said, voice twisted by the gas mask, and already reaching for the grenades at his belt. Alexander moved down toward the right side of the hallway, staying flat against the wall behind him, and, seconds later, an explosion sent pieces of debris spinning across the floor of the room. The Corporal and the Medic were through the door and into the elevator quickly - Alexander noticed that the interior was distinctly unglamorous, and identical to the service cargo elevators that ran through the facility's length. "We should be able to get straight to the hangars in this thing," the Corporal said, hammering the button for the sixth underground floor, "those freighters should still be there, that's our best bet for getting off this rock." The powerful engines powering the freight lift - designed for heavy loads indeed - droned into life, and Alexander caught one last glimpse of the Private, still slumped against the wall with his right arm held high in fairwell, before they were up past the top of the hole in the doors and away into the darkness above...

The ringing in his ears fading...
Lieutenant Tremaine pulled himself to his feet, testing his limbs carefully for fractures. Nothing broken, but rather a kind of general ache all about the body. He felt a bit dazed, and set about trying to remember what had happened to send him out of the loop for a few moments...or more. The 2nd Lieutenant looked around the small, cramped room that he and the other two Marines - Private Scarez and a Corporal named Sharpe who he had not met before - now occupied. White ceramic tiles covered the floor and the walls - they were obviously in the Research area of the facility. Lieutenant Tremaine turned and looked back at Private Scarez, who was pulling himself up off the floor. Behind him, the long shape of the collapsed section of air vent slanted down through a ragged hole in the cieling to the floor below. As far as Jake could remember, they'd been making their way along the vent in an effort to reach the peimeter corridor and stairs to the hangars when the floor had given way, and they all three had been plunged into the room below. Corporal Sharpe sat quite contentedly on top of the collapsed vent, pulse rifle hanging by its strap. He had that kind of edged look in his eye that was a message to any other soldier that saw it - this man had seen too much fighting. Jake knew the look better than many; he had it himself, it'd been there for a while. Jake looked around again. Broken glass from some complex lab apparatus set-up that had had the misfortune to have been positioned beneath the vent littered the floor. Jake took a step forward toward a sliding door, shards of glass crunching underfoot, and Scarez followed apprehensively. Corporal Sharpe pulled himself laboriously to his feet, and took one step forward before stopping, and gesturing toward the lower part of the wall to his left with the muzzle of his pulse rifle.

"Blood." He said simply. Turning, Jake quickly saw what he meant. A dark red stain, smeered as though its source had been dragged away, covered one section of the wall. Obviously, the labs hadn't been exempt from the chaos elsewhere in the facility.

"Watch your backs, could be ****ing Rangers down here as well." Jake ordered, once again moving toward the door. He punched in a quick key combination and, to his relief, the door slid open. Apparently his Officer's access codes worked in the restricted lab areas as well. Jake proceded through into the next room, trying to bring to mind the floor plans for the laboratory section before remembering that he'd never actually followed the brief and looked at the design blueprints in detail. Never mind; he'd got out of worse situations than this one before. Jake pasued briefly and looked around the new room. It looked like a simple access area of some kind - just ceramic tiled walls and floor, no equipment, but with lots of doors leading off, presumably to more individual labs like the one they'd just left. He reached a set of double doors and keyed in another combination. They slid open smoothly, and he found himself staring down the barrel of a pulse rifle. Scarez and Corporal Sharpe had their own weapons to shoulder almost instantly, and for a few moments, there was only tense silence. Then, Jake diverted his attention away from the rifle's muzzle, and to the man behind it. Light Marine, Corporal...Hewitt. The other man recognised him almost at the same instant - Jake was, after all, his commanding officer.

"Good to see some friendly faces down here," Hewitt remarked, and, for the first time, Jake spotted a woman standing behind him. Dressed as a lab assistant. Probably wouldn't be much use in combat. Nonetheless, Jake pulled out one of the pistols holstered at his hip and, ensuring that the safety was on, tossed it through the air toward her. The woman immediately jumped backwards against the wall and watched the pistol bounce passed across the floor. Corporal Hewitt took on an exasperated look, Jake grinned wolfishly and Corporal Crazy watched the procedings with just the slightest hint of amusement on his face. Private Scarez, who obviously hadn't been paying attention, jumped at the sound of the pistol clattering against the ceramic floor tiles and brought the muzzle of his pulse rifle up, scanning around nervously.

"Calm down, Private, or you'll give yourself a stomach ulcer." Jake said, walking over to the pistol before picking it up and holding it out to the woman, grip first. She took it gingerly, turning it around in her hand as though examining it.

"That's Catherine," Hewitt explained, "she's not very talkative. Claimed there's something inside here but if there is, I haven't seen it yet."

"Well, we sure saw what it can do - fairly big bloodstain on the wall in the room we just left." Jake said, trying to shake off the feeling that he'd forgotten something terribly important. It came back to him suddenly. "Oh SHIT! Those explosives are going to go off!" He remembered Corporal Hewitt's post being at the entrance to the laboratory area, back at the perimeter corridor for this floor. "Corporal, back to the perimeter corridor, lead the way, move! Move!" Corporal Hewitt turned immediately, running back through the open doorway through which he'd apparently just passed. Tremaine set off after him, holding the pistol grip of his pulse rifle and looking around to make sure the others were still in tow - they were all moving, with Corporal Sharpe bringing up the rear. They passed through a laboratory full of what looked like broken specimen containers, with more bloodstains on the walls and floor, and through another door, into a long corridor. Here, Corporal Hewitt stopped. Jake saw why within a few moments - two of the dog-sized ant creatures from before lay dead and broken on the floor of the corridor about ten metres in front of them, and further ahead from them, two Rangers. "CONTACT!" He shouted, dropping to one knee and flattening himself against the wall of the corridor before snapping off two shots. One of the Rangers went down with a cry, the other skidded back around the corner into whatever room lay beyond at the end of the corridor. Jake turned to look at Hewitt and the Corporal managed to reply to his question before it was spoken.

"That's the reception room, it opens onto the perimeter corridor." He said, and Jake could just about make out frantic shouting coming from the other end of the corridor - the surviving Ranger was calling for reinforcements. "The stairwell door is just opposite the exit, on the other side of the perimeter corridor." He went on. Jake nodded.

"Get to the end of the corridor and give them some of that assault shotgun. I'll cover your advance. Get a grenade down there!" He bellowed. Private Scarez obliged within seconds, pulling the pin free and giving it a powerful underhand throw that send it tumbling across the floor and out into the open room beyond. Seconds later it exploded, a bright flash of light followed by smoke and skittering floor tiles. "Go! Go! Go!" Hewitt was already on his way, moving down the corridor as quickly as he could while keeping the muzzle of his assault shotgun up and trained on the opening. The Ranger appeared in the doorway seconds later, obviously unphased by the grenade, but a tightly-packed spray of shotgun pellets floored him in a fraction of a second. Corporal Hewitt dissapeared behind the doorway, then, seconds later, shouted the all clear. Jake and the others moved up to the end of the corridor quickly, and were in the reception room. A dead purple creature of some description, that looked strangely familiar somehow, lay on the floor surrounded by a pool of congealing blood. Jake strained his ears - bootsteps clattering on concrete steps, they were heading down the stairwell. "Get a grenade in there!" And, again, Scarez thumbed the pin on a high explosive grenade and sent it through the doorway. Corporal Crazy sent an incendiary grenade in after it. Jake continued to shout orders, drowning out the sound of the incendiary grenade going off. "Down the elevator shaft! Go!" He put the stock of his pulse rifle to his shoulder, creeping sideways in front of the doorway to the stairwell before kicking the hinged door in. It squeaked open on rusted hinges, and a blast of scorching air assured Jake that nothing was going to get down the stairs. He turned to see the two Corporals wrenching the double elevator doors open from either side. Private Scarez was on one knee and firing - Jake could see two more of the ant creatures scuttling down the corridor toward them, but moments later both were shredded by Scarez' fire. Catherine, who had been haphazardly squeezing off individual shots with the pistol, continued firing regardless untill her clip was empty. The doors were open. "Down the shaft! Use the winch line! Go!" The Corporals hesitated, and Jake decided that there was no time for delay. He let his pulse rifle hang by its strap before throwing himself through the open elevator doorway, into the lift shaft below. Catching the steel elevator cable, the momentum of his jump swung him around it, and he began descending. He could see the top of the elevator cabin below, just about picked out by the dim red lighting on the shaft's interior. Looking above, he could see Scarez following him down. Jake hit the roof of the elevator cabin, rolling sideways to disperse some of the force of the fall, and scrambling to a crouching position, smashed in a wire grill opening on the cabin's roof, Scarez immediately jumping through. Catherine landed shortly afterwards, falling flat on her face with a shriek - not everyone had been through the Marine Corps assault course, he reminded himself - and Hewitt touched down a moment later, rolling sideways as Jake had done. Pulling Catherine up to a crouch, he pushed her toward the opening in the roof of the cabin and she quickly took the hint, dropping down through it clumsily. Hewitt followed closely after, at the same time that Corporal Sharpe hit the roof. Almost immediately, he was through as well. Jake looked upwards, and saw two narrow laser beams cutting down the lift shaft toward him - Rangers. Suddenly, bullets were whining off the metal work around him. Jake didn't need much more of a reminder, and dropped down through the vent opening himself, into the elevator cabin, before scrambling through the open doors into the long corridor beyond. Seconds later, an earth-shattering boom reverberated down the elevator shaft behind him, and the ground bucked alarmingly beneath his feet, flooring him and the others. A low rumbling noise audible through the cieling told Jake that at least a section of the Armoury's floor had caved in. A few streams of fine dust descended from gaps in the cieling tiles, filling the air. Jake dismissed the Rangers from his mind for the time being.

Buttons...
Fluffie noted, still not entirely comfortable in the pilot's seat of the dropship. He'd managed to get through the open hangar door - just about - but he'd heard distinctly the sound of metal scraping on metal as he he'd done so.

"Everyone that responded to the personal coms broadcast is aboard, Corporal." Lieutenant DeLoran's voice said, coming through loud and clear over the cockpit's boosted radio unit. "The Armoury explosion really ****ed the superstructure over - this place is coming apart. We can't wait for the others, I'm ordering you to take off immediately." Fluffie shook his head slightly - though he was the only one in the cockpit to see it, catching the movement by his reflection in the slanted transparasteel of the cockpit canopy. He didn't like the thought of leaving troops behind on this frozen hell-hole, but then, he'd heard bits of the roof bouncing off the dropship's hull - the base was obviously falling apart. Reluctantly, Fluffie pushed the throttle of the aircraft up to 60% power - enough to lift the heavy boat off the ground with the vents in the vertical position. Once the radar showed him hovering a metre or so above the ground, he retracted the dropship's landing legs - bulky and reinforced with shock dampeners, designed to absorb the impact of hitting the ground at considerable speed - and switched the vents back two points. The dropship began to drift forwards, out through the hangar door. Fluffie was in the light again, sunlight managing to fall even against the rocky canyon walls with the system's twin suns in the noon position. Fluffie cranked the vents back to flat-out backward facing, and the dropship fell away into the depths of the canyon. With this much room below him, he could afford to lose a little altitude. Fluffie watched the canyon walls streaking by for a few moments before pushing the throttle rapidly up to 100% power, and pushing it forward once more to ignite the boosters. A deafening roar of fusion drives, and the dropship was moving forwards. Fluffie pulled back on the pitch control, bringing the nose of the dropship up, and within moments they were at their previous height, and a few moments after that, out of the canyon altogether. Fluffie cast an appreciative eye over the pristine white snow stretching in all directions. Funny how the first time he'd seen the beauty on this moon was when he was 200 metres above its surface...

"Drop 1, Drop 1, come in Drop 1, this is the Mithradates, over." A voice cut across his line of thought. The Mithradates was the frigate hovering menacingly just below cloud level above the facility. Fluffie had first seen it just after leaving the Tower, but he'd got a better look at it while he was flying over the base to the canyon. "Cordite" Fast Response Class - designed to deliver elite Marine Battalions to crisis points quickly, and then give them fire support once they got there. It was armed and armoured, with powerful engines and a top-of-the-range MkVIII Hyperdrive - and Fluffie was going to steal it. It was the only way off the moon. Fluffie tried to remember what he'd told the ship before...MedEvac, that was it. He'd told them he was doing a MedEvac run to the Hangar to pick up some wounded Rangers. Or something. He'd told them he was flying to the Hangar anyway; they hadn't objected. Fluffie shifted the roll control to the right and pulled back on the pitch - banking around. He could feel the Gs pulling him into the floor of the dropship. It was kind of fun, wrestling against the elements with the controls of this thing. It made him feel powerful, which was never a bad thing, given that his usual experience of combat was being on the recieving end of heavy ordnance.

"Confirm, Mithradates, this is Drop 1," He replied, the Frigate just coming into view through the cockpit canopy as he spoke. "Picked up wounded, inbound to your position at present."

"We got reports of a big explosion on the second floor - did you hear that at all?"

"Heard a bit of rumbling, nothing more than that." He said, taking in the sleek angles of the Frigate as it gleamed in the yellow sunlight.

"Confirm. Will you need assistance on docking to unload the wounded?"

"Negative, took a few Medics aboard at the hangar." He said, thinking fast. He ran the sentence over in his mind immediately after speaking it - seemed acceptable.

"Acknowledged. Procede to Aft Port Docking Bay 2. Docking Bay door will be open on arrival. Over and out." Fluffie made sure the line was dead, then swore loudly. He didn't know which one Aft-Port-Docking-****ing-Bay-****ing-2 was.

"Coming up on the Frigate now, eta 30 seconds approx. Docking Bay should be clear, but prepare for fire anyway." He said, finger pressed firmly down on the "Intercom" button to make sure it went to the dropship and the dropship only.

"Affirm." Lieutenant De Loran replied, keeping things brief.

"Affirm." Replied another voice Fluffie didn't recognise.

"Roger that." Said Lieutenant Tremaine's voice - Fluffie recognised that one. Second Lieutenant Tremaine was his commanding officer. Fluffie squinted through the transparasteel canopy, trying to make out the ports on the Frigate's side. One of them was opening. That had to be Aft Port Docking Bay 2, then. Fluffie eased back on the Throttle, and pushed the vents forward to slow him down a bit, offering up a silent prayer to whatever gods were watching that he should get control of that frigate and then make it back to his wife and daughter on Earth alive...

Gunfire echoed passed through the corridor...
It was far-off, but Corporal Roxborough knew any chance of surprise was long since gone as soon as those shots rang out. Not that they'd been relying on it anyway. There were two scenarios that the Corporal could see: either, the Rangers were all on the ground, leaving the crew of around 80 that most Frigates carried to repell around 20 heavily-armed Marines of the 45th; or, there were one or two Squads of Rangers still aboard, and the diluted, exhausted 45th Marines were going to be slaughtered. Roxborough forced the apprehension to the back of her mind. If she did die, she saved herself from days trapped in a Frigate in Hyperspace transit full of men - thought one of them had managed to bring back a female lab assistant from the upper levels, which would have eased the tension a little bit - and, if she didn't, then she'd get to see a little more of the galaxy before passing on. She gave up creep-walking along the corridor and broke into a run, feeling the deck tremble slightly beneath her feet as the heavy marine - Corporal Incom Morgan - accelerated into a cybernetically-powered run behind her. A gas masked Marine, ranking Private, who'd arrived in the Hangar with Morgan followed close behind Roxborough. They were heading for the Armoury. Marines were taught that there were four critical zones on any warship that would yield control of the ship if captured all, and that would sometimes yield control of the ship if one or two were taken. Life Support, because almost any crew would surrender rather than asphyxiate and then have the enemy take the ship anyway after they were all dead; Bridge, from where most of the ship's systems were controlled, and where the vessel's Commander could usually be found; Engine Room, which could be destroyed if necessary or else siezed and powered down to take the ship into darkness; and finally the Armoury, which the ship's crew would need to reach in order to arm themselves in the event of a boarding action. This was a Frigate - small ship, so only one Armoury. The Heavy Marine, one of two, along with Roxborough and the Private, had been sent for the Armoury. Life Support and the Engine Room had been left out, because the atmosphere on Novgorod was just about breathable and because they needed the engines to be operable in order to get off the moon. The other Marines were all heading for the Bridge. Two crewmen appeared up ahead, dressed in the dark blue UN Space Naval uniforms, and both holding pistols - experienced crewmen often carried holstered sidearms about their person at all times. Unfortunately, this made each of them a threat. Roxborough squeezed off two automatic shotgun blasts which sent one of the men to the floor even at this range, whilst gunfire from the gas masked Private took out the other. Corporal Morgan presently slowed to a halt, coming to rest just in front of the Armoury door, and planted himself down - positioning himself so as to brace against the recoil of the powerful pulse minigun. Almost immediately, it whirred into life and began to spit pulse rounds down the corridor around the corner to the right, at whatever unseen enemies lurked there that Cali could not see. She reached the Armoury door. The crew were obviously inexperienced - they hadn't even locked the ship down yet - and the door slid open upon her approach. Inside, she saw another crewman ranking Petty Officer pulling on an armoured vest. At the sound of the Armoury door opening, he turned around and put his hands above his head, clearly surrendering. The Private reached through the doorway and pulled him out into the corridor, shoving him along back down the direction from which they'd arrived after making sure he wasn't armed. With the Armoury controlled, the ship's crewmen - those that were unarmed - were not threat, and the surviving Officers of the 45th had decided after some debate (Lieutenant Tremaine claiming they should be shot to save time, Lieutenant King protesting that they were just doing their jobs and should be set loose) that the crewmen would be herded onto the dropship under the watchful eye of Wraith - the other Heavy Marine who'd managed to get out - and there told to get down to the planet's surface. They ought to be able to survive in the corridors long enough to get another ship in to help.

"Attention all hands of the Frigate Mithradates," Lieutenant DeLoran's voice broke in over unseen speakers, "this ship is now under the control of the 45th Line Battalion. Lay down your arms immediately and procede to Docking Bay Aft Port 2. You have five minutes to get off the ship before we go into orbit." Cali breathed a sigh of relief - they'd taken the Bridge, though at what cost she couldn't yet be sure, and from the line of crewmen with hands raised walking past the open door of the Armoury down toward the dropships, the crew were giving up pretty easily...

Even more buttons...
Fluffie noted apprehensively, now seated in the comfortable, reclined, padded Helmsman's chair on the Bridge of the Frigate Mithradates. The survivors from the ship's crew - most of them, 60 out of 87 - were in the dropship heading planetside now, which left the Marines of the 45th to get off the moon and escape. They could take their time, because the ex-garrisson was well aware that there weren't any anti-ship weapons on Novagorsk, and a Light outfit like the Rangers wouldn't carry an- something on one of the other consoles began to beep frantically. One of the Standard Officers, Lieutenant King, walked over to it, then swore loudly.

"Incoming missiles! Two, inbound, 500 metres and closing, from below at vector one-seven-zero - they're coming out of the canyon!" He shouted, punching keys on the console as he did so.

"Corporal! Get us out of here, now!" Lieutenant DeLoran roared from the Captain's Chair - now the Lieutenant's Chair, perhaps. Fluffie was more than happy to oblige with a couple of anti-ship missiles homing in on the Frigate's rear - he spotted the throttle easy enough, and began to ease it forward. He could feel the slightest twinges of movement as the vessel - much larger than any mere dropship - lumbered into life. "Get a move on, Corporal!" The Lieutenant shouted again, rather unhelpfully.

"Missiles at 250 metres and closing!" Lieutenant King reported, "I don't know how to bring the Aft Shields onl-" Fluffie thought of his wife, his daughter, and the note he had to pass on from Mathers. He decided that the situation was desparate enough for desparate measures, and slammed the throttle up to full power, straining against resistance from the control's hydrolics. The ship surged forwards, pressing Fluffie back into his seat, and through one of the Viewscreens in front of him, displaying an image from one of the external-mounted cameras, Fluffie saw the clouds rush by. Suddenly, they were out of the clouds, rushing up toward the sky impossibly fast. Novagorsk's atmosphere was thin, and didn't extend as far out as did Earth's. Fluffie could see the gigantic shape of Angelska III through the sky above - an impressive and imperious shade of blue as always. He'd wanted to see that planet on the way in, but the Freighter's cargo bay hadn't had any portholes - they were out of the atmosphere. A viewscreen displaying an image from a starboard-facing camera showed the cloud tops of Novagorsk curving rapidly away from them in all directions, more and more distant. Fluffie could see Angelska III perfectly now.

"Missiles at 50 metres and still closing!" Fluffie heard Lieutenant King shout, just about. It was almost as though he was in some kind of trance. Without thinking, he lent forward and pushed the Hyperspace Jump booster to full. How had he known which control it w-

Deep in the darker recesses of the Mithradates...
The creature tapped one of its chitin-clawed front limbs against the steel structure of the vent experimentally - it produced a satisfying noise. The creature did not see - not in the sense that humans saw - but a fraction of a second earlier it had felt the substance of space and time change slightly, which it knew was the sensation of the vessel passing into the realm of Hyperspace, where the laws of physics bent to their extremes. Humans were not sensitive to such subtle shifts, but the creature was no mere human. The creature only hoped that the human working the controls of the ship had pressed the co-ordinate buttons it was supposed to...

Marines: the Christmas Special is over...
What awaits the men (and woman) of the 45th Line Battalion on the other side of the Hyperspace Jump? What is this sinister creature lurking within the depths of the ship? Will Dachi finish his politics essay on time? Find out in the next exciting installment of...Marines.

(Next Thread eta: 2 days approx. 7838 words total.)