User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 28 Mar 2003, 18:35   #1
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Makain is an unknown quantity at this point
Gamecube outsells PS2 & Xbox in UK

This is clearly due to the Dixon/Argon's attempt to get rid of the Gamecube by lowering the price, and the release of Metroid Prime & Resident Evil 0, but more Gamecubes now mean more software sales later, and with Nintendo threatening not to send the GBA SP, I don't think they will drop the Gamecube as they planned.

Quote:
On the heels of the release of Metroid Prime, Nintendo GameCube sales numbers increased by 60% in the UK this past week. For the first time this generation Nintendo outsold Sony and Microsoft by moving 14,000 GameCubes in one week across the UK.

There are many factors that have came into play to increase sales by 60%. The most obvious one was the recent news that Argos and Dixons, two large European retailers, had dropped the price of the GameCube to flush out inventory due to poor sales. Nintendo also released Metroid Prime, which was aggressively marketed throughout the continent with bundles and promotions.

Nintendo hopes that this will continue next week as they are offering a 50 sterling coupon toward GameCube purchases when the Game Boy Advance SP is bought, due out tomorrow. Nintendo has shipped 400,000 units of the GBA SP to Europe and is pumping over 30 million euros into the marketing of the sleek handheld.

Unfortunately, Argos has decided to end the price reduction as of April 1st, which saw the GameCube priced at 78.99 sterling with one game, one controller, and one memory card. That news along with the fact that Nintendo's next big game, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, is not due out until May 3rd, may prove to cause Nintendo GameCube sales to slip back into hibernation again.

Fortunately for Nintendo, the Dixon and Argos price reduction seemed to stimulate sales to new highs for the company. It is now Nintendo's responsibility to keep those sales up in a continent that they now have a second chance in.

We'll keep you posted as it breaks.
Gamecube sales soar for third straight week, outsells Playstation 2
Makain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Mar 2003, 20:24   #2
Muslim
Banned

Muslim is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Gamecube outsells PS2 & Xbox in UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Makain
This is clearly due to the Dixon/Argon's attempt to get rid of the Gamecube by lowering the price, and the release of Metroid Prime & Resident Evil 0, but more Gamecubes now mean more software sales later, and with Nintendo threatening not to send the GBA SP, I don't think they will drop the Gamecube as they planned.

Gamecube sales soar for third straight week, outsells Playstation 2
nintendo must pay for the stupid position with n64
that absurd position of "must not use Cds, Pirates would own us" lead to their downfall
honestly, here in brazil about 60% of the cds of playstation are pirated copies, and despite this, they ended up a major sucess
nintendo, never challange the pirates again. Let them rule unchecked
Muslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Mar 2003, 00:28   #3
Tzencath

Tzencath is an unknown quantity at this point
i liked cartridges, they stood up to being thrown across the room in fits of rage at that one level you just can't do a hell of a lot more than discs do...
Unread 29 Mar 2003, 01:09   #4
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tzencath
i liked cartridges, they stood up to being thrown across the room in fits of rage at that one level you just can't do a hell of a lot more than discs do...
Yup, you can load them into a 12 Bore and blow the crap out of the Xbox.
Unread 29 Mar 2003, 06:13   #5
Tron
GalCiv Enthuisiast

Tron is an unknown quantity at this point
Mario Party is the best game on Gamecube.

Metroid Prime is second best.

R3: {141:7:11} Joshua Calvert of Kiint (The Federation)
R4: {9:25:3} Not Without A Delusion of Grandeur (Unity)
R5: {I forget} Cirrhosis of The Liver
Tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Mar 2003, 19:09   #6
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
eh?

the increase in sales was due to the fact the price was reduced.

IF the Xbox fell to £30, you don't think sales would increase very much?

They reduced the price to get rid of it and clear shelf space for Xbox and PS2, they MAY keep GC games.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Mar 2003, 02:53   #7
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
You need a living room the size of Kent to fit the XBox in, because ITS SO HUGE !!!!!!!11111111

LOLOLOLROFFLERIFFLETOMATOKIDNEYALOLOLOLOLOL !!!!!!!!!&%$)"(

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Mar 2003, 02:58   #8
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Someone lend me £78.99.
Unread 30 Mar 2003, 02:59   #9
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Meat
You need a living room the size of Kent to fit the XBox in, because ITS SO HUGE !!!!!!!11111111

LOLOLOLROFFLERIFFLETOMATOKIDNEYALOLOLOLOLOL !!!!!!!!!&%$)"(
are you on drugs lately ?
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia