User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 Apr 2003, 10:02   #1
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Matrim is an unknown quantity at this point
What the US Army has taught the world after Iraq

The way their effective and powerful army has all but overtaken Iraq quickly and with minor losses, the only thing other states that feel they're 'next on the list' will have gathered, is that if they're to stand a chance, they'll need nukes - fast.

So if anything, I think that the 'axis of evil' and the potentially other axies of evils will intensify their effort to gain a weapon with which they can strike back at the US war machine that would make a difference.

Or am I retarded?

[Thanks Eple. Too bad I can't change it though.]

Matrim

Last edited by Matrim; 10 Apr 2003 at 12:36.
Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2003, 10:06   #2
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
possibly. I dunno.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2003, 10:24   #3
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by WorkMonkey
retarded - even if they could get their hands on Nukes they dont reall have the means to shoot them to america, and even then America has several hundred more to shoot back which would equal maybe the destruction of one major US city, but the total erasing of the country, and I'm sure the Yanks could shoot a missle out the sky, its not like they wont have warning on it.
note, he said the war machine, not nescessarily the US itself.

Unread 10 Apr 2003, 10:27   #4
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
International politics cant be simplified to one persons train of thought.

And besides, there is no "evil".

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2003, 10:43   #5
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by WorkMonkey
retarded - even if they could get their hands on Nukes they dont reall have the means to shoot them to america, and even then America has several hundred more to shoot back which would equal maybe the destruction of one major US city, but the total erasing of the country, and I'm sure the Yanks could shoot a missle out the sky, its not like they wont have warning on it.
Nobody builds nukes to use them. Duh.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2003, 10:45   #6
eple
Voodoo chile

eple is an unknown quantity at this point
taught, it's taught. not tought

mmmmkay
"Nästa melodi som bob hund skall spela nu skrevs långt... långt, långt innan polisen började KASTA... avundsjuka blickar på ungdomarna som speglade sig i skyltfönstren som låg på marken!... Tolka det hur fan ni vill!... Vissa revolutioner sker i badrummet, andra på andra stanser; det är bara upp till er! Det är inte alltid det räcker med att slå hårdare ifrån sig än man behöver! Ibland räcker det med att säga SKÖT DU MITT, SÅ SKÖTER JAG DITT! SKÖT DU MITT, SÅ SKÖTER JAG DITT!!!"
eple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2003, 10:49   #7
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
What Bush hopes is that it's taught the world not to mess with America and when they tell you to do something you'd better damn well do it.

As for whether it has actually taught them that, well, I dunno, since dictators tend not to think very rationally, especially when somebody is bossing them around.

Everybody already knew that you can't win a fight against the American armed forces, whether you have nukes or not.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2003, 11:07   #8
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Also the world has been taught that if your army is well disciplined you dont shoot as many of your allies. The British Army taught that, not the US Army

Vaio
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2003, 11:30   #9
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
to plant american flags in acountry you are liberating.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2003, 11:32   #10
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
to plant american flags in acountry you are liberating.
heh, I notice how this was one of the pictures Al Jazeera used....

Unread 10 Apr 2003, 12:35   #11
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
note, he said the war machine, not nescessarily the US itself.

Correct, I wasn't thinking about launching at the US homeland. More like: "Hey, we have it. It's right here. Look, here's a picture of me holding my finger over this button (the button is red)."

It makes all the difference, really. Nukes are the currency in the power economy.

Matrim
Unread 11 Apr 2003, 00:08   #12
NibNub

NibNub has a spectacular aura aboutNibNub has a spectacular aura aboutNibNub has a spectacular aura about
Unfortunately the major lesson from this conflict is that you cannot beat the US militarily - so why try.

Praise the Lord and pass the Box-cutters....
NibNub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2003, 00:20   #13
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
Re: What the US Army has taught the world after Iraq

Quote:
Originally posted by Matrim
[Thanks Eple. Too bad I can't change it though.]
I can, and did.

As for the rest, it's entirely too simplistic. Nukes won't matter a wit in an armed conflict as it would only amount to MAD without the M.

What it DOES mean, is that other nations have to find a different way to fight a war machine at that level. This is, unfortunately for them, nigh impossible. The militaries of the top nations are heads and shoulders above the rest.
Unread 11 Apr 2003, 00:26   #14
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Re: Re: What the US Army has taught the world after Iraq

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandsnake
I can, and did.

You're a doll, it feels right again.

Matrim
Unread 11 Apr 2003, 13:12   #15
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

I don't think the American army can take all the credit. The Iraqi war planners--or Saddam, who probably overruled them--did their part.

What the Iraqi War Plan has taught the world:

1) Position your best divisions around your capitol, far from the border. This will give the Americans plenty of time to destory them from the air before having to engage them on the ground.

2) Don't offer any serious defense of terrain features like rivers and natural choke-points. By leaving bridges intact and not contesting river crossings, the Americans may advance so quickly that they'll risk outrunning their supply lines. This will also leave them vulnerable to flanking attacks (unless, of course, you've neglected to position units to take advantage of just such a possibility).

3) If you happen to have a cadre of fanatical irregulars, don't go for the obvious ploy of having them harass the American's lines of supply; instead, put them in your cities! That way the Americans can more easily bypass them and bottle them up. When the Americans finally do get around to attacking them, have them operate from schools and hospitals. This will allow you to spend your post-war reconstruction funds on new schools and hospitals.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2003, 14:06   #16
FatboySliM

FatboySliM is an unknown quantity at this point
Bring on the cheap gas! Yeeeeew!

Gonna get me 2 humvees and stand on both of them riding down the highway! Because its my right as an American!

Conan O'Brien
FatboySliM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Apr 2003, 14:20   #17
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus

<stuff>

essentially he didn't follow the basic principles of Sun Tsu

Unread 11 Apr 2003, 15:21   #18
Tzencath

Tzencath is an unknown quantity at this point
it's a simple philosophy here, if you have no chance of beating someone, cause as much damange possible in the process of losing, and in case i'm very much mistaken, nukes fit the bill here...
Unread 11 Apr 2003, 17:58   #19
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
I have the feeling it isn't over yet.

General Franks says the same.
Unread 11 Apr 2003, 21:40   #20
Eidron
The Harsh Light of Day

Eidron is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by FatboySliM
Bring on the cheap gas! Yeeeeew!

Gonna get me 2 humvees and stand on both of them riding down the highway! Because its my right as an American!

Conan O'Brien
It's my right as a Brit to drive a tank through London, but you don't see me doing it.

:e_bunny:

You'll never see me but I am everywhere
Eidron is offline   Reply With Quote