User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 Aug 2003, 03:04   #1
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
How much you wanna bet those WMD's are going to start showing up?

http://www.lakesunleader.com/archive...1000-news1.txt

Quote:
"Seven more soldiers in Iraq have contracted the same puzzling illness that has killed two... The latest cases bring the number of affected troops to 19. All have been evacuated to the same Landstuhl, Germany, hospital where Spec. Josh Neusche, 20, of Montreal was treated before he died July 12. It is believed Neusche contracted the illness, first thought to be pneumonia, while conducting cleanup operations with the 203rd Engineer Battalion in Baghdad. ... 'For some reason doctors have been able to eliminate SARS as a possible explanation for the soldier's deaths and sickness.'" According to a previous story: "Doctors told Neusche's family an unknown toxin was to blame. It quickly attacked Neusche's muscles, kidney and liver."

[A few outlets report that Neusche's unit was working near Baghdad Int'l Airport when the illness struck. This has prompted some to question whether it might have been a hypothetical cargo shipment from the United States which killed these soldiers. So perhaps we will "discover" WMDs real soon now.]

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 03:18   #2
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
£0.26
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 03:22   #3
Monkehpimp
'Useless'

Monkehpimp is an unknown quantity at this point
I only read the first bit, but could it be to do with the use of depleted uranium shells?

I put my 50 cents on no.
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 03:30   #4
Mirai

Quote:
Originally posted by Monkehpimp
I only read the first bit, but could it be to do with the use of depleted uranium shells?

I put my 50 cents on no.
The symptoms in question don't match those of uranium exposure.

So no.

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 03:31   #5
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Gulf War II Syndrome?
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 03:43   #6
Yossarian

Nobody's interested in WMDs anymore. It's all about WMD programs.
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 05:01   #7
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
It seriously wouldn't suprise me if the USA (and others) planeted "WMD(s)" for them to find convieniently, just when they need to.
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 06:23   #8
Monkehpimp
'Useless'

Monkehpimp is an unknown quantity at this point
its more likely they'll just start up on the next country. The media wont remember WMD as soon as that happens.
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 07:54   #9
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Belgarath The Sorcerer
It seriously wouldn't suprise me if the USA (and others) planeted "WMD(s)" for them to find convieniently, just when they need to.
Well they "needed" to find them months ago. It's hardly very convenient to "find" them after taking so much heat for not finding them.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 14:54   #10
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
Well they "needed" to find them months ago. It's hardly very convenient to "find" them after taking so much heat for not finding them.
Yeah, although I wouldn't doubt that the top brass did believe they would find vast amounts of WMD upon entering Iraq (most of these types believe their own propaganda). Maybe they are only now realising that there aren't dozens of missiles lying around to be discovered...

Still, I doubt they would plant anything because the risk of being caught is too high (they'd lose any credibility over any claim ever). Much better to just keep running the story "It was never about WMD, but about regime change, stability, etc. You crazy leftists!"
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 15:28   #11
Fifth_teletubbie
Commander etc

Fifth_teletubbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
On the contrary, it makes it all the more believable, as your own response proves.

Ostraka: It's a Social Club with guns (and K-Y)
Fifth_teletubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Aug 2003, 15:31   #12
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
If they find any now, it would be automatic to assume that they put them there out of desperation.
Unread 4 Aug 2003, 09:07   #13
Mirai

What did I say?

Unread 4 Aug 2003, 10:20   #14
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future
lol

Quote:
People "should not be surprised by surprises", he said.
lol

Quote:
Senator Pat Roberts, the Republican chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, said afterwards:

"I think in view of a lot of criticism, I would not be surprised if there is a surprise that would end up changing a lot of people's minds."
lol, americans beware!

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2003, 10:27   #15
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
i notice the prowars have been very quiet recently

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2003, 11:15   #16
Yossarian

They deserve only to be hit with shoes!
Unread 4 Aug 2003, 16:13   #17
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

The 'Security Risk' argument was bollocks from the start. They completely disregarded the idea that Saddam would likely end up supplying Al-Qaeda with WMD's/Arms, and instead went for a bizzare 'SADDAM COULD NUKE THE UK' argument. Saddam was never a direct security risk since the end of Gulf War I, either too us or his neighbours, because he was completely, unambiguously shown of the consquences of such action.

They should have waited. Saddam and Al-Qaeda would almost certainly have converged at some point. At least Bush's 'Saddam is bad' argument was generally logical, no matter whatever implications it had for diplomatic relations or the international order.

A for Democracy in Iraq: They should have thought about this before they ravaged Iraqi society through sanctions. Was foreign policy always this retarded and short-sighted? I doubt it.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2003, 16:19   #18
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
they had the terrorism argument too ;

the problem was that the terrorism argument was based on the possibility of saddam giving WMD to terrorists...which brings you right back to square one.

hell, even on Fox News the other night they asked their analyst what the fed meant when they said "progress was being made", and the analyst said it probably means they have no leads whatsoever, and are unlikely to ever find anything, but are looking through vast reams of documents and calling it 'progress'
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2003, 16:27   #19
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

The whole thing has been an absolute bloody fiasco from start to finish.

Last edited by Marilyn Manson; 4 Aug 2003 at 16:35.
Unread 4 Aug 2003, 16:39   #20
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
They should have waited. Saddam and Al-Qaeda would almost certainly have converged at some point.
How d'you figure?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2003, 16:47   #21
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
How d'you figure?
Intuition based on experience of what generally happens in these sorts of foreign policy situations.

I used to live in Metternich's waistcoat pockets, you know.

Seriously, who else were they going to turn to but themselves? Even the most ardent ideological crackpot is fundamentally a pragmatist in these situations. Saddam could only have hurt Western intrests through indirect menans, almost certainly through a third party, and bin Laden would have eventually been lured into finding another state-sponsor and 'safe house' before long. Their intrests were so similar that they would almost certainly have linked up in some manner before long. And that's all The US and The UK would have needed, really.
Unread 4 Aug 2003, 17:01   #22
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Why would this Saddam Hussein want to hurt Western interests?
I thought the world was like this before the liberation:
The Kurds were in bed with Al-Qaeda,
Saddam disliked the Kurds,
Saddam disliked Al Qaeda (but had religious links wrt compensating widows and stuff),
Saddam basically liked the rest of the world but was into nationalism,
The rest of the world was mostly ok with Saddam but the UN was interested in this disarmament thing.

correct me if I'm wrong
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2003, 17:10   #23
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
Why would this Saddam Hussein want to hurt Western interests?
Well, assuming he did actually make good on his constant anti-Western rhetoric.

I think saying 'Saddam was being really lovely and co-operative, and was never going to try and undermine Western intrests in the region' is a bit simplistic, but saying 'SADDAM WAS GONNA NUKE JERUSALEM AND INVADE KUWAIT AGAIN AND LAUNCH MISSILES AT THE UK' is just as bad.

Western power in the Gulf and the Middle East was directly detrimental to Saddam's own regional powerbase. If he retained regional delusions of grandeur after Gulf I, and I asume most people here agree that he likely did do, then he would have been almost compelled to try something eventually, albeit covertly. I can't imagine he would have sat on his arse forever. I grant you that it's not certain that Al-Qaeda would definetley be the Middle-organisation, but it was the only really likely one.
Unread 4 Aug 2003, 18:20   #24
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future
problem is that the us economy can be affected by arm industry.
and well afaik the us economy wasnt that fine, before the war, although i might be wrong.
however i dont know in which ways the war affected the us economy...

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2003, 19:05   #25
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Lupin
problem is that the us economy can be affected by arm industry.
Affected, yes; but the arms industry is driven by R&D and procurement of big-ticket items (ships, aircraft, tanks) not a small war like Iraq. Yes, they'll pick up some extra contracts for spare parts and ammunition--but that's pocket change for them (and the economy overall).
Quote:
and well afaik the us economy wasnt that fine, before the war, although i might be wrong.
Well I'm not sure it's all that fine now.
Quote:
however i dont know in which ways the war affected the us economy...
Well, the reconstruction contracts may amount to several billion dollars but even that's not much compared to the overall economy; and when you offset it against the one- or two-hundred billion dollar price tag the war and occupation will likely end up costing--that's a pretty inefficient way to stimulate the economy (even by already-low US government standards). I mean, it'd be a helluva lot cheaper just to give Bechtel a billion dollar contract to repaint Cleveland or something.
Unread 4 Aug 2003, 19:25   #26
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
I mean, it'd be a helluva lot cheaper just to give Bechtel a billion dollar contract to repaint Cleveland or something.
But that would be socialism.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Aug 2003, 20:21   #27
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
But that would be socialism.
Heh. That reminds me of one of my favorite Arnold Glasow quotations:
Quote:
Perhaps taxation without representation was tyranny, but it was a heck of a lot cheaper.