User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 Jul 2003, 03:29   #1
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
Answer me this, MrL..

There is a rectangle with a semicircle on top of it.

This shape has a perimeter of 24.

Assume this shape is a window

What are the dimensions that yield the greatest amount of sunlight?

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting

Last edited by Mirai; 2 Jul 2003 at 06:01.
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 03:34   #2
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
he's not online :\
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 03:47   #3
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
This question is a bit below him.

so:
There's is no unique solution.
If the rectangle is x by y, x+xπ/2+2y=24.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 04:00   #4
Plastic-Wrap
Guilty of being White

Plastic-Wrap is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm so ****ing confused....
<ckx> and they get all bitchy
<ckx> "I"M ONLY 13, I'M ONLY 13!!!"
Plastic-Wrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 04:03   #5
Chojin
Muslim Jr.

Chojin is an unknown quantity at this point
15 + 18 = 31
Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 05:35   #6
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
You need a little more information, don't you?

I got:

Assuming the length of the semicircle (ie. half the circumference, if it was a whole circle) is "z"
And the two sides of the rectangle (ie. those that are part of the 24) are "x"
And the remaining side is "y".

z = 0.5 x (2 x Pi x 0.5y)
:. z ~ 1.57y

z + y + 2x = 24
:. 1.57y + y + 2x = 24
:. 2.57y + 2x = 24

Not sure where to go after this
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 05:59   #7
Mirai

I know it's a little below him, but it took me an hour and a half to get the answer.

And no, you don't need any more information.

Edit: Added a line that makes the answer a little more clear

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 12:25   #8
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
It's a better question with a square.

Differentiate the equation you get for the area when you sub in the one you have for the perim, and set to 0.

Ta ****ing da.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 18:28   #9
Mirai

don't use calculus. More fun that way.

And, btw, a rectangle is still a square.

And it's all nice and good that you can explain the answer, but theory is different from proof.

Unread 2 Jul 2003, 18:33   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai
And, btw, a rectangle is still a square.
Not necessarily.

Lets have a quadralateral with sides of length 2cm and 1cm, and right angles at the corners.

Does that look like a square to you?

(The opposite, square => rec, is true however)

ps

Calculate 5109241 * 1231231 by hand.

Sure you can do it, but there are much better ways and it's pretty damn trivial.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jul 2003, 20:28   #11
Mirai

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Not necessarily.

Lets have a quadralateral with sides of length 2cm and 1cm, and right angles at the corners.

Does that look like a square to you?

(The opposite, square => rec, is true however)

ps

Calculate 5109241 * 1231231 by hand.

Sure you can do it, but there are much better ways and it's pretty damn trivial.
Fine, a square is a rectangle. Happy?

<-- this was inputted by a co worker

And I recognize the reason to use calculus, but I forgot what I was going to say, so..