User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 Aug 2003, 22:05   #1
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point
I got, I know why so many Euros died this summer

Increase of Beer consumption at unusual scale = unusual amount of pissing = dehydration

Discuss.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Aug 2003, 22:39   #2
I Am Grimble
lol

I Am Grimble is an unknown quantity at this point
But I'm not dead

Remember to think happy thoughts
I Am Grimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Aug 2003, 22:42   #3
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by I Am Grimble
But I'm not dead
Maybe you have special survival powers?
Unread 22 Aug 2003, 22:43   #4
I Am Grimble
lol

I Am Grimble is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm a survivor

Remember to think happy thoughts
I Am Grimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Aug 2003, 23:15   #5
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
shut up

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Aug 2003, 23:21   #6
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
I like Guinness.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 00:40   #7
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Seriously, what the ****?
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 00:43   #8
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Oh, so i survived by not drinking beer?

What a sad loser i am
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 04:23   #9
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future
beer consumption didn't increase that much.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 16:33   #10
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
Seriously, what the ****?
I'm amazed that people actually expect Intrepid to talk sense.

And it wasn't loads of Europeans, it was mostly 10,000 French old people.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 16:45   #11
*donkie*
Affectionate Nickname

*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson

it was mostly 10,000 French old people.

/me hands round the celebrations

Unread 23 Aug 2003, 17:25   #12
Chrism
Governor General

Chrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by KoeN
beer consumption didn't increase that much.
It did over here.

Personally I stuck to vodka.
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 18:21   #13
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Were there more unusually high deathrates other than those 10,000 (aparently) French people who died? :/
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 18:39   #14
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Apothos
Were there more unusually high deathrates other than those 10,000 (aparently) French people who died? :/
About 30 Spanish people died, but I'm not aware of anything else.
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 20:19   #15
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts
French people are too stupid to drink more water when its hot. Everyone else knows that you should drink more water when it is hot. Since the French people did not "discover" this simple fact, they refuse to believe that it is true. Hence, they die during heat waves.
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 20:34   #16
Fifth_teletubbie
Commander etc

Fifth_teletubbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Texan
French people are too stupid to drink more water when its hot. Everyone else knows that you should drink more water when it is hot. Since the French people did not "discover" this simple fact, they refuse to believe that it is true. Hence, they die during heat waves.

You should take up comedy as a career.

Ostraka: It's a Social Club with guns (and K-Y)
Fifth_teletubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 20:43   #17
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fifth_teletubbie

You should take up comedy as a career.
Did you laugh when you read my post?

I did not laugh, but I'm still angry at the French people and also the French-speaking Belgians.
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 20:51   #18
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
I did not laugh, but I'm still angry at the French people and also the French-speaking Belgians.
whats wrong with the french (besides that ridiculous language)?
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 20:53   #19
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai
I like Guinness.

Yeah! Woo! I rock! Go Bender!
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 21:10   #20
Texan
Prince of Amber

Quote:
Originally posted by wu_trax
whats wrong with the french (besides that ridiculous language)?
The native French-speaking people seem to think that there is something wrong with me because I do not speak French fluently. They only speak French, yet I speak English, German, Spanish and French, although poorly I will admit, they think they are better than I because they speak French fluently.
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 21:17   #21
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
The native French-speaking people seem to think that there is something wrong with me because I do not speak French fluently. They only speak French, yet I speak English, German, Spanish and French, although poorly I will admit, they think they are better than I because they speak French fluently.
I would imagine a higher percentage of French speak English to a decent level than Brit/Americans speak French.
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 21:41   #22
Texan
Prince of Amber

Quote:
Originally posted by JC
I would imagine a higher percentage of French speak English to a decent level than Brit/Americans speak French.
Based on my personal observations, I would say that more native English-speaking people speak a second language than native French-speaking people speak a second language.

Of course, I lived in a French-language area where the people are known for their ignorance.

Lots of Americans speak Spanish, German, French Chinese, Russian and other languages as a second language. I'm not sure about the Brits.

In my family everyone speaks some Spanish. My grandfather is fluent in Spanish. His parents were German, but they did not teach him German. My cousin John is fluent is French, and of course I speak multiple languages poorly.
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 21:53   #23
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
they most likely have to learn english in school,(probably plus one other language, just like here)
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 22:05   #24
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Whenever I've been to France, the locals have made more of an effort to speak English than the tourists have made to speak French.

But I'm sure it is different in an area with no tourists.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 22:06   #25
JC
lolly roffle

Well i can only speak for Brits, but we are generally known for our ignorance when it comes to foreign languages. In France (not French Canada) kids start learning English at something like 6/7/8, where as in England we dont usually start learning French until 11 or 12. Most Brits who go on holiday to any European country seem to think everyone should understand them when they speak English, and will make little or no effort to speak in the native language.

Anyways i dont particularly like the French, just thought i would support them on this occasion .
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 22:06   #26
Texan
Prince of Amber

Quote:
they most likely have to learn english in school,(probably plus one other language, just like here)
The people I lived with did not speak English. Period. Full Stop. They may have learned other languages, but they did not speak or understand those languages that they may or may not have studied.

The native French-speaking people that I dealt with seemed irritated when I wanted to speak in English, German or Spanish, and they claimed not to understand any of those languages.

I had two choices. Speak French or not communicate.
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 22:17   #27
wu_trax

maybe they didnt want to speak with you then?
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 22:20   #28
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
I had two choices. Speak French or not communicate.
I don't see why you chose to be so annoyed with The French over this; hardly any Britions speak a second language, even half-fluently. There are, I'm sure, many other people around the world that only speak one language too.

Singling French people out for special hate in such a context simply because the language they happen not to speak is yours seems a bit selective and silly to me.
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 22:23   #29
wu_trax

i dont think there are many people, lets say younger than 30, in europe who do not speak at least a little of one foreing language.
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 22:25   #30
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
It depends how little you bother counting. I bet the number that have enough to be even mildly useful isn't that high.
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 22:32   #31
wu_trax

ofc it always depends on if you ever use the language you learned, but english? everyone starts here in the 5th class (probably earlier now, im getting old after all), which means at least 5 years of english in school, most people should remember at least a little that is useful (look at this probably completly ****ed up sentence i just wrote and you hopefully still understood what i tryed to say. ).
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 22:34   #32
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

I've just finished 5 years of French but what they teach us is such bull**** it's no use.
Unread 23 Aug 2003, 22:38   #33
wu_trax

just try to use it. noone here seems to care about grammar or spelling mistakes so i doubt the french will.
Unread 24 Aug 2003, 07:47   #34
Texan
Prince of Amber

Quote:
I don't see why you chose to be so annoyed with The French over this; hardly any Britions speak a second language, even half-fluently. There are, I'm sure, many other people around the world that only speak one language too.

Singling French people out for special hate in such a context simply because the language they happen not to speak is yours seems a bit selective and silly to me.
It would be silly, except they also do not speak German or Spanish even though they share borders with Germany and Spain.

I was living in Wallonia, but the people there are basically French with a different nationality.
Unread 24 Aug 2003, 07:53   #35
Texan
Prince of Amber

Quote:
i dont think there are many people, lets say younger than 30, in europe who do not speak at least a little of one foreing language.
You are fooling yourself. My wife's niece and nephews do not speak any language other than German. They may have studied English, but they do not understand what I am saying when i speak English to them.

An they are intelligent compared to my former Wallonian neighbors.
Unread 24 Aug 2003, 08:42   #36
wu_trax

Quote:
You are fooling yourself. My wife's niece and nephews do not speak any language other than German. They may have studied English, but they do not understand what I am saying when i speak English to them.

An they are intelligent compared to my former Wallonian neighbors.
oh please, speak slowly and thats it. im not especially inteligent, im not the language-type, and i never paid any attention whatsoever on my english-classes (except for the first two years) and still i get along. my only experience with an english speaking country was 2 x 2weeks in uk, but we spend most of the time gambling, drinking and smoking back then)
Unread 24 Aug 2003, 08:56   #37
Texan
Prince of Amber

Quote:
oh please, speak slowly and thats it. im not especially inteligent, im not the language-type, and i never paid any attention whatsoever on my english-classes (except for the first two years) and still i get along. my only experience with an english speaking country was 2 x 2weeks in uk, but we spend most of the time gambling, drinking and smoking back then)
I spent 15 years living in non-English speaking countries. I know how to speak clearly and slowly. Raphaela's family does not understand English. Her brother's girlfriend understands me, but her family does not.
Unread 24 Aug 2003, 18:32   #38
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
It would be silly, except they also do not speak German or Spanish even though they share borders with Germany and Spain.
Errr, how does this relate to my previous statement?

France, Germany etc are some of the UK's most immediate neighbours (France can actually be viewed from some places on the south coast ffs.), and still a high proportion of British people speak no second language, at least in any fluent manner. This is also true the world over. I assume there is a majority of Japanese people that don't speak any Chinese, and vice versa, for example.

So again, why should we single the French out for special criticsm in this department?
Unread 24 Aug 2003, 18:56   #39
wu_trax

Quote:
Errr, how does this relate to my previous statement?

France, Germany etc are some of the UK's most immediate neighbours (France can actually be viewed from some places on the south coast ffs.), and still a high proportion of British people speak no second language, at least in any fluent manner. This is also true the world over. I assume there is a majority of Japanese people that don't speak any Chinese, and vice versa, for example.

So again, why should we single the French out for special criticsm in this department?
you can expect everyone in europe to speak at least a little english though. this damn union is never going to work if people arent even able to speak together.
Unread 24 Aug 2003, 18:58   #40
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Exclamation

Quote:
you can expect everyone in europe to speak at least a little english though. this damn union is never going to work if people arent even able to speak together.
I'm not saying I support the damn thing, I'm just saying it's the reality of the situation.
Unread 25 Aug 2003, 13:12   #41
Elfhelm
Polar Bear

Elfhelm is an unknown quantity at this point
Many New Zealanders can understand Australian nowadays.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Aug 2003, 13:16   #42
endokuken
Banned

endokuken is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Elfhelm
Many New Zealanders can understand Australian nowadays.

Nobody can understand the bloody sheep shaggers though
endokuken is offline   Reply With Quote