User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 19 Jul 2003, 02:11   #1
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Makain is an unknown quantity at this point
US Capitol seized by rioting; Republicans expel Democrats; Fighting breaks out

Quote:
"You little fruitcake, you little fruitcake, I said you are a fruitcake." -Representive Pete Stark
Quote:
"We will not be intimidated, we will not be immobilized; we live in a democracy and not a police state." -Representitive John Lewis
This is why I love congress.

Quote:
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Capitol Police were called in by the Republican Majority Friday to a contentious House committee meeting marked by riot, walkout and accusations of name-calling, vulgarity and physical threats.

Witnesses described flaring tempers. One GOP lawmaker said he almost came to blows with a Democratic colleague who was threatening him.

The partisan bickering later spilled over onto the House floor, where Democrats and Republicans offered conflicting accounts about what happened in the Ways and Means Committee meeting on a pension plan bill.

The whole thing blew up, witnesses said, when Democrats complained of the way committee's Republican chairman, Rep. Bill Thomas of California, was running the session.

The Democrats said they needed more time to review some changes in the legislation after getting them only the night before. A strategy used by the GOP to force controversial bills through.

When they could not to get a line-by-line reading of the bill, a common parliamentary tactic, they walked out and gathered to talk in a library at the back of the meeting room. Thomas, who has a reputation for being blunt, had his staff call the capitol police.

Democrats said Thomas called police to get them out of the room. Republicans said the police were called because one Democrat, Rep. Pete Stark of California, got out of hand.

Stark, they said, stayed behind after his colleagues left the committee room to berate Thomas and other committee Republicans.

According to a Democratic aide, the police came, and under the order of the sergeant at arms, began restraining the lawmakers. The Democrats were eventually expelled by force.

But the matter didn't end there.

Democrats and Republicans hurried to the House floor to denounce one another and give varying versions of what exactly happened.

And long-simmering resentments came to the surface with Democrats -- in the minority -- accusing Republicans of using heavy handed tactics to get what they want.

"We're not taking it anymore," declared House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-California.

But Republicans said it was the Democrats who started it.

Stark "threatened me with physical harm," said Rep. Scott McInnis of Colorado, a Republican who sits on the committee.

"I think it was entirely appropriate for the chairman of the committee to call the sergeant at arms and the Capitol Police," McInnis said. "I considered that a bodily threat and I fully intended to defend myself. To calm this down -- that is why the chairman did that."

Rep. Kenny Hulshof, a Missouri Republican who sits on the committee, read what he described as a transcript of the meeting.

In it, he quoted Stark as saying to McInnis, "You little fruitcake, you little fruitcake, I said you are a fruitcake."

And, according a Republican leadership aide, the 72-year-old Stark called Thomas a vulgarity.

Stark's office disputed that charge. "I just talked to the congressman, and he didn't say any such thing," said Lindsey Capps, Stark's press secretary.

Democrat John Lewis of Georgia likened the appearance of the police to his struggle against Southern police chiefs during the Civil Rights era.

"We will not be intimidated, we will not be immobilized; we live in a democracy and not a police state," Lewis said.

The outrage and indignation came fast and furious from both sides on the House floor.

"How outrageous," Pelosi said before introducing a resolution to condemn Thomas for the way he handled the hearing. The resolution failed on a party line vote.

"The Ways and Means Democrats were subjected to an indignity, an indignity no member should have to endure," said Pelosi.

"Make no mistake about this the police were summoned to remove these Democratic members because the chairman didn't want them in the room and for no other reason."

But Rep. Jim McCrery, R-Louisiana, said "the behavior of the minority ... warranted the sergeant at arms being called."

The legislation, by the way, remains before the committee. It would increase the amount of money Americans can put into retirement accounts and change some of the rules dealing with those plans. The bill is H.R. 1776.
Makain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 02:26   #2
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I don't get whether this is a joke or not :(
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 02:26   #3
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
The capitol isn't rioting dude.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 02:27   #4
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
I don't get whether this is a joke or not

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 03:29   #5
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Heh. Capitol conflicts just aren't what they used to be.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jul 2003, 05:48   #6
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Makain is an unknown quantity at this point
As it just so happens, its not.
Makain is offline   Reply With Quote